Let's roll for truth,
Let's not let our children,
Grow up fearful in their youth.

Time is runnin' out, let's roll.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:42:48 PM EDT
[#1]

Is this supposed to make up for "Southern Man"?

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:46:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it just goes to show that even "Hard Core" liberals know this war is right.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:55:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Skynard said what had to be said about "Southern man", lets leave it at that.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:25:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think it just goes to show that even "Hard Core" liberals know this war is right.
View Quote

Yep...it's the self-styled "libertarians" that seem to have a problem with self-defense.  How ironic.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:15:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

And what about their song, "Saturday Night Special" where they want to put them all in the sea?
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:41:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Screw Neil Young!

Never forget, never forgive for "Southern Man"

Link Posted: 1/10/2002 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

And what about their song, "Saturday Night Special" where they want to put them all in the sea?
View Quote

Yea you guys why so down on NY just because he pointed out how bigoted alot of the south was back in the 70s?

How could a state continue to elect a "gov'na, ooh, ooh, ooh" like Wallace.

And you sweet Skynerd has sang more anti gun songs than Young.

Young supported Reagan.

Get over it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 12:07:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Get over it.
View Quote

Hey, I that's the Eagles.  I thought we were talkin' about Neil Young? [;)]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 3:36:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Umm, actually the lyrics go:  "In Birmingham there was a gov'na, [b]boo, boo, boo.[/b]", which is a derogatory to Wallace.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 3:44:55 PM EDT
[#10]
In Birmingham they [b][size=4]LOVE[/size=4][/b] the gov'na
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#11]
"Southern Man" was GROSSLY misinterpreted...............the "critics" that balked on it....took it for face value.....NOT what the message was meant........[argue]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 3:52:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
"Southern Man" was GROSSLY misinterpreted...............the "critics" that balked on it....took it for face value.....NOT what the message was meant........[argue]
View Quote

Someone post the lyrics!

As for Skynyrd vs. Young (music-wise), its a tie.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 3:54:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry, but I sure hate Niel Young. Forget for a minute about what a piece of shit he is, that's bad enough, but what an OVER RATED musician he is to begin with. Nothing special about anything he's done. Kind of like Dylan.

The thing that realy bothers me about that new song of his is how much the guitar line sounds almost exactly like that old Aerosmith song. I can't tell you the name of it since I hate Aerosmith as well, but I've heard it tons of times on the radio and it sounds strangely similiar to the new Niel Young song.  What a hack!

Anyone else notice this?

Oh, and fuck Lynard Skynard too for that absurd "Saturday Night Special" song too.

Man, there's just not enough hate to go around.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Get a life.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 4:01:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Neil Young rules.  Southern Man was just a bad song, period, whether you understood the lyrics or not.  

Changing the topic a little bit, have you heard the new song from Mick Jagger?  I heard it on the radio, thought it was pretty good for a new radio song, then Jagger starts singing.  I was really surprised.  The Rolling Stones haven't had a good new song since 1989, so the new Jagger song surprised me.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 6:05:42 PM EDT
[#16]
What a bullshit song being that the plane was blown out the sky by an F-16.  Talk about re-writing history--ABC or one of the networks wants to do a drama of the Flight 93 incident already!  Pretty soon no one will ever remember that our own government did the deed and then neatly covered their tracks.  

As for Neil, it must hard being an aging hipster.  He used to be so anti-establishment.

I have no idea what the comment about libertarians being afraid of self-defense means.  I'm pro-self defense, but anti-war and anti-empire.  It occurs to me that the war over there isn't meeting any of the stated goals and it sure looks a hell of a lot like a snow job to me.  Where's Osama?  Where's Omar?  What the fuck is really going on?

I guess I just can't get over the BIG LIE that took place on Sept. 11 regarding Flight 93.  

