BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 12:59:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Or members could just stop being whiny little bitches. You have to fucking try to get banned from this forum.

I swear, all the negativity about the site recently is from leftist plants trying to tear this place apart.
View Quote
You realize you just called members whiny little bitches?  I wonder if you will be sanctioned?

Here is the meaningful part of CoC #6 you may have missed:
Attacking or insulting a member in an effort to elicit a negative response.You have the right to disagree, but please do so in a respectful manner.

You could have said that whole thing without inflaming matters like you just did.

Hope things get better for you.  The OP is trying to help, maybe you could take that into consideration?

Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:01:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You realize you just called members whiny little bitches?  I wonder if you will be sanctioned?

Here is the meaningful part of CoC #6 you may have missed:
Attacking or insulting a member in an effort to elicit a negative response.You have the right to disagree, but please do so in a respectful manner.

You could have said that whole thing without inflaming matters like you just did.

Hope things get better for you.  The OP is trying to help, maybe you could take that into consideration?

View Quote

Fuckin' '13ers!!!

Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:01:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ben-

You've clearly put a ton of thought into this, and it is appreciated.  I've been watching the (god knows how many) threads about member dissatisfaction, including the Hubris thread in team.

This is excellent framework. It really is.  You've stuck your neck out on countless occasions, and while you did so on a very level headed, even keeled way - you still spoke up.

This thread is not only a continuation of that, but an escalation of sorts.

Before now, I've never spoken up on site issues.  But, with all that you've exposed on all members behalf - I am doing so now.

While I 100% commend you on developing a framework that benefits not only the membership base by way of providing a grievance forum with a focused, identifiable and actionable SOP, you've also provided Admin/Staff/Mods a consolidated and direct receptacle for feedback.

I would suggest that every gripe be accompanied by corroborating evidence.

My sole concern (aside from the shitposting contingent of membership turning it into a shitshow) is that any productive and evidentiary grievance aired, will be met with Admin/ Staff dismissiveness.

I don't mention dismissiveness in a defensive way. I say it as a relatively quiet, non-boat rocking member that observes more than they speak. My concern is that a clear patern of issues that are demonstrated with corroborated evidence will be met with:

Standing high atop the Capitol steps

"Citizens of Arfcom!  We must unite in these trying times..."

Where, in reality, it needs to be:

Rolls up shirtsleeves, laces up work boots and steps onto the jobsite/ production floor.

" alright guys, things aren't going right - what do we need to do to turn things around.  You're the front line.  What are you seeing?"

THAT is what is missing, in my opinion.  Not just acceptance of member input, be execution of their recommendations.

And I say that not only in a tool/ tech implementation aspect, but as a personnel// staffing concern.

I lead organizations.

When there is turmult, it is necessary to listen to those involved/ affected in order to identify, isolate and eliminate the source of contention. Sometimes that's not possible.  Many times it is.  It may be difficult, but it it a possible.  Nothing happens in a vacuum, and what may seem reasonable in a conference room, may not translate well on a sales floor.

When those (rare) occasions occur in my orgs, I suck it up, meet with the teams, and without calling out any individual specifically, acknowledge that there have been mistakes made and ultimately, the buck stops here.  Changes will be made and new policies/ procedures/ tools implemented to ensure that they don't reoccur, and to better enable the front lines (in this case, membership) can continue on and succeed.

I hope you have buy-in from Admin/ Staff that it is a reciprocal/ 2-way street where member input results in substantive change, less dismissiveness, or worse, retribution,  

{preparing myself for imminent ban}
View Quote

This is a great post that I should not ignore.
As you have said this thread in an escalation of sorts. It is also a chance to add to the solution.
I am very glad you decided to join in its good to learn what people have to say.
I'm not against evidence though I do see  the complaint providing the evidence. That is to say if the problem can't be articulated then the argument is weak to start with.
Yes being dissisive is seen as a problem but I have no real answer other than it provides admin a look at what is thought to be good and bad. I cannot suggest thing to override admin.
Thank you and I may ask you to help if this moves forward.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:02:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Fuckin' '13ers!!!

View Quote
13'ers are the worst
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:02:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Or members could just stop being whiny little bitches. You have to fucking try to get banned from this forum.

