Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2006 3:48:18 PM EDT
My shrink diagnosed me today (finally!) with bi-polar disorder type 2.  It runs in the family but I never thought of myself as "strange".  Quite ordinary except for perhaps being a bit "eccentric".

Doc has prescribed Lamictal for the condition.  So.... who here has bi-polar type II (there has to be some people here surely) who have the disorder and what can I expect in regard to treatment?  Anyone take Lamictal for other medical conditions (epilepsy, etc.)?  What side effects, if any, have you experienced or what can you expect???

Come-on, let me here from ya'.

Lawdog
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:56:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Lamictal originally came on the market to treat epilepsy for which it is very effective.  It is also very effective for bipolar disorder.  In most people, it has very few, if any, side effects.  I've used it in countless patients for the last 8+ years to treat a variety of disorders.  In the first 3 months be on the lookout for a drug rash as the allergy rate is high.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#2]
That explains some of your posts.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#3]
What is bipolar again?  Sometimes you're happy, sometimes you're sad?

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:59:35 PM EDT
[#4]
isn't there a "nut job" question on the 4473?

or is it just related to psychiatric ward admittance?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:00:37 PM EDT
[#5]
so you are mental...no guns for you
this is good though cause you can be an asshole and blame it on the condition!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:04:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
isn't there a "nut job" question on the 4473?

or is it just related to psychiatric ward admittance?

IIRC it's only a concern if you've been found to be mentally "defective" by a court or something.

I'm assuming they will change that in a few years (when enough people have been diagnoses with a "mild disorder") to cut a huge portion of the population out from being eligible to own firearms.

And they'll just say, "But no one wants crazy people to have guns...do they".
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:07:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Could be fun!

J/K, Lawdog!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

It effects can be as minor as insomnia. There was story that came out in the Seattle media about a King Cty Deputy who was forced out of her job when it was discovered she was bipolar, with her only issue being insomnia.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:12:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It effects can be as minor as insomnia. There was story that came out in the Seattle media about a King Cty Deputy who was forced out of her job when it was discovered she was bipolar, with her only issue being insomnia.

Wow...that's retarded.  How did we ever get past the "spearing wooly mammoths" stage with all these problems?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:44:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
My shrink diagnosed me today (finally!) with bi-polar disorder type 2.  It runs in the family but I never thought of myself as "strange".  Quite ordinary except for perhaps being a bit "eccentric".

Doc has prescribed Lamictal for the condition.  So.... who here has bi-polar type II (there has to be some people here surely) who have the disorder and what can I expect in regard to treatment?  Anyone take Lamictal for other medical conditions (epilepsy, etc.)?  What side effects, if any, have you experienced or what can you expect???

Come-on, let me here from ya'.

Lawdog

Sometimes you feel like a nut....
sometimes you don't
Almond Joy's Got Nuts...
Mounds Don't...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:45:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I was told I was BP a few years ago, and they gave me drugs. After 2 weeks I threw them away, and I think im much better off by not getting addicted to them..... I beat it on my own...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I was told I was BP a few years ago, and they gave me drugs. After 2 weeks I threw them away, and I think im much better off by not getting addicted to them..... I beat it on my own...

\

when all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

similarly, when you are a doctor trying to fix the most complicated piece of machinery that ever existed, and the only tool at hand is focking prozac, you prescribe it whether the patient really needs it or not.

GET TEN "second" OPINIONS BEFORE YOU TAKE THAT SHIT

those mental drugs are the most overprescribed medications in history.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Bipolar Disorder and Attention Defficite Disorder are the too wide brushes being used to get people on drugs that make them more docile and controllable.

IMO, they are crap designed to sell pills.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:45:39 AM EDT
[#15]
I was prescribed Lamictal a year ago for BP-II. I haven't experienced any side-effects from it at all. However, after stabilizing the dosage (it takes a while to get to the proper dosage) I was getting the alleged BP symptoms back. So it is now like I am on no medication at all.

Looking into it further with my therapist, it appears that it may be a "personality disorder" which is a form of PTSD from childhood. Drugs don't work for that, just cognitive and other forms of therapy. I like that choice better.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:59:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I was prescribed Lamictal a year ago for BP-II. I haven't experienced any side-effects from it at all. However, after stabilizing the dosage (it takes a while to get to the proper dosage) I was getting the alleged BP symptoms back. So it is now like I am on no medication at all.

Looking into it further with my therapist, it appears that it may be a "personality disorder" which is a form of PTSD from childhood. Drugs don't work for that, just cognitive and other forms of therapy. I like that choice better.

Did your kitty chase you around the house with an AK-47?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top