And how can anyone dis Bob Dylan?  The guy single-handedly defined an entire generation's music and the reverberations are still being felt.  Simple?  Sure.  Everything great is usually tremendously simple once some genius points it out for everyone else.  I guess you have to be a musician to appreciate it or something.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 6:11:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I like Bob Dylan.  Especially the albums "Desire" and "Blood on the Tracks" from the mid 70's. Both were fantastic.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 6:20:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Trickshot, specifically what big lie are you talking about? If flight 93 was shot down how come you know about it but no one else does?
This is not a flame, just curious. If you know something, how about sharing it with us. I am certainly not gullible enough to put anything past the federal govt. anymore but this is the first I have heard of this.
What gives?

[grenade]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 6:21:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Dylan single handedly defined a generations music. Pardon me while I shit myself laughing.

There are a few more people out there who had ALOT more influence than Dylan. Dude, you must be high now.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not big on fancy chord structures. I grew up on 80's hardcore and punk. And believe it or not I've played for a few years myself.

So don't give me that "you have to be a musician" shit.

Dylan and Young are WAY over rated. The 60's and 70's were full of musicians that were more infuential and talented than them.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 6:24:46 PM EDT
[#20]
 What the fuck is really going on?

Do you really think that plane was shot down? How did that big 'ol tail fin on the NY plane just fall off? Who sent the anthrax?
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Dylan single handedly defined a generations music. Pardon me while I shit myself laughing.

There are a few more people out there who had ALOT more influence than Dylan. Dude, you must be high now.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not big on fancy chord structures. I grew up on 80's hardcore and punk. And believe it or not I've played for a few years myself.

Dylan and Young are WAY over rated. The 60's and 70's were full of musicians that were more infuential and talented than them.  
View Quote

Ditto my bro from MO.
Best thing ever happened to CS&N was getting rid of Y, although I like some of his stuff.

Link Posted: 1/11/2002 1:42:17 AM EDT
[#22]
that new neil young song is a such a RIPOFF, the local radio station goes on and on about how he was INSPIRED to write that song ...OH BULLSHIT
the guy on the plane whos personal catch phrase is "lets roll" was stolen by young for personal gain, nothing more. [pissed]
same thing that bush did during his speech after the attack, very clinton-esque [puke]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 3:41:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
that new neil young song is a such a RIPOFF, the local radio station goes on and on about how he was INSPIRED to write that song ...OH BULLSHIT
the guy on the plane whos personal catch phrase is "lets roll" was stolen by young for personal gain, nothing more. [pissed]
same thing that bush did during his speech after the attack, very clinton-esque [puke]
View Quote
      YUP........YUP..........[stick]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 3:43:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What a bullshit song being that the plane was blown out the sky by an F-16.  Talk about re-writing history--ABC or one of the networks wants to do a drama of the Flight 93 incident already!  Pretty soon no one will ever remember that our own government did the deed and then neatly covered their tracks.  

As for Neil, it must hard being an aging hipster.  He used to be so anti-establishment.

I have no idea what the comment about libertarians being afraid of self-defense means.  I'm pro-self defense, but anti-war and anti-empire.  It occurs to me that the war over there isn't meeting any of the stated goals and it sure looks a hell of a lot like a snow job to me.  Where's Osama?  Where's Omar?  What the fuck is really going on?

I guess I just can't get over the BIG LIE that took place on Sept. 11 regarding Flight 93.  

And how can anyone dis Bob Dylan?  The guy single-handedly defined an entire generation's music and the reverberations are still being felt.  Simple?  Sure.  Everything great is usually tremendously simple once some genius points it out for everyone else.  I guess you have to be a musician to appreciate it or something.
View Quote
                               There ya` go AGAIN trickster...stirrin the pot.....you KNOW people just gotta believe unk and the morons......not be open minded to the possibility....like you & me.......[spank]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 6:17:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Southern Man,
Neil Young

"Southern man better keep your head
Don't forget what your good book said
Southern change gonna come at last
Now your crosses are burning fast
                                                I saw cotton and I saw black
Tall white mansions and little shacks.
Southern man when will you pay them back?
I heard screamin' and bullwhips cracking
How long? How long?

