Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:29:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#3]
some are good, some flat out suck
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:59:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The only real microbrews are from Oregon.

Terminal Gravity rules all.

But Anderson Valley Brewing Company wins all the awards.....and they are in Booneville, Komifornia.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This one tastes like it was scraped from the bottom of a birdcage. "Snake Dog"

i31.photobucket.com/albums/c351/geezhound/100_0299.jpg

You're drinking Flying Dog.  What do you expect?  

Coor is piss, microbrews on the whole are far superior to macro (Haven't yet found a beer worse than the swill put out by the major brewers, Anheuser, Miller and Coors), but Flying Dog is decidedly subpar for the price.  

However, to reiterate what many posters have said: If you actually like the taste of Coors, you probably won't like real beer.  

Try some Pilsner Urquell, Staropramen or (easier to find) Saranac Adirondack Amber or Fat Tire Amber.  These should have little enough flavor that you won't be scared off.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:02:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But Anderson Valley Brewing Company wins all the awards.....and they are in Booneville, Komifornia.

"Bareback Mountain" won 4 golden globes - doesnt mean it deserved them
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:07:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Coors may be nasty to you guys, but CoorsLab still rocks.  (free beer is free beer!)
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:07:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Having lived in Oregon and had 99% of the micros made in Portland and Bend...AVBC blows them away. Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout is the best beer in the world....bar none!

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:18:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i wouldn't exactly call coors beer.

Hell, you can hardly call it water!

Mmmmmmm. Betty Belligerent Brown... OG 1.080----FG 1.005 78 IBU's.......

Coors ,Made with pure Rocky Mountian....................................goat piss
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:20:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Not that it's a great dark beer, but it is easy on the pallet to make a change, try Michelob's Amber Bock, then try something like Saranac India Pale Ale or Bass.  Becks or Heineken dark are also not that hard on the taste buds if you want to try some darker beers.  Changing from the American stuff to a more traditional European style beer is an aquired taste.  I changed after I went to Germany and England.  Now I prefer the ales and darker lagers.  Find a bar that has a large selection of taps, and ask for a sample before you order a whole glass.  if you find one that you like try a full glass, then move on to another flavor to find a couple more.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:28:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been to 3 restaurants in the Buffalo area that have an on site brewery
the worst of their beer is better than coors and bud
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:46:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:53:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
People drink this kind of shit to be trendy, cuz there's no way in hell you could actually enjoy the taste of this garbage.

Dead Guy ALe - shitty
Blue Moon - shitty
Pete's Wicked Red - shitty

These are just the ones I've tried this weekend. NOT IMPRESSED!!!!!!

Ok you are wrong, Blue Moon is not a Micro Brew.

You are used to watered down American macrobrews.

The average American Beer Drinker is used to Watery Beer.

Anything other than what they are used to and they call it crap.

Blue Moon is an unfilter Wheat Ale, which is very refreshing and tasty.

I like Beer with Flavor.

And to further point out the irony to the Coors-drinker (not that I have anything against Pete Coors, defender of the 2nd amendment), but Blue Moon is a Coors brand!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:59:07 PM EDT
[#14]
The one in the foreground RAWKS!   (The minikeg is for Father-inlaw)

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:02:21 PM EDT
[#15]
http://www.unibroue.com/english.cfm

Maudite and Fin du Monde FTW.

Drank @ 45-50 degrees out of brandy sniffer..
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

tinypic.com/ipoxfn.jpg

That stuff is like an orgasm in a bottle.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:49:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Come to Pensylvania and have some Troegs (Harrisburg) or Stoudts (Adamstown) Both make the best stuff. I was forced to drink Miller Lite last week because it was all there was, and was sick the entire next day. If you are going to drink beer, don't drink some fizzy yellow swill. Drink something that tastes good and knocks you on your ass, or what is the point? Dogfish head is also great. Especially the Immort Ale. Have three of those and you toes will get warm.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:34:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

tinypic.com/ipoxfn.jpg

the frambois(raspberry) is good, but i like the kriek(cherry) is my favorite.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:44:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Some of the best micro-micro-brews come from my buddy's garage.    He even makes mead.  MEAD!

