Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:27:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

now if a tip is required then it would be called a "service charge", not a gratuity or tip  (and then sirensong would behappy since then he could have people arrested for theft of services for not paying it!)

Tipping is not required by law. The waiter must claim his tips at the end of the shift. If his claimed tips + base pay does not add up to average minimum wage at the end of the pay period then the employer (restaurant) must pay the difference. Get enough low class "stiffers" in the restaurant and the store will either raise its prices (we're talking on the order of 30-50% here) or go under.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:27:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Your bill at a resturaunt is for the FOOD.  It does NOT cover the SERVICE that you recieved.  Waitstaff are paid $2.13/hour.  

You don't get it as evidenced by these sentences. The bill does cover service, at least basic service, if you are being paid an hourly wage at all.

It is YOU who do not get it, as it is obvious you have never waited tables.  The actual waiting of tables is only about 70% of what a server does. The rest of it involves cleaning the tables/floors/parts of the kitchen/ect.  It also involves some food prep, and other duties.  That is what the $2.13/hr covers.  Service is paid for by tips.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:27:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Also many people get great food and service, and then make bullshit complaints at the end to get out of paying.  Thieving deadbeats is what they are.  This is what waiters are up against, and why they are so vocal about stiffing. Imagine if you bust your ass all day, and still you are robbed of $100-$200 a month just because people dont feel like paying.  You'd want to call the cops and sue people wouldnt you?  

If I charged a set rate for my time and my labor, you bet your ass I would come after someone for stiffing me.

If they have the option of paying me for it or not, it would suck not to get payed, but that doesn't change the fact that it is their option. You aren't getting robbed by people that don't leave tips, you are getting robbed by employers who don't pay you enough to make a living without relying on the kindness of strangers.  

Actually the restaurant is pawning off their expenses to the customer, by taking advantage of an old defunct custom.  Im just speaking to the ethics of the issue, we all know its a bad job.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Again, it was not a general rebuttal, and if that was your intent I suggest some writing lessons because you failed miserably.

You need to get over the occasional asshole who happened to stiff you out of a tip.

And just how the fuck do you "know" what my intent was? Specifically when I've told you twice and you can't comprehend it? We're done, fuck off.

BTW - I always got over it on the few times I was stiffed. Especially when I recognized a guy who thought he was entitled to free service come back in. Revenge is a great theraputic device. Your waiters like it too.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:29:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Your bill at a resturaunt is for the FOOD.  It does NOT cover the SERVICE that you recieved.  Waitstaff are paid $2.13/hour.  

You don't get it as evidenced by these sentences. The bill does cover service, at least basic service, if you are being paid an hourly wage at all.

It is YOU who do not get it, as it is obvious you have never waited tables.  The actual waiting of tables is only about 70% of what a server does. The rest of it involves cleaning the tables/floors/parts of the kitchen/ect.  It also involves some food prep, and other duties.  That is what the $2.13/hr covers.  Service is paid for by tips.  

Nope you're the one who doesn't get it.
Link from a previous post:www.dol.gov/elaws/faq/esa/flsa/002.htm
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:30:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Your trailer park is showing. Going in and having someone work for you then not having the class to pay them for that work is where the immaturity comes in. How would you like it if I didn't pay you after you came and dug that ditch in my yard?

A waiter doesn't work for the patrons of a resturant. He works for the owner of the resturant.

If you hired me to dig a ditch in your yard, and payed me for it, would you feel obligated to pay the guy that I sent to dig the ditch also?

You might do it because you are a nice guy, but you would not be obligated to. His pay is supposed to come from me, his employer.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:31:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Again, it was not a general rebuttal, and if that was your intent I suggest some writing lessons because you failed miserably.

You need to get over the occasional asshole who happened to stiff you out of a tip.

And just how the fuck do you "know" what my intent was? Specifically when I've told you twice and you can't comprehend it? We're done, fuck off.

Again you fail at reading comprehension. No wonder your writing is so poor.
I didn't say I knew that was your intent, as evidenced by what is highlighted in red. I said you failed miserably if that was your intent.

I'm so hurt that you called me a "tool" when it is so obvious that you lack adequate reading and writing skills.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:32:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Call me what you will but:

If you give good service, it will be reflected in your tip.

If you give crappy service, it will be reflected in your tip or lack thereof.

