Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/19/2004 10:51:22 AM EDT
This is minor, but it still has me pissed enough to want to say something to someone, even if it is just a letter to the Editor of the local paper.

I am in the Air Force, and as a side job, I sometimes pimp surplus to the unwashed masses at the local flea market.  Plus, we are buying a house, so we needed to move some stuff that we aren't going to have the storage space for.

I was set up there with a friend, and he suggested that I set out the two handguns that I had left from the gun show the day before.  I was reluctant because most of these folks did not seem to have enough money to afford a SIG...but I said, "hey, why not.  I've been surprised before".  

I have the weapons out all of 3 minutes when a Sheriff's Deputy walks up.

I see you're selling some guns today!

Yep.

Let me ask you this...how are you doing your NICS background check?

Private sells between Georgia residents of legal age don't require a backgroud check.

Well, a private sell is like when you put an ad in the paper and someone shows up at your house...you don't know these people from Adam.  I need you to go ahead and put them back up.

If I put an ad in the paper, and they show up at my house, I don't know them from Adam either.

Well it is againt the policy of this place to sell firearms.

That is not listed in any of their literature.  I know, I've read it.

Even though this is private property, this is a public gathering, therefore this isn't a private sell.  You need to put your guns up.

I have not broken any law of the State of Georgia.  I have followed the published rules of this business.

OK.  I'll get you a copy of the law you have broken right now!

gets on his cell phone.  calls....someone.  asks questions....mumbles a lot so we can't hear him

The dude turns around and says, "You are right.  Firearms sells between Georgia residents are legal.  But when you paid for the rent on these tables, you became a sub-contractor for this establishment.  For today, this is a business.

He then looks at me smuggley and says, "There are ways around everything."

I wasn't really pissed until that last comment.  Plus the literature from the flea market makes it clear that things for sell in the yard sale area are the responsibility of the sellers.....NOT THE FLEA MARKET OWNERS.  So I was not a sub-contractor.

I said "well you certaily found one!".

I put my guns up and asked him if there was anything else he needed.  He stood there for about a minute without saying anything, then he walked away.

I wish I had said that I would put up a sign that said that I would only sell to Georgia residents who had CCW permits, as they don't require a background check.

Is there anytyhing that can be done about officers like this?  Does writing a letter to their department help at all?

He really just seemed pissed that I didn't let him order me around.  He woofed, I didn't jump.

edit was for spelling.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:56:59 AM EDT
[#1]
sounds like an elitist prick.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:59:13 AM EDT
[#2]
You could have replied, "Obviously I haven't broken any laws, because if I had, you wouldn't be harassing me about putting up my firearms, you would be confiscating them and arresting me."
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:59:41 AM EDT
[#3]
If I read it right then according to him gun shows are illegal too
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:59:56 AM EDT
[#4]
It is assholes that guy who give good cops a bad rep.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:00:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I would've waited until he left, then put the guns back out on the table...it's unlikely he'd be back...and if you saw him coming back, you could just hide the guns again...
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:02:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Contact the local NRA and maybe one of here lawyers can back you up  , then contact the officers dept. to "clarify" the issue.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:03:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Typical. Most COPS JBT's don't know jack shit about firearms laws, even though it behooves them immensely to know them.

You tried to be persuasive. But as I have learned about COPS JBT's, they'll stoop to anything when they get a bug up their ass. It just isn't worth it to try to dissuade a JBT from achieving his goal of exerting his superiority. The potential problems usually outweigh the benefits.

Fuck 'em!

HS1
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

He really just seemed pissed that I didn't let him order me around.  He woofed, I didn't jump.

edit was for spelling.

It seems to me that you're pissed because he "woofed" and you put your guns away.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:05:28 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It seems to me that you're pissed because he "woofed" and you put your guns away.

Spoken like a true JBT. Insert foot in mouth.

HS1
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:15:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HS1

He's bitching because he felt that he was right and the "JBT" was wrong. Yet, he did as he was told but implies that he didn't. Whatever makes him feel better.

I'll just call it as I see it. He didn't have the balls to go to the wall even though he's certain that he's in the right. Or maybe he's not so sure that he was right.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:19:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Dealing guns without a liscense, Selling surplus stuff while active ?

Treelander:

I am in the Air Force, and as a side job, I sometimes pimp surplus to the unwashed masses at the local flea market. Plus, we are buying a house, so we needed to move some stuff that we aren't going to have the storage space for.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:29:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If I read it right then according to him gun shows are illegal too

Oops...there you go...
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:39:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Thank God this brave officer went home safe.

Attention all Arfcommers! We need a Hero Rifle Drive for this brave cop! Alert CCA!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#14]
I bet you were at Smiley's. Bibb county sheriff's are a bunch of asshats, wannebe rambo's. Houston county is just as bad. They all have the attitude of "Just do what I say, cause I am the Police".

