Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/6/2006 11:19:26 AM EDT
Poll incoming!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:20:08 AM EDT
[#1]
IBTP

I voted everyone, but I've got to admit that I get a little pissed when some self-absorbed broad walks through without so much as a nod, let alone a "thank you".  

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:20:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
IBTP

Damn you to Hell!!!!

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:21:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Just be sure not to hold the door for 'modern women.' (AKA Spoiled young bitches) They can do it themselves, thank you very much.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:22:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Just be sure not to hold the door for 'modern women.' (AKA Spoiled young bitches) They can do it themselves, thank you very much.

Luckily I've never run into one of them.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:22:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Be prepared to say, 'I'm not holding the door because you are a woman, I'm holding the door because of your age' line.  Some women really take offense if you hold the door open for them.  The look on their face is priceless when you properly deliver the above line.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:23:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Everyone.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:24:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I was brought up holding doors for women, kids and the elderly.  It's just good manners.

I was once holding the door for a "lady" and she commented that she was perfectly able to get the door for herself and that I didn't need to do it.  I replied, "Ma'am, my mother told me to do this and I'll not go against her wishes." She looked at me like I had 2 heads and went in anyway.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:25:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My good manners prevent me from doing that.

Hell, I hold a door open for a guy if he's exiting just after me.  Just common courtesy.

Believe me. I know where you're coming from. I do the same, and my manners demand it.

Just sucks that I have to get the evil eye from the majority of the 'liberated' young female crowd around here.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:25:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:26:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I go a little extra (wait, walk faster to the door, etc) to hold the door open for women/kids. For guys, if they are exiting/entering near me i'll hold the door.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:27:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Im an ass but i don't hold the door if 50 people are walking behind me. Just one or two.

The next asshole trying to be nice should offer to hold the door, allow you to move on, and this process should continue until each bastard is inside the establishment.

Too many times i've been stuck holding the door for everyone and thier grandmother + cousins with no one being as generous as the original gesture of me opening the door for them.

So i just quit. I open the door for my woman and the rest can kiss off.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:29:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
 Just common courtesy.

There you have it!!!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:29:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell, I hold a door open for a guy if he's exiting just after me.  Just common courtesy.

I'll do that, but I give more time for women (especially mothers with kids) and the elderly  or disabled coming in or out of the door than I would to an able bodied male the same distance away - and I mean 'go out of my way and wait' time for some of them.

For able bodied men, I figure that if they're not within a few seconds of the door (and not carrying something), they can open it themselves, and then it becomes their turn as men to old the door open for people coming in or out when they're there.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:31:57 AM EDT
[#15]
I hold the door open for everyone if they happen to be exiting or entering at the same time as me.  I just think that it is good manners, and I don't really care if anyone gets upset at me.  It is nice when people will give you a simple "thank you" as they go through.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:39:50 AM EDT
[#16]
If anyone tries to take advantage of me by walking into a door that I opened I immediately draw down on them.  One time my gun misfired and I had to crush some little kids skull with the door jamb.

I usually try to pull the door shut behind me, too, just to make sure someone doesn't try to grab it before it finishes closing.

Of course I hold the door open for other people!  I find it amazing that common courtesy is becoming an oddity...  People are shocked if you are polite to them.  It is almost like some people are offended.  They roll their eyes, as if to say (Usually into a cell phone) "Someone is trying to be polite to me.  Jeez, now I have to take time out of my important schedule to nod my head three inches to acknowledge them...  How rude to make me be the recipient of a polite gesture."
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Everyone, unless it's a family I'll hold it open for one person, then it's their job to hold it open for the next person. If it's a family I'll hold it open for all of them if I'm not standing in a place that bottlenecks passage through the door.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:45:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
IBTP

I voted everyone, but I've got to admit that I get a little pissed when some self-absorbed broad walks through without so much as a nod, let alone a "thank you".  

I hold the door for everyone except Lurch.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:47:02 AM EDT
[#19]
I hold doors for anyone coming behind me.

I open door for women and the elderly.

Reactions range from very grateful to zero.

Many years ago, I had one bitch look at me with her nose up and say, "I'm quite capable of opening my own door.", to which my response was, "Fine, bitch!" followed by the door being slammed in her face.

Feminist assholes!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:49:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I hold doors for anyone coming behind me.

I open door for women and the elderly.

Reactions range from very grateful to zero.

Many years ago, I had one bitch look at me with her nose up and say, "I'm quite capable of opening my own door.", to which my response was, "Fine, bitch!" followed by the door being slammed in her face.

Feminist assholes!

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:49:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Holding Doors open for OLD PEOPLE is a waste of time. I hold the door for everyone, I can not tell you the last time I received a thank you for some old crusty butts after holding the door open for them.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:49:49 AM EDT
[#22]
I hold doors open for everyone, and am appreciative and smile and say thank you to anyone who holds a door for me.

but here's my question...What's the "distance factor" for holding open a door?  I mean, if someone is 20 feet behind you, do you hold the door open?

what's the rule of thumb?

right behind you?
5 feet behind you?
10 feet behind you?

Sometimes if they're 20 feet back and taking their sweet time, and they know I'm holding the door for them, then I let it swing back.  TAKE THAT!

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:50:27 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

You forgot 'and they're let you know about it either verbally or with The Look.'  I've been the recipient of both.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:53:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Haven't seen too many polls this one-sided.  At least one person here's an inconsiderate assclown
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:54:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Awesome!  I knew I was in good company here.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:55:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Everyone except people wearing Palestine scarf and other fuckturds.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Had to train my girlfriend.  Took her a couple months of me slapping her hand or yelling at her before she finnaly stopped trying to open doors for herself.

