Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Most of those photos are just guys in iraq with stuff. Doesn't really mean anything.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 12:44:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Brought home a collapsible stock off an MP5 that had been demilled and a spade grip for a DshK. The spade grip was for the DshK we had brought back from Astan the year before, it was going to be put in front of battalion when it finally got all dressed up. I left before that happened. Both had higher up approval.

My leaving country was delayed a few days as my section leader (an E-6 who thought he knew more about guns and NFA than me) decided to mail some pistols back to his wife and hide 5 AK's and a couple FN MAG's inside the fuel tank of his humvee. A brilliant move considering we were doing long range patrolling and his truck seemed to always run out before making it back, despite everyone topping off before leaving. Last I heard he was spending some time in Leavenworth.

Link Posted: 4/15/2009 12:57:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Brought home a collapsible stock off an MP5 that had been demilled and a spade grip for a DshK. The spade grip was for the DshK we had brought back from Astan the year before, it was going to be put in front of battalion when it finally got all dressed up. I left before that happened. Both had higher up approval.

My leaving country was delayed a few days as my section leader (an E-6 who thought he knew more about guns and NFA than me) decided to mail some pistols back to his wife and hide 5 AK's and a couple FN MAG's inside the fuel tank of his humvee. A brilliant move considering we were doing long range patrolling and his truck seemed to always run out before making it back, despite everyone topping off before leaving. Last I heard he was spending some time in Leavenworth.

There was a motor pool sergeant in 2AD (FWD) who tried this in Desert Storm, but inside a fuel tank trailer-unfortunately, it was mo-gas and very much see-through-I think he would've been getting out of Leavenworth about Y2K time.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 1:05:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Some guys get their Iraqi terps to DHL stuff home from BIAP, or so I hear.

A Marine in a firend's unit sent home a bunch of cash, a few pistols, and grenades inside a TV. Then he ran his suck about it at the DFAC, and ATF was waiting for it in the states. Hello prison time!

Ugh! Fuckstick was just about homefree!

Last time I looked, no firearms from Iraq but you can bring back edged weps now (earlier on even these were verboten). As stated above, I've heard it's okay to bring back old firearms as long as you fill out the forms and shit.

It's always nice to know guys who deal with classified shit the customs guys can't touch!

So I hear, anyways...

Link Posted: 4/15/2009 1:09:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I know someone (A Major) who has a couple Henry-Martinies and a Snider that he got from A-stan, he said getting the rifles was easy getting the correct bayonets was the tough part.

Antique stuff was pretty easy, I went by legal and got a certificate for the post office.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 1:26:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I brought home a bunch of exploded ord in 05, like an exploded(but body intact, even the cone) m77 submunition and the nose off an MLRS rocket that delivered the submunitions.

Customs in kuwait barely glanced at our stuff. The only thing the customs guy actually looked at closely was my Spyderco knife, because he thought it was cool.

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 12:18:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I did get a bunch of cool trophies when I came back in 05, but leaving in 08 they really cracked down hard.

umm like what?
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 6:18:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know someone (A Major) who has a couple Henry-Martinies and a Snider that he got from A-stan, he said getting the rifles was easy getting the correct bayonets was the tough part.

Antique stuff was pretty easy, I went by legal and got a certificate for the post office.

All of the stuff ("antique" HM Rifles) that we saw in the bazaar at Kandahar were Kyber Pass Specials (fakes).

Kyber Pass Henry Martini Info

They would make good wallhangers though.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 7:06:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is not permitted.  If you get caught with one of those shiny firearms, you will get hammered.  Your career will be over and you will suffer.  Even those with half a brain know not to fuck around with stealing valuables from the Iraqi or Afghani theaters.  The brainless who do attempt it and get caught have earned their punishment.  I see it as a good, Social Darwinist type filter on our ranks.  Catching dumbasses who ignore the many warnings and removing them from the military improves the quality of our fighting force.

Yeap.

Didnt an Admiral get busted for a bring back AK from Grenada, or was it Panama?

I heard this story from my dad when he got back from panama. Though he said it was an airforce officer who tried to smuggle a few hundred ak's in empty fuel bladders on a C-130

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 2:50:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did get a bunch of cool trophies when I came back in 05, but leaving in 08 they really cracked down hard.

umm like what?

Ears, baby skulls, gold bricks. You know, the usual.

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 3:03:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
It is not permitted.  If you get caught with one of those shiny firearms, you will get hammered.  Your career will be over and you will suffer.  Even those with half a brain know not to fuck around with stealing valuables from the Iraqi or Afghani theaters.  The brainless who do attempt it and get caught have earned their punishment.  I see it as a good, Social Darwinist type filter on our ranks.  Catching dumbasses who ignore the many warnings and removing them from the military improves the quality of our fighting force.

Yeap.

Didnt an Admiral get busted for a bring back AK from Grenada, or was it Panama?

I heard this story from my dad when he got back from panama. Though he said it was an airforce officer who tried to smuggle a few hundred ak's in empty fuel bladders on a C-130

There was an Admiral that tried to bring home some AK rifles from Grenada.  He was caught, and a letter of reprimand was placed in his record book.  

