BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:51:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Oh? How many watts does the A/C unit pull in a Tesla? Are they more efficient than the DC A/C units in an RV?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can they keep the air conditioning on as long or longer than ICE stuck in traffic?

Yes

Oh? How many watts does the A/C unit pull in a Tesla? Are they more efficient than the DC A/C units in an RV?

2 watts
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:51:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

thinking about that

do newer ice cars that stop the engine when the car is stopped lose AC when the engine is stopped?

I've never had a new enough ICE car to get the start/stop tech.

As far as EVs go - I've played games in my car for a couple hours in my 90+ degree garage with the car set at 72 degrees and only lost about 1% of battery. From what i googled a idling ICE car may use around .5 gallon / hour so yeah with that super unscientific estimate I would guess the EV would definitely outlast the ICE car
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can they keep the air conditioning on as long or longer than ICE stuck in traffic?

thinking about that

do newer ice cars that stop the engine when the car is stopped lose AC when the engine is stopped?

I've never had a new enough ICE car to get the start/stop tech.

As far as EVs go - I've played games in my car for a couple hours in my 90+ degree garage with the car set at 72 degrees and only lost about 1% of battery. From what i googled a idling ICE car may use around .5 gallon / hour so yeah with that super unscientific estimate I would guess the EV would definitely outlast the ICE car

Yes and no. The A/C unit in mine keeps running for a while when the engine is stopped with the auto start/stop on. Just about the time the air starts getting hot, the engine cranks up again.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

2 watts
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes

2 watts

And typically, less.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Car AC draws about 1-2 watts. The displays use considerably less.

So I could sit and idle my Porsche at a comfortable temperature for 50-100 hours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How do you evacuate with a dead EV?

About the same as a car with an empty gas tank, I figure.

Much easier to fill a tank with a 5 gallon can of gas than to charge an EV with no power

If you know a storm is coming and don't bother to charge your car before hand, you are an idiot.

250-300 miles will get you plenty far away.

Stuck in bumper to bumper evacuation traffic?  I can see you have never done this before.

Unlike gas cars, EV's engines don't use their "fuel" when idle.

Same thing as we saw last winter, EV's can keep the heat on as long or longer than ICE sitting stuck on the freeway in the snow.

So I could sit and idle my Porsche at a comfortable temperature for 50-100 hours.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:56:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Much easier to fill a tank with a 5 gallon can of gas than to charge an EV with no power

If you know a storm is coming and don't bother to charge your car before hand, you are an idiot.

Stuck in bumper to bumper evacuation traffic?  I can see you have never done this before.

Same thing as we saw last winter, EV's can keep the heat on as long or longer than ICE sitting stuck on the freeway in the snow.

Just doing the math, brother.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Well that would be a problem for both ICE and EV then now wouldnt it? Im going to guess interior damage on either is going to total it out regardless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We had multiple houses burn in our area after a hurricane 2 years ago from flooded out golf carts and cars batteries.
I would imagine EVs are just as susceptible.

You would be wrong. Lithium packs in cars are sealed.

While the packs may be sealed, all the wiring is maybe not so much. Further, salt water is corrosive as shit.

Well that would be a problem for both ICE and EV then now wouldnt it? Im going to guess interior damage on either is going to total it out regardless.

Probably. But the notion that an EV could just go blasting thru salt water with no issues is just ridiculous.

Last time I drove my Jeep thru "deep" non-salty water, all the electronic wizardry started throwing errors like mad. Once all the sensors and wiring dried out, it was OK. Probably would not have been OK if I'd driven thru salty water, though.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:14:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
One thing that is interesting. I don't think most people realize you aren't siphoning gas out of a modern car.
View Quote
@NorCalRT, I guess they're out now but try this. It works for me.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:15:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Probably. But the notion that an EV could just go blasting thru salt water with no issues is just ridiculous.

Last time I drove my Jeep thru "deep" non-salty water, all the electronic wizardry started throwing errors like mad. Once all the sensors and wiring dried out, it was OK. Probably would not have been OK if I'd driven thru salty water, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We had multiple houses burn in our area after a hurricane 2 years ago from flooded out golf carts and cars batteries.

While the packs may be sealed, all the wiring is maybe not so much. Further, salt water is corrosive as shit.

Read the quote chain…no one claimed that, instead pointed out that it wouldn’t simply catch on fire by getting wet.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:17:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Read the quote chain…no one claimed that, instead pointed out that it wouldn’t simply catch on fire by getting wet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

YOU ARE AN EV APOLOGIST

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#10]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

YOU ARE AN EV APOLOGIST

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/138374/ezgif-4-df1209d6e606-1102331.gif

I prefer apostle now
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:23:48 PM EDT
[#11]
1.5 million without power on the West Coast of FL (Tampa to Naples) right now.