Good enough that he (and his cohort) won a homebrewing festival best of show award last year and a local microbrewery (Oggi's) asked them to oversee a 350 gallon brewing of their recipe.  Buddy retains the recipe.

Mmmmm.  Plummer's Smoked Porter....

EDIT: I cried the day I found out that the Bandersnatch (a microbrewery/restraunt) in Tempe, AZ went out of business.  I will forever lament that I've only had their Milk Stout but twice in my life.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:59:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Nimbus No Evil Strong Ale is one of the best beers I've ever had. Brewed locally in Tucson, AZ at 8% ABV. Deeeeeeericious.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:04:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Drink something decent.  Get in a car, drive to Lawrence Kansas, go to the Free State Brewery, order something nice from the menu, and buy yourself a Wheat State Golden or a nice Oatmeal Stout.

Next, go to Kansas City, to the Boulevard Brewing Company, and do roughly the same.

Jim
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:13:40 AM EDT
[#22]
I can't drink anything with a name like Mock Turtle Blue Lizard Wheat Pale Bock Amber Snake Nano-Broo Hootchie Kooo.  Or with "art" on the label.  Most of that stuff is just Starbucks beer, beer made for dumb people with too much money to drink for the sake of being seen drinking it.  I could overlook some of that if these micro-starbucks made it taste like beer, too.  I don't want raspberry, blueberry, coffee, jalapeno, or maple syrup beer.  Even when it's good.  Chimay tastes good, but it doesn't taste like beer, not to me.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:57:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:32:18 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
People drink this kind of shit to be trendy, cuz there's no way in hell you could actually enjoy the taste of this garbage.

Dead Guy ALe - shitty
Blue Moon - shitty

I drink Dead Guy Ale and Blue Moon, I like them both.  Your tastebuds have been conditioned to the beverage called light beer the stuff that us beer drinkers call piss in a bottle.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:36:45 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
tastes like crap?

laughable coming from a coors drinker

+100,000,000.00
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:38:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Coors is not beer. I don't know what it is, but I do know it isn't beer.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:41:26 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

tinypic.com/ipoxfn.jpg

My wife drinks that stuff, it is good, but too sweet for me!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:49:33 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:53:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Beer is about what goes into it.  American swill is brewed from corn.

For something really different, try this.

www.dogfish.com/brewings/Year_Round_Beers/Midas_Touch_Golden_Elixir/1/index.htm
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:00:03 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I've tried quite a few.  They usually remind me of the big brand named beers - nothing really special.

That is, until I went to Fredricksburg, TX.  I went to a beer garten on Main St.   There, I had one of the best beers I've ever tasted.

If you can't find a beer of their's you like then you've probably endured a tongue scalding accident sometime during your life.        

I touched my tongue to her pie. It tingled, in a funny "This isnt quite right" sort of way.
Never have tasted things right since then.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:24:13 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I can't drink anything with a name like Mock Turtle Blue Lizard Wheat Pale Bock Amber Snake Nano-Broo Hootchie Kooo.  Or with "art" on the label.  Most of that stuff is just Starbucks beer, beer made for dumb people with too much money to drink for the sake of being seen drinking it.  I could overlook some of that if these micro-starbucks made it taste like beer, too.  I don't want raspberry, blueberry, coffee, jalapeno, or maple syrup beer.  Even when it's good.  Chimay tastes good, but it doesn't taste like beer, not to me.  

So you don't like Beer, it's ok, we won't think any less of you.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:32:00 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

the problem with your statement is that budweiser and miller dont actually taste like beer.  brewing never really recovered from prohibition, then when the second world war came around, who was drinking beer?  women, and lots of them, so the breweries changed their brews to be lighter and less flavorful to appeal to women.  they havent changed.  so yes you enjoy "bitch drinks"
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:42:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Coors pulled in $141 million last year. I guess I'm the ONLY one drinking it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:44:11 AM EDT
[#34]
and people still buy weapons made by vulcan arms and bobcat weapons, doesnt make them smart
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:53:13 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
and people still buy weapons made by vulcan arms and bobcat weapons, doesnt make them smart

You mean my Vulcan Arms MP5K clone from JoeKen wasn't a wise investment?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:05:02 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I'm always a sucker for a snappy label, and "Old Scratch" got me good.

