Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:54:25 PM EDT
[#1]
While in college, I worked as a waiter at a popular upscale restaurant.  Pretty demanding work, but I made good money for a college kid.  I learned a lot about people from that job, too.  

It is my practice to tip at least 15% and often a lot more.  A few bucks really means nothing to me, but it‘s funny how simply doing this gets you great service and extra consideration on subsequent visits.  Being cordial helps also.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:03:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
While in college, I worked as a waiter at a popular upscale restaurant.  Pretty demanding work, but I made good money for a college kid.  I learned a lot about people from that job, too.  

It is my practice to tip at least 15% and often a lot more.  A few bucks really means nothing to me, but it‘s funny how simply doing this gets you great service and extra consideration on subsequent visits.  Being cordial helps also.  

Amen.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:52:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow, this topic has been very enlightening. Lots of people should never wait on tables.

I spent 4 years working in restaurants while I was in college in the early '80s. I was stiffed a few times, and extremely well tipped a few times. I knew that if I served X number of people, I would get roughly Y dollars in tips.  It simply averaged out. While I didn't like getting stiffed, I knew that over the course of a week, I would make roughly $10.00/ hour in tips. Not bad considering minimum wage was around $3.00 an hour and I could work almost whenever I wanted.

I tend to tip in the 15-20% range for service. A couple of times I've left a stack of pennies for bad service, a handfull of times I included a talk with a manager. When I get poor service, I tend to look for clues why, and have asked waiters if they were short handed. If poor service is not the fault f the server, they sometimes have been given larger tips, 25% or more.

I once gave a 100% tip and called the manager over to compliment the waitress. My wife and I were at a restaurant(Red Lobster)  on a busy night when they had an all you can eat special. Somehow the waitress was able to keep everyone in her area well supplied with drinks and food. She managed to bring our next servings just as we finished a plate. So we never waited for refill, and the refills were hot when we were ready for them.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:22:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Well shit this topic has been popular while I was at the bar.

I cannot believe the number of Wait Satff Apologist we have on this board.

Why is the concept of tipping so hard for people to understand?

If the service Sucks, NO TIP FOR YOU!

The real question is why do Wait Staff expect tips, even if they do a shitty job at serving the customer?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:25:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Another typical Wait Staff Aplogist line.

Great,  servers that screw customers on purpose, that is really mature and funny.

Your trailer park is showing. Going in and having someone work for you then not having the class to pay them for that work is where the immaturity comes in. How would you like it if I didn't pay you after you came and dug that ditch in my yard?

If the work they did was shitty why do they expect a TIP?

Tipping is a reward for good service.

Why is that such a hard concept for some people to wrap they minds around?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:55:22 PM EDT
[#6]
You know, in all five pages, I haven't seen one poster who feels like they are obligated to a tip even if they give shit service.  I HAVE seen several complete fucking clownshoe dickfiends who will use any logic their tiny brains can come up with to be a cheapskate son of a bitch.  EVERY server who has posted in this thread has agreed with you XD, good service=good tip, end of story.  In fact, with servers this is even more adament, because we actually know whats involved with the job that the customers never see.  Quit picking fights, everyone you have called an 'apologist' basically agrees that you have to earn your tip.  

1. we non-tippers know in most cases waitstaff are underpaid, and we understand how that may be but you must understand that it is NOT our problem!
2. by not tipping we actually help you to rise up and demand better salaries from YOUR EMPLOYERS
3. it is your fault for letting it happen - stand up and take action or find other work and stop bitching!

4. often times it is argued that the price of the food will go up - well, with logic, it should not exceed a 15% increase....and that should make the apologists happy, but NOOOOO, they bitch about the price hike when it costs the same either way!

Text in red points out above mentioned clownshoes.....
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:19:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

If the work they did was shitty why do they expect a TIP?

Tipping is a reward for good service.

If you have a bad hour at work do you tell your boss to keep your pay for that hour? I wouldn't believe any of you who said yes. Matter of fact, I'm sure everyone here has had an hour or two on their job where they performed subpar and still got paid even well out of the training phase.

Work is work, and if they got your orders, got your food and drink made and delivered, & then have to clean up your mess after you leave they still did the job & should receive at least a few bucks for it regardless of how cheap you are. If they did it very well then the tip amount moves up to reward percentages. If the service is terrible then get the manager.

Why is that such a hard concept for some people to wrap they minds around?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:22:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Bad service = I leave you a penny......and yes I have done it before, quite a few times.

