Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:24:50 PM EDT
[#1]
just reaffirms my opinion of frats.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

“L.U.I.S.” will be the acronym for its name, which hasn't been chosen yet

I've veen trying like heck, but I can't come up with an appropriate name for this .org

Liquored Up Idiots Sliced ??

rj
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:27:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you break into someones house.....you have to deal with the consiquences.

Not sure they got in, it might have happened on a porch.

Either way, there is no law requiring you to sit back and let someone smash up your house. You CAN confront them, and if attacked you CAN defend yourself, unless you have commie laws like those in NY.

Sounds like the frat boys were drunk as skunks and wouldn't have listened to reason to boot.

Drunk guys tearing your house down?? Yeah. Reasonable cause to fear for your life.

Psst, Oswego IS in NY.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:30:55 PM EDT
[#4]
This whole thing is complete horseshit.

I'm amazed at how the parents are making attempts at victimizing their kids. "Oh, it was just vandalism, they only broke a few windows. We shouldn't have to be making funeral arrangements". Fu** that. Too many people seem to have a mentality that they can do whatever the hell they want with no consequences.

The guy was in his house, sleeping. Then three asshats start breaking shit. There's no way a reasonable person wouldn't be in fear for their life. Once they finally got the confrontation they wanted, they ended up getting owned.

End of story.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:32:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

L.U.I.S.” will be the acronym for its name, which hasn't been chosen yet

I've veen trying like heck, but I can't come up with an appropriate name for this .org

Liquored Up Idiots Sliced ??

rj

WE HAVE A WINNER!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:35:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It just occured to me, that Liberals think there is no such thing as a good death.  It's ALWAYS wrong when someone dies.  Perhaps this is why, whenever someone is killed, someone ALWAYS gets charged, period, stop?  

However, it's NOT always wrong.  There is such a thing as a just killing.  Self defense being the main category.    

Unless it's the death/killing of unborn children or retarded people.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:36:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Only in NY would this guy be charged.

Yep. If it happened in FL, the other two frat boys would have been charged with murder for the death of their cohort and the victim would be sleeping in his own bed.  Classic case of Castle Doctrine & Felony Murder here in the South.

Yes they would have!

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:38:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
In my experience, the Zeebs were the most arrogant nasty people on campus.  Gave the negative conotations associated with the term frat boy.  Especially the ones from NY.  They were rich and didnt give a shit about anyone else except their own.

I have found this to be true on more then one campus that I have been on.  

+1 and I graduated college in 92.  Looks like some things have not changed.  We called them "Zip Between Thighs" but that is probably giving them too much credit.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:42:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Just goes to show you that just because mommy and daddy can afford a college education does not mean that common sense is included.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:50:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Either way, there is no law requiring you to sit back and let someone smash up your house. You CAN confront them, and if attacked you CAN defend yourself, unless you have commie laws like those in NY.

Sounds like the frat boys were drunk as skunks and wouldn't have listened to reason to boot.

Drunk guys tearing your house down?? Yeah. Reasonable cause to fear for your life.

Psst, Oswego IS in NY.

Actually NY has a fairly strong self-defense provision in the PL. Oswego is a red county in NY as well.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:53:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn....2 lived....
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:04:45 PM EDT
[#12]
District Attorney Donald H. Dodd told Oswego City Judge James Metcalf Tuesday that “exculpatory evidence” will be presented on Christopher Motola's behalf at the hearing. Dodd said he anticipates a series of witnesses will testify.

According to the LAW.COM dictionary, exculpatory evidence is evidence that “may justify or excuse a defendant's actions and tend to show the defendant is not guilty or has no criminal intent.”

Ok. So if the DA presents this new evidence, the Judge agrees, does this mean he will be acquitted and can never be charged again? Double Jepoardy?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:08:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

They vandalized the home and taunted the residents inside, they did not enter.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'm south of Oswego in Syracuse, and I've been watching this unfold on the local news.  Kinda sad really, that it follows the standard formula for these kinds of things in the way it gets reported.  I have to say, I find the news here slightly biased.  They make it sound like a cold-blooded pre-meditated murder.  Couldn't be farther from the truth.  The dumbasses went to the wrong house, started to mix it up with a guy who had no clue what was happening and was obviously scared for his life, and one idiot got dead.

Keep us posted. I did my own searches on this. News articles lack detail/useful info. Seems like police are not saying much.

I would wager the "survivors" told a story that Motola initiated the "confrontation"/violence.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:11:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Y'all have to admit that is pretty bad ass. 3 on 1 and the one whips all three with a knife.  I guess we should all beware of the man with just a knife.

In all seriousness the more shit like this happens the more people should think before destroying or tresspassing with malice intent on someone's property.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:11:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As stated before, if they came within arms reach of the owners knife, odds are they were looking for it.  Hard to believe the guy would have been able to chase down all three kids and give them the business if they hadn't been coming at him.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:23:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quick let's ban knives, they kill people.

Chlorine in the gene pool, at least one was prevented from polluting society with his DNA.