Ain't nobody charging shit right now...
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:29:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By:

www.amazon.com/dp/B00N5C28BO

View Quote

This was cheaper and even holds gas, sometimes works as a truck. Doesn’t always hold oil

But I stand corrected, seems like people have figured it out.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:30:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'll try to remember to go out to the car and get another screenshot tonight of what's available around Tampa again.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:32:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'll try to remember to go out to the car and get another screenshot tonight of what's available around Tampa again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be helpful

180k without power in Tampa so they should have some options
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:32:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fill generator with gas. Charge EV
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:33:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

MPkw goes down in traffic just like MPG in a real car
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try again. You're wrong
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never claimed it could. And having driven a Jeep though salt water, you will regret it GREATLY about 16 months later. I got to completely re wire that XJ cause of that…
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:38:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Preach it brother!  Preach It!!!

Join the movement today!
#TeamUnplugged
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:39:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This was cheaper and even holds gas, sometimes works as a truck. Doesn’t always hold oil

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/371613/82FA06C6-8E50-4DD8-A9DC-00067B4658E5-2494798.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originally Posted By:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/371613/82FA06C6-8E50-4DD8-A9DC-00067B4658E5-2494798.jpg

BLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUB
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:42:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Try again. You're wrong
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try again. You're wrong

Turn the ac on
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:43:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

BLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUB
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Originally Posted By:

BLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUB

I only own American V8’s and EV’s
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never trust engineer math
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:09:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I only own American V8’s and EV’s
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:11:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

1-2 watts? … yeah, maybe KILOwatts…

You are joking, right?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:15:36 PM EDT
[#25]

IF YOU OR YOUR LOVED ONES HAVE BEEN PRANKED BY MANATEES RESULTING IN A LOSS OF ELECTRICITY CALL 1-900-MANATEE.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:21:37 PM EDT
[#26]
No, in this thread we realize who hasn’t read all the pages

We also have learned that b-strafe has some nice damn cars

Also, that most people already on arfcom that own an EV also own ICE vehicles

Quoted:
In this thread, we discover who drives an EV...HINT:  the ones saying it's just like a gas vehicle...LOL
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:28:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That would be helpful

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be helpful

The SC network continues flexing its resiliency. Earlier today when I posted it was post landfall and was at about 3 down SC's out of around 30 in Tampa/St Pete area. Tonight, with 1.5million out in FL that number in the same area sits at around 5 SC's down. Again as I posted earlier in the thread my pic only shows 3 down, but that list of SC's scrolls down, hence the 5 out of 30. I think ~25-45% of Tampa is without power right now and the SC network is down 16%. This has a lot to do with many of these being close to trunk lines and they pull straight off of it into conduit to get to the SC station.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:30:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/177862/65465891-1C30-4F75-84CB-3725910965F4-2543244.jpg

The SC network continues flexing its resiliency. Earlier today when I posted it was post landfall and was at about 3 down SC's out of around 30 in Tampa/St Pete area. Tonight, with 1.5million out in FL that number in the same area sits at around 5 SC's down. Again as I posted earlier in the thread my pic only shows 3 down, but that list of SC's scrolls down, hence the 5 out of 30. I think ~25-45% of Tampa is without power right now and the SC network is down 16%. This has a lot to do with many of these being close to trunk lines and they pull straight off of it into conduit to get to the SC station.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be helpful

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/177862/65465891-1C30-4F75-84CB-3725910965F4-2543244.jpg

NOOOOO YOU CAN'T POST REAL INFORMATION FEELZ ONLY
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:32:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Considering one with an EV likely charges their car every night, I dunno why they would have a dead EV starting out.  Sort of one of the major advantages of an EV, you start out every morning with a full tank.

That said, the same way you would with a gas car which has an empty tank.  You don't.

View Quote

Can you store 5 gallons of  immediately transferable electric in your garage?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:45:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

do you even powerwall bro?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:45:17 PM EDT
[#31]
What more annoying than a Green Weeny who drives an EV? The morons who come up with the dumbest reasons why they won’t work.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:45:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Considering one with an EV likely charges their car every night, I dunno why they would have a dead EV starting out.  Sort of one of the major advantages of an EV, you start out every morning with a full tank.

That said, the same way you would with a gas car which has an empty tank.  You don't.

You can't immediately transfer gas.

See that would require instantaneous mass transfer... which in theory, would tear space-time.

So... if you want earth to become a black hole, go ahead.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:51:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

NOOOOO YOU CAN'T POST REAL INFORMATION FEELZ ONLY
View Quote
You already ruined the thread with posting pics that show you own EV and ICE. Total Bummer that you aren't towing the thin green line!!!
In other news, my yard LOL:

The blasphemy of being sandwiched amongst 2 V8's and a greasy flat six in that pic with my EV just waiting to spontaneously combust and take them all out. Even worse is that there's a 6.6L turbo diesel and a 1000cc Polaris behind the camera in this pic. I'm just so green I can't stand it!!!!!!!!

