Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/15/2009 10:58:01 AM EDT
I'm not sure if there has already been a discussion about this... but I've been getting more and more interested in objects taken from Iraq.  Apperently there is a rule that war trophies can't be sold on eBay, but there is a lot of war stuff on there.  And i read about some marines getting caught selling stuff from Saddam's palace and they claimed they were allowed to bring back ten items.  Also I read an article saying that troops are not allowed to bring back trophies from Iraq and Afghanistan because we are supposedly "liberating" them and not "conquering" them and it would send the wrong message.  Then another article said that troops can bring objects back if they are registered..  whats the deal?  The internet is littered with photos labelled "war trophies", are these guys getting to keep these things and bring them back, like in WW2?  Also a Marine in San Diego got court marshaled because his fiance told a range master that she had "AKs in her garage" and he ratted on her and then police confiscated a brought back AK from iraq: http://images.ibox.bg/2006/12/15/16736/256x192.jpg I guess because it was automatic and not registered...but if it was registered could he have kept it?    
here are some other photos:
http://www.dragunov.net/owners/GySgt_Scott_psl_sm.jpg
http://www.defendamerica.mil/images/photos/may2003/index/ii052003o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2401/2076230567_b42daa098f.jpg?v=0
http://blog.wired.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/10/30/ak47.jpg
http://blog.wired.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/10/30/sniper.jpg
http://www.dsupport.com/index.32.jpg
http://www.dsupport.com/index.29.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1063/643718421_ce7ebcedee.jpg?v=0
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1387/643719077_ea821c31d4_o.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1437/643718019_37de08141f_o.jpg
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 10:59:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I know that everything that I had got searched when I left Iraq and we were told specifically that we weren't allowed to have anything like that.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 11:01:36 AM EDT
[#2]
what keeps troops from mailing things straight to their doorstep?
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The postal clerks that inspect everything you send.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 11:02:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Was there any way that you could have mailed it to yourself?  Not AKs but other stuff?

edit: too late
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 11:04:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What keeps them from going to a privately owned business like fed ex and sending it? As in like i can walk into my local fed ex and mail a rifle to an ffl.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 11:07:03 AM EDT
[#6]
My dad brought me home a chunk of the house they blew up when they killed ude and cusse...i know i didnt spell thier names right, but they dont deserve my time to even give a shit...

anyway, i also have the pic of him picking up the chunck, and the before and after pics or the house where they were killed...not worth anything, but cool as fuck to me
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 11:07:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I've always thought those gold plated guns were fuckin' sweeeet.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 11:07:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Posing with gold plated guns in photos, in Iraq, is not the same as bringing home a war trophy.

I have no idea what the regs are regarding war trophies.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 11:07:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Dem guns prolly use fotay caliber pistol bullets.

Link Posted: 4/15/2009 11:09:54 AM EDT
[#10]
DO WANT!!!!!

Link Posted: 4/15/2009 11:11:00 AM EDT
[#11]
That AK with the green furniture is sexay.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#12]

That is pretty cool. Too bad there's not someone over there at least sending the captured furniture back off those AK's or something. Would be cool to have.

Link Posted: 4/15/2009 11:17:02 AM EDT
[#13]
It's probably a good thing I'm not over there, lest I do as my forefathers before me did and steal every fucking cool thing that wasn't nailed down and take a pry bar to what was nailed down.  That's no shit.  I had kin go over the Germany and Japan and send back all kinds of neat shit.  Guns, militaria, china, pewter, coins, medals, bayonets, you name it.  

Personally, I wouldn't care if it was against regs, I'd pull a Johnny Cash and send it home one piece at a time and reassemble once home, minus the NFA parts of course.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#14]
You're not allowed war trophies and you cannot send such items back through the APO.  Many have been smuggled out however in vehicles, many have been found also.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Warrant officer I know claims to have an RPG launcher he went back to claim after a firefight.  It was special because the RPG hit his humvee but failed to detonate.  I haven't seen it, and I know this sounds like major BS but this guy is a seriously bad motherfucker who was active 8 years for several deployments and only went IRR last year.  He said the way to get stuff home was to get it on a plane elsewhere (he said Germany) where it was easier to move stuff to back to the US.

Again, I'm not attesting to the truth of the story, but it was firsthand from someone who certainly could have.  I'll actually see if he wants to hit the range this weekend and maybe I can ask him if I can have a look-see.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 11:23:21 AM EDT
[#16]

The green furniture AK's are not Iraqi.......they were Russian/Soviet built presentation guns awarded to Interior Ministry/Border Guards/etc.........none in Iraq....

