Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:01:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I won't eat nasty, supermarket calf's liver.

But seared Fois Gras is awesome.

Chopped liver's nice, too.

My favorite?  Monk fish liver.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:20:22 AM EDT
[#2]
The only way that I will eat liver of any form is rumaki. Pureed liver, onion and garlic, fried into bacon-wrapped balls held together with toothpicks.

Dipped in sweet & sour or duck sauce.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:28:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Before you take another bite of liver, consider this. Liver is an organ that is designed to filter out POISONS and CONTAMINANTS from the degestive system. These contaminants collect over a period of years, and saturate the liver until it is no longer useable, or the host dies. When you eat liver, all those contaminated cells in the eaten liver then invade your own digestive system. Not only is this extremely gross, it will overload your own liver, therefore shortening it's life. That in turn, will shorten your life. Have a nice day.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:27:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Before you take another bite of liver, consider this. Liver is an organ that is designed to filter out POISONS and CONTAMINANTS from the degestive system. These contaminants collect over a period of years, and saturate the liver until it is no longer useable, or the host dies. When you eat liver, all those contaminated cells in the eaten liver then invade your own digestive system. Not only is this extremely gross, it will overload your own liver, therefore shortening it's life. That in turn, will shorten your life. Have a nice day.

Sounds like a paranoid urban legend to me.  Liver is generally one of the most nutrituous parts of an animal's body to eat.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:31:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:35:30 AM EDT
[#6]
"Sounds like a paranoid urban legend to me. Liver is generally one of the most nutrituous parts of an animal's body to eat"

Look it up. It's in MEDICAL JOURNALS and TEXTBOOKS!!!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:54:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
"Sounds like a paranoid urban legend to me. Liver is generally one of the most nutrituous parts of an animal's body to eat"

Sure

Care to provide a few references where these journals and textbooks state that it is dangerous to eat liver?

The question is not what the liver does when it is functioning inside a body (I'm reasonably aware of how the liver works - unlike some of the others in this thread who have made the same claim as you) - the question is whether it is healthy to eat after having been removed from the animal.

The conventional wisdom is that liver is in fact one of the BEST parts of an animals body to eat - in terms of nutrition, iron, etc - and unless you provide some medical references that state it is dangerous to eat liver, I am dismissing your claim as uninformed paranoia.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:54:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Sorry, but I gotta call on this one.  Burden of proof is on you, as you made the allegations.  Let's see some links!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:55:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Why do you think there are Liver Pills in the Health Food Store?
Gloftoe, I call your BS and raise you a liver........

It is good for you.  But I do shudder at eating it staight like liver and onions..... (kinda like Tequila/don't ask)......but I can eat it in other food......

Some good ole' dirty rice right now sounds good (with beef and chicken liver) ..
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:55:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:57:16 AM EDT
[#11]
If you can wait until tomorrow, yes I can prove it. I don't have my old textbooks at work, since I usually don't need them there.

Edited to add: The health effects are long term and cumulative. You're not going to fall over dead if you eat liver for dinner tonight. In fact you won't die from eating liver at all. I'm just saying that it WILL have an adverse affect on your health. And IT'S GROSS. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:07:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If you can wait until tomorrow, yes I can prove it. I don't have my old textbooks at work, since I usually don't need them there.

I'll agree with you to the point that - if given a choice - you'd want to eat liver from a yougner animal as opposed to an older one, because I'm sure some accumulation of various chemicals in the liver might make it taste less good.  That's not a problem, since most liver you buy is from young animals (calf livver, chicken livers, etc).  However, the fact remains that liver is generally considered one of the most nutrituous parts of the body to eat, rich in protein, vitamins and iron.  

However, if you want to "prove" it, please do not come back with medical cites explaining how the liver works - (I think most of us understand that) and then claim that it IMPLIES we should not eat liver.  What I would like to see is a reputable medical text or journal EXPLICITLY saying that eating liver is dangerous.  I know that some people claim that the potential accumulation of chemicals in older animals' livers might offset the nutrituional value of liver, but I've NEVER heard of a medical opinion that liver is actually dangerous to eat.

Ultimately, I don't really care - because I intend to keep eating liver.  If you already do not eat liver, then it probably makes little difference to you either.  

So please don't go out of your way or spend a lot of time.

If you prove liver is bad (or gross) - can I still eat blood sausage?  

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top