Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2001 4:10:04 PM EDT
And how about the stock? I figured the stock was because of trigger pull.

The only thing I can come up with on the handgaurds is that there are no sharp edges in nature, so the round handgaurds would blend in better.

Am I on the right track here? Or is there something I'm missing?
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:36:56 PM EDT
[#1]
It takes two molds to make a Tri HG. You need one for the Rd. HG. plus there is no right and left side so if one part breaks you just need a round HG piece rathe then needing a left side and all that is availiable is rights.
GG
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:39:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I should have known it was that easy (me banging palm of my hand against my forehead).
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#3]
So who prefers A1's(handguards) over A2's,(handguards) or vice versa...and why? When I was in the service there were just A1's, but I like A2's for shooting off the bench. A1's more for carrying...
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:46:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I seem to remember that the A1 style tended to be a little fragile, as well.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I seem to remember that the A1 style tended to be a little fragile, as well.

Vulcan94
View Quote

Think of all those SP1s out there with those HG. Tough little bastards.

I think the A1s are nicer but I like that vietnam look.
GG
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:56:50 PM EDT
[#6]
A1 is made of "lesser" plastic and is not as rugged as the A2.  Like some other things, the A2 is "ribbed . . . for her pleasure."  Or for a better grip and more strength.  Round, to most people, is more comfortable to hold than the triangular handguards.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:04:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Another improvemant of the A2 handguard is heat dispersion. On page 345 of "The Black Rifle", they show the results of testing round vs. triangular, & heavy vs. standard barrels, there is a BIG difference:

Testing was done with "thermocouples mounted on the handguards, each weapon was fired in 25 round bursts with 1 minute cooling between bursts to a total of 300 rounds."

The results were:
Heavy barrel w/round handguard - 112 degrees

Heavy barrel w/triangular handguard - 164 degrees

Standard barrel w/round handguard - 121 degrees

Standard barrel w/triangular handguard - 194 degrees
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 7:09:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I love the look of the triangles!! I also think the triangles are easier to grip & to hold on to. The ribs on the round ones don't do jack shit for me. I just wish Harris would make a bipod adaptor for the triangles. [>(]

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 7:36:06 PM EDT
[#9]
The newer types do seem to be more rugged I admit, so for a SHTF I guess they might be better...but I still like the triangular
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Speaking of A1 furniture, does anyone know where I can get a hold of a set of original wood, Colt A1 furniture and the approximate cost?
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#11]
A2 furniture is more stylish looking.  It give it a meaner look.  I hate the Oprah look on the A1 guards.  A2 gives an old war horse a new sleek look.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I hate the Oprah look on the A1 guards.  
View Quote

I don't get it?

While I admit the A2 guards are an improvement, I like the traditional look of the triangular HG. I have a set of both, and depending on what I feel like on any given day, will swap each other out. Somebody always comments on the triangular HG. The A2 HG are to damn common.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Oprah look? That's really low...Maybe a Bill Maher "look" is worse
A1 = 6.5 lbs vs whatever the new ones weigh... 8  or 9 lbs...why not just get an M1 or M1A, or FAL
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:30:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Fat and then skinny again, i.e. not a uniform size. hehe
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Fat and then skinny again, i.e. not a uniform size. hehe
View Quote

Ahhhh....gotcha. LOL [:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top