Thread about them as we speak at the akforum.........

Link Posted: 4/15/2009 11:29:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You're not allowed war trophies and you cannot send such items back through the APO.  Many have been smuggled out however in vehicles, many have been found also.

So thats a no-go on the FedEx?
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 11:30:32 AM EDT
[#18]
I know someone (A Major) who has a couple Henry-Martinies and a Snider that he got from A-stan, he said getting the rifles was easy getting the correct bayonets was the tough part.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 11:31:51 AM EDT
[#19]

That's some fucking cool furniture w/matching mag right there! Holy shit.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 11:38:08 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

The green furniture AK's are not Iraqi.......they were Russian/Soviet built presentation guns awarded to Interior Ministry/Border Guards/etc.........none in Iraq....

Thread about them as we speak at the akforum.........

Can you give me a link? I looked around, but couldn't find it.

Link Posted: 4/15/2009 11:41:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It is not permitted.  If you get caught with one of those shiny firearms, you will get hammered.  Your career will be over and you will suffer.  Even those with half a brain know not to fuck around with stealing valuables from the Iraqi or Afghani theaters.  The brainless who do attempt it and get caught have earned their punishment.  I see it as a good, Social Darwinist type filter on our ranks.  Catching dumbasses who ignore the many warnings and removing them from the military improves the quality of our fighting force.

Are you allowed to use captured weapons while your over there? I've seen pictures of troops with AK's and shit slung over there shoulder.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 11:44:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Right along with spinning rims, cuz
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 11:45:07 AM EDT
[#24]
IMO, taking a gun, knife or watch off a dead enemy combatant isn't looting, specially if you killed him personally.  Taking artwork, jewelry, money, etc, etc from civilians or civilian buildings is looting and makes you no better than the idiots that looted NOLA.  Is that how we want to be known?

Of course my opinion means nothing and I'll bow to the wisdom of our men in uniform and their code of conduct.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What keeps them from going to a privately owned business like fed ex and sending it? As in like i can walk into my local fed ex and mail a rifle to an ffl.

not sure there are a lot of Fed Ex offices in Iraq as of yet and if there are I guarantee they inspect as well. Gulf War 1 were weren't allowed to bring back even an AK round. And if you had a sword or bayonet you wanted to bring back they cut the friggin blade off

I did bring back a pretty nice pair of binos though
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It's probably a good thing I'm not over there, lest I do as my forefathers before me did and steal every fucking cool thing that wasn't nailed down and take a pry bar to what was nailed down.  That's no shit.  I had kin go over the Germany and Japan and send back all kinds of neat shit.  Guns, militaria, china, pewter, coins, medals, bayonets, you name it.  

Personally, I wouldn't care if it was against regs, I'd pull a Johnny Cash and send it home one piece at a time and reassemble once home, minus the NFA parts of course.

Probably a good thing you aren't over there and hopefully aren't serving. Integrity is pretty important.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 11:52:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It is not permitted.  If you get caught with one of those shiny firearms, you will get hammered.  Your career will be over and you will suffer.  Even those with half a brain know not to fuck around with stealing valuables from the Iraqi or Afghani theaters.  The brainless who do attempt it and get caught have earned their punishment.  I see it as a good, Social Darwinist type filter on our ranks.  Catching dumbasses who ignore the many warnings and removing them from the military improves the quality of our fighting force.

100% agreement
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 11:55:02 AM EDT
[#28]
I know a lot of guys who  just stashed shit in their unit's conex before they left theater and picked it up when they got home. Not going to say what though...
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 11:55:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yeap.

Didnt an Admiral get busted for a bring back AK from Grenada, or was it Panama?
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 11:55:15 AM EDT
[#30]
after that guys acog got repoed by the FBI after he posted it on here i would be careful about admitting having anything
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 11:56:15 AM EDT
[#31]
They wouldn't let me bring this one back

I did get a bunch of cool trophies when I came back in 05, but leaving in 08 they really cracked down hard.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 11:57:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 11:58:10 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Ask Captain Chontosh.  

Good answer

Link Posted: 4/15/2009 12:00:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right along with spinning rims, cuz

http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/2/21/633708056774609810-theyseemerollintheyhatin.jpg

Sometimes its fun to have flashy shit. Everyone at the range would be jealous as fuck, I know I would lol.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 12:04:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I know someone (A Major) who has a couple Henry-Martinies and a Snider that he got from A-stan, he said getting the rifles was easy getting the correct bayonets was the tough part.