I can't stand it when I get shitty serivce, and yes I know what it's like to work with the public.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:34:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd like to know what genius resturant owner was the first to convince a bunch of mindless drones that getting paid was someone elses job(ie, the customer) rather than their's.  I mean really, it's brilliant.  They shifted a good portion of the responsibility for payment from themselves to the customer, but its not binding.

Really folks, until there is a column on the menu titled 'Service Options', anything you are tipped is merely a bonus.  Don't like that fact?  Get another Goddamned job.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:04:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you don't like it then get a real job and leave the service industry to the illegal aliens.

HA hA!!  Then you'll see about bad service.  Hope you can order in espanol.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:11:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I never pay with a credit card, because restaurants are now in the habit of adding their own tip to the bill....usually 15-20%,from what I've seen.....If you ARE UNHAPPY with your wages, GO WORK AT McDONALD'S....I hear they're paying up to $7 bucks an hour........I am no cheap bastard, but I work hard, I SAID HARD, for my money.....on my feet all day, 8-12 hours depending on my schedule, indoors and outdoors in all kinds of weather......try serving your freaking customers when it's -10 degrees outside, and you're OUTSIDE.........I have tipped up to nearly 40% on a $70 dollar bill, because my waiter was knowledgeable about the menu, the wine selection, etc.......he was polite, quick, checked on me several times, (during a busy dinner rush)....and never , I SAID NEVER, acted annoyed with me.........If your other customers are bitches/pricks, don't take it out on me......If you got an attitude, if I have to ask for a refill, if I have to ask for my silverware, or if you only come to my table after the mandatory first bite.."Is everything OK?" courtesy call.......you aren't getting a good tip.....I guarantee it'll be less than 15%, probably less than the tax I paid on the meal.....I don't care if you're a man or a woman.....if you give me GOOD SERVICE YOU WILL BE REWARDED!....bottom line

Quit whining.  If your jobs too tough, you should have studied harder in college, and gotten a better job.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:23:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Really folks, until there is a column on the menu titled 'Service Options', anything you are tipped is merely a bonus.  Don't like that fact?  Get another Goddamned job.

So if everyone stopped feeling generous no problem right? Thats what bonus means.  
bo·nus (bō'nəs)
n., pl. -nus·es.
Something given or paid in addition to what is usual or expected.
A sum of money or an equivalent given to an employee in addition to the employee's usual compensation.
A sum of money in addition to salary that is given to a professional athlete for signing up with a team.

Everything would go on as usual, right?  Wrong.  The system would collapse.  No one would do the job for $2.25 (the only pay they are entitled to ,right).  Then you get to eat every meal at Mcdonalds, Or the price gets figured in and you pay the real labor cost.  Hint, its not $2.25.  And anyone who thinks thats the real cost of labor is an idiot.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:26:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'd like to know what genius resturant owner was the first to convince a bunch of mindless drones that getting paid was someone elses job(ie, the customer) rather than their's.  I mean really, it's brilliant.  They shifted a good portion of the responsibility for payment from themselves to the customer, but its not binding.

Yup, I wonder about this also.  My brother who lives in England, said that there is no tiping there.   The wait staff is expected to do their job and get paid per hour.  I don't know how well that works out for the workers or the customers over there.

BTW, my wife made damn good money workig bar and waitstaff when she was in college.  But, I think the DD helped in the tip area.  I never let her forget this.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:39:03 AM EDT
[#14]
If you're working as a waiter or waitress and it isn't just a part-time job while you pursue other activities, then you've failed at life.  Shut up and stop bitching.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:55:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
BTW, my wife made damn good money workig bar and waitstaff when she was in college.  But, I think the DD helped in the tip area.  I never let her forget this.

Yep!  If she was an A cup, she would have ended up paying for all these aholes to eat dinner.  Way to take something normal, like eating and turn it into their twisted back alley fantasy.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:59:04 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If you're working as a waiter or waitress and it isn't just a part-time job while you pursue other activities, then you've failed at life.  Shut up and stop bitching.

Yep, and its ok to steal from a failure, or someone in college, or a single mother. Slept through ethics class huh.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:15:54 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, and its ok to steal from a failure, or someone in college, or a single mother. Slept through ethics class huh.  

Try reading and comprehending the posting next time.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:19:56 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

One person in that thread said that failing to tip is theft for failure to pay for services rendered, regardless if the service was bad.

who said that?

