User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:09:06 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Only in NY would this guy be charged.

In Iowa this guy would be charged too.  There must be a reasonable attempt to avoid the situation then lethal force is allowed only if there is a perceived threat of serious injury or death.  Lethal force can't be used to protect property in Iowa.

Someone breaks into your home, blast them.  Someone busts out your windows and damages your siding while trying to lure you outside don't do it.  Call the police, hope for the best prepare for the worst (home invasion).  The second they step foot in you house open fire.

Property isn't worth killing over.  Thats what insurance is for.

Shok
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:46:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:48:07 AM EDT
[#3]
It's funny, but I didn't hear much about this in the news last night.  Maybe because it's a clear cut case of self defense rather than manslaughter, it's no longer newsworthy.

I'll keep you all posted as to how this turns out as soon as I find out.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:56:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In Iowa this guy would be charged too.  There must be a reasonable attempt to avoid the situation then lethal force is allowed only if there is a perceived threat of serious injury or death.  Lethal force can't be used to protect property in Iowa.

Someone breaks into your home, blast them.  Someone busts out your windows and damages your siding while trying to lure you outside don't do it.  Call the police, hope for the best prepare for the worst (home invasion).  The second they step foot in you house open fire.

Shok

In your opinion property isn't worth killing over. You'd be surprised how many don't agree with you.

I think property is worth killing someone over. Don't try to steal stuff I have worked for. Its a simple concept.

"Thats what insurance is for" sounds like something a lib would say....
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:05:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
In your opinion property isn't worth killing over. You'd be surprised how many don't agree with you.

I think property is worth killing someone over. Don't try to steal stuff I have worked for. Its a simple concept.

No, it is sage advise.

When you kill someone, when you actually take action that results in a dead man lying at your feet and his blood all over your hands, your life CHANGES.

All sorts of badness begins to happen to you after that. People you have known for years start to look at you different. You were Bob before, but now......you actually killed somebody. Even if the cops side with you and nobody tries to sue you, there are STILL consequences for having taken another human life.

It is something you should try to avoid if at all possible.

It is also tactically sound not to go starting a lethal confrontation over mere property damage if you are reasonably sure that is all that is at stake. Lethal fights are, well, LETHAL, and there is no guarantee that you are going to win the fight.

The wisest move is to only fight if you are left with no choice. Only risk a lethal confrontation if there is something on the line valuable enough to die for.

Personally, I value my own skin rather highly, and there isn't a whole lot I am willing to risk it over.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:06:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Members of "Pink Gangs" should confine their assclown activities to campus and not venture out in the real world even when having 3 to 1 odds...

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:16:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, it is sage advise.

When you kill someone, when you actually take action that results in a dead man lying at your feet and his blood all over your hands, your life CHANGES.

All sorts of badness begins to happen to you after that. People you have known for years start to look at you different. You were Bob before, but now......you actually killed somebody. Even if the cops side with you and nobody tries to sue you, there are STILL consequences for having taken another human life.

It is also tactically sound not to go starting a lethal confrontation over mere property damage if you are reasonably sure that is all that is at stake. Lethal fights are, well, LETHAL, and there is no guarantee that you are going to win the fight.

The wisest move is to only fight if you are left with no choice. Only risk a lethal confrontation if there is something on the line valuable enough to die for.

Personally, I value my own skin rather highly, and there isn't a whole lot I am willing to risk it over.

Well, the point is mute for me now anyway, since I live in NYS, and that certainly is not permissable here in any case.

I am talking conceptually. I just feel, IMHO, my property is worth defending. If more burglars/criminals knew they had more to worry about for stealing your TV for crack money, like getting their asses blown away, there might be a lot less burglaries.

Hell, currently in NYS, they KNOW they really have virtually no consequences for stealing, so why not?

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:21:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Killing someone just because they are damaging or stealing your property isn't SELF defense then is it?

Shok
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:22:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, it is sage advise.

+1  Good post.

Shok
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:24:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Killing someone just because they are damaging or stealing your property isn't SELF defense then is it?

Shok

I wasn't talking self defense. You said that property isn't worth killing someone over. I disagreed.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:26:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shok

Five words make it so.

"I feared for my Life".
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:31:54 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I wasn't talking self defense. You said that property isn't worth killing someone over. I disagreed.

If you kill someone over property it's unlikely you will have any for the rest of your life when all is said and done.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:35:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Motola must have nicked Antonetti's Abdominal Aorta in the scuffle.

Almost no way he could have bled to death so fast after receiving competent medical attention, unless maybe he sustained a severe laceration(s) to the liver or spleen which are very vascular.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:38:52 AM EDT
[#14]
The kid who dies got the education of a lifetime!!

