Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Everyone striking should be fired and management should replace the strikers with those who want to work.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You should be willing to work for 10 cents an hour with no benefits.  

In fact, you should refund the company at least 5 cents an hour for the honor of working there.

Then you should agree to the company running your life outside of work just to be safe.

Management is always right.

It's Americans who want to be paid who are getting jobs moved overseas. It has nothing to do with globalism and the American government selling out the American citizens with free trade and other agreements.

Illegal aliens are only here to do the jobs Americans won't do for no money and no benefits.

The job you do isn't worth minimum wage, yet you get paid more and are complaining.

You shouldn't belong to any group that bargains collectively, thats communistic.

CEO's are worth 100 million minimum a year, even when they destroy their companies while giving themselves bonuses.

Unions support the democrats and offer nothing to their members.

Corporations wouldn't make you work in an unsafe way to make more money.

I sense sarcasm.

AllHail Big Business and Multi-National Corporations--ONE WORLD ORDER
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#3]
You must be Sikorsky Aircraft employee!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#4]
That's one reason I've gone into truck driving.  As long as I don't bend the truck, I've got a job.  The demand is steadily going up and the supply of drivers is steadily going down.  I as a driver will be competitive.  And I like that.  I'd feel bad if I was some kind of fuck up but kept on because of the union.  I worked at Kroger's about 4 or 5 years ago and refused to join their union.  When the Union negotiated the next pay raise that I didn't get, I still made more money than union workers because I didn't have to pay dues.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:18:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Lets see....how many 20% copays could I make if I only had all the regular wages I lost while I was out on strike?

If one goes on strike for a 50 cent an hour increase over their scale of $25.86 an hour and are out for 2 weeks they would have to work for the next 2 years just to break even. That assumes they get the whole 50 cents. With inflation....they actually loose money. Sharp as a marble.

My favorite are the strikes that go on for months and months and the company won't budge.

Then, at the last minute before the company switches to permanent replacement workers, the union heads sweap in and settle for a deal they said was crap when the strike started. All so they can keep the workers paying their dues.

Wokers end up missing several months worth of pay that they'll never recoup, but the leaders are happy because their dues will keep rolling in.

Sheer brilliance!

Samething happened at my former employer. The union went on strike, struck for two weeks, ended up settling for less than the original offer. Ended up losing 25% of our business. Closed 15 stores and laid off 1500 people.

Go Unions! Dumbasses.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:20:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm with you on this.  I hope the company goes under and the plant has to close.  You union guys need to show them who's boss.  It's better for there not to be a Sikorsky company than a company which does do what the workers want it to do.  This is America, after all.

+1
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:21:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So, i'm sure you wouldn't bitch about a pay cut ?

My health care costs increased this year. So, yeah, I took a pay cut because my raise did not cover cost of living increases + my increased health care costs.

For some reason, I'm not striking.

Quoted:
It would be totally counter productive for companys with several hundred/thousand employees to negotiate pays on an individual basis

Funny. I work for one of the largest companies in the world (307,000 employees) and they don't seem to have a problem negotiating their own pay. Talk about out of touch.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:25:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe if they called them "Confederates" instead of "Unions" more of you southerners would join.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:28:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So, i'm sure you wouldn't bitch about a pay cut ?

My health care costs increased this year. So, yeah, I took a pay cut because my raise did not cover cost of living increases + my increased health care costs.

For some reason, I'm not striking.

Quoted:
It would be totally counter productive for companys with several hundred/thousand employees to negotiate pays on an individual basis

Funny. I work for one of the largest companies in the world (307,000 employees) and they don't seem to have a problem negotiating their own pay. Talk about out of touch.

So your telling me each individual person 307,000 negotiate their own pay with the mgmnt ......Or are you mgmnt and outta touch with labor?
Edit --how long does that take for 307000 negotiations ??
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:28:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's a crazy idea for you.  Go to work.  Do your job.  