If you give crappy service and I complain, I don't expect any sort of compensation but it's appreciated.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:33:02 PM EDT
[#9]
example of waiter friend in DFW area who stood up for himself and both he and his employer benefit!
in a 4 star restaurant: he does not expect tips, he gets a base pay of $40k/yr and usually receives >$30k in tips per year!  he works about 6 days per week lunch 10:30-2:30 and dinner 4:30-11:00

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:33:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Another typical Wait Staff Aplogist line.

Great,  servers that screw customers on purpose, that is really mature and funny.

Your trailer park is showing. Going in and having someone work for you then not having the class to pay them for that work is where the immaturity comes in. How would you like it if I didn't pay you after you came and dug that ditch in my yard?

Are we arguing tipping at all even if the service is good or whether or not a tip is required even for poor service? If the service really isn't then no tip or very little has been earned. If you are just cheap then I agree, pay up.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:34:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A waiter doesn't work for the patrons of a resturant. He works for the owner of the resturant.

If you hired me to dig a ditch in your yard, and payed me for it, would you feel obligated to pay the guy that I sent to dig the ditch also?

You might do it because you are a nice guy, but you would not be obligated to. His pay is supposed to come from me, his employer.

Would you go out and dig a ditch for less than half minimum wage?

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:34:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Re: Food tampering.

I've never seen it happen at my restaurant.   I believe that it does happen, but I've worked in the same place for over 7 months, and never seen or heard of ANY kind of food tampering.  

Yeah, I'm sure it happens. It reminds me about that "Wing Hunt" thread a few months back.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:35:13 PM EDT
[#13]
A person hands you a menu, writes down your food order, and carries it to the cook.  Then that person carries your food from the cook to you,  Occasionally when they get around to it they fill up you water/tea glass.  Then later they bring you a bill.

That work is worth more than min wage?

Remember the old burger joints that had a "Sonic" type menu and speaker phone at each booth?  You call in your order then owner brings it out?  Now THAT was fine dining.  You just have to manage your standards and expectations.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:36:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If the bill didn't cover service, there would be mandatory service fees on all bills, like the ones they have for large parties.

most places say they automatically add a "gratuity" for larger parties and a few years ago in a NY pizza place it was challenged...guy got arrested, then let go...they used the word gratuity or tip and if it was a fee it should have said "service charge" or similar...
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I'm so hurt that you called me a "tool" when it is so obvious that you lack adequate reading and writing skills.

Sorry, I was distracted by your mom in a g-string waxing my pole.

Now go stick a band-aid on your clit and get over your little sissy fit or we can take this to the pit.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:38:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now go stick a band-aid on your clit and get over your little sissy fit or we can take this to the pit.

You are showing your raising with that one. No class.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:38:17 PM EDT
[#17]
If you're so concerned about minimum wage then get a job at a fast food place. The truth is you go into a wait staff job with the understanding that you can either make bank or very little. Just like a commission job. Feast or famine. If you want a job with a steady paycheck and no risk, find another line of work.

As for the contention that people don't want to tip and make up excuses or that people who can't afford to tip need to eat at home, I'm sure there are cheapskates out there. I don't apologize for their actions. However, no service or extremely poor service will not be rewarded, see examples of mine on page one. Also I go into a resturant expecting to tip 20% and mentally prepared to tip more.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:39:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then I'm certainly in the right thread.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:40:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're the one who said you were done.  If you're done, let it go.

It's ironic that you complain about sissy fits and then resort to mom jokes. Pathetic, really.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:41:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
You aren't getting robbed by people that don't leave tips, you are getting robbed by employers who don't pay you enough to make a living without relying on the kindness of strangers.  

this is what the apologists do not understand:

1. we non-tippers know in most cases waitstaff are underpaid, and we understand how that may be but you must understand that it is NOT our problem!
2. by not tipping we actually help you to rise up and demand better salaries from YOUR EMPLOYERS
3. it is your fault for letting it happen - stand up and take action or find other work and stop bitching!
4. often times it is argued that the price of the food will go up - well, with logic, it should not exceed a 15% increase....and that should make the apologists happy, but NOOOOO, they bitch about the price hike when it costs the same either way!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:43:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I ran a business and could legally pay less than minimum wage to have someone do it, with the expectation that someone else would make up for his pay, you bet your ass I would.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:44:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're the one who said you were done.  If you're done, let it go.