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:20:21 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What does them being a failure have to do with people paying their own way.  And if people are robbing them, they have a legitimate gripe.  Thats what Im saying.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:28:17 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What does them being a failure have to do with people paying their own way.  And if people are robbing them, they have a legitimate gripe.  Thats what Im saying.

Try rereading the last part.  It is one of the worst jobs on earth.  That's why I stopped doing it when I got out of high school.  If waiters and waitresses don't want a crappy, low-paying job, I suggest they put together some sort of skill set that doesn't involve carrying food to people.

It isn't any skin off my butt either.  I never eat anything that I don't prepare myself.  I've seen what goes on in the kitchens.  If you had, you'd do the same.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:36:38 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Tipping your waiter is all about capitalism in action.

If the service was good, tipp well. If it was excellent, tip very well. If it sucked, tip like it sucked.

It is INSTANT feedback.

Nobody, not me not you not your mama, is entitled to the hard earned money of other people by virtue of being there.

Treat me well, and I will treat you well. As the Good Book says, a servant is worthy of his hire.

god's truth right here.  that's a big part of why i've been in this business for so long--it's a challenge to get everyone feeling like i'm their best friend in the world, and i don't have to wonder about it--i get instant feedback.  funny part is, it works in reverse, too.

tonight, a regular ordered round at the same time as a new guest.  i made the reg's drinks 1st.  when the first-timer complained that he was there first, i replied with "no offense, buddy, but that guy tips me $20-$30 per night, so he always gets top priority."  the first-timer grumbled a bit, but he still had his drink within 30sec of ordering.  the funny part is this--after a few mins, i posted up with the first-timer and we started talking about the cowboys signing TO yesterday.  just general bar bullshit.  had his refills down before he asked for them, and made a point of introducing him to a couple of girls.  he went from a wallflower to having the time of his life.  at the end of the night, he left...you guessed it...a $20 tip on a $47 tab.

so he started out unhappy about the capitalistic aspect of tipping, but now he knows beyond a shadow of a doubt that, because he took care of me, i'll take care of him whenever he comes in.

after so long in management, i was a bit worried about going back to a tipped position, but i've come to realize that it's reminding me of lessons i learned a long time ago.

i love this business.

[edit:  i can't spell]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:45:16 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A tip is a gratuity. Meaning showing gratitude for service. If there is nothing to be thankful for, no gratuity.

Fine, keep thinking that. All of you who agree better check your food real carefully. If you think food tampering doesn't happen where you eat you're dreaming. It happens everywhere, I promise you.

If you really think someone is going to come stand at your table and listen to you play "mastah" for $2.13 an hour, you're dreaming.

If your service is poor, get the manager over. That's the proper way to handle it and you'll probably get your meal comped. Being a dick and failing to pay your server at least a couple of bucks is not the way to make your stomach happy on your next trip to the place.

You can bitch about it all you want, but that is the reality. I don't care if you accept it b/c I don't work that job no mo'  

I have to say, that if I EVER found out someone was even thinking about tampering with my food, a tip would be the LEAST of their concerns - a trip to the emergency room would be in their future after I beat them half to death - maybe some in the food service community should consider THAT angle... There probably isn't a prosecutor in the country that would pursue assault charges under such circumstances - let alone a jury to convict...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:55:18 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

i know many waitresses and bartenders who pull in 6 figures.  at the old beggar club in north dallas, i was pulling $60k/year working 3 days a week.  at the time, though, i was too young and stupid to do anything with it.  

lesson learned, BP in progress.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:57:50 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I have to say, that if I EVER found out someone was even thinking about tampering with my food, a tip would be the LEAST of their concerns - a trip to the emergency room would be in their future after I beat them half to death - maybe some in the food service community should consider THAT angle... There probably isn't a prosecutor in the country that would pursue assault charges under such circumstances - let alone a jury to convict...

- georgestrings

Thing is the assault charge would be a lot easier to prove than the tampering charge.  At best it would be a wash.  At worst youd be cooking the meals in jail for a few years.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:01:39 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i know many waitresses and bartenders who pull in 6 figures.  at the old beggar club in north dallas, i was pulling $60k/year working 3 days a week.  at the time, though, i was too young and stupid to do anything with it.  

lesson learned, BP in progress.  

Your a loser,  get it!  You have no reason for living.  

Now all the deadbeats will be sayin, "see they make 60K, I dont have to tip."
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:07:37 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Rant on
A Post about Dennys made me really think about this.