Why in the hell don't more companies just fire striking employees?  If I stopped coming in to work I don't think they'd keep me around too long.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Go management!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:30:11 PM EDT
[#12]
enlisted military get some of the worst pay/work ratio known to man, yet you don't see them striking! Back in the 20's unions served a great purpose in pushing through some needed reforms, but now unions feed on their own greed as a sole purpose of existance.

Fire them all, then re-hire them on an indiviual basis at a 40% pay cut.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Here's a crazy idea for you.  Go to work.  Do your job.  

Why in the hell don't more companies just fire striking employees?  If I stopped coming in to work I don't think they'd keep me around too long.  

we have a no strike clause in our contract ,so I don't understand the Not working either......we do have a lot of hard working individuals and a few(about5%) of idiots who take advantage of the system....the union does drag their feet when it comes to defending someone who obviously does NOT want to work ......
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:35:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Any mention of Unions here sure shows the dark side of a lot of people here:Miserable, hateful, envious, itching to hurt others in any way they can,with a generous helping of Misery Loves Company
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Boy, new to the board and posting here. Am i asking for it or what ?
I work for a big name company thru a third party company (so the big company doesnt have to assume liability or pay their non-union wages)
The company i work for is unionized mainly becouse our company has tried to start a revolving employment base (working employees for 3 months and hiring new ones to replace them via temp services while rotating temp employees) This keeps the employees from recieving any benifits of any time.
After ten years of employment i make a little over 13 dollars an hour, get a .25 an hour raise per year while my insurance gets raised approx. 18 - 20% a year (lose more there than the raise gives) our insurance has co-pays plus deductables.  (thats 25cents per hour raise)
Our boss makes 100k per year plus bonuses. (what ever they have left after they meet budget is divided amoung management . So, they do what they can to get the most work for the least pay so their cut gets bigger.
Also, we went from two fifteen minute breaks and a thirty minute lunch to one ten minute break and a twenty minute lunch in an eight hour period.
I am by no means defending all unions, but i do feel some are necessary.
I started working at this job after i was fired becouse the bosses nephew needed the job. I found out after i trained him to take my place .  Go figure. lol
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:38:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Any mention of Unions here sure shows the dark side of a lot of people here:Miserable, hateful, envious, itching to hurt others in any way they can,with a generous helping of Misery Loves Company

Some of them hate unions because they are mangement, its what they are trained to do. The rest of them just wish they made union scale.

And then there are guys who are pure capitalists, they get every penny they can for their labor.

Good luck man.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:42:21 PM EDT
[#17]
There are just lots of us here that each person should be judged on their merits.  Not skin color, the union dues they pay, their religion.  No advantages to anyone other than those you get out there and earn for your hard work.  Going to work is called going to work for a reason.  Your their to bust ass. Without a union you can excel more readily in a lot of companies because of the freedome of your superiors to recognize hard work and reward it.  Unions are not pro worker, they are pro unions.  If they were so pro worker most of their execs wouldn't have 6 figure salaries from the dues you pay them.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:43:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I work for a big name company thru a third party company (so the big company doesnt have to assume liability or pay their non-union wages)
The company i work for is unionized mainly becouse our company has tried to start a revolving employment base (working employees for 3 months and hiring new ones to replace them via temp services while rotating temp employees) This keeps the employees from recieving any benifits of any time.
After ten years of employment i make a little over 13 dollars an hour, get a .25 an hour raise per year while my insurance gets raised approx. 18 - 20% a year (lose more there than the raise gives) our insurance has co-pays plus deductables.  (thats 25cents per hour raise)
Our boss makes 100k per year plus bonuses. (what ever they have left after they meet budget is divided amoung management . So, they do what they can to get the most work for the least pay so their cut gets bigger.
Also, we went from two fifteen minute breaks and a thirty minute lunch to one ten minute break and a twenty minute lunch in an eight hour period.
I started working at this job after i was fired becouse the bosses nephew needed the job. I found out after i trained him to take my place .  Go figure. lol

