Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/12/2006 1:19:51 PM EDT
I have a glock 19 that will discharge itself if left in the sun too long.  Weird thing, really.

Was at the range and the G19 is loaded and striker is ready to release when the trigger is pulled.  However, sitting in the sun for about 30 minutes while I'm sighting in a deer rifle, the thing fires itself while it is lying on its side on a box I use to put my shooting stuff on.  The gun fired and started spinning around and fell to the ground.  I have no idea why it went off by itself.

Weird... anyone ever hear of this before?

lawdog
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:22:39 PM EDT
[#1]
No. You are saying that somehow all of the internal safeties were defeated by a hot sun, causing the gun to go off? I don't buy it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:22:48 PM EDT
[#2]

That would be a new one, left my G19C in a hot truck all day in a Texas sun. Nothing happen
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#3]
WTF, that would suck...

the glocks fatal flaw Sun

I did see a glock melt once, someone even posted a pic
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:24:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe I should leave my AR15 out in the sun for 30 minutes.

Dude, thats the weirdest thing I read here today!  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#6]
....well if its made of plastic....

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Tell the truth, you lit the fuse didn't you?

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:28:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=1729&iGalleryUnq=419&iImageUnq=42447

If I had a dollar for everytime I saw that.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:28:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:28:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Im having trouble beliving it
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:29:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:29:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
No. You are saying that somehow all of the internal safeties were defeated by a hot sun, causing the gun to go off? I don't buy it.

No, he's saying that his Glock cooked off a few rounds from sitting in the sun too long.

That, or Casper did it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:29:24 PM EDT
[#13]
either a round cooked off somehow or hang fire
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#14]
So then the anti's were right and guns really do shoot at random? Maybe it smelled children and wanted to kill. Were there any children nearby?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:34:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
So then the anti's were right and guns really do shoot at random? Maybe it smelled children and wanted to kill. Were there any children nearby?

Machine Gun Alito, at it again..........
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:35:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I gotta call BS on this one,

The striker only ready to release after the trigger is pulled,
Before that it is hooked on the trigger, but not under any real tension.

Maybe the sun heated the firearm up to the point where the powder 'cooked off'
Was the sun unusally close (and very large), Do you recall if the surounding trees were bursting into flames too? This would be a good indicator.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:42:39 PM EDT
[#18]
removed per coc
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:43:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=1729&iGalleryUnq=419&iImageUnq=42447

If I had a dollar for everytime I saw that.

yes but it is funny everytime!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:45:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
edited ~ 82ndAbn

If that rhino squeezed a little harder, he could probably hit the target paper at 50 yards.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:46:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
edited ~ 82ndAbn

If that rhino squeezed a little harder, he could probably hit the target paper at 50 yards.

more thrust per sqeeze
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:46:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Gotta call BS. No tension on the striker until you start pulling the trigger. And until you pull the trigger, not only is the striker unloaded, but the firing pin block is engaged.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:48:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
No, he's saying that his Glock cooked off a few rounds from sitting in the sun too long.

That, or Casper did it.

Thats not how I read it, but whatever. A round is not going to cook off from simply sitting in the hot sun. A round sitting in a very hot chamber , yes, THAT can cook off. And I mean a HOT chamber,as on a 50 cal thats been used  a LOT on a qual line. Not from sitting in the sun on a  bench.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:50:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I find myself agreeing with Airwolf.

If it is true though, that gun needs an exorcism.  Possibly the Gun range.  Was it built on an indian burial ground?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:54:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#27]
As has been said by others in this thread...

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:59:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Gotta call BS. No tension on the striker until you start pulling the trigger. And until you pull the trigger, not only is the striker unloaded, but the firing pin block is engaged.

i thought there was some but not full tension on the striker when "cocked" and the final pull fully loaded it? been awhile since i had my glock.

Just enough to engage the sear thingie. That's why glocks have the funky trigger pull.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:04:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:04:32 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i thought there was some but not full tension on the striker when "cocked" and the final pull fully loaded it? been awhile since i had my glock.

Dude, come on. All 3 of the safeties would have to fail at the same time for what he described to actually happen.

www.glock.com/_safe_action_.htm

Trigger Safety

The trigger safety is a mechanical safety which is incorporated into the trigger in the form of a lever. In the untouched state the trigger safety blocks the trigger from being moved backward. If the weapon is dropped or if the trigger is subjected to an off-center, lateral pressure, it is still impossible for the gun to fire.

This safety can only be released by the trigger being pulled by the trigger finger. It automatically re-engages after the trigger is released.

This situation offers maximum possible firing readiness combined with maximum safety for the user.

Firing Pin Safety

In the secured position the firing pin safety mechanically prevents the firing pin from moving forward. A spring-loaded pin projects into the firing pin cut-out and blocks it.

As the trigger is pulled towards the rear, an extension on the trigger bar pushes the firing pin safety up and opens the firing pin channel.

This safety can only be released by the trigger being pulled to the rear.

This situation offers maximum possible firing readiness combined with

Drop Safety

In the secured position the firing pin pushes the trigger bar onto the safety ramp under the influence of the firing pin spring.