That thread has been hijacked by a bunch of wait staff apologists abd a 12 year old child name 13thWarrior.

What is the deal with everyone defending poor customer service by wait staff?

Why do so many people think that good tips are mandatory.

One person in that thread said that failing to tip is theft for failure to pay for services rendered, regardless if the service was bad.

If the service sucks, NO TIP FOR YOU!

Rant off

What if you sucked as a customer?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:20:19 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

- georgestrings

Thing is the assault charge would be a lot easier to prove than the tampering charge.  At best it would be a wash.  At worst youd be cooking the meals in jail for a few years.

Actually, a tampering charge probably wouldn't be all that difficult to prove - and this aspect of food service is why I rarely eat out... People who tamper with other's food deserve a good beating - or worse - what a bunch of cowards...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:33:08 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
If you dont want to spend money on being served food, go to McDonalds. Servers make less than minimum wage even at large chains. It is made up for in tips, that way the company and the employee benefit, and it is up to the employee to make good tips through good service.

I'm in college, and did the waiter thing a for a few months last semester. It's one thing to tip equal to the service/food. Hell, being a waiter, i've given $0.15 tips because the service was terrible, food was terrible, and the waittress ignored me multiple times.

But having a policy of little to no tipping no matter what the service was like is just being cheap. If you dont want to pay for the service of a sit-down meal, dont go out to eat.

There really is no argument

im still not going to tip!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:43:29 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Rant on

That thread has been hijacked by a bunch of wait staff apologists abd a 12 year old child name 13thWarrior.

Rant off

A valid point - as in any profession, I'm sure that people in food service run into PLENTY of jerks every day - that's why I go out of my way to be polite, pleasant, and understanding of just how crappy their job is... and I don't stiff on a tip, even for marginal service... I won't tip crappy service, though...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:49:30 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

who said that?

sirensong said it - of course!  before I even saw his post, i knew he would chime in....funny too....he actually believes the shit that spews from his spout!

eta: we have had this conversation about once every six months for the past several years....
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:52:10 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A tip is a gratuity. Meaning showing gratitude for service. If there is nothing to be thankful for, no gratuity.

Fine, keep thinking that. All of you who agree better check your food real carefully. If you think food tampering doesn't happen where you eat you're dreaming. It happens everywhere, I promise you.

If you really think someone is going to come stand at your table and listen to you play "mastah" for $2.13 an hour, you're dreaming.

If your service is poor, get the manager over. That's the proper way to handle it and you'll probably get your meal comped. Being a dick and failing to pay your server at least a couple of bucks is not the way to make your stomach happy on your next trip to the place.

You can bitch about it all you want, but that is the reality. I don't care if you accept it b/c I don't work that job no mo'  

- georgestrings

man, it would suck to have a jury full of apologists....
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:09:45 AM EDT
[#32]
The Initial Arrest for not Tipping!

The Result

A $2 tip on a $77 restaurant bill may be cheap, but it isn’t criminal. So says a New York state district attorney, who declined to press charges against a man who refused to leave a restaurant’s required gratuity of 18 percent for large parties.

also, notice this quote:

Al DeNapoli, a Boston lawyer who represents the hospitality industry, says this is the first time he’s heard of someone being arrested for poor tipping.

and I really like this sidenote:

(Ironically, The Sopranos, HBO’s television series, had a recent episode involving a dispute over a gratuity for a large party of mobsters. That dispute ended in the macabre, with the waiter being killed in the argument.)
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:39:04 AM EDT
[#33]
I like this quote too:

Having someone arrested for poor tipping may also not be the best solution, even if it’s a fantasy scenario of many servers.

yep!  definitely a fantasy scenerio!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:41:12 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

+1.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:43:02 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I've left a one penny tip before for poor service.

Ditto. I do that when the service really sucks.

I've only had to do it once or twice. Normally, service is okay, so I do 15%. It goes up if the service is great.

I've been VERY generous on more than one occaision.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:53:14 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Being a dick and failing to pay your server at least a couple of bucks is not the way to make your stomach happy on your next trip to the place.

For sure.  Which is why if the service sucks not only do you leave a small tip, but you never go back to that place again either. Be sure to tell the manager on the way out to that you will never be back becuase server XXX doesnt know how to do their job.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:51:46 AM EDT
[#37]
cheap people who want to be treated like kings by their slaves for $2.09 an hour {that's the rate i made}

I can't believe how many of you are too cheap to leave one buck for even lacking service. It's worth a buck for them to take the order, bring the drinks and clean off the table of all our garbage to me.

you guys are some cheap mofos out there.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:57:09 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
cheap people who want to be treated like kings by their slaves for $2.09 an hour {that's the rate i made}

I can't believe how many of you are too cheap to leave one buck for even lacking service. It's worth a buck for them to take the order, bring the drinks and clean off the table of all our garbage to me.