Southern man better keep your head
Don't forget what your good book said
Southern change gonna come at last
Now your crosses are burning fast
Southern man

Lily Belle, your hair is golden brown
I've seen your black man comin' round
Swear by God I'm gonna cut him down!
I heard screamin' and bullwhips cracking
How long? How long?"

"Grossly misinterpreted"?
Only if words mean NOTHING.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 6:30:22 AM EDT
[#26]
O-K........Enlighten us...what do THE WORDS mean??????
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 6:41:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 6:53:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

U R 2 MUCH.  You're taste in music is in your ass.  80's hardcore&punk, ROTFLMAO.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 7:20:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Y'all need a brain to appreciate Dylan.[:D]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

U R 2 MUCH.  You're taste in music is in your ass.  80's hardcore&punk, ROTFLMAO.
View Quote

Here we have my favorite responder, someone who takes a small piece of what someone said and turn around and try to make a ridiculous point.

First of all, my taste in music has no bearing on whether or not Young or Dylan are over rated musicians. They just are. Get over it.

See, I grew up with hippy parents who listened to lots of music from the 60's and 70's. So while it's not my favorite genre, I am pretty familiar with it. And I say again, there are ALOT better singer/songwriters from that era than either of those worthless shits.

I also listen to alot of old country and bluegrass. Talk about a style of music whose songwriters and musicians put Dylan and Young to shame.

And you need a brain to like Dylan?

BBBWWWAAAAHAAAAA!!!!

Talk about RAOTFLMAO! That's got to be one of the stupidest things I've seen posted here in awhile.

A brainiac Dylan is not. Hell this guy can't even figure out what religion he is. What a freaken goof. And yes, I've heard some of his songs. Those lyrics rank up there with some bathroom wall poetry I've read. I'm surpised he hasn't written a song called "for a good time call."

Or is it just his fans who are smart.

Judging by your gems of wisdom posted here, I'd guess not.

Link Posted: 1/11/2002 4:15:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Well,N Y did say one thing that has some truth-
Rust Never Sleeps.....
or at least I think he did....
or maybe it was just the voices.
again.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 5:45:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Here we have my favorite responder, someone who takes a small piece of what someone said and turn around and try to make a ridiculous point.

First of all, my taste in music has no bearing on whether or not Young or Dylan are over rated musicians. They just are. Get over it.

See, I grew up with hippy parents who listened to lots of music from the 60's and 70's. So while it's not my favorite genre, I am pretty familiar with it. And I say again, there are ALOT better singer/songwriters from that era than either of those worthless shits.

I also listen to alot of old country and bluegrass. Talk about a style of music whose songwriters and musicians put Dylan and Young to shame.

BBBWWWAAAAHAAAAA!!!!

Talk about RAOTFLMAO! That's got to be one of the stupidest things I've seen posted here in awhile.

A brainiac Dylan is not. Hell this guy can't even figure out what religion he is. What a freaken goof. And yes, I've heard some of his songs. Those lyrics rank up there with some bathroom wall poetry I've read. I'm surpised he hasn't written a song called "for a good time call."

View Quote

Like I said.  Y'all need a [b]BRAIN[/b] to appreciate Dylan.
And I'm glad I didn't have kids while I was a hippy listening to Dylan, CSN&Y, etc. or they, like you would have their taste in their [b]ASS[/b].
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Back to the original topic, I think the song is bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

BBBWWWAAAAHAAAAA!!!!

View Quote

Like I said.  Y'all need a [b]BRAIN[/b] to appreciate Dylan.
And I'm glad I didn't have kids while I was a hippy listening to Dylan, CSN&Y, etc. or they, like you would have their taste in their [b]ASS[/b].
View Quote

My god man, that's all you can come up with?