Now she stands at the door and waits for me to open it.  Makes me happy.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I hold doors open for everyone, and am appreciative and smile and say thank you to anyone who holds a door for me.

but here's my question...What's the "distance factor" for holding open a door?  I mean, if someone is 20 feet behind you, do you hold the door open?

right behind you?
5 feet behind you?
10 feet behind you?

Sometimes if they're 20 feet back and taking their sweet time, and they know I'm holding the door for them, then I let it swing back.  TAKE THAT!

I wonder that myself..    

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:58:53 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

right behind you?
5 feet behind you?
10 feet behind you?

I wonder that myself..    

depends on the age / sex / health of the person you'd be holding the door open for, and if they're carrying anything that would make it difficult to open the door.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:00:31 PM EDT
[#30]
If they're close enough to the door, I pretty much open them for everyone. If I see an elderly or disabled person coming towards the door, I'll wait around longer. And I don't get the door for kids. They smell and they're rude.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:01:23 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Holding Doors open for OLD PEOPLE is a waste of time. I hold the door for everyone, I can not tell you the last time I received a thank you for some old crusty butts after holding the door open for them.

I'm not holding the door open for them (or their reaction), but for me.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:02:47 PM EDT
[#32]
We must have a bunch of liars!  No one ever holds the door for me!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here. In the South, many people still recognize good manners.

Edit: Mrs gorilla thinks it's hilarious that I still follow the force of habit and hold the door for people, even though it's no real secret that I despise people in general and don't give a shit about them.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
IBTP

+ friggin 1 !!!!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:16:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Re: Distance...I'll go to 20 feet, with extra for the elderly or heavily-laden.

I'm almost never ignored...it may be a muffled, "Thanks" but there's almost always something.

I browbeat my wife when we were dating to the point she doesn't even go for the car door handle anymore.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:17:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:20:47 PM EDT
[#37]
I voted everyone.

As an extension to that, I have a personal rule that no matter what kind of a mood I'm in, I reserve a smile for children and senior citizens.

Everyone else gets a scowl. (j/k about that).

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:21:10 PM EDT
[#38]
When a woman does occasionally say something negative, I reply, "Well, if I didn't hold this door somehow my Dad would find out about it.  Even though he's 86 he'd come over and whip my butt.  I'm more scared of him than I am you."
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Women and children, with the occasional really old man.

I might give a little push start for a guy, but not always.

A thank you runs about 50/50
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:30:13 PM EDT
[#40]
I hate when men try to hold the door open for me and I'm more than a split second behind them.

I'll usually just stop and look at them.

It's even worse if they try to get you to go through ahead of them WHILE they hold the door open.
Damn faggots.

For women/kids/geezers, I'll hold the door but usually walk through ahead of them.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:36:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Being from the "South” it is just considered proper to open and hold them for people. When my son was in the 4th grade, his teacher told him he did not have to say “Yes mam” and “No mam”. I went and told his teacher, “Yes mam”, he does have to say Yes mam
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:40:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Dad brought me up to be a gentleman.

Life is doing its best to make me a hermit!

I still hold the door for anyone within a few-foot radius of the door. I've gotten dirty looks from women and once, a dirty look and no thank-you from a handicapped woman I jumped out of line to help with a door.

But I will still do it. I personally believe there is a "social contract" most decent people adhere to subconsciously. Things like not standing too close (varies on culture, I know), blowing smoke at someone, holding doors open, returning lost wallets, etc.

What can I say, I'm an optimist.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:41:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:41:33 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

right behind you?
5 feet behind you?
10 feet behind you?

LOL I've wondered the same thing. What is the "statute of limitations" on courtesy?  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:45:24 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Being from the "South” it is just considered proper to open and hold them for people. When my son was in the 4th grade, his teacher told him he did not have to say “Yes mam” and “No mam”. I went and told his teacher, “Yes mam”, he does have to say Yes mam

+1  Polite won't kill you but being an asshole just might one day.

When will you Southern guys get it through your heads, people not from a "big city" (you have them in the South, too) in the North are just as nice as you Southern guys.

No, we weren't taught to call a woman, "Ma'am" even if she's spitting in your face and calling you names, but that's OK.  

"being from the South"... GET REAL! Courtesy is everywhere you make it!

Sorry, rant off. I have been cut off in my truck and treated just as poorly in the South as I have in the North.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:50:39 PM EDT
[#46]

I hold the door open for everybody. The other day I was at a parts place and a yound guy came in with a knock out babe of a girlfriend walking behind him. Not only did he not open the door for her, he let the door snap back at her like she wasn't there. Man.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:51:54 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
 I hold the door open for everybody. The other day I was at a parts place and a yound guy came in with a knock out babe of a girlfriend walking behind him. Not only did he not open the door for her, he let the door snap back at her like she wasn't there. Man.

He was letting her know who's boss
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Women, LITTLE children, elderly and disabled. I find some "women" don't like me holding the door for them nor do they say thank you. Sad.

ETA: One hing I won't do is hold the door for a guy, while letting him go through the door ahead of me. Thats almost gay. Once I go through it I will hold the door open until they can grab it themselves.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:59:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:01:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Holding doors open for others is rather common place here. So much so I never gave it much thought till now.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top