It's ironic that you complain about sissy fits and then resort to mom jokes. Pathetic, really.

It's my subtle little way of letting you know I've had enough of your sad little barbs impugning my writing ability. If the message has been received (finally) then I am indeed done.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:44:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm an always-leave-at-least-SOMETHING tipper, but I do have a problem with the 10%-20% magic numbers.  It would take an extraordinary circumstance for me to leave a 20% tip at a $200.00 dollar meal.  I mean, the waitress or waiter can have absolutley stellar manners, timeliness, etc, and I still am not going to shell out a $40.00 tip for an hours work.  I follow the the 10-20 rule until the tip reaches near $20, then I REALLY have to be impressed to tip more.

- Nw -
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:45:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Entitlement mentality at it's finest.

I agree with you Mr Clean. Tip well and you're treated well. I frequent a BBQ joint here and my usual waitress treated me well with a Christmas card and small gift. Same story with the lady who cuts my hair.

I think the problem is some people here who have worked at wait staff have been stiffed and are understandibly upset about it. However, what they can't seem to grasp is it isn't always the customer's fault waitstaff is sometimes stiffed.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:47:04 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
It's my subtle little way of letting you know I've had enough of your sad little barbs impugning my writing ability. If the message has been received (finally) then I am indeed done.

Be more clear in your writing and you won't get the barbs.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:49:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Re: Food tampering.

I've never seen it happen at my restaurant.   I believe that it does happen, but I've worked in the same place for over 7 months, and never seen or heard of ANY kind of food tampering.  

Yeah, I'm sure it happens. It reminds me about that "Wing Hunt" thread a few months back.

Wing hunt!

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! That saga was hilarious - ARFCOM history!

Oh, and IBTL. Way to go, PBIR.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:50:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I ran a business and could legally pay less than minimum wage to have someone do it, with the expectation that someone else would make up for his pay, you bet your ass I would.

Actually I meant you doing the actual digging, not riding around in a F-250 supervising and getting payments. We'll take your stance though for the sake of arguement. Now let's suppose that your customers don't pay tip the employee (digger in this scenario) for whatever reason so you are forced to make up that additional amount to get him to minimum wage.

Problem is you've undercharged because you budgeted your wages at a $2.13 hourly instead of a $5-whatever minimum wage is. So now your profit margins are shot to hell. So now you are forced to raise your fees to cover the difference and you are back to hourly pay. That's assuming you can even find a legal employee to dig ditches for minimum wage.

The problem with waitstaff and minimum wage is that you have to be 18 to serve liquor in TN and very few 18 year olds+ are going to work as a waiter for $5 an hour. Why? Because in a busy restaurant it is a stressful job. Try it for a few weeks if you don't think so.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:50:56 PM EDT
[#28]
I only tip well if they really go 'above and beyond' the minumum of taking your order and bringing food. Or if the waitress is hot.

Otherwise, all you are gonna get is a couple bucks, I dont care about how much the bill was. In my opinion, the cooks deserve the tip if the food was good. Their jobs are typically alot harder and they make less money, if anything, then most waitstaff. I mean, unless a restaurant is really busy, how hard is taking an order and bringing it to the table, maybe filling a glass? Gimme a break. If the place is that busy, trust me, the cooks are still working harder than the wait staff.

(Eupfhoria, former line cook)
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:57:29 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I only tip well if they really go 'above and beyond' the minumum of taking your order and bringing food. Or if the waitress is hot.

+1
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You aren't getting robbed by people that don't leave tips, you are getting robbed by employers who don't pay you enough to make a living without relying on the kindness of strangers.  

this is what the apologists do not understand:

1. we non-tippers know in most cases waitstaff are underpaid, and we understand how that may be but you must understand that it is NOT our problem!
2. by not tipping we actually help you to rise up and demand better salaries from YOUR EMPLOYERS Servers dont have a union
3. it is your fault for letting it happen - stand up and take action or find other work and stop bitching! This is true, the only servers bitching, are the lazy ones with a bad attitude. They have a bad attitude, and they dont get tips. But the ones who arent lazy, get paid well
4. often times it is argued that the price of the food will go up - well, with logic, it should not exceed a 15% increase....and that should make the apologists happy, but NOOOOO, they bitch about the price hike when it costs the same either way!