That's the second time you've insulted my taste in music without addressing anything I had to say.

I guess Bluegrass is "taste in your ass" music?

Hell, even Dylan was influenced by that folk/bluegrass you fucking moron! Not that he did anything good with it.

You my sir need to THINK before you post such obvious CRAP.

Do you even bother to read before you post? Get a freakin life.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 5:11:15 AM EDT
[#35]
seamusmcoi, Please accept my embarressed apology for typing the way I did last nite.
I was drunk.
Dylan is just an entertainer from my past.
A reporter once asked him if he saw himself as a visionary and he replied with something like "I see myself as a song and dance man."
I don't listen to much music at all any more except classical and some jazz.
Again, I'm sorry, man.[V]
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 7:16:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

[quoteYea you guys why so down on NY just because he pointed out how bigoted alot of the south was back in the 70s?
View Quote

Your right their were and still are many southern biggots, Young was just jumping on the bandwagon putting the South down.  Don't forget the South doesn't have a monoply on biggots.

View Quote

The last time Wallace was elected he got the overwhelming majority of black and liberal votes, they must have had a short memory.

Link Posted: 1/12/2002 7:37:58 AM EDT
[#37]
FUCK NEIL YOUNG!

I am from Texas. I am white. Many of my best friends are of differing races, and I have dated differing races. I went to a predominantly black high school and have had friends of differing races live with me when they were looking for work, as I don't care. So, again I say "Fuck Neil Young!"

As far as Dylan, I get the impression that many of you don't understand what he meant in the 60's and 70's to us.

Southern man? Bullshit. The most prejudiced two people, other than the Japanese, I've EVER met were from Rochester, NY and Long Island, NY.

One of them was my boss and never hesitated to discuss what a bunch of rednecks Texans were, while simultaneously telling me not to hire any more "niggers" or "spics", because he didn't want to have them in his department.

The other one I pushed out the door of the company by advising him to look for a job after he used the word "nigger" in the lobby of the Children's hospital in which we worked.

While there are intolerant ignorant bastards in all states, I don't think the South has any lock on prejudice.

Though, of course, in Japan, we're all Giejing

Did I mention FUCK NEIL YOUNG?!
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 8:13:11 AM EDT
[#38]
You can thank Neil Young for his singlehanded creation of the grunge movement.  Yippy, a bunch of unwashed, angst-filled, rich suburban white kids bitching about how bad life is.  Neil Young sucks.  Bob Dylan was a good songwriter, but I find it interesting that everybody who covers his songs sound a lot better than he did the first time around.  Dylan, as a musician and singer, sucked.

Lowdown:

Young rode the fame of a bunch of other talented musicians to create the worst POS musical genre ever.

Dylan was an immensely talented songwriter who sang and played guitar like a broken record.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 8:42:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[quoteYea you guys why so down on NY just because he pointed out how bigoted alot of the south was back in the 70s?
View Quote

Your right their were and still are many southern biggots, Young was just jumping on the bandwagon putting the South down.  Don't forget the South doesn't have a monoply on biggots.

View Quote

The last time Wallace was elected he got the overwhelming majority of black and liberal votes, they must have had a short memory.

View Quote
                                           Young was not putting down the "south"...just anti-racist......there really were no slaves in the "north"......Wallace ended up with some black votes because he did a complete 180 on his racial stance......apparently, a "near death" experience resulted in opening up his once narrow mind........research the music and history of the group Lynard Skynard....and you will find that they have said "....we love niel young and his music".....apparently, they were searching for lyrics to fill a song... and SELL.....[argue]
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 9:50:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Young was not putting down the "south"...just anti-racist......there really were no slaves in the "north"......Wallace ended up with some black votes because he did a complete 180 on his racial stance......apparently, a "near death" experience resulted in opening up his once narrow mind........research the music and history of the group Lynyrd Skynyrd....and you will find that they have said "....we love niel young and his music".....apparently, they were searching for lyrics to fill a song... and SELL.....
View Quote

Yes, Young was being anti racist, but I'm pretty sure he mentioned something about a "southern man" in his lyrics, maybe not a put down for the entire south but certainly its insinuating southern racism.

