Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:02:35 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
You are never equal to a LEO UNTIL you appear in Court.

There.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:15:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He really just seemed pissed that I didn't let him order me around.  He woofed, I didn't jump.

edit was for spelling.

It seems to me that you're pissed because he "woofed" and you put your guns away.

No.  It is more that I saw that he wasn't going to be reasonable...no matter what was said.  I was convinced that he was going to do whatever he had to to make the guns leave the table.  A crowd had formed and he was turning red.  As stated...I am in the military.  Getting arrested whether you are guilty or not has some special ramifications.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Dealing guns without a liscense, Selling surplus stuff while active ?

Treelander:

I am in the Air Force, and as a side job, I sometimes pimp surplus to the unwashed masses at the local flea market. Plus, we are buying a house, so we needed to move some stuff that we aren't going to have the storage space for.

were you dropped on your head as a child?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:17:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I bet you were at Smiley's. Bibb county sheriff's are a bunch of asshats, wannebe rambo's. Houston county is just as bad. They all have the attitude of "Just do what I say, cause I am the Police".

Have you checked out the Rifleman over on 247 yet? I haven't had time to go by there, but I hear he has alot of black rifles.

Bingo!  Smelly's...er....Smiley's.

Yeah I have been in Mark's shop.  It looks good.  He's got a Robarms 5.45 AK that I am lusting after.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:34:05 PM EDT
[#5]
There are a few things I wish I had done different.  Like I said, I had just put the guns on the table when the Deputy walked up.  I didn't think about the GA CCW thing until a few minutes later.  I doubt it would have mattered to him though.  Before he clammed up I asked him if he had any idea how many guns are sold at Smelly's.  He said, "none while I'M here!".  He was a young Deputy on a power trip.

Vinnie, let me ask you something.  You hear a story from a Citizen.  You say, hey, we don't know both sides of the story.  When you hear a story from another cop, do you say the same thing?

Also...an LEO needs to operate within the law.  It's not like they can go out and stop someone from doing what is perfectly legal, just because they think it isn't prudent.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:53:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
At what point did it cross your mind to ask to speak to a supervisor? Nothing wrong with getting the issue clarified right there and then as long as you remain civil.

Hunter out....

I should have.  I just didn't think of it.  

We were civil.  He was not disrespectful....just wrong.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:03:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It was a game of one up, problem is the game never should have been started in the first place, as there was no violation of the law.

It would have been one thing for the cop to give his opion that perhaps he should be more carefull about he sells to, but to do what he did crossed the line.

Ok, that I can agree with.  I'm still hung up on the "I am in the Air Force, and as a side job, I sometimes pimp surplus to the unwashed masses at the local flea market."  That's just not sitting right with me.

I'm an Army Reservist, a Warrant Officer at that, and I make my living selling surplus.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:17:50 PM EDT
[#8]
There are cops in the real world who are simply just fucking assholes and could use a dose of their own attitude shoved up their ass sideways. Sorry you met one.
Some cops on this board belong in that group as well.
We do, on the other hand have some great LEO's on this board.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:21:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
So the cop didn't want a gun being sold without a NICS check and did everything in his power not to let that happen.  You even said:

I wish I had said that I would put up a sign that said that I would only sell to Georgia residents who had CCW permits, as they don't require a background check.

I'm not getting why you are upset.  The cop did the right thing by preventing what seemed to be an irresponsible act.

Since when can private parties do a 'NICS' check?????????????????
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:49:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't care what anyone says, that Cop JBT is an asstroll of the highest order.

Next time, tell him to pound sand. You are well within your rights to sell the gun, no matter what fuckboy says!

Fucking cops! How many times I wished they'd put the badge aside and dance with me!

HS1
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:58:17 PM EDT
[#12]
What are you guys getting all worked up for?
It's not like he shot the family dog or anything....
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What are you guys getting all worked up for?
It's not like he shot the family dog or anything....

Yet..................
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:17:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:22:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You are never equal to a LEO UNTIL you appear in Court.