Im not sure how I got labeled a waitstaff apologist

I clearly said even as a waiter, if I went out to eat and the service was bad, I would tip accordingly, and I have tipped as little as  a dime and a nickel.

Like Napolean tanerite said, the server can tell. If the person is beinga dickhead, it becomes obvious that a small tip will be given, and they are given less service.

And the place I worked at, food cost paid the cooks, and the cost of the food itself.

Not tipping even if the service was good is taking away from the waiter personaly.

Also, when paying with a CC, the final number you put down on the slip is what they must charge you, even if the tip is added in wrong. I had one guy write in 5 bucks for a tips, but really only added $2 onto the final bill. Thats kinda fun to do

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:58:25 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm guessing 99% of you non tipping folk, never had to wait tables before.
kerist,  even if the server is for the most part non existant I'll leave a buck.  yasah boss I'll spend all my time on you  and let My other 10 + tables go.

I know, I know ya bunch of cheap bastards, it's all about you.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:58:39 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A tip is a gratuity. Meaning showing gratitude for service. If there is nothing to be thankful for, no gratuity.

Fine, keep thinking that. All of you who agree better check your food real carefully. If you think food tampering doesn't happen where you eat you're dreaming. It happens everywhere, I promise you.

If you really think someone is going to come stand at your table and listen to you play "mastah" for $2.13 an hour, you're dreaming.

If your service is poor, get the manager over. That's the proper way to handle it and you'll probably get your meal comped. Being a dick and failing to pay your server at least a couple of bucks is not the way to make your stomach happy on your next trip to the place.

You can bitch about it all you want, but that is the reality. I don't care if you accept it b/c I don't work that job no mo'  

I drop $100-300 a month at a local establishment and am on a first name basis with the owner. I can send food back (seldom have) with no worries. If some employee messed with my food it would not go unnoticed. I tip very well and everone in the place knows my family on site. It would be the last thing that employee did in that restaraunt other than picking up their check. Oh, BTW I maintain the owner's aircraft and I don't think turn-a-bout would suit him.

If I were a server and frequently got tipped poorly I would honestly evaluate my efforts, just like any other businessman does. You are selling yourself as a waiter. An occasional cheapskate is likely in any business. I have customers that I tolerate and others I love to see. In the end, if they patronize me at all and don't burn the place down it's all business.

To those that liken waitstaff to salesman on commission I would say this, if a car salesman is an ass when he is working his magic, I will not be buying a car. Same for a waiter. The food is paid for from the check, the waiter is selling his stuff during the meal. If I buy it or not is up to the waiter.

Again, I am a regular tipper and rarely get poor service. I once realized that when paying for a delivered pizza that I failed to add the gratuity (six kids here, not all mine, and a sick wife) on the little CC slip and immediately called the store and told them to add one and explain to the driver when he returned.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually I meant you doing the actual digging, not riding around in a F-250 supervising and getting payments. We'll take your stance though for the sake of arguement. Now let's suppose that your customers don't pay tip the employee (digger in this scenario) for whatever reason so you are forced to make up that additional amount to get him to minimum wage.

Problem is you've undercharged because you budgeted your wages at a $2.13 hourly instead of a $5-whatever minimum wage is. So now your profit margins are shot to hell. So now you are forced to raise your fees to cover the difference and you are back to hourly pay. That's assuming you can even find a legal employee to dig ditches for minimum wage.

The problem with waitstaff and minimum wage is that you have to be 18 to serve liquor in TN and very few 18 year olds+ are going to work as a waiter for $5 an hour. Why? Because in a busy restaurant it is a stressful job. Try it for a few weeks if you don't think so.

Actually, I did do it for a couple of months.

Honestly, my opinion is that wait staff should be paid minimum wage to begin with, with tips simply supplementing that pay.

I think it is unfair for the owner of a resturant to force his customers to pay his employees, and it is unfair for those employees to risk not making ends meet because they have an off night, or they get shit customers.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:07:50 PM EDT
[#34]
I tip very well for good service, and leave a quarter for lousy service...

A waiter/waitress decides how to enhace my experience at the restaurant, if they chose to smoke a cig out back for 30 minutes while me and the misses need another round of drinks, sucks to be them I guess.

