Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2006 6:49:32 PM EDT
It was a strange movie to be sure, but a good one.  It's one of those movies that you walk away from not quite sure how you feel.

Y'all seen it?  What did you think?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:50:32 PM EDT
[#1]
"I can hear their bombs and I'm afraid.. can I sleep in your tent? Do you like to eat pudding?"
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:53:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw Jarheads and I liked it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Horribly stupid movie, zero plot, zero point and not even very accurate. Not even based on true events. Waste of time. I watched it last night and was terribly disappointed with it, given the exciting-looking previews.

ETA: No Marine scout sniper would break down crying and screaming, also disobeying a direct order, in order to take a shot at the enemy which by the way was completely unrealistic. That entire scene was so rediculous it ruined a lot of the build up.

- rem
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
"I can hear their bombs and I'm afraid.. can I sleep in your tent? Do you like to eat pudding?"

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:56:05 PM EDT
[#5]
It was OK. Reminded me of how we used to horse around in the service.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I was disappointed  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:57:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Horribly stupid movie, zero plot, zero point and not even very accurate. Not even based on true events. Waste of time. I watched it last night and was terribly disappointed with it, given the exciting-looking previews.

- rem

+1
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:57:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Mrs. HH and I watched it last night, and we thought is was extremely anti-Marine and military.

It has to be tied with Natural Born Killers as the worst movie I've ever seen.

If I had 5 thumbs they'd all be down.  It was a perfect example of wanting time back that you lost doing something that was worthless.

HH
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#9]
After I saw it, I said to myself "I knew guys just like nearly every charcter in the film". I also thought that some of the events portrayed in the movie were real but a lot of it was B.S.

For example, the scene where the Drill Instructor is smacking the guys head and he smarts off with the "I got lost on my way to college" line. I went through Parris Island in 82. Physical abuse was extremely rare. When it did occur, it was done away from witnesses. This guy was in bootcamp in 89 and I know the Corps was even less tolerant of abuse then. There is no way in hell he got smacked around like that especially in front of witnesses and I call B.S. on anyone from that era who shows up here claiming they saw that kind of thing happen.

The "got lost going to college line" is straight out of D.I. speak and is also a common bootcamp sea story. Nearly every D.I. who ever put on a smokey has asked the question in some form "You are some kind of God damn genious Pvt ______. You know that? What the the f*ck are you doing here Einstien, you get lost on your way to college?". Or someone tells a bootcamp story about a guy who said it to a D.I..

As entertainment it was so, so. It could have been done better. I get the feeling that the author embelished more than a bit and whoever wrote the screenplay took dramatic license as well.
Every Marine at one time or another thinks their time in the Corps would make a good book. Then they realize the shit just isn't that interesting or unique. Swofford's story wasn't either.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:13:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Mrs. HH and I watched it last night, and we thought is was extremely anti-Marine and military.

Same review I got from my brother before I had seen it. It was returned to Netflix without being viewed.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:11:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Did guys really get that close to the burnign oil wells?

I thought it would of been a good movie if it had a plot. Maybe it was an antiwar movie.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:16:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I thought it would of been a good movie if it had a plot. Maybe it was an antiwar movie.

We rode right through the middle of them.  Very weird feeling.

I have refused to watch the movie.  I will see it someday for free...

LB
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:32:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Army here, not Marines, but we got close to the fires as well. And the smoke was so thick that it would drift over head and block out the sun . Covered every thing with black soot.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:39:43 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Isn't that one of the same actors in "Back Door Mountain"???
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:45:54 AM EDT
[#15]

I saw the film and liked it alright.  

I thought Jamie Fox was OUTSTANDING as the NCO.  The only thing I didn't like was when he was getting the guys to ham it up for the film crew - I thought that showed weakness on his part.  Otherwise, he was great.

Quoted:  

No Marine scout sniper would break down crying and screaming, also disobeying a direct order, in order to take a shot at the enemy which by the way was completely unrealistic. That entire scene was so rediculous it ruined a lot of the build up.

Remedy, you think the shot was an impossible one to make?  IIRC, it was approximately 950 meters out on a clear target.  I sure as hell couldn't make it, but I thought it was a reasonable shot for a trained Marine sniper.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:54:48 AM EDT
[#16]
There were parts that reminded me of things I saw over there,but there were parts I didnt relate to at all. I try to take any Hollyweird portrayal of military life with a huge grain of salt.

I remember drinking water by the numbers. And taking pills by the numbers (and spitting it out)
I remember scorpion death matches. I dont remember playing football in MOP suits in Saudi Arabia.
I remember the convoys of completely destroyed cars and trucks. I never saw one horse the whole time-let alone covered in oil.
I remember doing shitter detail. I never saw anyone playing with a dead body.
The oil fires I remember -Though it seemed to mist oil everywhere - not pour oil from the sky and pool up in the fighting hole you are trying to dig.