Note to stupid college Fraternities who want to act like street punks:

1. Keep your hands off other people, being in a different frat is their business, not a reason for you to act like assholes and attack them like idiotic street gangs.

2. Stay off of, Out of and away from other peoples property, I'm sure your mommy told you this at young age as mine did, REMEMBER IT!

3. If you violate any of the above you deserve what you get, if interested in more information on the topic of how to treat other people look up the Ten Commandments in the bible. The Golden Rule, the Crime Codes for your specific area.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:40:38 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you kill someone over property it's unlikely you will have any for the rest of your life when all is said and done.

Again, I said I thought so conceptually...as you know in NYS it is not permissable. Plus with the fucked up legal system, even if you are in the right legally there lots of crap you have to worry about.

But conceptually, I believe you should be able to defend property with deadly force, and if its ruled a good shoot, then thats it, case over, fuck the dead POS's family...he shouldn't have been doing something that would get him killed to begin with.....
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:44:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I disagreed.

Sorry, you can't do that.

Shok
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:44:36 AM EDT
[#17]

Dead frat boy attacked the wrong house

Damn.. you got my hopes up that we were finally going to get our zombie epidemic.
Next time make it clear that he was dead AFTER attacking the house, not while he was doing it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:48:12 AM EDT
[#18]
A person who steals your property steals the labor you invested in acquiring the property. He compels you to labor to replace the property. A person who steals or compels your labor enslaves you. I have no moral qualms about killing to prevent a man from enslaving me.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:49:58 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Dead frat boy attacked the wrong house

Damn.. you got my hopes up that we were finally going to get our zombie epidemic.
Next time make it clear that he was dead AFTER attacking the house, not while he was doing it.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:50:34 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
A person who steals your property steals the labor you invested in acquiring the property. He compels you to labor to replace the property. A person who steals or compels your labor enslaves you. I have no moral qualms about killing to prevent a man from enslaving me.

Great post, eloquently put.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:55:47 AM EDT
[#21]
I have my sights on this thread!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:27:10 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

“L.U.I.S.” will be the acronym for its name, which hasn't been chosen yet

I've veen trying like heck, but I can't come up with an appropriate name for this .org

L osers
U seless
I diots
S hitbags

Stuck on the U.

Fixed it for you.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:52:40 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shok

You may want to check that Q.  Most states have the lethal force stipulation but I highly doubt any state has the obligation to retreat clause.  That's like giving criminals a gurantee non-interference clause.  

Tj

According to Iowa code you can defend property and prevent felonies with "reasonable force".  Lethal force is not reasonable force for defending property.  Non-lethal force is OK (kick them in the nutz).  There is not a non-interference clause but a non-lethal clause in Iowa code.  Reasonable force is defined as follows:

Iowa Code Defenses

704.1 Reasonable force.
    "Reasonable force" is that force and no more which a reasonable person, in like circumstances, would judge to be necessary to prevent an injury or loss and can include deadly force if it is reasonable to believe that such force is necessary to avoid injury or risk to one's life or safety or the life or safety of another, or it is reasonable to believe that such force is necessary to resist a like force or threat. Reasonable force, including deadly force, may be used even if an alternative course of action is available if the alternative entails a risk to life or safety, or the life or safety of a third party, or requires one to abandon or retreat from one's dwelling or place of business or employment.
    (C51, §2773; R60, §4442; C73, §4112; C97, §5102; C24, 27, 31, 35, 39, § 12921; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, §691.1; C79, 81, §704.1; 81 Acts, ch 204, §2)
    "Dwelling" defined, see § 702.10

Deadly force is only allowed when there is a threat of serious injury or death when alternatives entails a risk to life or safety.  The exception being if the alternative requires one to abondon or retreat from one's dwelling.

In Iowa you can't walk outside and stab someone to death for vandalizing your home.  If that guy was in Iowa he would be charged also.

Shok
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:02:25 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

“L.U.I.S.” will be the acronym for its name, which hasn't been chosen yet

I've veen trying like heck, but I can't come up with an appropriate name for this .org

L osers
U seless
I diots
S hitbags

Stuck on the U.

Fixed it for you.  

Nah, there was a better one on page 3...

Liquored Up Idiots Sliced
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:56:10 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shok

When somone is destroying your home with you in it while luring you to come outside it's not the same as sneaking in a yard stealing a yard ornament. No wonder there is so much crime these days, like someone else said, there is a law of no interference in whatever somebody decideds to do.