We usually like to eat at the bar, if you order food most bartenders keep the glasses full
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:09:39 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A tip is a gratuity. Meaning showing gratitude for service. If there is nothing to be thankful for, no gratuity.

Fine, keep thinking that. All of you who agree better check your food real carefully. If you think food tampering doesn't happen where you eat you're dreaming. It happens everywhere, I promise you.

If you really think someone is going to come stand at your table and listen to you play "mastah" for $2.13 an hour, you're dreaming.

If your service is poor, get the manager over. That's the proper way to handle it and you'll probably get your meal comped. Being a dick and failing to pay your server at least a couple of bucks is not the way to make your stomach happy on your next trip to the place.

You can bitch about it all you want, but that is the reality. I don't care if you accept it b/c I don't work that job no mo'  

I drop $100-300 a month at a local establishment and am on a first name basis with the owner. I can send food back (seldom have) with no worries. If some employee messed with my food it would not go unnoticed. I tip very well and everone in the place knows my family on site. It would be the last thing that employee did in that restaraunt other than picking up their check. Oh, BTW I maintain the owner's aircraft and I don't think turn-a-bout would suit him.

Two Points:

1. If you are decent to your waiter on a human level (i.e. not trying to get your dictator kicks when you go out to eat by demeaning them when they wait on you) and you tip average or better then you have nothing to worry about at most places concerning your food. As a matter of fact, you will be prioritized as an A+ customer by the staff and your service will rise accordingly. The exact opposite is true if you are a jerk or a known non-tipper.

2. Waiters don't care about getting fired, there's always another restaurant that will hire them the same day. I wouldn't count on that as a safe guard.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:23:21 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just a question here but if even 3/5 of the 5 tables the gal is working give a $3 tip and the tables are turned every hour isn't she making $11 an hour? I usually give a 20% gratuity at the place I frequent and seldom get my family out of there for less than $40. That's $10 an hour just from my table! If she is fortunant enough to have 4 tables like this she is making more than I am!

I can't believe that someone can not roll with the business better than some here are presenting. I have a couple of customers that I don't really like to see but my philosophy is some work is better than no work. My jobs usually take a minimum of one hour and a maximum of weeks to complete. I only have two customers that I still have ill thoughts about after being screwed over for thousands of dollars, not pocket change, and I still don't go looking at potential customers with the intent to treat them how I think they will treat me.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:27:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I've left a one penny tip before for poor service.

I have done that as well.  That ensures that the wait staff knows that I "didn't forget."

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#38]
I tip for GOOD service. I don't tip for gun snapping blondes who talk to their greasy haired boyfriend, who is sitting by the kitchen door, who ignore my table until it's time to toss the plate [usually have no idea who ordered what BTW] onto it. They deserve nada zip zero, and I'll tell them on the way out. IF I go back, I will request another waitress because they are not getting a second chance.

If you do a great job, you WILL get a great tip. I've left tips as large as 50% for exceptional service, and thanked the waitress for a great meal experience also.

If you are bitchin, you're probably a shitty waiter or waitress, because most very good ones make pretty decent money. Most lie thru their teeth about reporting it also, but I can't blame them either.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:32:13 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Two Points:

1. If you are decent to your waiter on a human level (i.e. not trying to get your dictator kicks when you go out to eat by demeaning them when they wait on you) and you tip average or better then you have nothing to worry about at most places concerning your food. As a matter of fact, you will be prioritized as an A+ customer by the staff and your service will rise accordingly. The exact opposite is true if you are a jerk or a known non-tipper.

2. Waiters don't care about getting fired, there's always another restaurant that will hire them the same day. I wouldn't count on that as a safe guard.

Granted, I am on the 'A' list and have know many of the employees for 5+ years. If some new guy desides to dick-ring my plate the long time employees will rat him sooner than see my family get the shaft (literally). I am counting on a deep relationship to keep me safe and the owner actually asks my honest opinion kind of like a mystery shopper because he knows that even if a new dish sucks I'll still be back.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:44:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:30:08 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
kerist,  even if the server is for the most part non existant I'll leave a buck.  yasah boss I'll spend all my time on you  and let My other 10 + tables go.