There.

with Johny Cockring
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
There are a few things I wish I had done different.  Like I said, I had just put the guns on the table when the Deputy walked up.  I didn't think about the GA CCW thing until a few minutes later.  I doubt it would have mattered to him though.  Before he clammed up I asked him if he had any idea how many guns are sold at Smelly's.  He said, "none while I'M here!".  He was a young Deputy on a power trip.

Vinnie, let me ask you something.  You hear a story from a Citizen.  You say, hey, we don't know both sides of the story.  When you hear a story from another cop, do you say the same thing?

Also...an LEO needs to operate within the law.  It's not like they can go out and stop someone from doing what is perfectly legal, just because they think it isn't prudent.

As a matter of fact, yes I do.  I always talk to everyone involved, because if I have to go to court, I don't want to look like an ass.

And you're absolutely right, especially because we're cops, we MUST operate within the law.  (At least that's how I see it)

But, you said it yourself, there was something that you could have said that would have made this a little less confrontational.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:54:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
When I grow up and get my own site, I am going to ban all threads relating to law enforcement. You guys sound like a bunch of wanna be pussies always shoving each other but never really do anything about it. Why dont the cop haters and the arrogant JBTs meet somewhere and kill each other. Fucking Gay.

I can only wish...
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:11:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:16:17 PM EDT
[#20]
A lot of police officers don't like it when you know your rights better than they know the law, and they're openly known as peace officers.

People are people, and really don't like it when they're proven wrong.

As an aside, good goin'
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:17:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:27:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:35:01 PM EDT
[#23]
It is possible deputy dog was working the flea market after hours, but in uniform.  I have hired local LEO's to do this for special events.  If so, it could be that the flea market owners told him they did not want guns sold there.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:38:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:41:00 PM EDT
[#25]
tag
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

But, you said it yourself, there was something that you could have said that would have made this a little less confrontational.

So do you live your private life on your knees, or is it just something you advocate for others? A thing calling itself a man undertook to intimidate a citizen into refraining from doing a perfectly lawful act, and your comment is that the victim could have made the situation a "little less confrontational?" What a piece of work!

How about this: the badge-wearing sausage-brained clump of dog shit who undertook not to enforce the law, but to use his badge to arrogate to himself the power to govern other men by decree, could have minded his own business. Would that work? Or is it the business of policemen to use the appearance of authority to inflict their personal preferences on the rest of us, and the business of the rest of us to lay down and comply?

The original poster should file a complaint with the internal affairs section of the pertinent agency ASAP. The lowlife he dealt with is precisely the kind of dirty cop who takes "bush bonds" on traffic infractions. What Vinnie is, I don't know.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:48:25 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
When I grow up and get my own site, I am going to ban all threads relating to law enforcement. You guys sound like a bunch of wanna be pussies always shoving each other but never really do anything about it. Why dont the cop haters and the arrogant JBTs meet somewhere and kill each other. Fucking Gay.

Cool I would love to see that I have a friend thats a former marine and now a swat cop I think I'll put my money on him.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:48:37 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool I would love to see that I have a friend thats a former marine and now a swat cop I think I'll put my money on him.

I could care less about your bad ass friend who is bigger or badder than somebody elses bad ass friend. I also dont give a flying fuck who you put your money on. Enough of the pushing and shoving..... FUCKING FIGHT IT OUT ALREADY or shut the fuck up.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:51:19 PM EDT
[#29]
1.) Have an attorney check over the flea market paperwork

2.) If all is okay, go back to said market and repeat sale

3.) If officer comes back and pursues same track...

4.) Make more money from the department (civil lawsuit)  that you will selling surplus in your lifetime

5.)  Buy as many firearms as you have time to spend shopping, and possibly force police departments across the nation to teach firearm law to their officers

Being a vindictive asshole, that's what I would do

FWIW

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:53:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, you screwed up.  Say anything bad about cops here and you'll get locked quicker than you can say "MOD!"

IBTL
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:05:35 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Well, you screwed up.  Say anything bad about cops here and you'll get locked quicker than you can say "MOD!"

