Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:21:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Absolutely, and yes I do crave liver now and then. Especially now that I am the only one in the house who will eat it. Means I don't make it often.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:41:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I LOVE liver, especially with onions.  I used to make an awesome sweet curry dish with liver!  Yum.

Now I want liver.  I think I'll go to the grocery store and buy some and make it tonight.  THANKS bri26064

If you think people whine about eating liver, try talking them into blood sausage.  It's really good, but somehow people think it's the most disgusting thing in the world.  I always ask them why they think steak is red in the first place?  (My fiancee and I are going to spend Christmas in Denmark this winter, and I swear I am going to get my fiancee to eat blood sausage!! )

My mom used to give me "black pudding" aka: blood sausage when I was a kid. I absolutely loved that stuff, it smelled great!  I ate it for about six years. And then, city boy watched a show on TV about how it was made and that the real name was blood saugage

MOM!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:56:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I LOVE liver, especially with onions.  I used to make an awesome sweet curry dish with liver!  Yum.

Now I want liver.  I think I'll go to the grocery store and buy some and make it tonight.  THANKS bri26064

If you think people whine about eating liver, try talking them into blood sausage.  It's really good, but somehow people think it's the most disgusting thing in the world.  I always ask them why they think steak is red in the first place?  (My fiancee and I are going to spend Christmas in Denmark this winter, and I swear I am going to get my fiancee to eat blood sausage!! )

My mom used to give me "black pudding" aka: blood sausage when I was a kid. I absolutely loved that stuff, it smelled great!  I ate it for about six years. And then, city boy watched a show on TV about how it was made and that the real name was blood saugage

MOM!!!!!!!

That's hilarious!!  
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:03:31 AM EDT
[#4]
One day I accidentally put some on my plate at a buffet, not knowing what it was.

When I took a bite, every hair on my body went rigid.  My face went into involuntary contortions.  Everyone at the table thought it was hilarious (except me).

When I realized what it was, my love for my Mother grew immeasurably, because in all the years of her raising me, she never tried to feed us liver.  When I told her this story she said it was because her mother forced her to eat it and she swore that if she ever had kids...

I figure a blind (well, unaware) taste test was a fair shot for it to prove itself to be edible.

It failed.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:19:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
One day I accidentally put some on my plate at a buffet, not knowing what it was.

When I took a bite, every hair on my body went rigid.  My face went into involuntary contortions.  Everyone at the table thought it was hilarious (except me).

Brohawk, Let me tell you waht happened to a friend of mine. You of all people will appreciate this one. Same exact thing happened to a friend of mine

EXCEPT!!!

She had braces on at the time and it got all lodged in the braces. She was tasting that for HOURS!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Only those from my enemies.  

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:03:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Liver is gross.  It's a sponge for all of the waste matter in the body.  I won't eat it.  Might was well eat the ass while you're at it.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:11:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I like liver pate on pumpernickle bread with some cheese and thin slices of salami!   Yum
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:14:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
    I know this sounds stupid,  but the other day at work when I mentioned I needed to stop by the local meat deli to pick up some calf liver for dinner,  I got nothing but moans and groans.  Not one of my co-workers liked liver.  I was just wondering if I am a minority.

If you look at what the liver does for the body, I'd bet you'd think twice about it too...

It's like asking 'would you eat an oil filter'?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:49:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
    I know this sounds stupid,  but the other day at work when I mentioned I needed to stop by the local meat deli to pick up some calf liver for dinner,  I got nothing but moans and groans.  Not one of my co-workers liked liver.  I was just wondering if I am a minority.

If you look at what the liver does for the body, I'd bet you'd think twice about it too...

It's like asking 'would you eat an oil filter'?

Wow, how ignorant.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:55:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I do like liver and fried onions, especially if it's fried in bacon grease.  My Grandma (many, many years ago) also made gravey out of the pan juices.  Liver and onions over buttermilk biscuts with clumsy gravy .... Yummmmmm!   Wife now makes it for me once a year on my birthday.

I do remember when I was in boot camp at Fort Ord in the mid 60's, we had liver a couple of times.  They would cook it up in these big aluminum square head pans.  I was standing in the front of the chow line one evening when they whipped the top off one of the pans to serve it up.  That liver was bright green (reaction to the aluminum pan)!  You'd have thought it was St. Patricks day!  It tasted great, but there wasn't much of a line for seconds.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:55:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Northern Pike livers...breaded and fried.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 1:16:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Only with....