Sounds like you need to find a new job if that one is so bad..
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:52:47 PM EDT
[#19]
the market is not to good for us old farts who have nothing other than general labor skills. In my erea it seems geared alot more to the younger employees who have youth and less health risks on their side.
Not nocking them at all . We all have to work somewhere and in this erea its not easy to find a good job thats not seasonal (as in tourist related work the summer months and draw thru the winter )
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:57:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Our boss makes 100k per year plus bonuses. (what ever they have left after they meet budget is divided amoung management .

I'd pay him 100K too if he could convince that many people to work for him at those crap wages.

Improve your skills, become an employee that people want and you can make the 100K.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:57:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So your telling me each individual person 307,000 negotiate their own pay with the mgmnt

A portion of that workforce is union, I'm sure, and thusly collectively bargin. However, there are hundreds of thousands of employees whose pay is determined by their managers every year based on (here is a novel concept for you union types) merit.

Quoted:

I just had mine yesterday: about an hour per employee per manager.

You really don't know how the non-union world works, do you?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:00:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Our boss makes 100k per year plus bonuses. (what ever they have left after they meet budget is divided amoung management .

I'd pay him 100K too if he could convince that many people to work for him at those crap wages.

Improve your skills, become an employee that people want and you can make the 100K.

DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:02:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So your telling me each individual person 307,000 negotiate their own pay with the mgmnt

A portion of that workforce is union, I'm sure, and thusly collectively bargin. However, there are hundreds of thousands of employees whose pay is determined by their managers every year based on (here is a novel concept for you union types) merit.

Quoted:

I just had mine yesterday: about an hour per employee per manager.

You really don't know how the non-union world works, do you?

I was a project manager for a concrete construction company(non union) that primarily did municipal work around the entire midwest and east coast for 10 years ....thanks for playing try again sir..
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:08:27 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Dude, go get a better job. Go work for Walmart. You would be making more than that after 10 years.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:10:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I was a project manager for a concrete construction company(non union) that primarily did municipal work around the entire midwest and east coast for 10 years ....thanks for playing try again sir..

Then how could you ask a question like this:

Quoted:

This is the situation that most Americans find themselves in. Every year these employees "negotiate" their pay. Their managers can either honor their request for a raise based on their merit or tell them to go pound sand.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Do you still get paid while you're out on strike?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:36:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Has he been fired yet?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:39:28 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Step into the real world of paying a portion of your health insurance costs..

I do its called co-pay
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Do you still get paid while you're out on strike?

No

cynic-I started as a laborer and in 2 yrs I was project manager ,I know the merit system ...I'm just saying alot of co.'s use collective bargaining(both unionand non).....Do union fatcats get rich off our money of course ,do they merit that ?no......there are exceptions tho.Is every union worker a lazy uneducated slob ? NO .....Most of us go to work every day ,work hard and get paid a decent buck ,shouldn't we work where we can make the most $?? In my current proffesion ,that place is union ........I am not PRO union(so to speak) ,but have worked on all sides of the fence and really don't see the need for all the union bashing ......Thanks ,gotta go to work now ...D
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Step into the real world of paying a portion of your health insurance costs..

+1.  Welcome to reality pal, this isn't commie utopia.

No shit, I don't even know how to tell you how small your gripe is.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:51:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Unions do serve their purpose, however, for the most part, that purpose is gone.

Costs imposed on General Motors by the UAW through excessive benefits packages, and ridiculously high pay that they are garunteed regardless of merits adds thousands of dollars to each vehicle sold.  There are numerous documented cases of union workers intentionally adding steps to a job process so that more union labor will be required when the job could be done faster and more efficiently by one individual.  