IBTL

This isn't the Brothers of the Shield forum, he can talk shit about an individual all he wants. Other posters have crossed the line though.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:13:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IBTL

This isn't the Brothers of the Shield forum, he can talk shit about an individual all he wants. Other posters have crossed the line though.

Who? How? I am forever hearing cryptic crap like this in soon-to-be-locked threads. Who crossed what line, in what post?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:13:01 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IBTL

Who? How? I am forever hearing cryptic crap like this in soon-to-be-locked threads. Who crossed what line, in what post?

A couple of guys made comments about cops in general. Per my understanding, this is a violation of the CoC. I don't think it was anything worthy of a lock, but you never know. I think as long as it stays mostly a discussion about an individual the thread is OK.

BTW, I think he was an asshat who was using his badge to enforce personal preferences, and  HighStrung1 was right to fold when he did. he can badger all he wants, he was in the right, but when it came down to it he chose to sell his guns another day instead of handle it in court.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:31:09 PM EDT
[#34]
I almost got in a fist fight once over shipping policies here in Montana with a guy at the gunshow.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:51:24 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
At what point did it cross your mind to ask to speak to a supervisor? Nothing wrong with getting the issue clarified right there and then as long as you remain civil.

Hunter out....

I should have.  I just didn't think of it.  

We were civil.  He was not disrespectful....just wrong.  

Fair enough Bro.

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:59:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Vinnie; NYC rules do not apply nationwide. For that matter, most people hate NYers as a concept. They think Hitllary is from NY. Hate to admit it, quite a few NYers are as bad or worse.

Cophaters; a reminder. LEOs are a creation of your local government as an enforcement arm. you have a problem with them, take it up with their bosses. That don't work, got to your city council, mayor, etc. THAT don't work, you're fucked because they'll be opposing you for effectively defying their will and you will have identified yourself by then. There's still the courts, but success there will involve lawyers.... Maybe that officer was wrong, but there is a civil approach to redress it and you didn't take it. Starting public pissing contests with us will never fly. We will win. We will not play by the rules, especially if it promotes disorder. We do not take off our badges to fight fair. We don't square off one-on-one and fight queensbury rules. We back each other up, because on the street no one else does it for us. Unless you can give me a good reason, we'll do that here, too. Every time you inject one of those anti-cop bon mots into an otherwise civil discussion the civil part goes out the window. Do you actually expect to receive fair treatment from us when you won't give us any?
Now for you psychics who read the mind of the LEO who started this ball rolling, since that man is not on the site, he has no spokesman here so we really have no idea what's going on. For those who insist they can read minds, READ MINE. TORQUASM VO!  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:00:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Us Vs. Them

S.O.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:03:00 PM EDT
[#38]
just thanks your lucky stars you didn't have your dog with you
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:22:44 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

As a matter of fact, yes I do.  I always talk to everyone involved, because if I have to go to court, I don't want to look like an ass.
And you're absolutely right, especially because we're cops, we MUST operate within the law.  (At least that's how I see it)  

""""But, you said it yourself, there was something that you could have said that would have made this a little less confrontational."""""""

WTF??

This is as far as I could go through this bullshit thread before responding .  Innocent, legal, seller, Right?  Ignorant Cop, Right?  Hasn't that been determined?  WHO CONFRONTED WHO????  If the stupid ass cop knew his shit, there would have NEVER been a CONFRONTATION, right?  

So, the innocent citizen bears the responsibility of stating the proper words that would be 'less confrontational' before the ignorant stupid-ass COP, Right?  Is that what I just read?  WTF?  

Vinnie, oh Vinnie.  A Small part of America is still a free country.  

I apologize.  Surely, I must have misread the above.  Sorry, my bad, nevermind, I'm off to sleepytown.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:52:24 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Dealing guns without a liscense, Selling surplus stuff while active ?

Treelander:

I am in the Air Force, and as a side job, I sometimes pimp surplus to the unwashed masses at the local flea market. Plus, we are buying a house, so we needed to move some stuff that we aren't going to have the storage space for.