Oh, wait.   Dr. Fridge beat me to it.

Never mind.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:24:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Freshly butchered hog liver in white gravy yum.......
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:06:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I love fried liver and onions but I can no longer partake because it is very high in cholestrol.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:55:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Liver and onions are good, but for some variety, try liver drizzled with olive oil and oregano, then grilled on a skewer.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:01:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Liver=Good!

I like tongue, too.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:08:54 PM EDT
[#19]
If I'm a guest at someone's home and they serve it, I'll eat it, but you'll NEVER see me ORDER it.

BTW, it's infinitely better when smothered in onions....
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:11:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Liver=Good!

I like tongue, too.

I'm with lokt.  Liver=good
cow tongue=good
chicken livers?  Fry em up and give me some ranch dip or some honey mustard.  YUM!

Now.  How about barbacoa?  (for the white folks, it's "cow face" or cheek meat.  That's some yummy stuff.
Tripas?   Anyone? (boiled first, then grilled over a fire.  YUM!) too bad they won't sell em anymore.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:13:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I do not eat any organ meat.  Not only does it taste nasty and smell horrible, it is full of cholesterol - which I do not need more of!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Cooked black and smothered in onions.

MT
I would like a new liver...mine is a little used up....
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:27:21 PM EDT
[#23]
[Homer] Mmmmmmm......,liver..... [/Homer]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I like pie
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Liver=Good!

I like tongue, too.

cow tongue=good
chicken livers?  Fry em up and give me some ranch dip or some honey mustard.  YUM!

Now.  How about barbacoa?  (for the white folks, it's "cow face" or cheek meat.  That's some yummy stuff.
Tripas?   Anyone? (boiled first, then grilled over a fire.  YUM!) too bad they won't sell em anymore.

Okay, my mind is in the gutter tonight, but did Lokt mean that he just likes tongue or to eat tongue?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:42:19 PM EDT
[#26]
No. Liver tastes nasty.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#27]
For me no on the liver.
The wife loves liver and onions.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Not "NO", not "HELL NO", but.... "FUCK NO"! *shudders* Eating an organ that filters garbage from the blood whilst producing uria (The main componant of urine) (It does other things too) does NOT sound yummy to me.

+1
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:56:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Oh hell no!  

You're talking to a young kid, about 8 IIRC, who was forced to swallow a bite and puked at the dinner table.  Dad didn't force me to eat liver after that.

Liver is the most vile, nasty shit ever cut out of a critter.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:59:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Liver=Good!

I like tongue, too.

cow tongue=good

Okay, my mind is in the gutter tonight, but did Lokt mean that he just likes tongue or to eat tongue?

Why, yes....How you doin'?  
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:03:29 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Why, yes....How you doin'?  

So which is it?  Both?

I'm great! How you doin'?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:09:37 PM EDT
[#32]
nope
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Fried ckicken livers with hot sauce and ketchup!!  mmmmmmm!!!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Fried liver and onions maybe once a year. That used to be my favorite thing at Luby's but they have closed most of them down in Texas.

I love fried gizzards and livers too but if I eat too many of them I can guarantee a gout attack in about 24 hours.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:40:24 PM EDT
[#35]
NO
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#36]
I love eating liver rare in front of others cause it freaks them out, plus I like liver
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#37]
My uncle got me hooked on fried chicken livers and gizzards. I like the texture of liver, something about it.

As a child I was forced to eat liver three times a month for a year or two, fried liver and onions. I had low Iron in my blood and the doc said it would be good for me. He told my parents I would be better off getting my Iron that way than via a pill. I like that doc he was a good guy. He also told my parents to bathe me in whole uncooked oatmeal when I was 5 with the chicken pox because it was cheaper than the stuff you got at the drug store. Ya don't find docs like that any more.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:19:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Liver , Heart , tonges , feet it's all good
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:22:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Absolutly Not!!!

