Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:08:37 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Being from the "South” it is just considered proper to open and hold them for people. When my son was in the 4th grade, his teacher told him he did not have to say “Yes mam” and “No mam”. I went and told his teacher, “Yes mam”, he does have to say Yes mam

+1  Polite won't kill you but being an asshole just might one day.

When will you Southern guys get it through your heads, people not from a "big city" (you have them in the South, too) in the North are just as nice as you Southern guys.

No, we weren't taught to call a woman, "Ma'am" even if she's spitting in your face and calling you names, but that's OK.  

"being from the South"... GET REAL! Courtesy is everywhere you make it!

Sorry, rant off. I have been cut off in my truck and treated just as poorly in the South as I have in the North.

Thanks for the couteous reply.

Do you feel owned?

Sorry it was like an open door saying come in, come in.

Tj

ha, I knew when I typed it someone would call me on it.  

BUT, what I'm saying, I mean...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:12:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#3]
the bohemian types never say thank you or hold the door open for you even if they know you are behind them.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:16:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Used to. Aside from my daughters and wife.....no body. Heck with it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just be sure not to hold the door for 'modern women.' (AKA Spoiled young bitches) They can do it themselves, thank you very much.

My good manners prevent me from doing that.

Hell, I hold a door open for a guy if he's exiting just after me.  Just common courtesy.

I hold the door open for ANYONE (male or female) entering or exiting within 2-5 steps of me. The differnece is for men (sans packages or elderly) I hold the door open behind me and allow them to grab the door, where for women (& children) I'll grab the door and step aside holding it open for them to pass me.  Elderly or disabled may get a door held open longer if they are further behind me.

No Expert
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:33:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Everyone...

Little old ladies smile... women my age are about a 50/50 split: 50% give me a dirty look, like I just insulted them or I'm stalking them, 50% say thanks and maybe smile.

Kids... well... they are just kids.

Men, its usually just a nod.

Manners might be dying, but it isnt because of me.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:45:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Holding doors open for others is rather common place here. So much so I never gave it much thought till now.

Big +1
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I open and hold doors for anyone within a few feet as a matter of courtesy.  I will do whatever it takes to make sure that the elderly and handicapped get the full treatment.

When I get the attitude from a woman, I just say "you wouldn't want my mom to have to travel all the way from Texas just to slap me would you?"  For some reason that line has never failed to take the wind out of their sails.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:37:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Cute story:

Every day coming home from work I walked by these two little old ladies who had tea on their patio.  I would say "Afternoon ladies!" and they would simply go humph and stick their nose up in the air.  Then one day I was sick as a dog and didn't say "Afternoon ladies".  Next thing I know the two little old ladies had me by the arm pooring tea down my throat telling me it  would make me feel better.

Tj

Last time I read this story from you it started out, "Dear Penthouse, I never thought it would happen to me..."

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:24:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Being from the "South” it is just considered proper to open and hold them for people. When my son was in the 4th grade, his teacher told him he did not have to say “Yes mam” and “No mam”. I went and told his teacher, “Yes mam”, he does have to say Yes mam

+1  Polite won't kill you but being an asshole just might one day.

When will you Southern guys get it through your heads, people not from a "big city" (you have them in the South, too) in the North are just as nice as you Southern guys.

No, we weren't taught to call a woman, "Ma'am" even if she's spitting in your face and calling you names, but that's OK.  

"being from the South"... GET REAL! Courtesy is everywhere you make it!

Sorry, rant off. I have been cut off in my truck and treated just as poorly in the South as I have in the North.

In Memphis, it is against the Law to blow your horn on a car EXECPT to avoid a wreck, so we never hear hem except to scare you to stop a wreck.

I leaned the meaning of a "New York minute" while driving up in the POLITE north. It is the amount of time it takes the POLITE Northern Gentleman behind you to honk his horn after the light turns green....
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:43:12 PM EDT
[#12]
If I'm by myself, I'll hurry to open a door for a lady. When we are out together, I open and close my Wife's car door, and push her seat in for her. I walk my Grandma to and from her car when she comes to visit. I guess its just how I was raised.

