Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2002 5:25:08 PM EDT
Do the both measure the same thing?  How do you compare the two?  Is there a formula to convert one to the other?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 5:49:08 PM EDT
[#1]
They measure the same thing. Multiply Lumens by .08 to get Candlepower.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
MadMatt....you sure? I got a 1 million candle power light,6V rechargeable.....I was thinking of a surfire 6v65lum2batt-or -9v120lum3batt surefire...the 5.2 candlepower=65 lumens 6p SOUNDS alot brighter than that.
View Quote
.....I would think..(it hurts when i do)...the bulb and reflector around it might have some bearing also.?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:37:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I suspect the 1 million candlepower number was made up by the light company's marketing dept.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe,its a Vector VC127Y.Just looked at the carton it says, 1 million cp,and blinds the crap outta anyone its pointed at.~
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 1:33:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's what Laser Products, the makers of Sure-Fire Tactical lights, has to say about it.

The lumen is a measure of the amount of light, as opposed to the intensity of light. A typical 75 watt incandescent light bulb has an output of 1080 lumens. At a distance of ten feet, this light bulb would provide uniform illumination of slighty less than one lumen per square foot.

Another measure of light is the Candlepower, which is not a measure of the amount of light but a measure of the intensity at a given point in a  foucsed beam. Because such a measure produces impressively large numbers, it is often quoted by other manufacturers. For example, the above 75 watt bulb equipped with a reflector  could be rated, under certain conditions, as producing over 2 million candlepower. Since this rating is highly dependent uopn which point within a given beam is being measured, candlepower ratings can be very unrealistic and, therefore, certainly not a true measure of the amount of light being produced.

Get all that? [;)]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 1:50:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 7:33:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for those answers,I was wondering this myself.[;)]I fully understand.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 7:44:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Damn I love this site.

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 7:47:07 AM EDT
[#9]
What I love is the single hollywood candle that has a several billion candle power.  You have all seen it, an actor will light a single candle in a dark cave or room and it looks like a sunny day in Miami!  I need several of those candles for when SHTF!

You guys forgot about LUX measurements.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 9:33:15 AM EDT
[#10]
remember frying stuff w/ a magnifying glass?...  that's some candlepower (at the point of focus).
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 9:36:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
remember frying stuff w/ a magnifying glass?...  that's some candlepower (at the point of focus).
View Quote

Funny though, 1 candle will burn leaves, bugs, etc. just as well as a 30,000,000 candlepower focus of a magnifying glass.  In fact, probably better!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top