User Panel

Site Notices
Ruger American Ranch (Page 6 of 48)
Page / 48
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 5:12:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2A373] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AeroEngineer:
That little tool looks like a must have for disassembling the bolt.
View Quote

It is not a must, but I'm guessing it probably makes it easier.

I was able to swap out my bolt handle without one by following the directions in this video.

Ruger American/Predator bolt disassembly the EASY way, with no special tools!

And Glades Armory bolt handles are a cheaper alternative to Anarchy Outdoors bolt handles.  Glades bolt handles are $55 with the knob.  Anarchy's bolt handles are $70 without a knob, knobs are $40 or more.

https://gladesarmory.com/product-category/ruger/ruger-american-centerfire-right-hand/

My X39 Ranch with Glade's 1.75″ black anodized tactical knob bolt handle.

Attachment Attached File

Compared to factory handle

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I should buy a Ranch rifle
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 6:35:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Burnsome-:
View Quote

I felt like there were lots of them around at local stores here until shortly after I started this thread.

I looked for one for a while and then ended up going a completely different direction, Uintah short-barreled bolt action upper.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By PA452:

I felt like there were lots of them around at local stores here until shortly after I started this thread.

I looked for one for a while and then ended up going a completely different direction, Uintah short-barreled bolt action upper.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It seems if you want .450 BM or 6.5 Grendel you can have your pick.

.223 and .300 Blk are out there with some looking.  

7.62x39 was nowhere (except GunBroker for the price of $1000).

Link Posted: 3/12/2022 7:56:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Does changing the cocking piece really make that big of a difference? Part of me says change it, part of me says if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 10:43:27 PM EDT
[#6]

View All Quotes

Local Sportsman's Warehouse had at least a dozen of various calibers last week.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 10:45:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Logan45:
Does changing the cocking piece really make that big of a difference? Part of me says change it, part of me says if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
View Quote

Yes....I measured my trigger pull before starting to change the cocking piece.....on 5 pulls I averaged 3.5 lbs....after the installation of the billet cocking piece I got 2.5 lb average over a half dozen pulls. the bolt operation was smoother as well.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:00:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:
They are rough around the edges and are a bit cheap but boy do they seem to perform pretty well.

To me they kind of feel like a modern Mosin Nagant.
View Quote

Funny you say that, the bolt design is very similar. Super easy to make an Obrez style gun out of a cut up receiver, since the pressure holding parts are at the front of the receiver.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:03:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PA452] [#9]
Originally Posted By gwitness:
View Quote

I ordered the Uintah quite a while ago. Just received it I think it was last week.

Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:06:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Dave_Markowitz:

With left handed actions!
View Quote

Built as a pistol!
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:12:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DarkStar:

When it comes to the bolt handle and knob check out Anarchy Outdoors, their bolt handle is perfect and they offer many different bolt knobs.  Also consider the AD Arms billet cocking piece to replace the Ruger MIM cocking piece; plenty of reports of the Ruger piece breaking.  Add the firing pin removal tool when you're ready to change out the bolt handle, it makes life simple.

https://www.anarchyoutdoors.com/

Grabbed this image while I was polishing the bolt and doing the upgrades on my Ruger American 5.56; it ended up in an AR magazine compatible MDT LSS-XL chassis.

https://i.imgur.com/AiDhLXi.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/niyVfz7.jpg

View Quote

do you ( or anyone) know if that cocking piece and handle will work with the Ranch version? What is the actual difference between the American and the American Ranch rifles? Thanks
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:13:50 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

Nothing on their site today other than 450 unobtanium
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:51:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ar556223:

do you ( or anyone) know if that cocking piece and handle will work with the Ranch version? What is the actual difference between the American and the American Ranch rifles? Thanks
View Quote

worked quite nicely on mine.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 5:40:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Mine in .300 Blackout, SBR’d to 11” and running a Dead Air Sandman L.

One of these days I’ll probably get a lighter, dedicated  can for it.

Link Posted: 3/13/2022 5:51:48 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

Barrel length and magazine type are the only differences I know of.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 6:47:28 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Caution, they are a gateway drug to buying a ranch.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 7:02:23 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

The cocking piece, bolt handle, and the upgraded aluminum bolt shroud will work with all the Ruger American rifles.  This rifle started out life as the Ruger American Ranch 5.56 #26965, the version with the bolt cut to accept AR magazines; did the bolt upgrades, threw the FDE Ruger stock in the trash and it ended up like this:

Link Posted: 3/13/2022 9:22:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By DarkStar:

The cocking piece, bolt handle, and the upgraded aluminum bolt shroud will work with all the Ruger American rifles.  This rifle started out life as the Ruger American Ranch 5.56 #26965, the version with the bolt cut to accept AR magazines; did the bolt upgrades, threw the FDE Ruger stock in the trash and it ended up like this:

https://i.imgur.com/e5huWSu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/pI6RXxF.jpg

View Quote

You know, normally I think putting a "budget" rifle like the RAR in a chassis like that is stupid.  THAT one is cool.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 10:29:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Trumpet:

You know, normally I think putting a "budget" rifle like the RAR in a chassis like that is stupid.  THAT one is cool.
View Quote

Thanks, I really like it as well.  The rifle was smooth and accurate, I just wasn't a fan of the Ruger stock; I was looking at replacement stocks and I though, why not a chassis?  MDT and Indian Creek Designs are the only 2 options for the Ruger American Ranch AR magazine 5.56 out there I'm aware of; I've got a Bergara B-14R carbon in an MDT chassis that I really like so the choice was easy.  