Simultaniously, there was a Marine Gunny who tried to bring home an AK or two from Grenada.  He was tried and convicted in a general court marshall.  He received time either in the brig or at a federal prison, IIRC.  I remember hearing about it in the news-probably CNN.  I was about 17 or so at the time.  

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#12]

I thought the Pic of the AK with the Green Furniture was from one of the AK factories? There have been a couple threads in the AK forum about that pic.............................
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 3:15:39 PM EDT
[#13]
When I was in Iraq 04-05 it was impossible to even think about getting any weapons home.

The APO searched EVERY inch of any package with extreme prejudice.

Vehicle and quarters shakedowns were rampant, so you couldn't hide anything anywhere.

Upon redeployment, all of our stuff was searched by MPs before we left FOB Ironhorse for Camp Victory, again before leaving Victory for BIAP, and again when we got to Camp Doha, Kuwait before the big bird home.

If anybody successfully got something home, I applaud them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 3:17:50 PM EDT
[#14]
did the .gov bring home a bunch of military hardware for eval?
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 3:29:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Not that I know, but I hear the hull ammo storage compartments on the M1A1's were a good spot.

We had a couple retards in Desert Storm that tried to put AK's inside the tires on the 5 tons, sponson boxes on the tanks as well as the semi redi ammo racks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 3:39:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Can you bring back anything other than weapons, such as a flag or... anything else like that?
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 3:39:20 PM EDT
[#17]
the gun bays in F18's were a good spot to hide shit too..as well as the MWC's and the doors on the 63 pylons

didnt bring any weapons.. but i was able to bring home a bottle of sand (got a bottle of dirt/sand from everywhere ive been.. comon.. non exciting..in know)

some old sadam money..  ,, some shrap from a rocket that nailed right near my can ...  actually pulled it out of my can.. thats kinda cool  "might" have been the one.. yaknow

thats about it..

ETA:  all that shit was in my gear when searched and wasnt considered "contraban" was able to go through with me..
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 3:57:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Can you bring back parts?  Barrels, stocks, grips, magazines, etc.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but what about AK47 magazines? Can you bring a few 30 round magazines, or even a drum back?
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 4:09:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a really cool iraqi flag that is ripped and burned from an IED that exploded next to our hummers. Other than prayer beads and rugs and some ofther shit I didn't bring much back. I have an AO map of ramadi.

The only guff I got from the MPs while being searched were that I had to erase the map pen markings and check point grids with alcohol rub. Iknowiknow I was supposed to make overlays, not penfuck the maps.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 4:12:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Can you bring back parts?  Barrels, stocks, grips, magazines, etc.

im sure they have cought on by now but a bet it has been done..  get enough guys together from your platoon you could bring back a couple weapons
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 4:12:10 PM EDT
[#22]
hadji girl?
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Soldiers in the 'Stan brought back some pre-1898 gun, IIRC.

Bayonets, slings,  and helmets are also allowed.

I am not in the .mil (yet), this is 2nd hand knowledge.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 5:05:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I know a lot of guys who  just stashed shit in their unit's conex before they left theater and picked it up when they got home. Not going to say what though...

This, at least in Afghanistan. One of my best friends is in an Army guard unit that was deployed for a year advising Afghan units. They just piled all their trophy stuff in a conex, along with their issue stuff. No problem. He has some neat souvenirs! Of course the drawback is it might be a month or two before the conex gets back to the armory.

I used to own two duffle bags full of Iraqi web gear that was brought back from Desert Storm by a friend in SF. I wish I had kept it, a bunch of AK chest rigs, pistol belts, pouches, and so forth. I even had a complete Iraqi chem warfare ensemble, with gas mask.

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 5:15:12 PM EDT
[#25]
There are several well-documented cases with guys sneaking weapons back, getting court martialed and being sentenced to some serious years in Club Fed.  It is a violation of federal law as well as failure to obey military regulations and orders.  Bad juju all around.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Back 03/04 I was doing the paperwork to import a Dragunov I used.  The ATF had a couple agents with the CPA that were fairly useless in my effort.  If my memory is correct, (at the time) you were allowed to import one firearm a year as an individual.  Of course it had to be within normal US laws-no auto, explosive, etc.  I ended up getting injured and rotating back before the process was anywhere near being complete and pretty much gave up.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 5:17:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
what keeps troops from mailing things straight to their doorstep?

The postal clerks that inspect everything you send.

What keeps them from going to a privately owned business like fed ex and sending it? As in like i can walk into my local fed ex and mail a rifle to an ffl.

Any shipping service doing business on a US FOB is also required to enforce GO #1.

As for trying to ship on the local economy (should you have access to the local economy), I imagine that would raise questions when it went through customs coming back into the US.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 5:18:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Posing with gold plated guns in photos, in Iraq, is not the same as bringing home a war trophy.

I have no idea what the regs are regarding war trophies.

GO #1 -> Absolutely NO war trophies... Not even Tabasco bottles of sand.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Found it.  The first link is for civilian import.
http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f53303a.pdf
The second is for military members.
http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f53303b.pdf
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top