There is no possibility in this position of the firing pin being released.

This drop safety can only be released by the trigger being pulled to the rear.

This situation offers maximum possible firing readiness combined with maximum safety for the user.

The only way for a Glock 19 to fire is for someone to pull the triger (unless all 3 mechanical safties fail simultaneously.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Doesn't everyone know lawdog posts BS stuff all the time, use the search function
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:14:18 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
a failure could cause the striker to fall i suppose. why was a hot gun sitting on the firing line?

You'd have to have three failures. The striker safety plunger would have had to been disabled or broken and then the cruciform or the striker would have to be out of spec, ie modified, in order for the striker to be able to move. Oh and then you'd need the striker to magically move rearward to get enough momentum going somehow.

IOW, BS.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#33]
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=425173

My shrink diagnosed me today (finally!) with bi-polar disorder type 2. It runs in the family but I never thought of myself as "strange". Quite ordinary except for perhaps being a bit "eccentric".

Doc has prescribed Lamictal for the condition. So.... who here has bi-polar type II (there has to be some people here surely) who have the disorder and what can I expect in regard to treatment? Anyone take Lamictal for other medical conditions (epilepsy, etc.)? What side effects, if any, have you experienced or what can you expect???

Come-on, let me here from ya'.

Lawdog

Need to up those meds.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:17:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Woah, talk about severe safety violations.  I think a call to the manufacturer is a moral responsiblity.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:22:03 PM EDT
[#35]
I agree with all the flag raisers......oh and who ever mentioned the increase in meds. Next thing you're going to do is tell us that having a detachable "clip" and pistol grip makes our AR's more deadly

BS
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:24:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:31:09 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm not even buying a round cook off. There's no way in hell it could get hot enough in the sun. Shit, I've heard stories of ammo cases surviving fires without a round discharging. That glock would have to get HOT, I mean REALLY HOT. Like, you couldn't touch it hot. Like, it would require welding gloves to handle it hot. Texas is hot, but it ain't that damn hot. Sorry.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:35:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Whats with all the BS comments yawl? Didnt you even think to consider there could be supernatural forces at work? Duh?!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:37:33 PM EDT
[#39]
cook off sounds like...
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#40]
I have yet to have that problem with my XD.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:41:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Same thing happened to me when I left it out in the sun at a gas station car wash. It started shooting homeless people while it was spinning. Then it winged a pump and blew the place up. The only reason I survived is because I and my car were wet from the car wash... but the blast wave of heat dried me and the car instantly... even melted off a few bugs on the grill. Funniest thing.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:46:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Uhh yeah. I suppose maybe a cook-off is possible... if you just fired half a case of ammo through it as fast as possible. And what was it doing loaded on a bench, anyways? Every range I've ever been to, the only loaded gun should be the one you're shooting, and maybe your carry gun in a holster on your body.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:48:14 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Same thing happened to me when I left it out in the sun at a gas station car wash. It started shooting homeless people while it was spinning. Then it winged a pump and blew the place up. The only reason I survived is because I and my car were wet from the car wash... but the blast wave of heat dried me and the car instantly... even melted off a few bugs on the grill. Funniest thing.

Wait a second, are you saying you went to a car wash, and DIDN'T draw down?!? What's this site coming to?

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:48:21 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Must have been a .45 then. If it was the 9mm model the thrust generated from the boom frequency would have generated enough level surge to blow out the whole fandango ten times over. Gald your ok but you might consider 9mm for self defense
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:48:35 PM EDT
[#45]
It's total BS. A handgun fired with nothing holding it wouldn't just spin around in place. It would go flying backwards.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#46]
You gonna reply lawdog, or are you just gonna sit back and enjoy the results of a half-assed troll post?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:49:37 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I'm not even buying a round cook off. There's no way in hell it could get hot enough in the sun. Shit, I've heard stories of ammo cases surviving fires without a round discharging. That glock would have to get HOT, I mean REALLY HOT. Like, you couldn't touch it hot. Like, it would require welding gloves to handle it hot. Texas is hot, but it ain't that damn hot. Sorry.

In January no less.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:50:33 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Doesn't everyone know lawdog posts BS stuff all the time, use the search function

Yes, you are right.  A lot of threads just like this in lawdog's name, and he even winks or smiles when called on it.  He really likes gullible people.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:51:56 PM EDT
[#49]
I live in PHOENIX, AZ, and go shooting in the desert all the time in summer, where temps of 120 in the direct sun are not just known, they are normal.  

My Kimber (read:  metal, not plastic) has gotton so hot in the sun you literally - LITERALLY - could not touch it with your bare hands.  I have never once had a cooker.  

I would have to put thousands of rounds through the barrel in a matter of minutes to have a cooker, and even that is only a maybe.  

If you're telling the truth, you had a hangfire - which you would have known about by that funny *click* before you set the weapon down.  But why was it loaded on the line if you were shooting another?  

Sorry man, but your story makes no sense what-so-ever.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Even if this story were true (it's not, of course), it is not good practice to leave a chambered firearm sitting on the bench like that.  You should always leave the action open when you leave a gun sitting out in the open.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top