If Im out with my Wife and kids, say to a resturaunt, I'll hold the door for my family. If there is a woman with children behind us, I'll hold the door for them as well. But, if there is a man with the group, I will hold it from inside until he gets there, then I let go regardless if he is ready to hold it or not. If he is holding a child or is alone with children its a different story.

When my kids were younger, we would always use the shopping carts shaped like cars and strollers in grocery stores. After we loaded groceries into the trunk of the car, I would always take the extra minute or two to walk the "Kid's cart" back to the front of the store. I figure women going to the grocery store have enough on their mind anyway, and I would others would have the same consideration for my Wife or Mother.  

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:46:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By Lurch

I voted everyone, but I've got to admit that I get a little pissed when some self-absorbed broad walks through without so much as a nod, let alone a "thank you".  

That about sums it up.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:53:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, around these parts.....it is commonplace for men to hold the door for other folks. In fact, if more than one guy sees the same opportunity to hold the door open for someone...it usually results in a race to the door.

And....when a fella is holding the door for HIS party to exit an establishment, and there are other groups following close behind, HE will courteously hold the door for as long as necessary (even adding a smile and a friendly "Hello")
HIS party may be waiting in the car by the time HE gets thru....but that's ok...HE will gladly join them in due time....
....with an extra 1000 manpoints added to his tally.

( Its kind of an unspoken code around here, in the Smokies)
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:27:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll usually whip the door far enough so the person following me doesn't have to push or pull the door.
If the person is elderly or disabled, I'll wait and hold the door. I had crutches at one time and it was a total pain in the butt to open a door and keeping it open while trying to jump in with my crutches. I disliked the doors with the mega-powered, turbo-piston, screw-you-elderly-and-disabled door closing systems.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:32:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I hold the door for everyone.

I had one young lady give me grief. I just cut her off by saying "Fine", stepped through the door ahead of her, closed and locked it, and went on my way.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:36:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I catch flak from the "modern, liberated women" (see: bitches) who think I'm trying to hold her down, or that I'm making a statement about her sex being the weaker of the two just by showing good manners.

Feminism is killing being a gentleman.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:47:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I generally hold the door open for women, children and the elderly and men that don't carry theirselves in a arrogant manner.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:52:32 PM EDT
[#19]
At my office, we have elevators that are pretty aggressive for trying to close on people.  I've picked up a habit of holding elevator doors for everybody getting on or off if I'm closest to the front, and holding a hand in front of the sensor when people are approaching.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:18:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Some women really take offense if you hold the door open for them. .

You forgot 'and they're let you know about it either verbally or with The Look.' I've been the recipient of both.

Just sucks that I have to get the evil eye from the majority of the 'liberated' young female crowd around here.

Many years ago, I had one bitch look at me with her nose up and say, "I'm quite capable of opening my own door."

When a woman does occasionally say something negative

I've gotten dirty looks from women

women my age are about a 50/50 split: 50% give me a dirty look, like I just insulted them or I'm stalking them

When I get the attitude from a woman

I had one young lady give me grief

I catch flak from the "modern, liberated women" (see: bitches) who think I'm trying to hold her down, or that I'm making a statement about her sex being the weaker of the two

Wow.  

I am either living an incredibly blessed life, or am just really naive and ignorant - because I've been holding open doors my entire life and have never noticed any woman give me a dirty look or a negative comment.  Are you guys staring at their boobs, or pinching them on the ass while they are walking through the door?  

I mean, I might not notice a "look" - but I'm sure I would notice if someone SAID something to me, and that's never happend (and I've been studying or working on university campuses for the last 16 years, so you'd think I'd have more than enough opportunity to meet those "types" of women).

Then again, I might not be noticing because I really don't care.  In my mind, manners are about ME, not about other people - so their reaction is kind of irrelevant to me.  If they smile and say thanks, that's great - but if not, it's no big deal.  My manners are not dependent on theirs.  

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top