In Texas this wouldn't have made the news, or maybe more like this.

"Local man defends self from attack, kills one assailant seriously injures two others"
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:24:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that a problem or just a correction?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:31:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Frat boy took the silver medal in a knife fight.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:34:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Quick let's ban knives, they kill people.

Chlorine in the gene pool, at least one was prevented from polluting society with his DNA.

In Texas this wouldn't have made the news, or maybe more like this.

"Local man defends self from attack, kills one assailant seriously injures two others"  Local man under question as to why he left two survivors

more like it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:01:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

“L.U.I.S.” will be the acronym for its name, which hasn't been chosen yet

L osers
U nderlings ?
I diots
S hitbags

Stuck on the U.

Frat boys out to "vandalize" (that's a crime still right?) a rival fraternity. check
Frat boys pick wrong house (possible intoxication?). check
Frat boys proceed to do property damage (that's a criminal act  too right?). check
Frat boys verbally taunt resident to come outside (threats made is a crime right?). check
Frat boys wounded and killed by homeowner defending himself. check

Frat boys listed as victims and innocent defender accused of crimes. WTF?

No Expert

ETA:

BAN the FRATS!  Do it for the children!  One boy is DEAD because of his membership in a FRAT!

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:08:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Stupidity hurts.

Big  +1
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:10:16 PM EDT
[#25]
I do believe that you have a "duty to retreat" according to NY law...

Meaning that if he did not attempt to escape the violence; he is the bad guy.

Yes, it's a f'ed up law.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:16:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
That was a preliminary hearing to determine whether there is reasonable cause to believe the defendant committed a felony, he could theoretically still be indicted even if the prelim goes his way.

Yeah, but if the DA is introducing evidence on his behalf, it's unlikely that they'll press it.

And if they do hold a hearing, and don't press charges, that's bound to help... discourage... lawsuits against him by the family.

He's free on $10k bond... That's not very much for Manslaughter.

All looks like he's just going to have to go through the motions of getting this dismissed.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:19:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what's the deal in NY? In Florida, the fratGottis would have been perpetrating a Burglary to a Dwelling, with an Assault, a crime punishable by life imprisonment without parole (the porch is the house here); any occupant of the premises would be legally privileged to kill them without regard to fear for his own safety, the way our law is written. In point of fact, Florida law probably authorizes passersby to kill people doing what the Guido Zeta Deads were doing.

What do you have to do to earn a dirt nap from a homeowner in NY?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:23:12 PM EDT
[#28]
I wonder what kind of nonsense prompted the frat boys to go out that night.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:36:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Seeing as he managed to cut all three, it appears that the three idiots decided to stick around and mess with the guy after he walked out with an "8 to 9 inch knife."  A knife that big is a pretty hard thing to miss.  Either they rushed him, or he managed to outrun all 3 kids before they got off of his front porch.

Wise man say "The only thing dumber than messing with someone's shit is messing with the owner when he's got a big freakin' knife."
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:42:43 PM EDT
[#30]
That would never have happened to me because fraternities dont live in trailers BUT...if it did, there would be three dead students. They were lucky he only had a knife.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:43:33 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
It just occured to me, that Liberals think there is no such thing as a good death.  It's ALWAYS wrong when someone dies.

Wrong.  Liberals think it is good when an infant is brutally murdered before he has a chance to take his first breath.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:05:21 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep. If it happened in FL, the other two frat boys would have been charged with murder for the death of their cohort and the victim would be sleeping in his own bed.  Classic case of Castle Doctrine & Felony Murder here in the South.

+1, the death of the frat guy would have been put on the other two because they were helping with the commision of the crime...that happened a few years ago when a couple of guys tried to rob a blockbuster near me.

Two guys go in, a customer carrying goes in while the crime is in progress, customer shoots and kills one...and holds the other til the police arrived. The death of the one guy was placed on his accomplice..charged and convicted.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:54:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Got what they had coming.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Sounds like three idiots went looking for a fight and found one.  Unfortunate for the family but I don't see how it could be blamed on anyone but the three idiots.  The only people charged should be the two remaining frat boys.

Charging the remaining frat boys may be possible.  When you commit a crime and someone dies, you can be charged with "felony murder" even if you weren't the person who caused the death directly.  Perfect example is when two burglars break into a house and the homeowner shoots one to death.  Burglar two may be charged with felony murder.

In this case, it would depend on whether or not they were committing a felony.

Interesting.

bd
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:21:28 PM EDT
[#35]
What brand knife was he using? I need to buy one, I know it gets the job done!!

I say,"F'em", there should have been 3 dead bodies instead of one!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:33:25 PM EDT
[#36]
I think and I hope that the defendant will be found not guilty on the basis of  self-defense. However, I don't think he should have ever gone outside. He didn't break the law and he's not responsible for the deceased's death, but I think he should have just called the cops and taken the blow to the ego and his house on the chin.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:47:32 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

What about CA, if they were in his house there he would still be charged
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:14:40 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
District Attorney Donald H. Dodd told Oswego City Judge James Metcalf Tuesday that “exculpatory evidence” will be presented on Christopher Motola's behalf at the hearing. Dodd said he anticipates a series of witnesses will testify.