(Greta Thurnberg loves the MPG of the copper land cruiser on 35's in particular. It reminds her of her sailboat I'm sure, or maybe it was her sailboat's anchor...)
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:53:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

See that would require instantaneous mass transfer... which in theory, would tear space-time.

View Quote

Look, that's all well and good. However, I would posit that a black hole is not a tear in space time, and that it is a near infinite curve of space time.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:54:51 PM EDT
[#35]
checkmate gas can people

Anker 757 PowerHouse Powers Tesla Model 3 and DeWALT Tools

on a serious note this is of course absurd. you would not get a meaningful amount of range off one one charge from this. Solar pass through charging is pretty neat though
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:56:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Look, that's all well and good. However, I would posit that a black hole is not a tear in space time, and that it is a near infinite curve of space time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GOD DAM ASYMPTOTES

we can, at least agree, even nearing instantaneous, the heat generated would create a world ending energy blast.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:57:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

GOD DAM ASYMPTOTES

we can, at least agree, even nearing instantaneous, the heat generated would create a world ending energy blast.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GOD DAM ASYMPTOTES

So you’re telling me there’s a chance
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:00:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be helpful

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:03:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GOD DAM ASYMPTOTES

In theory... you could creep more near instantaneous.

But your math is gonna have to be REAL tight. And I wouldn't do it in a populated area.

Not to mention the energy required... and that shit goes up fast!
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:09:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

GOD DAM ASYMPTOTES

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:09:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

GOD DAM ASYMPTOTES

View Quote

Sir. I can, perhaps, agree that if heat was generated by the event, this would imply that the frabric of space time has both a) measurable surface friction and, if so b) has measurable tensile strength. Is your proposal that space time has property a) and, thus, must have an estimatable young's modulus as if it were a simple sheet of paper? If so, would not sufficiently massive stars have a noticeable delta in energetic profile due to frictional heat being sourced from a friction event associated with penetration of the casimir horizon when using plate plate theory?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:10:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You are joking, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are joking, right?

Kilowatts, yes. Lol. The Taycan has a 93.4 kwh battery. you feel me. But thank you. so my math works, just not so much my words. It's been a long day.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:10:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be helpful

Nice.

I'm not sure how the station near UTC (where you see the name Lakewood Ranch) has power.  Everyone around that station is without power (son lives near that spot).

Good info though.  Lots of people in SRQ have Teslas and Taycans.

PS.  There's a Rivian Launch Edition Green Truck for sale locally.  It looks awesome.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:10:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
So a friend can go fill up a can of  electrons and bring it to you?  Wasn't aware of this technology.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So a friend can go fill up a can of  electrons and bring it to you?  Wasn't aware of this technology.

Hmmm....we never thought about that
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:10:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

GOD DAM ASYMPTOTES

View Quote

I'm down. Better than pedo Joe.

Can we divide by 0 at the same time?

Looks like electric vehicles are fine in cities but in the real world where vehicles with fur a living they are mostly useless.

I'm just still impressed with how everyone is ranting and raving how the hybrid gets 40mpg on the highway. Big whoop. A turbocharged AWD Audi with a 6 speed gets 38mpg hwy. I used to get 41mpg out of a 2004 Acura TL with a 6mt.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:14:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Sir. I can, perhaps, agree that if heat was generated by the event, this would imply that the frabric of space time has both a) measurable surface friction and, if so b) has measurable tensile strength. Is your proposal that space time has property a) and, thus, must have an estimatable young's modulus as if it were a simple sheet of paper? If so, would not sufficiently massive stars have a noticeable delta in energetic profile due to frictional heat being sourced from a friction event associated with penetration of the casimir horizon when using plate plate theory?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GOD DAM ASYMPTOTES

Definitely "a", and thus "b". I'll agree to that.

We'll get to the stars later.

Now... if someone tore time FIRST before "instantaneously" moving the gas from the Jerry can to the gas tank... you could avoid the heat generation.

But the energy required to set this up... I figure, it would be better to just use a fraction of, to charge your car!
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:15:17 PM EDT
[#47]
My little sister just arrived in Florida to prep for aid work. I dunno what's wrong with my family always going to messed up places
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:19:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:19:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Looks like electric vehicles are fine in cities but in the real world where vehicles with fur a living they are mostly useless.

I'm just still impressed with how everyone is ranting and raving how the hybrid gets 40mpg on the highway. Big whoop. A turbocharged AWD Audi with a 6 speed gets 38mpg hwy. I used to get 41mpg out of a 2004 Acura TL with a 6mt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GOD DAM ASYMPTOTES

You can't divide by 0.

But you can get really fucking close!
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:20:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top