Other cases have involved substandard assembly jobs, corner cutting, and sheer laziness that have reduced production, and therefore, profits.  Yet these schmucks have the nerve to complain about being required to pay 20% of their medical bills.  It will be interesting to see how much the number of unneccessary insurance claims drop if that provision is in fact added to the contract.

Union labor also holds workers back.  When their pay is not based upon individual merits, what incentive do they have to excel in their job?  None.  The quality of American made cars would increase exponentially if the worker's pay was based entirely on that individual's merits.  Look at the quality of the American made Toyotas, generally it exceeds the quality of "domestic" automobiles.  Toyota does not have union labor (at least as far as I know), therefore they are able to keep costs down and provide a quality product.

Unions have forced companies to flee from areas that are strongly union, and go to "right to work" states where the individual employee can not be required to join a union to work.  Union labor is also the cause of the outsourcing that we have seen in recent years.

To sum it up:  Unions are a leech that sucks the lifeblood out of the American economy.  To simplify that, let's just say that unions suck.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Cavvet feels the need to I'm me with bullshit like "maybe if you put another 20 votes in this thread you could be called a troll"  Since what I've said so far has been along with the majority of people here, I'll get started on that just so he can get his rocks off calling me a troll.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:02:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Good luck to you.  I know what you are going through.  I was on strike for almost 3 months.  It pretty much sucked.  I did play quite a bit of golf when I wasn't walking a picket line.

And as has been mentioned, strikes usually don't produce the intended results.  When you had your first strike meeting I bet 95% of the folks there were gung ho saying stuff like "whatever it takes", blah, blah, blah.  The reality is that the majority of them will cave and you will go back to work and not get anything close to what you are asking.  Just my experience.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:04:27 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Cavvet feels the need to I'm me with bullshit like "maybe if you put another 20 votes in this thread you could be called a troll"  Since what I've said so far has been along with the majority of people here, I'll get started on that just so he can get his rocks off calling me a troll.

I wont call you anything. Once you post an IM message, you speak volumes about yourself.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:06:37 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I'm with you on this.  I hope the company goes under and the plant has to close.  You union guys need to show them who's boss.  It's better for there not to be a Sikorsky company than a company which does do what the workers want it to do.  This is America, after all.

Familar with Union activities in British Columbia, are you?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:07:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Once you IM that kinda shit to someone you speak volumes about yourself.  If you disagree with what I've said, then fine,  Have the cajones to air it in public.  If you agree with everything I've said, then you wouldn't be calling me a troll.  Move along, nothing to see here.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:13:46 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I'm glad you guys are striking.

Union labor is what got us health care to begin with. Union labor is who got us the 5 day work week.
Union labor is who got us fair pay for fair work. Union labor is who got restraints placed on managment so we have a fair shake.

Keep up the good work man. Regardless of the republican jackels here I support you and so does every other Working man. Even if he doesn't realize that he does.

BTW you need to load and shoot more. Believe me the wife is happy to have you out of her hair.

Fuck Yeh!  Sorry I'm a former union president  IAFF 3639
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:14:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Does it bother anyone else that this is a Defense plant and we're a country at war?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:14:47 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

no offense, but unless you're developing a career track, you're wasting your time.  i'm a bartender, and right now i'm suffering through $12-$15/hr during our slow season.  come late april, i'll be looking at 4+ months of $40-$50/hour.  i've worked clubs where i was making $60k+/year working part time.  

now, i don't say this to be arrogant--i'm certainly not making what many other board members are.  my point is that this is a job that i'm doing while i develop plans for owning my own business.  i do not intend to go through life as someone else's employee.  i'm not getting comfortable in a middle-management job so i can have 2 weeks paid vacation and a nice dental plan.  these things aren't important to me.  what is important to me is to chart my own course through life.  

i have a goodly amount of high-pressure management experience, even though it pays less than working the bar, because of the advantages that gives me with potential investors.  in other words, i'll do shit work provided that it furthers my agenda.  what i will not do is to relax into a menial job just to pay the bills.

my point is that you are deciding, every day, to make money for your boss.  at some point, you have to stand up and chart a course through your professional life, or, to be blunt, you deserve to be exploited.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:17:21 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Once you IM that kinda shit to someone you speak volumes about yourself.  If you disagree with what I've said, then fine,  Have the cajones to air it in public.  If you agree with everything I've said, then you wouldn't be calling me a troll.  Move along, nothing to see here.