They are more brazen than that around here, they carjack shoot and rob people in nice areas in broad daylight, nobody is going to resist anyway. Most of the time they rob you then shoot you anyway, just for fun.

I'm not saying I would shoot them, in all cases, because unfortunatly I have a concious but I would send a gift basket to anyone else that does so.

I guess I can scratch Iowa off my potential places to move to.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:04:33 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, it is sage advise.

+1  Good post.

Shok

No, stupid post, I would rather not kill anyone either but giving the feral humans free reign to do whatever they want with absolutly no interference from anyone simply raises the bar on what they are willing to try to get away with, and has led to the current state of being, both here and in Europe, where I hear they call it "vigalantyism" if you try to resist ANY  crime against yourself, rape included.

Yes if you have to kill sombody your life will change, it's too bad some people chose to violate other people and make them have to kill them. I sincerely hope nobody makes me have to kill them so I go out of my way to avoid it, I hope my lucky streak continues.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:10:00 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
So, why haven't the other two sh!t bags been arrested? Shouldn't they have been charged with assualt, distruction of private peoperty ect. as soon as they are released from the hospital. So, if I go rob a bank in Buffalo and get hurt they just let me go.

I don't have time to read this whole thread, but I believe if someone dies during the commission of a crime, including the criminals, the accomplices would face charges of manslaughter.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:13:59 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:58:07 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
When somone is destroying your home with you in it while luring you to come outside it's not the same as sneaking in a yard stealing a yard ornament. No wonder there is so much crime these days, like someone else said, there is a law of no interference in whatever somebody decideds to do.

You are right; the theft of the lawn ornament would be larceny. The destruction is criminal mischief. Society through its elected reps has given each offense its respective level of punishment and what steps can legally  be taken to prevent that particular offense from occuring. Don't like it, talk to your reps and get the laws changed.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:01:35 AM EDT
[#30]
From the lawyer's point of view, it soley depends whether or not the assailants presented a clear and imminent threat inside the homeowner's primary dwelling.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:54:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Ban 8-9 inch double bladed knives.......for the frat children.    

The beer muscled frat brats went to a knife fight armed only with fists.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:02:29 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you break into someones house.....you have to deal with the consiquences.

Especially when you break into someone's house and then proceed to attack him 3 on one.

If someone did that to my house they wouldn't have been stabbed. All three who tried to attack me would have been shot.

The home owner here seems to have had a legitimate reason to be in fear for his life, and his use of lethal force seems absolutely justified based on the facts in the article. The "shouldn't have been killed" arguement is moot, as the jackass doing the assaulting should not have been giving the home owner reason to fear for his life.

Moral of the story is don't assault people or they might just fight back and kill your sorry ass.

<some bleeding heart moron> BUT, but this CHILD only made a juvenile mistake! The man should have called the police and allowed his property to be destroyed! And had the children come INTO his house, he should have fled!</some bleeding heart moron>

<Rational person> If you PLAN on taking the law into your own hands, and then BREAK the law (property destruction/vandalism) in an attempt at REVENGE then are STOOPID [sic] enough to "take revenge" oon the WRONG PARTY, whatever happens to yuou happens... it's called "survival f the fittest!</Rational person>

I'll admit my heart bleeds now and again, but not =, for CRIMINALS which, is EXACTLY what the "frat asshats" were. CRIMINALS. Period.

I hope that the charges are drpped post haste.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#33]
tagging for outcome and for more of the spirited debate...

Woody
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:07:45 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Ban 8-9 inch double bladed knives.......for the frat children.  

The beer muscled frat brats went to a knife fight armed only with fists.  

Double edged knives are classified as daggers and are already banned in NY.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:31:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:58:25 AM EDT
[#36]
news10now.com/content/all_news/oswego_county/?ArID=60679&SecID=155

Motola waives his right to preliminary hearing
Updated: 2/27/2006 7:41:28 AM
By: News 10 Now Web Staff

Christopher Motola waived his right to a preliminary hearing Monday in Oswego City Court.

Motola is accused of stabbing Luis Antonetti to death outside of his Oswego home on 5th Avenue last weekend.

Motola's attorney Anthony DiMartino says the purpose of today's hearing was supposed to allow him to cross examine some of the prosecutions witnesses to further develop his case that Motola acted in self defense. DiMartino says the Judge was going to limit the testimony, and that is why he decided to waive the hearing.

Motola's lawyer says they can prove he acted in self defense.

"My client opened the door and as soon as he opened the door and came out he was attacked by three individuals in succession, there is a lot more to the story that has been reported and we believe he defended himself," said DiMartino.

Now the case will go to a grand jury which the defense believes will be heard in the next one to three weeks.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:19:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:50:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top