Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/10/2001 4:10:04 PM EDT
And how about the stock? I figured the stock was because of trigger pull. The only thing I can come up with on the handgaurds is that there are no sharp edges in nature, so the round handgaurds would blend in better. Am I on the right track here? Or is there something I'm missing?
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:36:56 PM EDT
It takes two molds to make a Tri HG. You need one for the Rd. HG. plus there is no right and left side so if one part breaks you just need a round HG piece rathe then needing a left side and all that is availiable is rights. GG
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:39:42 PM EDT
I should have known it was that easy (me banging palm of my hand against my forehead).
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:43:40 PM EDT
So who prefers A1's(handguards) over A2's,(handguards) or vice versa...and why? When I was in the service there were just A1's, but I like A2's for shooting off the bench. A1's more for carrying...
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:46:08 PM EDT
I seem to remember that the A1 style tended to be a little fragile, as well. Vulcan94
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:52:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Vulcan94: I seem to remember that the A1 style tended to be a little fragile, as well. Vulcan94
View Quote
Think of all those SP1s out there with those HG. Tough little bastards. I think the A1s are nicer but I like that vietnam look. GG
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:56:50 PM EDT
A1 is made of "lesser" plastic and is not as rugged as the A2. Like some other things, the A2 is "ribbed . . . for her pleasure." Or for a better grip and more strength. Round, to most people, is more comfortable to hold than the triangular handguards.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:04:26 PM EDT
Another improvemant of the A2 handguard is heat dispersion. On page 345 of "The Black Rifle", they show the results of testing round vs. triangular, & heavy vs. standard barrels, there is a BIG difference: Testing was done with "thermocouples mounted on the handguards, each weapon was fired in 25 round bursts with 1 minute cooling between bursts to a total of 300 rounds." The results were: Heavy barrel w/round handguard - 112 degrees Heavy barrel w/triangular handguard - 164 degrees Standard barrel w/round handguard - 121 degrees Standard barrel w/triangular handguard - 194 degrees
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 7:09:01 PM EDT
I love the look of the triangles!! I also think the triangles are easier to grip & to hold on to. The ribs on the round ones don't do jack shit for me. I just wish Harris would make a bipod adaptor for the triangles. [>(] ColtShorty GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 7:36:06 PM EDT
The newer types do seem to be more rugged I admit, so for a SHTF I guess they might be better...but I still like the triangular
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 7:45:35 PM EDT
Speaking of A1 furniture, does anyone know where I can get a hold of a set of original wood, Colt A1 furniture and the approximate cost?
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:05:49 PM EDT
A2 furniture is more stylish looking. It give it a meaner look. I hate the Oprah look on the A1 guards. A2 gives an old war horse a new sleek look.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:24:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By M15A2: I hate the Oprah look on the A1 guards.
View Quote
I don't get it? While I admit the A2 guards are an improvement, I like the traditional look of the triangular HG. I have a set of both, and depending on what I feel like on any given day, will swap each other out. Somebody always comments on the triangular HG. The A2 HG are to damn common.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:29:18 PM EDT
Oprah look? That's really low...Maybe a Bill Maher "look" is worse A1 = 6.5 lbs vs whatever the new ones weigh... 8 or 9 lbs...why not just get an M1 or M1A, or FAL
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:30:41 PM EDT
Fat and then skinny again, i.e. not a uniform size. hehe
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:32:48 PM EDT
Originally Posted By M15A2: Fat and then skinny again, i.e. not a uniform size. hehe
View Quote
Ahhhh....gotcha. LOL [:)]
Top Top