You made $5.15/hour. Your tip wages were $2.09/hour should your tips exceed the federal minimum wage of $5.15/hour. So in reality, you MADE $5.15/hour, or more pending the sum of your tips. However, I'd be willing to bet you, as many do, never report all of your tips...
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:59:09 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I think it is funny how the entitlement crew absolutely believes that those who do not tip are considered cheap, losers, etc.....how about this:  it is the servants who are begging and trying to justify their entitlements

and the apologists probably feel like they are superior so they "give" a tip to feel good about themselves because they know the servants are beneath them....

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:06:21 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I never pay with a credit card, because restaurants are now in the habit of adding their own tip to the bill....usually 15-20%,from what I've seen.....If you ARE UNHAPPY with your wages, GO WORK AT McDONALD'S....I hear they're paying up to $7 bucks an hour........I am no cheap bastard, but I work hard, I SAID HARD, for my money.....on my feet all day, 8-12 hours depending on my schedule, indoors and outdoors in all kinds of weather......try serving your freaking customers when it's -10 degrees outside, and you're OUTSIDE.........I have tipped up to nearly 40% on a $70 dollar bill, because my waiter was knowledgeable about the menu, the wine selection, etc.......he was polite, quick, checked on me several times, (during a busy dinner rush)....and never , I SAID NEVER, acted annoyed with me.........If your other customers are bitches/pricks, don't take it out on me......If you got an attitude, if I have to ask for a refill, if I have to ask for my silverware, or if you only come to my table after the mandatory first bite.."Is everything OK?" courtesy call.......you aren't getting a good tip.....I guarantee it'll be less than 15%, probably less than the tax I paid on the meal.....I don't care if you're a man or a woman.....if you give me GOOD SERVICE YOU WILL BE REWARDED!....bottom line

Quit whining.  If your jobs too tough, you should have studied harder in college, and gotten a better job.

I'm whining???.........you should pay more attention to whining waiters on this thread......and I didn't go to college, and I STILL make more money than your average bear.......as many have said before, WHY IS IT SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND THAT YOU GET TIPPED FOR GOOD SERVICE?......WAITERS/WAITRESSES, SEE POST IN RED ABOVE.......and if you're still in college, get a different job......WalMart, McDonalds, and grocery stores ALL pay more than $2.13 an hour...
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:08:13 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Rant on

Rant off

A valid point - as in any profession, I'm sure that people in food service run into PLENTY of jerks every day - that's why I go out of my way to be polite, pleasant, and understanding of just how crappy their job is... and I don't stiff on a tip, even for marginal service... I won't tip crappy service, though...

- georgestrings

Not a valid point at all.
Some days the people at everyone's job are assholes. Does that mean that you, I or anyone else should be paid more that day than on the good days?

Its their job. They know going into it that they are going to get tips, and anyone with half a brain realizes that a friendly waiter will get more in tips than an asshat waiter. I try to be happy and polite, but tipping is a two-way street. If I dont get the service, they dont get a tip.
I only get paid once for doing my job. Why should they be any different.

Thats your opinion. I dont get paid for cleaning the table at my own home. So, you didnt like waiting for $2.09 an hour, so you left and found another job? Whats holding the rest of them back, if they want to bitch about the money they make?
I've walked out of a resturaunt while the wiatress was clearing the table, without leaving a tip. I'll tell anyone the same thing.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:09:04 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You made $5.15/hour. Your tip wages were $2.09/hour should your tips exceed the federal minimum wage of $5.15/hour. So in reality, you MADE $5.15/hour, or more pending the sum of your tips. However, I'd be willing to bet you, as many do, never report all of your tips...

I did report my tips thank you. you be a wrong SOB in that case bud.

cheap mofos like you guys are why your math above is BS. not to mention the restaurant isn't packed all day and ebbs and flows. there is no guarentee you'll make an extra dime over that $2.09 an hour every shift. no one would come in on some days. think $16 for 8-10 and more hours of work. then you in all your glory leave a penny. what a POS.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:09:14 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So if everyone stopped feeling generous no problem right? Thats what bonus means.  
bo·nus (bō'nəs)
n., pl. -nus·es.
Something given or paid in addition to what is usual or expected.
A sum of money or an equivalent given to an employee in addition to the employee's usual compensation.
A sum of money in addition to salary that is given to a professional athlete for signing up with a team.

