Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/25/2006 7:02:23 PM EDT
Hey Everyone,
My boyfriend swears by this website so I will give it a shot!  I am currently living in a town home.  Unfortunately my bedroom wall sits right on the other side of my neighbors 5.1 surround sound system.  I would like to attempt to soundproof my wall more than it is and I don't mind tearing into it.  There are many sites on the net, but they all are the sponsors of their own product so I know that I probably cannot trust them.  I was hoping to enlist the help of a construction know-it-all because I do not even think Chuck Norris can help.

CJ
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Your a screamer huh?

Oh, and hi...  

Edit: If there playing there crap loud at night, ask them to turn it down/off after a certain time... If they dont comply, call the cops..
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Break in when they leave and steal the stereo.

Piss on the drapes and leave.

Ohh, and welcome.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:04:28 PM EDT
[#3]
insulation, how many interior walls are filled with it?  Not many, just the minimum.  You can get that spray stuff.  Maybe even just have to drill pilot holes and spray it in to fill up between the studs.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:04:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Fill them with Jell-o.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:04:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Thats what I was thinking!!!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:04:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Welcome.

Tag......just to see what happens
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:05:15 PM EDT
[#7]
you know how to drywall right?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:06:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Thats what I was thinking!!!!

Your a screamer huh?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:06:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Get a bunch of old mattresses and line the walls with those. You can glue them down with roofing adhesive.

Lots of duct tape will work to bind up your victims once you finish the quiet room.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:06:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
insulation, how many interior walls are filled with it?  Not many, just the minimum.  You can get that spray stuff.  Maybe even just have to drill pilot holes and spray it in to fill up between the studs.

+1 and this stuff called green glue that goes between the drywall, your neighbors should be doing this.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I know a bit about drywall and I also know that the spray foam will NOT work!hinking.gif
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#12]
The best sound proofing is a dead air, such as a secondary wall with vapor barriers and air space between the two walls. However, your problem is more than likely the low frequency noise from his subwoofer. This noise will transmit through the framing members and is all most impossible to eliminate.

Your best bet is to put sound deadening material on the wall and hope for the best.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:14:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:14:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Im still sticking with asking them to turn it down/off after a certain time (say 10pm), then if they dont comply, call the cops.... Easy as that... Easier and less expensive....

Of course they can retaliate, but then you can "DRAW DOWN!!!"
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:19:44 PM EDT
[#15]
It is not that they are really loud, but as someone said it is their sub. that I am hearing.  They will know that it is me who called the cops and I am alone here most of the time.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:22:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It is not that they are really loud, but as someone said it is their sub. that I am hearing.  They will know that it is me who called the cops and I am alone here most of the time.  

Thats why you ask them to turn it down first......Always ask... If they continue then call the cops....
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:23:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Tear off the wall boards (drywall).  Install fiberglass insulation batting.  Replace wall boards.  Add additional "false" studs over the wall board.  Install additional fiberglass batting.  Cover with wall boards and finish.  

You will lose 4" to 6" of floor space due to the false wall but it will be quieter.  If you share a common attic or basement, you may need to remedy that, too.

Work out a deal with them that after a certain time, the volume goes down and stays down.

There are several MOST EXCELLENT wireless headphones on the market now.  Suggest that they invest in a set of those.  With the headphones, you can blast it as loud as you want and you won't disturb anyone.  A $300 headphone sounds better than a $3000 speaker system.  A $100 headphone sounds better than a $1000 speaker system...

For example, SONY makes them in true surround sound, at least 5.1 compliant.  Their more expensive model even has a gyro built in so the sound field stays stationary even when you rotate your head.  Good headphones are a good thing.  

You can even buy additional headphone sets that will work off the single transmitter, thereby saving considerable $$$.  My wife and I watch movies this way after our daughter goes to bed.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:27:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Wouldn't you GUYS get upset if your neighbor asked you to turn it down especially during Sunday or Monday night football
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:27:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Tear off the wall boards (drywall).  Install fiberglass insulation batting.  Replace wall boards.  Add additional "false" studs over the wall board.  Install additional fiberglass batting.  Cover with wall boards and finish.  

Why not just tear off the sheetrock, add 2 - 4" on the studs, install R30 insulation in the space, then install sound deadening material used for cars ontop of that and then sheetrock over that?

You would only lose about 3-5" of floor space then.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh and trust me I have better sex toys than that!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Just think, "disturbing the peace".  The law is on your side.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dll/highresimage?saleitemid=453211

Leave her sex toys out of this!

it's a dog toy
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:28:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Wouldn't you GUYS get upset if your neighbor asked you to turn it down especially during Sunday or Monday night football

After a certain time, its just having respect for your neighbors.... If I had a neighbor that close and they asked me to keep things down after a certain time, it wouldnt bother me one bit.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoting that just for posterity sakes.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:29:10 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why not just tear off the sheetrock, add 2 - 4" on the studs, install R30 insulation in the space, then install sound deadening material used for cars ontop of that and then sheetrock over that?