Have you checked out the Rifleman over on 247 yet? I haven't had time to go by there, but I hear he has alot of black rifles.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:51:45 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

HS1

He's bitching because he felt that he was right and the "JBT" was wrong. Yet, he did as he was told but implies that he didn't. Whatever makes him feel better.

I'll just call it as I see it. He didn't have the balls to go to the wall even though he's certain that he's in the right. Or maybe he's not so sure that he was right.

To take this a step further, if he had done the opposite and refused to comply, the LEO JBT would gave likely arrested him for disorderly conduct or obstruction on the premise of refusing to comply with an order from a LEO.  So he would be here bitching about being arrested.  And Sukebe, you would have been right there telling him "if you didn't want to go to jail, shouldn't have disobeyed.....don't fight the cop on the street, fight him in the courtroom".  Therefore, I conclude your comment was a defensive trolling comment.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:53:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
sounds like an elitist prick typical badge-bitch.

Fixed it for you.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:54:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Good job TREE.

Even if others think you backed down, I say you responsibly diffused the situation.

This JBT seemed cocky and arrogant, without even being familiar with your rights and the law, you showed a firm, educated defense.

Making a phone call will do probably nothing, rather posting it here has given food for thought to some to equally make the same defense if the same situation arises, that is the difference you have made.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:58:00 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd find out for sure that you are breaking no laws, then go back to the flea market next week and refuse to step down.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:13:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Can't be the case, all the cops here insist that rank and file officers overwhellmingly support the RKBA and only chiefs are anti's.

Sadly, LE in GA seems to attract the very kind of "I love power" attitude that it should be avoiding in people. Look just up the interstate and you will find those counties who make a living by posting officers on the interstate for no other purpose than to see just how much $$$ they can bring in via forfiture

This guy was an asshole, a prick, and he flat out lied to you about the law. Yet the blue line has already popped up here to defend him.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

This guy was an asshole, a prick, and he flat out lied to you about the law. Yet the blue line has already popped up here to defend him.

Who knew.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:23:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Selling guns at a flea market sounds kinda wierd.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:25:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
sounds like an elitist prick.

Now there is a surprise
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:26:03 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I wasn't defending the officer at all.  He didn't have a leg to stand on and he knew it; he was just pulling stuff out of his ass to intimidate treelander.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:27:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Dealing guns without a liscense, Selling surplus stuff while active ?

Treelander:

I am in the Air Force, and as a side job, I sometimes pimp surplus to the unwashed masses at the local flea market. Plus, we are buying a house, so we needed to move some stuff that we aren't going to have the storage space for.

Do you even know what it is you are talking about? Go away.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#25]
So the cop didn't want a gun being sold without a NICS check and did everything in his power not to let that happen.  You even said:

I wish I had said that I would put up a sign that said that I would only sell to Georgia residents who had CCW permits, as they don't require a background check.

I'm not getting why you are upset.  The cop did the right thing by preventing what seemed to be an irresponsible act.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:31:17 PM EDT
[#26]
privately selling a gun is an irresponsible act?  Careful, Vinnie, your Bronx is showing.

Quoted:
So the cop didn't want a gun being sold without a NICS check and did everything in his power not to let that happen.  You even said:

I'm not getting why you are upset.  The cop did the right thing by preventing what seemed to be an irresponsible act.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:34:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:38:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Because, Vinnie, in the free parts of the USA we can still legally sell guns without a NICS check.

If it is legal, its legal. The cop used his badge and authority to intimidate a citizen from doing a perfectly legal thing because he didn't like it. And he lied to do it also. If you don't see that as an abuse of power and authority, I can understand why the NYPD has so many scandals.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#29]
When I grow up and get my own site, I am going to ban all threads relating to law enforcement. You guys sound like a bunch of wanna be pussies always shoving each other but never really do anything about it. Why dont the cop haters and the arrogant JBTs meet somewhere and kill each other. Fucking Gay.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:42:49 PM EDT
[#30]
tell the asshole next time to go fuck himself that you are doing nothing illegal and if he tries any shit you will sue his ass
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#31]
At what point did it cross your mind to ask to speak to a supervisor? Nothing wrong with getting the issue clarified right there and then as long as you remain civil.

Hunter out....
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:50:40 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
The cop did the right thing by preventing what seemed to be an irresponsible act.

Where do the idiots come from? Is a village looking for you?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Let me elaborate more"

Quoted:

I am in the Air Force, and as a side job, I sometimes pimp surplus to the unwashed masses at the local flea market.  Plus, we are buying a house, so we needed to move some stuff that we aren't going to have the storage space for.

I was set up there with a friend, and he suggested that I set out the two handguns that I had left from the gun show the day before.  I was reluctant because most of these folks did not seem to have enough money to afford a SIG...but I said, "hey, why not.  I've been surprised before".  

Yep.

I would put up a sign that said that I would only sell to Georgia residents who had CCW permits, as they don't require a background check

Alright then, you have a nice day

Wouldn't this have been a better route?  From the way I read it, you were both 'one upping' each other and now you are ganging up on a guy who can't even defend himself.  How do we know what this looked like in his eyes?  You all seem very quick to judge.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:58:43 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
If you don't see that as an abuse of power and authority, I can understand why the NYPD has so many scandals.