Link Posted: 3/13/2022 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the info...I bought a RAR in 300blk last year to sbr...haven't gotten around to filling out the form1 yet...this would be a good day for that!
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#21]
The tool helps, as prying randomly with screwdrivers is what can snap the MIM bolt cam

the part should be retracted inline with the bolt, not twisted and torqued back

when a novice "gunsmith" looks at the bolt assembly,
prying on the firing pin back cam, looks like the proper method

it is not

Link Posted: 3/13/2022 11:05:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By B2k4E:
Mine in .300 Blackout, SBR’d to 11” and running a Dead Air Sandman L.

One of these days I’ll probably get a lighter, dedicated  can for it.

View Quote

@B2k4E  Very nice!! Who did the barrel cut and threading?
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 11:14:44 AM EDT
[#23]

I ordered the Uintah quite a while ago. Just received it I think it was last week.

https://i.imgur.com/B6U2KyD.jpg
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/B6U2KyD.jpg

OP, I feel bad you started this thread considering a RAR, never got one but the thread is still going.

That’s a nice looking rig though you ended up with.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 11:23:58 AM EDT
[#25]
That little tool looks like a must have for disassembling the bolt.
View Quote

It does make it a lot easier.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By nelsd99:

@B2k4E  Very nice!! Who did the barrel cut and threading?
View Quote

@nelsd99  Thanks! Weapon Genetics down around the Houston area did the chop, thread and NFA engraving on it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 1:30:31 PM EDT
[#27]

That’s a significant change.  The stair of the parts is very different.  Makes me wonder if anything else changed.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 7:11:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By ExecutiveMendicant:

View All Quotes

Understood

I should buy a ranch for my ranch rifle.

I'm ok with that
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 1:19:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Just stuck a timney in my RAR. I need the bolt knob fancy now lol
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 1:22:44 PM EDT
[#30]

Understood

I'm ok with that
View All Quotes

Understood

I'm ok with that

No thanks.  A ranch sounds like a lot of work.  A ranch rifle just sounds like fun.  Now, if I could have a ranch rifle and free access to a ranch for hunting, now we're talking
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By 2A373:
Glades Armory bolt handles are a cheaper alternative to Anarchy Outdoors bolt handles.  Glades bolt handles are $55 with the knob.  Anarchy's bolt handles are $70 without a knob, knobs are $40 or more.

https://gladesarmory.com/product-category/ruger/ruger-american-centerfire-right-hand/

My X39 Ranch with Glade's 1.75″ black anodized tactical knob bolt handle.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54089/20210208_183559_jpg-2206102.JPG

Compared to factory handle

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54089/20210208_182916_jpg-2206103.JPG
View Quote

Those ARE attractively priced!

Thanks for posting them!
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 1:46:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By RandyMarsh:
Just stuck a timney in my RAR. I need the bolt knob fancy now lol
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/504440/4C93F2AF-58E4-43E8-8BA3-EB1EC3149263_jpe-2314334.JPG
View Quote

Looks Slick.
I'm still pretty depressed the Magpul Stocks are off the table for the x39 versions. I still need to mess with the MDT Aics mags.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 2:40:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By tep0583:

Those ARE attractively priced!

Thanks for posting them!
View Quote

I ordered three handles / knobs from Glades night before last, and accidentally ordered the wrong shape knob. I had multiple tabs open on my phone and clicked the wrong one. Noticed my mix up and sent them a message within a short time of placing the order. They replied that they would be happy the change the order, but made an unsolicited suggestion that I might like the ones I had ordered better. They are shipping me both sets with a prepaid return envelope that I can send the others back once I decide which ones I like best. They only charged me for three. Kick ass customer service that is pretty rare these days.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 3:39:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By onesureshot:

I ordered three handles / knobs from Glades night before last, and accidentally ordered the wrong shape knob. I had multiple tabs open on my phone and clicked the wrong one. Noticed my mix up and sent them a message within a short time of placing the order. They replied that they would be happy the change the order, but made an unsolicited suggestion that I might like the ones I had ordered better. They are shipping me both sets with a prepaid return envelope that I can send the others back once I decide which ones I like best. They only charged me for three. Kick ass customer service that is pretty rare these days.
View Quote

That IS great customer service!