And their hadn't been slave in the south for a 110 years when this song came out.

Yea, yea Wallace did a complete 180 degree turn around...he was like most other polticians a liar... I think Wallace simply re-invented his self to get re-elcted.

I'm aware of the history of Lynyrd Skynyrd and agree with your statement.

Link Posted: 1/12/2002 11:05:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote
                                           Young was not putting down the "south"...just anti-racist......there really were no slaves in the "north"......Wallace ended up with some black votes because he did a complete 180 on his racial stance......apparently, a "near death" experience resulted in opening up his once narrow mind........research the music and history of the group Lynard Skynard....and you will find that they have said "....we love niel young and his music".....apparently, they were searching for lyrics to fill a song... and SELL.....[argue]
View Quote
Traveling all over the country, I find that the South has NO monopoly on bigotry.  It has been for decades portrayed as such by the media and everyone seems to believe it.  Some of the most bigoted rednecks I have found are in NYC.  For a song to condemn a particular section of the country for something that is prevelant throughout the U.S. is assinine, both on the part of Young and anyone who tries to justify that song.  As was already pointed out, slavery had been a non-issue for over 110 years when this song came out and was a non-issue in the Civil War.

As for Skynyrd, I pointed out that "Saturday Night Special" was an anti-gun song several months back and got barbecued for it.

Up until "Southern Man", I liked N Y's music, but would not listen to it after that for political reasons.  I found the song offensive, but apparently it is okay to insult Southerners without being chastised by the PC thought police.

Oh, trickshot, as usual, you are full of it.  It doesn't matter what the subject, you will always inject your paranoid delusions and anti-Americanisms.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 2:14:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
seamusmcoi, Please accept my embarressed apology for typing the way I did last nite.
I was drunk.
Dylan is just an entertainer from my past.
A reporter once asked him if he saw himself as a visionary and he replied with something like "I see myself as a song and dance man."
I don't listen to much music at all any more except classical and some jazz.
Again, I'm sorry, man.[V]
View Quote

Hey, no big thing fella. I've posted some things I wished I hadn't after having getting a bit shitty myself. And some things that weren't that nice, so I can't cast the first stone. No hard feelings here.

And don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are bands I like that you'd consider over rated (or worse).
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 2:56:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Screw Neil Young and his friggin song, you know a Southern Man don't need an a-hole like him around anyhow!

Or words to that effect.

Eric The(BobDylanInDallas02-22-02!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Neil Young = HERO
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 5:17:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 5:38:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Is this supposed to make up for "Southern Man"?

View Quote

One would suppose!
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 5:43:50 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't give a fine damn what the Skynnard song was about.

since I heard that song years ago I refuse to listen to their shit!

"handguns are made for killin....they ain't no good for nothin' else.......... bastards!
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 5:47:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
LarryG, Precisely who was the blazing deaf moron who roasted you for saying Skynyrd's "Mister Saturday Night Special" was an antigun song?
Believe me, I lost a good bit of respect for Ronnie van Zant when I listened to that song, and found that he was basically pinning the blame for the consequences of his hellraising lifestyle on the guy, or guys, that confronted him with a gun after they caught him with their girlfriends.  IMHO, "MSNS" was a complete reversal from the individualistic, pull-self-up-by-bootstraps lyrics that had come before.
Of course, "Lend a Helping Hand" was a reflection of that "gimmegimme" worldview as well.
View Quote
I can't find the thread now, it has been a while, but I got roasted good.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 5:19:47 AM EDT
[#49]
[b]Lynyrd Skynyrd[/b] is the correct spelling, peoples.  [;)]
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 5:26:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top