Finally he figures it out.  Yes it is about us.  You guess  (per Tannerite) that I'm not going to tip and you're close, because if you give me shitty service, you are going to get a shitty tip.  too many tables to adequately serve?  That ain't my fault, talk to your boss  When a waiter asks if I'm done and I say Yes, I don't want to watch them bs'g around while I'm waiting for my check.  I don't mind them getting work done, if I see that then I can understand that things go in order.  But in some cases they have the check on them, why don't you give it to me then.  If I say I'm done, I'm done.

If you don't come back and check on things and refresh beverages if they need it, click kaching, make me unnecessarily wait for the check, click kaching,  If I see my order waiting to be delivered and you let it cool off, click kaching.  For breakfast you bring me the eggs fixed wrong, kaching, and zip zoom KACHING if when the mistake gets corrected but the rest of the stuff has gone cold.  WTF.

Good wait staff get good tips, shitty wait staff get shitty tips.  If you are working in a place where all you get are shitty tips and you are doing a good job, I think you need to learn from the experience and go to a place where the customers and boss appreciates your talents.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:44:25 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Finally he figures it out.  Yes it is about us.  You guess  (per Tannerite) that I'm not going to tip and you're close, because if you give me shitty service, you are going to get a shitty tip.  too many tables to adequately serve?  That ain't my fault, talk to your boss  When a waiter asks if I'm done and I say Yes, I don't want to watch them bs'g around while I'm waiting for my check.  I don't mind them getting work done, if I see that then I can understand that things go in order.  But in some cases they have the check on them, why don't you give it to me then.  If I say I'm done, I'm done.

If you don't come back and check on things and refresh beverages if they need it, click kaching, make me unnecessarily wait for the check, click kaching,  If I see my order waiting to be delivered and you let it cool off, click kaching.  For breakfast you bring me the eggs fixed wrong, kaching, and zip zoom KACHING if when the mistake gets corrected but the rest of the stuff has gone cold.  WTF.

Good wait staff get good tips, shitty wait staff get shitty tips.  If you are working in a place where all you get are shitty tips and you are doing a good job, I think you need to learn from the experience and go to a place where the customers and boss appreciates your talents.

Enjoy your meal sir. Nice of you to come back.  

best of luck man.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:03:07 PM EDT
[#43]
I never pay with a credit card, because restaurants are now in the habit of adding their own tip to the bill....usually 15-20%,from what I've seen.....If you ARE UNHAPPY with your wages, GO WORK AT McDONALD'S....I hear they're paying up to $7 bucks an hour........I am no cheap bastard, but I work hard, I SAID HARD, for my money.....on my feet all day, 8-12 hours depending on my schedule, indoors and outdoors in all kinds of weather......try serving your freaking customers when it's -10 degrees outside, and you're OUTSIDE.........I have tipped up to nearly 40% on a $70 dollar bill, because my waiter was knowledgeable about the menu, the wine selection, etc.......he was polite, quick, checked on me several times, (during a busy dinner rush)....and never , I SAID NEVER, acted annoyed with me.........If your other customers are bitches/pricks, don't take it out on me......If you got an attitude, if I have to ask for a refill, if I have to ask for my silverware, or if you only come to my table after the mandatory first bite.."Is everything OK?" courtesy call.......you aren't getting a good tip.....I guarantee it'll be less than 15%, probably less than the tax I paid on the meal.....I don't care if you're a man or a woman.....if you give me GOOD SERVICE YOU WILL BE REWARDED!....bottom line
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:05:45 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I never pay with a credit card, because restaurants are now in the habit of adding their own tip to the bill....usually 15-20%,from what I've seen.....If you ARE UNHAPPY with your wages, GO WORK AT McDONALD'S....I hear they're paying up to $7 bucks an hour........I am no cheap bastard, but I work hard, I SAID HARD, for my money.....on my feet all day, 8-12 hours depending on my schedule, indoors and outdoors in all kinds of weather......try serving your freaking customers when it's -10 degrees outside, and you're OUTSIDE.........I have tipped up to nearly 40% on a $70 dollar bill, because my waiter was knowledgeable about the menu, the wine selection, etc.......he was polite, quick, checked on me several times, (during a busy dinner rush)....and never , I SAID NEVER, acted annoyed with me.........If your other customers are bitches/pricks, don't take it out on me......If you got an attitude, if I have to ask for a refill, if I have to ask for my silverware, or if you only come to my table after the mandatory first bite.."Is everything OK?" courtesy call.......you aren't getting a good tip.....I guarantee it'll be less than 15%, probably less than the tax I paid on the meal.....I don't care if you're a man or a woman.....if you give me GOOD SERVICE YOU WILL BE REWARDED!....bottom line

I never personally did it, but saw it.

bon appetit!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:16:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Never insult a person that is handling your food or drink before you see it. Speak with a manager after your bad service.