I tried it once............and it tasted like shit
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:25:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Why would anybody want to eat an impurity filter ?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#41]
I will only eat braised Foie Gras (duck liver) or fried chicken livers with hot sauce or spicy mustard!!Not going to eat large mammal organs.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:03:41 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a mixed opinion:

Fried Chicken Livers: VERY GOOD

Beef Liver: TERRIBLE

Heart (all types): tastes OKAY but tougher than Goodyear tires to chew

Beef Tongue (Ground up into a sandwich salad): GOOD

Braunschwieger/Liverwurst:  Mmmmmm GOOD

Rocky Mountain Oysters: OKAY

Brains:  Never had 'em, freaks me out.

Tripe: NASTY

You guys who hate beef liver should try fried chicken livers, those little bastards are tasty.

Don't worry about the 'filter' thing, chickens aren't drinking bourbon and snorting lines of blow, they have a pretty simple lifestyle...
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:06:28 PM EDT
[#43]
mmmm........brain
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:18:40 PM EDT
[#44]
No, no and NO! Yuch, hated it since I was a kid! To me it is like eating one big blood clot! YUCH! EEEEWWWWWWW!!!! Never bring this topic up again!Yuch,ew,ew,ew yuch yuch
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:22:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Negative!  Beef liver stinks when cooked and the flavor and texture are nasty
Two thumbs up on the Rocky Mountain Oysters though!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:22:43 PM EDT
[#46]
simple and favorite recipe for venison liver

Venison Liver and Onions  
Ingredients:

1 thinly sliced deer liver
1 cup flour, seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder
2 Large onions, sliced
Cooking oil

Directions:

Place the seasoned flour on a large piece of waxed paper. Heat 1/3 cup cooking oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions and fry for about 5 minutes. Push the onions to one edge of the pan. Coat each piece of liver with the seasoned flour. Place in pan and cook 2 minutes on each side. Don't overcook or the liver will be tough. As each batch is cooked, transfer to a pre-heated platter and keep warm in the oven. When all of the liver is cooked, serve with onions on heated plates.

Serves: 6-12 depending on liver size.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:31:26 PM EDT
[#47]
I cut the calves liver in strips. Dip it into seasoned flour and fry it in either oil or bacon fat. Then I use the grease/oil left over for a roux and stir in a packet of Liptons Onion Soup Mix and make an onion gravy...

Chicken livers are fried in oil, drained and a small amount of butter, salt, hot sauce, and pepper are added....

Great for your cholesterol and fat content....

Never had RM Oysters...Can't find them in AZ and I don't know any ranchers...

Edith: "I'm making you a tongue sandwich Archie"
Archie: "I don't want nuthin that came out of a cows mouth!"
Edith: "Well, than what do you want?"
Archie: "Make me an egg salad sandwich..."
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:04:40 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I have a mixed opinion:

Fried Chicken Livers: VERY GOOD

Beef Liver: TERRIBLE

Heart (all types): tastes OKAY but tougher than Goodyear tires to chew

Beef Tongue (Ground up into a sandwich salad): GOOD

Braunschwieger/Liverwurst:  Mmmmmm GOOD

Rocky Mountain Oysters: OKAY

Brains:  Never had 'em, freaks me out.

Tripe: NASTY

You guys who hate beef liver should try fried chicken livers, those little bastards are tasty.

Don't worry about the 'filter' thing, chickens aren't drinking bourbon and snorting lines of blow, they have a pretty simple lifestyle...

Talk about an animal that will eat anything,  man if chickens were four foot tall it wouldn't be safe to leave the house without a gun in your hand. Well it really aint safe to leave the house without a gun in your hand now anyway.
My brother had and older friend who liked to hunt squirrels all the time. One day my brother went over to see him and he was cleaning squirrels , my brother noticed he was crackin their little heads open and asked why.  The dude was saving the brains for squirrel brains and eggs. This old boy would eat just about anything.  When they butchered ducks they would cut their heads off and drain the blood into a bucket so they could make soup out of it, called it (wrong spelling) Chawnina.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:19:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Around here we use liver as catfish bait.  As far as eating it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:44:40 AM EDT
[#50]
I've only ever had beef liver once or twice.  It was okay, but nowhere near as good as chicken liver.  I think the breading they fry the chicken liver in has something to do with it.

And yes, I do get cravings for them occasionally....in fact, there's a great little hole-in-the-wall chicken place here that sells chicken livers.  I know what I'm having for lunch!!

I tried chicken gizzards once.  No thank you.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top