Too bad they don't make cocking pieces, too. I'm going to replace both, if I'm going to take the bolt apart.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 3:43:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PTR32Sooner] [#35]
I’ve never understood why people will take a $400 rifle, put it in a $450 stock, add a $600-1000 scope and add a $200 trigger (prices not exact). If you are going to spend $1000+ on a rifle, just buy one

My x39 RAR cost me <$600 after vortex optic and I can hit anything out to 300-350 easily (don’t shoot it much further although I have out to 500)
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#36]
I refer to Ruger American rifles as the modern day Rem 788's, cheap and all seem to shoot well!
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 4:30:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By ourichie:
I’ve never understood why people will take a $400 rifle, put it in a $450 stock, add a $600-1000 scope and add a $200 trigger (prices not exact). If you are going to spend $1000+ on a rifle, just buy one
My x39 RAR cost me <$600 after vortex optic and I can hit anything out to 300-350 easily (don’t shoot it much further although I have out to 500)
View Quote

Building and spec'ing a rifle out yourself hits different than an off the shelf rifle.
It's Merica, sometimes you want to put lipstick on a pig.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

The stock, optic and trigger won't cost any less with a more expensive base rifle.  

To each their own.

Basically, I think people view it as buying the barrel and the action which comes with a disposable stock.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By 2Keylows:

Building and spec'ing a rifle out yourself hits different than an off the shelf rifle.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 2Keylows:

Truth there. You can drop a Leupold Mk 8 on it and it's still a $400 rifle with expensive glass

Dont get me wrong, I own two RAR's (x39 and 5.56) and a RAP (6.5) and absolutely love them. jsut cant justify putting a ton of money into one. If I am going to build a bolt gun, there are many different recv/bbl combinations I would choose.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 10:54:15 PM EDT
[#40]
My 700 buck american hunter, with a 300 buck swfa does just fine at 200 yards. $1000 bucks for a damn accurate rifle.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 10:54:27 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

Why do some men concern themselves so much on how other men spend their own money?
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 10:56:55 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

Are you talking about Ruger American Ranch rifles or about AR15s?   Add up everything you have invested in parts and optics for your ARs and odds are you can say the same thing.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 10:39:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Stopped by the LGS and asked for the Ruger by part number, no luck.   Off in the distance an employee says "we have a 556 on consignment"

$449 + background, and as of a few hours ago it is mine  

No pics of the cute gals behind the counter

Scope and suppressor suggestions are welcome, looking to eliminate predators without disturbing the chickens.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 10:43:31 PM EDT
[#44]
GAG has 7.62x39 in stock
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 10:51:45 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

Like buying an sks and then spending more money to make it look like an ak47 than it would have been to just buy the ak47 in the first place.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 1:15:41 PM EDT
[#46]
My X39 Ranch should be at my LGS on Monday.  

Apparently GAG doesn’t send a shipping notice, just an order confirmation.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 9:25:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Picked it up today.

Overall I’m very pleased with this rifle.

I gave it a good cleaning, and adjusted the trigger down to 3.75 lbs as an average pull.  

The trigger pull weights were fluctuating much more than usual on my gage, from belied 3.5 to just at 4 lbs, with 3.75 the average of 6 measurements.  

I’m going to shoot it some and then recheck the trigger weight.  To my finger, it feels pretty good now.  Not target rifle light, but appropriate for a hunting rifle.

I’m actually liking the Mini-30 mag.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 4:33:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroEngineer] [#48]
Range day with the new American Ranch.

Attachment Attached File

It was more accurate than I expected with a variety of factory 7.62x39, both brass and steel case.

The action  was rough and it was difficult to close the bolt on some cases.  The factory bolt handle did not impress.  

Here’s a YouTube video on using JB Bore Paste to lap the bolt in the action.  Any thoughts?

How to make your Ruger American Ranch BUTTER SMOOTH!
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 4:44:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Turboguy] [#49]
Range day with the new American Ranch.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/314595/2BD26BF0-4C8A-47A3-981C-EE6D2938E57D_jpe-2327111.JPG
It was more accurate than I expected with a variety of factory 7.62x39, both brass and steel case.

The action  was rough and it was difficult to close the bolt on some cases.  The factory bolt handle did not impress.  

Here’s a YouTube video on using JB Bore Paste to lap the bolt in the action.  Any thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1xsveHON-I
View Quote

I just used the grease I use on Garands and M14 and shot it/worked the action a lot. I have never had a problem closing the action on any cartridge.

If you don't have some, get yourself some Golden Tiger. Shit is pretty surprisingly accurate by the standards of that rifle, which is to say very impressive.

I wanted to enter my 527 and RAR into the "1 MOA all day challenge" and have people call BS, then let them shoot it themselves. Those rifles in 5.56 and 7.62x39 sell themselves like hotcakes.

It seems like only 300 memeout and 450BM are available and I want to find another 5.56 for a gift to a family member.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 4:58:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheWhiteHorse] [#50]
Just bought my 2nd to have fun with 300blk and my suppressor. Had it at the range today shooting subs… everyone was wondering what the fuck I was shooting that was so quiet. It was shooting 1.5 with horse shit ammo and a horseshit scope I have on it.

I put my .223 Predator on the magpul stock. It can shoot sub MOA with good loads.

They are a damn good bargain gun. I’d never hunt with it, but if I want to take out new shooters I put them on it and have a blast.
Page / 48
Ruger American Ranch (Page 6 of 48)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top