I tip a little if the service was OK, none if it was crappy, and around 20%plus if it's really good. If the server got nothing for a tip, the manager will know why.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:18:40 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

bon appetit!!

What the heck is your problem? You're advocating altering someone's meals as a preemptive strike against someone who may not give you an optional tip, because you are a pisspoor waiter? Do you get some kind of satisfaction giving hollow threats to people? I hope they nail you and whomever you witnessed for health code violations for pulling that shit. It is beyond disgusting, and you've got to lack some serious morals or ethics to allow that to happen.

Don't bother giving me that "you don't know what it's like being a waiter" crap, because I DO know - I've done it.

If I wasn't doing a good job, I didn't get a good tip, or any tip, and guess who is to blame for it? I'm certainly not going to act like some screwy Liberal and believe that I should be rewarded for doing the bare minimum or less - it is a JOB, not a welfare handout.

This thread smacks of people with entitlement issues, it's simply amazing. I'd expect to hear such things on DUh, not here.

ETA: I'd love to see this come back to bite you in the ass "Wing Hunt" style. It's simply sickening.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:24:22 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

bon appetit!!

What the heck is your problem? You're advocating altering someone's meals as a preemptive strike against someone who may not give you an optional tip, because you are a pisspoor waiter? Do you get some kind of satisfaction giving hollow threats to people? I hope they nail you and whomever you witnessed for health code violations for pulling that shit. It is beyond disgusting, and you've got to lack some serious morals or ethics to allow that to happen.

Don't bother giving me that "you don't know what it's like being a waiter" crap, because I DO know - I've done it.

If I wasn't doing a good job, I didn't get a good tip, or any tip, and guess who is to blame for it? I'm certainly not going to act like some screwy Liberal and believe that I should be rewarded for doing the bare minimum or less - it is a JOB, not a welfare handout.

This thread smacks of people with entitlement issues, it's simply amazing. I'd expect to hear such things on DUh, not here.

ETA: I'd love to see this come back to bite you in the ass "Wing Hunt" style. It's simply sickening.

I'm not advocating a damn thing. I'm telling you the harsh reality of those waiters and waitresses out there I have seen. nothing more.  

ETA: a buck min. isn't a handout to me. [shrug]

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

bon appetit!!

Leelaw - leave Kalifornia.
You have far too much sense to be there.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#49]
I can't believe the crybabies here whining about how someone won't give them more money than they are required to pay for.  I guess everyone should just throw dollar bills at you for choosing a shitty job that you agreed to do.  It sucks that your employer pays you so little based on the fact that you can earn tips, but insulting your customers because you feel that they are supposed to give you extra money above and beyond the check for the services rendered, no matter what is insane.  I will tip most of the time, when service is exceptional, but if I choose to leave nothing that is my right.  I don't see where I am required to leave you money except when it is stated in the establishment for large groups, and that is wrong as well.  Have fun bitching about your entry level job while you refuse to move on and do something else.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:54:21 PM EDT
[#50]
My God, there are some real assholes out there.

I get the impression some of you sit there just looking for reasons to get out of tipping. In 30 years I can count the number of times I haven't tipped on one hand. Boy, you guys are really something. Surprised you don't get a backache from carrying that big ass chip on your shoulder.

Maybe you should just stay home.

I'll tell you osme waiters are just rude but that is rare. Most are trying to make a living and are willing to be your servant for a short time. The reward for that apparently is to spit in their face.

Beyond that, if the poor waitress has had 4 people like you guys in the last hour why wouldn't she be pissed.  I've seen plenty of nice waitresses treated like shit by customers and then screwd by them for no reason other than the assholes new they could get away with it. When they come to my table, unhappy as hell I always try to be patient and decent to them instead of being an obnoxious fucking asshole with a giant chip on my shoulder.  And I generally tip them well to boot.

Like I said some of you should just stay home and eat your boxed processed crap.  Damn, it is embarassing to hang out wiht some of you here.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top