Everything would go on as usual, right?  Wrong.  The system would collapse.  No one would do the job for $2.25 (the only pay they are entitled to ,right).  Then you get to eat every meal at Mcdonalds, Or the price gets figured in and you pay the real labor cost.  Hint, its not $2.25.  And anyone who thinks thats the real cost of labor is an idiot.  

so if the system collapsed, and restaurants couldn't find any employees because their pay scale sucked, IT WOULD CAUSE AN INDUSTRY WIDE REFORM, no?.......or I guess just every restauranteer would go out of business.......
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:10:14 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
and if you're still in college, get a different job......WalMart, McDonalds, and grocery stores ALL pay more than $2.13 an hour...

Starbucks... at LEAST $7.xx+ per hour, plus tips (yeah, their wages are $7+/hr and they get tips!)...and benefits.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:14:02 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

cheap mofos like you guys are why your math above is BS. not to mention the restaurant isn't packed all day and ebbs and flows. there is no guarentee you'll make an extra dime over that $2.09 an hour every shift. no one would come in on some days. think $16 for 8-10 and more hours of work. then you in all your glory leave a penny. what a POS.

My math above? My math above is not BS. I have a BS degree though... do you?

Also, its not my fault you can't do simple math. There is also a guarantee you will make more than $2.09/hr every shift-- its called FEDERAL LAW-- go look it up. If you don't stand up for your rights there, that's your problem. Do you stand up for your 2nd ammendment rights?

You are the POS for expecting a tip.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:14:05 AM EDT
[#46]
i gotten shitty service before and took a $5 bill and rip it half,because the serviced sucked a few times.

my mom was a waitress while i grew up up and and know how hard some off them work and how much some customers are pain in the ass.

to me to get a good tip is make sure what i am drinking stays full and come back and check if i need anything.

if i have to get up and get a refill you get a real shitty tip unless the place is packed and you are trying to do your best by waiting on everyone.then my tip doesn't change.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:15:41 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

- georgestrings

I once saw a cop go behind the counter and arrest a kid for spitting in his sandwich, .....the kid got fired, the restaurant got sued, and now they are no longer in business......HOW MANY PEOPLE LOST THEIR JOBS BECAUSE OF SOME PUNK ASS KID'S ACTIONS?......you assholes better think twice about what you do to someone's food......
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:16:30 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Rant on

Rant off

- georgestrings

Not a valid point at all.
Some days the people at everyone's job are assholes. Does that mean that you, I or anyone else should be paid more that day than on the good days?

Its their job. They know going into it that they are going to get tips, and anyone with half a brain realizes that a friendly waiter will get more in tips than an asshat waiter. I try to be happy and polite, but tipping is a two-way street. If I dont get the service, they dont get a tip.

Thats your opinion. I dont get paid for cleaning the table at my own home. So, you didnt like waiting for $2.09 an hour, so you left and found another job? Whats holding the rest of them back, if they want to bitch about the money they make?

Someone has to do the job, and I won't knock them for working to scratch out a living, I'll leave that to you folks looking down on them. you aren't in your own home either, you went to have slaves , but you have to pay for them .

Bah, as I mentioned above... best of luck with your food. I'm sure you are remembered. bon appetit
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:17:34 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I once saw a cop go behind the counter and arrest a kid for spitting in his sandwich, .....the kid got fired, the restaurant got sued, and now they are no longer in business......HOW MANY PEOPLE LOST THEIR JOBS BECAUSE OF SOME PUNK ASS KID'S ACTIONS?......you assholes better think twice about what you do to someone's food......

[supertoopers]......It's for a Cop.....[/supertroopers]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:21:02 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My math above? My math above is not BS. I have a BS degree though... do you?

Also, its not my fault you can't do simple math. There is also a guarantee you will make more than $2.09/hr every shift-- its called FEDERAL LAW-- go look it up. If you don't stand up for your rights there, that's your problem. Do you stand up for your 2nd ammendment rights?

You are the POS for expecting a tip.

A bullshit degree huh? WoW I don't care what type degree you have, my math above is correct.

unless you are attempting to claim I meant that as $16 for 8 hours and the same for 10 hours, in that case your just trying to be a smartass.

Enjoy your meal sir

Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top