The extra layer of sheetrock improves the sound reduction factor.  Your way would also work.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wouldn't you GUYS get upset if your neighbor asked you to turn it down especially during Sunday or Monday night footballhr

After a certain time, its just having respect for your neighbors.... If I had a neighbor that close and they asked me to keep things down after a certain time, it wouldnt bother me one bit.

Wish they were that cool
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wish they were that cool

If the continue after asked, its what was said earlier, "disturbing the peace" call the cops...
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:31:21 PM EDT
[#29]
When do they sleep?  You need to learn to play the drums.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The extra layer of sheetrock improves the sound reduction factor.  Your way would also work.

Yeah, I'm just thinking she may not want to lose to much space to extra insulation/sheetrock.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Both ways sound great but the 3-5" loss of floor space would be best.  What type of sound deadening material is used for cars and where can one get it?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Now you did it.
15 pages mininum before the lock.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:35:00 PM EDT
[#33]
is this what you mean Mass Loaded  Vinyl" barrier http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/flooring.htm
I know there are MANY like it
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:37:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Good, better, best.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#35]
to really block sound waves, you need dense mass.

foamish stuff won't do it.

if you could fill the wall with lead, it'd work, but that's not feasible.

maybe make an ammo fort on that wall?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:37:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Get a high frequency static device that will be picked up by their speaker system. Every time they turn it up. Turn on the generator.  It will drive them nuts.........
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:38:01 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now you did it.
15 pages mininum before the lock.

It was a joke are we really going to get locked
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
is this what you mean Mass Loaded  Vinyl" barrier http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/flooring.htm
I know there are MANY like it

I found this, and it may do a better job than having to build up the wall an extra few inches:

www.acoustiblok.com/residential.html

But I couldn't find a price on there, so it may or may not be expensive.

Someone said something about the need for extra mass:  this stuff weighs up to 2lbs per sq. ft.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:40:16 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Get a high frequency static device that will be picked up by their speaker system. Every time they turn it up. Turn on the generator.  It will drive them nuts.........

That would be funny....
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Like you said, it is the sub woofer.  I live in a five unit townhome(hopefully not much longer) and the framing is all tied together. Iif someone slams their front door I can feel it.   Two kids next door and I swear I'm going to be playing Wackamole one of these days.   If you can't get them to kill the sub when you are sleeping (or trying to), you are screwed. That's why I'm looking for a single family house.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:41:55 PM EDT
[#41]

You will lose 4" to 6" of floor space due to the false wall

Not if you stagger the studs.  I've done it before with only an extra 1/2" of wasted space.  I'll never understand why so many people assume you have to waste so much space just to have each side secured to different studs.

CalamityJane, your best bet is to try to add mass and make the space in between your places air tight.  Do a Google search for "home studio" and "soundproofing" and you'll find thousands of articles that talk about this subject.  You'll find much more information on this topic than you will find here.z
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#42]
I used the following technique for the office in my house
www.asc-soundproof.com/wd-howitworks.htm
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:43:15 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
to really block sound waves, you need dense mass.

foamish stuff won't do it.

if you could fill the wall with lead, it'd work, but that's not feasible.

maybe make an ammo fort on that wall?

No, you need dead air or even better yet, a vacuum.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
 There are many sites on the net, but they all are the sponsors of their own product so I know that I probably cannot trust them.  

CJ

I know but I just do not know I can trust vendors on their own product.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:44:58 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:47:39 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I used the following technique for the office in my house
www.asc-soundproof.com/wd-howitworks.htm

Did it work?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:51:34 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Like you said, it is the sub woofer.  I live in a five unit townhome(hopefully not much longer) and the framing is all tied together. Iif someone slams their front door I can feel it.   Two kids next door and I swear I'm going to be playing Wackamole one of these days.   If you can't get them to kill the sub when you are sleeping (or trying to), you are screwed. That's why I'm looking for a single family house.

She isnt screwed... Its called "disturbing the peace" as was said earlier... Sh can call the cops and they will come and handle it. After enough calls they will start writing citations to them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:52:31 PM EDT
[#48]
I just took over a contract for soundproofing to DCID standards, but I don't think you want to go that far.  I'd suggest maybe testing your walls to see if there is insulaiton between.  Pull off an electrical outlet cover and maybe slice some of the drywall away around it.  Possibly go in there with a borescope and look around, but that shouldn't be necessary..  If not spray some insulation in there.  I'm presuming that you rent, so do it in a way that won't be overtly noticable when you move out.  That is to say, be careful where and how you put holes in your wall.

That should dampen the sound pretty well.

We have all of the answers.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:54:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Can anyone translate these numbers  
http://www.acoustiblok.com/images/staggered-stud.jpg
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

You will lose 4" to 6" of floor space due to the false wall but it will be quieter.  If you share a common attic or basement, you may need to remedy that, too.

This would be my first advice, just don't get caught without permission from your landlord.  You might view it as a tennant improvement, but he/she may not.  If you're doing it on a budget do it the way I suggested previously.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top