Hey, I'm just giving you another look at it.  No need to get personal about it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Tell him that they only way he can get the guns off the table is to buy them himself.

Quoted:
It seems to me that you're pissed because he "woofed" and you put your guns away

So a cop makes an order he has no authority to make, and you bitch at tree for following it? Where's the indignation at the cop on a power-trip ordering people around?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:58:48 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Let me elaborate more"

Quoted:

Yep.

I would put up a sign that said that I would only sell to Georgia residents who had CCW permits, as they don't require a background check

Wouldn't this have been a better route?  From the way I read it, you were both 'one upping' each other and now you are ganging up on a guy who can't even defend himself.  How do we know what this looked like in his eyes?  You all seem very quick to judge.

I know how it looked in his eyes. Someone was selling guns in a perfectly legal manner, and he didn't like that he was. So he lied and user his badge and authority to intimidate him into not conducting perfectly legal commerce.

The point is, he was in compliance with the law. Yet this asshole felt like making the law up as he went along. We shouldn't have to do more than the law requires just because someone with a  badge thinks that we should.

I bet that same cop walked past a few booths selling bongs and pipes and never said a word.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:59:22 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The cop did the right thing by preventing what seemed to be an irresponsible act.

Where do the idiots come from? Is a village looking for you?

Yeah I'll call after I'm done with your Mom.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:00:07 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you don't see that as an abuse of power and authority, I can understand why the NYPD has so many scandals.

So do you or do you not see what happened as an abuse of authority and power?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:00:23 PM EDT
[#39]
IBTL.

You can't talk sense to these cops.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:01:32 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Let me elaborate more"

Quoted:

Yep.

I know how it looked in his eyes. Some was selling guns in a perfectly legal manner, and he didn't like that he was. So he lied and user his badge and authority to intimidate him into not conducting perfectly legal commerce.

The point is, he was in compliance with the law. Yet this asshole felt like making the law up as he went along. We shouldn't have to do more than the law requires just because someone with a  badge thinks that we should.

I bet that same cop walked past a few booths selling bongs and pipes and never said a word.

You may be right.  I dunno. I wasn't there.  It just seems it could have been handled a whole different way.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:04:52 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So do you or do you not see what happened as an abuse of authority and power?

Yes, after re reading the whole thing again, but like I said, if he said he posted the sign in the first place, then if the JBT diddn't change his course, then yes.  I totally agree with you, he abused his authority.  What I see from the post now is that it's all a game of 'One up.'
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:06:49 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
privately selling a gun is an irresponsible act?  Careful, Vinnie, your Bronx is showing.

I work in Brooklyn

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:08:38 PM EDT
[#43]
It was a game of one up, problem is the game never should have been started in the first place, as there was no violation of the law.

It would have been one thing for the cop to give his opion that perhaps he should be more carefull about he sells to, but to do what he did crossed the line.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:09:19 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
IBTL.

You can't talk sense to these cops.  

I'm listening and can se your point.  It's just too onesided to come up with a definitive answer.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:11:50 PM EDT
[#45]
You are never equal to a LEO UNTIL you appear in Court.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:12:28 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
It was a game of one up, problem is the game never should have been started in the first place, as there was no violation of the law.

It would have been one thing for the cop to give his opion that perhaps he should be more carefull about he sells to, but to do what he did crossed the line.

Ok, that I can agree with.  I'm still hung up on the "I am in the Air Force, and as a side job, I sometimes pimp surplus to the unwashed masses at the local flea market."  That's just not sitting right with me.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:14:37 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
When I grow up and get my own site, I am going to ban all threads relating to law enforcement. You guys sound like a bunch of wanna be pussies always shoving each other but never really do anything about it. Why dont the cop haters and the arrogant JBTs meet somewhere and kill each other. Fucking Gay.

What an unbelievable statement.  The original poster had a true grievance.
Give him a break.  Maybe it will be you next time.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:26:22 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, that I can agree with.  I'm still hung up on the "I am in the Air Force, and as a side job, I sometimes pimp surplus to the unwashed masses at the local flea market."  That's just not sitting right with me.

Entirely legal, depending on how he gets the surplus.  If you cruise the DRMO auctions, you can buy milsurp by the box, sometimes by the pallet.  Or maybe he did what I used to do--cruise the local garage sales in Colorado Springs, buy up all the surplus there at $.25 per item, then turn it in to the surplus store for trade-in value.  Easyway to make some cash.

What, you think the guy would go the distance to stay within the law selling firearms, but be selling surplus illegally?  Doesn't make sense.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:45:37 PM EDT
[#49]
too bad you have to go to jail in situations like this in order to vindicate your rights... but then again "if you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to fear"
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:51:47 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Thank God this brave officer went home safe.

Attention all Arfcommers! We need a Hero Rifle Drive for this brave cop! Alert CCA!!

+1
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top