It's only dealing without a license if you replenish your stock. I'm on a federal grand jury, and according to the ATF witness in a case we heard, you can sell off an entire collection without having to have a license, just DON'T be replenishing stock. If you keep showing up at gunshows with guns for private sale, chances are, you're gonna get paid some attention.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:23:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Cops don't know firearms laws, several years ago I was on a ridealong and we pulled over a guy for speeding, turns out he had a Glock .45 in a holster on the passenger seat, under a jacket. He told the cop right away, and the cop confiscated it b/c "it was a concealed weapon and he didn't have a CCW". I was 16 at the time and was kinda sure that if it's in a holster, it's legal no matter where it is, but didn't want to say anything. He was a dick to me the whole night and I wasn't gonna say something and have him snap at me just to save his ass.

He checked with a sergeant later that night, the sarge told him he had illegally confiscated the gun . I was laughing (inside) and the guy ended up getting his gun back, and getting off the speeding ticket.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:26:51 AM EDT
[#42]

Cops don't know firearms laws
-  yeah ok.  I'm sure there are some guys out there that dont know alot about firearm laws, but there are so many laws on the books none of us know all of them.  We all tend to find our niches and excel in that field.  Some of us are pro's in the traffic, others excel with firearm related issues.  To think that all LEOs dont know about firearm regulations is simply setting yourself up for failure.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:30:11 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

-  yeah ok.  I'm sure there are some guys out there that dont know alot about firearm laws, but there are so many laws on the books none of us know all of them.  We all tend to find our niches and excel in that field.  Some of us are pro's in the traffic, others excel with firearm related issues.  To think that all LEOs dont know about firearm regulations is simply setting yourself up for failure.

Then those who dont know or are unsure should refrain from quoting "law" until they know for sure.

S.O.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:02:41 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then those who dont know or are unsure should refrain from quoting "law" until they know for sure.

S.O.

+1

Its one thing to not know the law. Its another to not know it and make it up as you go, acting as if you do.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:17:04 AM EDT
[#45]
After reading 4 pages of res;ponses to what happened to treelander, two things has become abundantly clear.

It's obvious why the laws in NY are so restrictive, people there have to deal with cops like Vinnie.  And Vinnie is exactly the kind of cop that would have hassled Treelander despite Tree knowing the laws and rules better than him.  You, Vinnie, epitomize the JBT, never admitting you're wrong, always assuming guilt among the law-abiding citizenry, an elitist attitude, absolute condescension toward non-LEO's.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:31:39 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
After reading 4 pages of res;ponses to what happened to treelander, two things has become abundantly clear.

It's obvious why the laws in NY are so restrictive, people there have to deal with cops like Vinnie.  And Vinnie is exactly the kind of cop that would have hassled Treelander despite Tree knowing the laws and rules better than him.  You, Vinnie, epitomize the JBT, never admitting you're wrong, always assuming guilt among the law-abiding citizenry, an elitist attitude, absolute condescension toward non-LEO's.

Vinnie has been pretty polite thus far; I think that you are out of line with the slanderous JBT commentary.If you disagree with him, just say so and leave it at that.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:17:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Could you have put out fro sale a picture of the gun? Put a sale price on the picture of $100. If anyone asks, you can arrange a private sale of the actual firearm outside of the venue.

ktm500

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:25:10 AM EDT
[#48]
I wish we had swap meets like that here
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:36:40 AM EDT
[#49]
I just got off the phone with Mr. Campen, the owner of the flea market.  

I told him what happened, same as I told you guys.  He said that the Deputy was clearly in the wrong.  He wants to have a meeting with some of the Bibb County cops...which I thought was cool.  I asked him if it was against his rules to sell firearms(his house...his rules).  "Certainly not."  He said that as long as the things sold on his private property are legal, there are no restrictions.  They operate large flea markets in three states....but he is in GA.  I told him about me being a sub-contractor for his business.    "Unless they changed the laws, he was dead wrong on that!"

He asked me to come back out and try again.  I think I have a rusty Mosin that a CCW guy needs.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:02:47 AM EDT
[#50]
You handled  yourself well, and thanks for your service.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top