According to the LAW.COM dictionary, exculpatory evidence is evidence that “may justify or excuse a defendant's actions and tend to show the defendant is not guilty or has no criminal intent.”

Ok. So if the DA presents this new evidence, the Judge agrees, does this mean he will be acquitted and can never be charged again? Double Jepoardy?

I believe that applies to an actual trial as opposed to a grand jury hearing, which is most likely the type of hearing they are talking about.

I don't believe jeapordy is attatched to grand jury hearings.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:16:43 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what's the deal in NY? In Florida, the fratGottis would have been perpetrating a Burglary to a Dwelling, with an Assault, a crime punishable by life imprisonment without parole (the porch is the house here); any occupant of the premises would be legally privileged to kill them without regard to fear for his own safety, the way our law is written. In point of fact, Florida law probably authorizes passersby to kill people doing what the Guido Zeta Deads were doing.

What do you have to do to earn a dirt nap from a homeowner in NY?

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:18:05 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
What brand knife was he using? I need to buy one, I know it gets the job done!!

I say,"F'em", there should have been 3 dead bodies instead of one!

Most stabbings and slashings happen with good ol' kitchen knives.

I doubt he had anything like my 9 inch Trailmaster II bowie.....
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:32:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:43:14 AM EDT
[#42]
You break in you get put down.

Simple.  If their son was smart this would of never happened.  Dumb ass broke into the wrong house, rushed some random man protecting his family and he gets killed.

I should feel sorry for him?

Hell no.

Max
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:43:23 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Just for educational purposes, the rules in NYS governing use of force and deadly physical force:

Interesting - so if they are trying to burn your house down, it's ok to use deadly force, but if they're hanging people from the tree outside your window, it's not ok?  It looks like if they're hanging people in the tree outside your window, you're supposed to retreat.

If they're throwing fire bombs in your house, it's ok to use deadly force, but if they're throwing nail bombs in your house, it's not...

How do you determine if they are burglarizing or breaking the glass for criminal mischief?

I'm not trying to be an ass here - that's just what I would consider a confusing law...

I do really like the part where the parent or guardian can use physical force, but not deadly force, for discipline.  "Son, you haven't completed your homework.  It's time for your hanging."  

Cheers,

kk7sm
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:50:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:53:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:52:37 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It just occured to me, that Liberals think there is no such thing as a good death.  It's ALWAYS wrong when someone dies.  Perhaps this is why, whenever someone is killed, someone ALWAYS gets charged, period, stop?  

However, it's NOT always wrong.  There is such a thing as a just killing.  Self defense being the main category.    

Its part of their hubris.  Liberals think they are smarter than everyone else, and that if they were there, they'd have found a way to peacefully resolve the situation.  If you have the stomach for it, go onto the DU and see what they post in response to these situations.  Its always "there is always another way."

That is exactly correct.  They always think they would have found a better way, and that guns are  never necessary.  They think they can talk their way out of anything, and that criminals are just misunderstood people who don't really want to hurt anybody.  Or they rely too heavily on martial arts, thinking that they can win a gunfight with their fists.  I know a guy in the latter category.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:55:03 AM EDT
[#47]
BAN Fraternaties!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:21:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:25:36 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I do believe that you have a "duty to retreat" according to NY law...

Meaning that if he did not attempt to escape the violence; he is the bad guy.

Yes, it's a f'ed up law.

Not exactly. Only if you can retreat with "complete safety as to himself and others" and the other exceptions listed below.

2. A person may not use deadly physical force upon another person
under circumstances specified in subdivision one unless:
(a) He reasonably believes that such other person is using or about to
use deadly physical force. Even in such case, however, the actor may not
use deadly physical force if he knows that he can with complete safety
as to himself and others avoid the necessity of so doing by retreating;
except that he is under no duty to retreat if he is:
(i) in his dwelling and not the initial aggressor; or
(ii) a police officer or peace officer or a person assisting a police
officer or a peace officer at the latter`s direction, acting pursuant to
section 35.30; or
(b) He reasonably believes that such other person is committing or
attempting to commit a kidnapping, forcible rape, forcible sodomy or
robbery; or
(c) He reasonably believes that such other person is committing or
attempting to commit a burglary, and the circumstances are such that the
use of deadly physical force is authorized by subdivision three of
section 35.20.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:54:40 AM EDT
[#50]
He just needs to lawyer up and articulate that he reasonably believed the frat boys were breaking in to the residence.

<snip>
3. A person in possession or control of, or licensed or privileged to
be in, a dwelling or an occupied building, who reasonably believes that
another person is committing or attempting to commit a burglary of such
dwelling or building, may use deadly physical force upon such other
person when he reasonably believes such to be necessary to prevent or
terminate the commission or attempted commission of such burglary.
<snip>

If he says he was pissed because they broke his window and went outside to carve one of them up then he has problems.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top