Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/9/2002 5:25:08 PM EDT
Do the both measure the same thing? How do you compare the two? Is there a formula to convert one to the other?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 5:49:08 PM EDT
They measure the same thing. Multiply Lumens by .08 to get Candlepower.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:04:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By bolt: MadMatt....you sure? I got a 1 million candle power light,6V rechargeable.....I was thinking of a surfire 6v65lum2batt-or -9v120lum3batt surefire...the 5.2 candlepower=65 lumens 6p SOUNDS alot brighter than that.
View Quote
.....I would think..(it hurts when i do)...the bulb and reflector around it might have some bearing also.?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:37:03 PM EDT
I suspect the 1 million candlepower number was made up by the light company's marketing dept.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:58:34 PM EDT
Maybe,its a Vector VC127Y.Just looked at the carton it says, 1 million cp,and blinds the crap outta anyone its pointed at.~
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 1:33:26 AM EDT
Here's what Laser Products, the makers of Sure-Fire Tactical lights, has to say about it. The lumen is a measure of the amount of light, as opposed to the intensity of light. A typical 75 watt incandescent light bulb has an output of 1080 lumens. At a distance of ten feet, this light bulb would provide uniform illumination of slighty less than one lumen per square foot. Another measure of light is the Candlepower, which is not a measure of the amount of light but a measure of the intensity at a given point in a foucsed beam. Because such a measure produces impressively large numbers, it is often quoted by other manufacturers. For example, the above 75 watt bulb equipped with a reflector could be rated, under certain conditions, as producing over 2 million candlepower. Since this rating is highly dependent uopn which point within a given beam is being measured, candlepower ratings can be very unrealistic and, therefore, certainly not a true measure of the amount of light being produced. Get all that? [;)]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 1:50:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 7:33:45 AM EDT
Thanks for those answers,I was wondering this myself.[;)]I fully understand.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 7:44:04 AM EDT
Damn I love this site. Aviator [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 7:47:07 AM EDT
What I love is the single hollywood candle that has a several billion candle power. You have all seen it, an actor will light a single candle in a dark cave or room and it looks like a sunny day in Miami! I need several of those candles for when SHTF! You guys forgot about LUX measurements.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 9:33:15 AM EDT
remember frying stuff w/ a magnifying glass?... that's some candlepower (at the point of focus).
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 9:36:48 AM EDT
Originally Posted By slacko: remember frying stuff w/ a magnifying glass?... that's some candlepower (at the point of focus).
View Quote
Funny though, 1 candle will burn leaves, bugs, etc. just as well as a 30,000,000 candlepower focus of a magnifying glass. In fact, probably better!
Top Top