Some seemed accurate -some seem like completley exagerated Hollyweird BS. I give it a 3.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:54:49 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
After I saw it, I said to myself "I knew guys just like nearly every charcter in the film". I also thought that some of the events portrayed in the movie were real but a lot of it was B.S.

For example, the scene where the Drill Instructor is smacking the guys head and he smarts off with the "I got lost on my way to college" line. I went through Parris Island in 82. Physical abuse was extremely rare. When it did occur, it was done away from witnesses. This guy was in bootcamp in 89 and I know the Corps was even less tolerant of abuse then. There is no way in hell he got smacked around like that especially in front of witnesses and I call B.S. on anyone from that era who shows up here claiming they saw that kind of thing happen.

The "got lost going to college line" is straight out of D.I. speak and is also a common bootcamp sea story. Nearly every D.I. who ever put on a smokey has asked the question in some form "You are some kind of God damn genious Pvt ______. You know that? What the the f*ck are you doing here Einstien, you get lost on your way to college?". Or someone tells a bootcamp story about a guy who said it to a D.I..

As entertainment it was so, so. I could have been done better. I get the feeling that the author embelished more than a bit and whoever wrote the screenplay took dramatic license as well.
Every Marine at one time or another thinks their time in the Corps would make a good book. Then they realize the shit just isn't that interesting or unique. Swofford's story wasn't either.

+1  Slug-O-Matic
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:59:50 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

We tried to warn 'em about broke-back-iraq last fall.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:04:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Like all Hollywierd efforts these days.....it ain't worth the price of admission. I've heard a lot of negative comments about it.

I'll rent it on DVD when the price is $.99 for 8 days, no late fees.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:27:57 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
There were parts that reminded me of things I saw over there,but there were parts I didnt relate to at all. I try to take any Hollyweird portrayal of military life with a huge grain of salt.

I remember drinking water by the numbers. And taking pills by the numbers (and spitting it out)
I remember scorpion death matches. I dont remember playing football in MOP suits in Saudi Arabia.
I remember the convoys of completely destroyed cars and trucks. I never saw one horse the whole time-let alone covered in oil.
I remember doing shitter detail. I never saw anyone playing with a dead body.
The oil fires I remember -Though it seemed to mist oil everywhere - not pour oil from the sky and pool up in the fighting hole you are trying to dig.

Some seemed accurate -some seem like completley exagerated Hollyweird BS. I give it a 3.

Sir, FWIW I was in Bahrain during most of the first gulf war.  I worked in a trailer near the end of the Mina Sulman pier between the USS LaSalle, and USS Mount Whitney.   In late September of '90 two USNS maritime pre-deployed ships pulled along side loaded with Marines who I was told did intermediate level helicopter maintenence.  Every day at about the hottest time of the day, the Marines would run up and down the pier for some time.  I remember one particular day I noticed them wearing MOP gear, I couldn't believe my eyes.  Sure enough they started dropping like flies after a few minutes.  I never saw them run in their MOP gear after that.   7zero1, out.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:35:01 AM EDT
[#21]
does anybody know the code to quote another thread in its entirety?

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=136&t=442399

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=442375

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:41:23 AM EDT
[#22]
ok plot, sucky movie

moral: war is bad (for the people and environment); train forever, but dont expect to use such training in combat; the military was my life--my only redemption, w/out it i am nothing--->commits suicide

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:45:12 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

ETA: No Marine scout sniper would break down crying and screaming, also disobeying a direct order, in order to take a shot at the enemy which by the way was completely unrealistic. That entire scene was so rediculous it ruined a lot of the build up.

- rem

This movie is actually based on the book Jarhead, a memoir by Anthony Swoffard. The book was not about the gulf war, but rather his life, and how being a Marine affected it. The movie tried to be just a war movie, and in ignoring all of the other, more meaningful parts of Swoffard's life, it lost all of the emotional appeal that I found in the book.

Also, the scene in Basic with the abusive DI and the witty remark, that all happened. As did the scene with the the cancelled shot, but Troy (Swoffards friend) did not break down screaming and  crying, and no general ever came and took credit for an airstrike or anything. It was just a minor scene that the movie turned into the climax of the movie for some godawful reason.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:58:07 AM EDT
[#24]
This movie was "The Suck".
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:00:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:38:02 PM EDT
[#26]
The movie was bad, the book was worse.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#27]
The movie is titled "Jarhead", not Jarheads.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The movie is titled "Jarhead", not Jarheads.

Well pardon my extra S!!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:51:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Great, and here i was looking forward to watching it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:21:29 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Great, and here i was looking forward to watching it.

Don't let other people do your thinking for you....watch the movie if you want to. What others may think is a shitty movie may be something you will enjoy. I thought it was a pretty decent movie myself. It's just not a "war movie", and I think Swofford embellished the truth, having been in the Marine Corps myself.  But it does have its moments as long as you don't take it too seriously.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:30:45 AM EDT
[#31]
I  Thought it was the worst Marine movie ever maid.  And yes, I am a Marine!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top