Enjoy the 35 a year, if you stay out 2 months at a time.

If you decide you want to make some real money, and not be a slave to get it, send me an IM.

Man that schedule is gonna hurt the 40 posts a day isnt it?

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:19:23 PM EDT
[#41]
You'll NEVER find my ass walking a picket line.  I'll work at Burger King and McDonald's flipping burgers before I do that.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Does it bother anyone else that this is a Defense plant and we're a country at war?

Yup, but union labor in general bothers me more.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Enjoy the 35 a year, if you stay out 2 months at a time.

If you decide you want to make some real money, and not be a slave to get it, send me an IM.

Man that schedule is gonna hurt the 40 posts a day isnt it?

One, your reading comprehension SUCKS.  You totally distorted those facts.  Besides a lot of truckdrivers LOVE their jobs and you fail to take into account that thanks to the nice LOW cost of living and very few bills, not only will I like my job, enjoy bi annual raises, but that I'll, in proportion, be making a hell of a lot more money than it sounds like I'll be making.  Did I mention that I'll get to see the country?  Oh guess not.  That matters to some people.  Not to mention, apparently its in my blood, I've got the number one thing about being a trucker down.  Arguing with a trucker is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, they both love it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:26:44 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Fuck Yeh!  Sorry I'm a former union president  IAFF 3639

What's IAFF? International Assosciation of Fleecing Felons.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:30:30 PM EDT
[#45]
I've never seen the point of the IAFF, I see depts they do wonders for, and I see depts that they won't lift a finger for.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:45:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Unions are outdated and are another way for unmotivated people to latch onto a TIT that is not the .gov.  They are brining down our American businesses and making us more dependant on foriegn workers.  OUTSOURCING and UNIONS will be the downfall of OUR ECONOMY!

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Apparently,spelling is an outdated idea also...
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:01:55 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
cynic-I started as a laborer and in 2 yrs I was project manager ,I know the merit system ...I'm just saying alot of co.'s use collective bargaining(both unionand non)

They don't use collective bargining, they are forced to by the government.

Quoted:
Most of us go to work every day ,work hard and get paid a decent buck ,shouldn't we work where we can make the most $?? In my current proffesion ,that place is union ........I am not PRO union(so to speak) ,but have worked on all sides of the fence and really don't see the need for all the union bashing

I don't see the need for all the corporate bashing. I'm sorry if I come across as an asshole, but I hate socialism/collectivism in all of their forms. In this case, that form is labor unions, personified by picketing union members.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:12:36 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Apparently,spelling is an outdated idea also...

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:20:07 PM EDT
[#50]
I am currently laid off from a large automotive manufacturing plant. It has been over 3yrs., the chance of me getting called back SLIM AT BEST. Now, with that being said, was I overpaid. Yep. Did I like being in a union, NOP. Why ? Because the only people that they defend do not deserve it. Did I like my job, Yep. Was damn good at it, never missed a day, showed up sober, and hit my production #'s 98% of the time, even with equipment failure. But what really spelled the end for me. When people with over 40yrs. of service started collecting their full social security benefits and continued to work full time. You see the gubment change the rules a little bit. See if you are of your retirement age then you can draw full benefits and make as much money as you want. 200 people that were expected to retire did not. And what happened after that. All the youngins were laid off due to demand going down. Now production is down, quality is down. However, I am fine I make just as much money now as I did working there. Work less hours, and I still work for somebody else, but I get paid on commision.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top