Microbrews always taste like someone filtered them through a sandbag full of manure. YUCK!!!

I'm stickin' to Coors from now on.

i31.photobucket.com/albums/c351/geezhound/100_0298.jpg

Coors? yeah we can tell you like quality beer!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:06:26 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Dead Guy ALe - shitty
Blue Moon - shitty

dude you drink COORS. you wouldn't know a real beer if it bit you on the ass.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:09:54 AM EDT
[#38]
One of the local microbrew/restraunt chains (duClaw, if you're from the MD area) always has a few bottles of commercial beer in the fridge.  I cant figure out why people would come and pay $3.50 or whatever for a bottle of Miller Lite when the microbrew offering is just as good, and only $1.75 a pint during happy hour.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:15:42 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dead Guy ALe - shitty
Blue Moon - shitty

dude you drink COORS. you wouldn't know a real beer if it bit you on the ass.

Thank you, I will. And you sir, may continue drinking the sewage from the cesspool of your choosing as well.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:19:38 AM EDT
[#40]
I've never tasted that particular microbrew, but I've tasted my share of shitty ones.  The most memorable was a good tasting one made and consumed at a brew pub in Winthrop WA.  Damn near killed my wife and I.  We only shared one pitcher, but later we both puked and were laid up with severe headaches.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:20:42 AM EDT
[#41]
No votes for Bell's (Kalamazoo, MI)?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:28:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Well we have had the Starbucks Idea floated here, and I agree that many will drink swill to be trendy.
I started brewing my own to continue a family tradition. Do I make great beer? Maybe, maybe not, but it is much better then the crap you buy at the grocery store.
I also have tasted some crappy microbrews, The trick is to taste many and find one you like. I can brew a beer that tastes like Coors, Bud, or Miller. The main grains in the big American beers are corn and rice. European Beer has a primary grain of barley, different grains have different taste.
Don't trash all because of a few bad ones.
And by all means, DRINK UP it's beer and Ben Franklin is quoted saying something like " Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:31:46 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Never been to Alaska huh?
~Dg84
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:45:04 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

And Hwy 128 is one of the best road racing Hwys in the country! Mendocino Brew in Hopland on one end, Anderson Valley Brewing in the middle and westward into the sunset on the PCH!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:47:19 AM EDT
[#45]
SOME microbrews are good.

Most aren't.

ALL budweiser/busch/coors/miller varieties suck.
Long live Guinness!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:18:52 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Having lived in Oregon and had 99% of the micros made in Portland and Bend...AVBC blows them away. Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout is the best beer in the world....bar none!

+1 it has become my new favorite.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:20:45 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Long live Guinness!

guinness is the coors lite of stouts, hardly even deserving of the name Stout
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#48]
How in the hell can you say bud is beer and coors sucks there damn near the same .
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:33:40 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Long live Guinness!

guinness is the coors lite of stouts, hardly even deserving of the name Stout

Very true, but it the best I can get locally.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:43:37 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Well we have had the Starbucks Idea floated here, and I agree that many will drink swill to be trendy.
I started brewing my own to continue a family tradition. Do I make great beer? Maybe, maybe not, but it is much better then the crap you buy at the grocery store.
I also have tasted some crappy microbrews, The trick is to taste many and find one you like. I can brew a beer that tastes like Coors, Bud, or Miller. The main grains in the big American beers are corn and rice. European Beer has a primary grain of barley, different grains have different taste.
Don't trash all because of a few bad ones.
And by all means, DRINK UP it's beer and Ben Franklin is quoted saying something like " Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"

+1 for home brewing.  My buddies and I made several batches after college and they were all better than most micros from the store (of course we were biased).  We all seem to be too busy now, but we've been talking about making a batch or two a year again.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top