I know a contractor that brought back a Martini-Henry.  I was okay to do so: it also has something to do with the age of the firearm and the availability of ammo
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 12:04:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

sure, the next time im cruising through baghdad ill just look up fedex on the nuvi.  I think there is one right next to mcdonalds and home depot. afterwords ill just hit wingstop and have a few beers and baskets while watching the game.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 12:07:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you allowed to use captured weapons while your over there? I've seen pictures of troops with AK's and shit slung over there shoulder.

ummm...define "use".  if by that you mean carry one around as my duty weapon then no, unless there are special provisions on a MiTT team (which I have seen).  if by that you mean grab one when absolutely necessary and use it to accomplish the mission,and after which turning it over to your S-2, then yes.

see avatar.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 12:08:14 PM EDT
[#38]
brought back AK from iraq:  I guess because it was automatic and not registered...but if it was registered could he have kept it?

The NFA registry was closed in 1986.

No machine guns not registered by that time can be registered.

Link Posted: 4/15/2009 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Some guys get their Iraqi terps to DHL stuff home from BIAP, or so I hear.

A Marine in a firend's unit sent home a bunch of cash, a few pistols, and grenades inside a TV. Then he ran his suck about it at the DFAC, and ATF was waiting for it in the states. Hello prison time!

Link Posted: 4/15/2009 12:11:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Yes, Chontosh gave the arms he took back to the Iraqi's, one bullet at a time
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 12:11:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know a contractor that brought back a Martini-Henry.  I was okay to do so: it also has something to do with the age of the firearm and the availability of ammo

pre-1898 are non-firearms, and not current military issue.  you can buy them and send them home straight from the bazaars on post.  in iraq anything of military nature was not allowed to be sent back at all without a memorandum signed by an 0-5, which wasnt going to happen. it sucks, because I could have traded a leatherman for 4  brand new russian laminate and hungarian blonde AK stock sets with a local sheik at one point.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 12:12:24 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pre 1898 is considered "antique".

Beat by 38 seconds.

Link Posted: 4/15/2009 12:12:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Its a shame they don't allow us to bring hardly anything home.

We had to fill out a lot of paperwork just to bring home AK bayonets and other stuff that we found, or bartered with the IA.

Really wish we could bring home firearms, even if they were limited to SA.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 12:14:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
http://images.ibox.bg/2006/12/15/16736/256x192.jpg

That's some fucking cool furniture w/matching mag right there! Holy shit.

Looks like it'd color coordinate perfectly with the right bowling ball.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 12:16:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Its a shame they don't allow us to bring hardly anything home.

We had to fill out a lot of paperwork just to bring home AK bayonets and other stuff that we found, or bartered with the IA.

Really wish we could bring home firearms, even if they were limited to SA.

no shit, I could have gotten some nice toks, tariqs, helwans, star B and BM's, and even old beretta 92's with the euro heel mag release for dirt cheap.  I saw a lot of semi stuff, like an SVT-40, sks rifles, and SVD's.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 12:17:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Saw a lot of Sterling SMGs there. Brand new, too.

Link Posted: 4/15/2009 12:18:54 PM EDT
[#47]
War Trophies are against GO-1A.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 12:22:08 PM EDT
[#48]
There are small air freight companies which go between Baghdad and here some folks may use to move trophies, that bypass a number of inspections
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 12:31:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Brought home a collapsible stock off an MP5 that had been demilled and a spade grip for a DshK. The spade grip was for the DshK we had brought back from Astan the year before, it was going to be put in front of battalion when it finally got all dressed up. I left before that happened. Both had higher up approval.

My leaving country was delayed a few days as my section leader (an E-6 who thought he knew more about guns and NFA than me) decided to mail some pistols back to his wife and hide 5 AK's and a couple FN MAG's inside the fuel tank of his humvee. A brilliant move considering we were doing long range patrolling and his truck seemed to always run out before making it back, despite everyone topping off before leaving. Last I heard he was spending some time in Leavenworth.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#50]
I heard anitques in a-stan were cool but pretty much nothing else firearm wise. The rules are stupid grenades i can see full auto's sure but pistols, semi auto guns, bolt actions etc that can all be bought legally here i have no problem with its been done in every war since the beginning.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top