I swear, all the negativity about the site recently is from leftist plants trying to tear this place apart.
View Quote
You are missing a part that I wish I could better explain but I can't.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:02:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Kind of like a union rep. that goes in to help you when you are suspended for shooting someone.
View Quote

Show me in the contract where it says you can't shoot someone.

Well, that stays not to stab anyone, not shoot.

What spirit of the article ? You want it changed, bargain that at the next contract negotiations.

Easy
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:03:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

always got your back dogg. Here, there, anywhere

https://static.stereogum.com/uploads/2014/09/Stagedive.jpg
View Quote
Don't back me because of words back me when its a good belief. When it isn't speak up.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:05:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a few questions:

So, this is just a discussion forum, right?  And the discussions can be initiated by anyone?  By the person warned/locked/banned, or by just another member, or by the moderator/staff?

And, there's no process here for the warning/lock/ban to be overturned, right?  Except by levelheaded and respectful discussion that convinces mods/staff to change their initial decision?

And, other than the membership (and perhaps length of membership) requirement, anyone can participate in these discussions, including the locked/banned folks?

If they answer to all of these is yes, and the civility rules from the Team forum are also in place along with the original 8, then I think this is a great idea.  I'm sure it can be refined further, but I like the way this proposal is headed.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:05:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Don't back me because of words back me when its a good belief. When it isn't speak up.
View Quote

Careful what you wish for.

Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:06:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Haven't read the rest of the pages yet, but I would also add that paying members need to be accounts older than 30 days.

Otherwise, I'm proud of your effort here Ben.  Good work!
View Quote
There should be a fight on that. I don't like the exclusion but its a very valid argument.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:06:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:07:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I meant new people as site staff, especially the ones who have been in that position for over 10 years. It's time for a change in that regard - just my opinion in the matter.
View Quote
I like the on then off approach.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:09:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Since this is more sourced from GD (and by extension, Team, I guess), I'm going to keep my opinions to myself unless asked to share them by the GD folks.  My tech areas are doing okay, I think, so lets focus on getting the GD crew and GD management team together.

I'm just glad to see adult conversation and not poo flinging.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's nice to see constructive conversation, even the cynical posts have been mostly supportive of the idea from what I saw.

Don't just get your toes wet jump in.

Since this is more sourced from GD (and by extension, Team, I guess), I'm going to keep my opinions to myself unless asked to share them by the GD folks.  My tech areas are doing okay, I think, so lets focus on getting the GD crew and GD management team together.

Nowadays it all depends on who initiates the conversation as to who's poo will be flung and how far it will be flung and where it will be flung to

Being as you are SS, I'm sure any additions to the site you will be voting on, so why not add your opinion rather than what everyone else is doing by saying "great idea" but with no input whether or not that particular idea will pass their own SS scrutiny when discussing with GB ?

I just get this image of SS forum laughing at all this and going, "Ya, right just let them go lol "

I fully expect any actions or forums that are for second guessing any Mods or SS actions will not be allowed, it undermines the whole command structure.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:11:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Nowadays it all depends on who initiates the conversation as to who's poo will be flung and how far it will be flung and where it will be flung to
View Quote

One man's poo is another man's Christmas decoration.

Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:11:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I get that, but what you're asking for is a pipedream that will probably never happen. However, with my idea of splitting the staff/mods into 2 teams and having 1 take take over for 6 months, then hand it off to the other for the next 6 months would atleast be a feasible start and possibly help with burnout. Not saying it will solve every issue, but its a start and I think would be a fair offer.
View Quote
Admiral King had his subordinates do time at sea against Japan then time ashore planning to give all of them experience and knowledge. I think that is a good approach but this thread isn't for that. It is for the grievance forum.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:13:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Great idea Ben, glad to see someone is concerned about the direction of the site and articulate enough to explore solutions....  
View Quote
Thank you. I just did what some are thinking. Many others can do this and much better than me.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:15:10 AM EDT
[#17]
What’s with all this civility? Where am I?
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:15:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I know. A forum like that is just not the place for me. When I eventually get banned, I'll just move on. Maybe finally go back to that Blog I started years ago.

I think it would be degrading to plead for my account back, publicly or privately.  This place was here for years before I joined, and it will probably continue to exist after I'm gone.

View Quote
You would excel in the forum. You can see problems and express that problem.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:16:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

ARFCOMtivusa Forum for the rest of us!

1.  Put a Bolt Face in a bag and nail it to the wall (which is considered "the true symbol of ARFCOMtivus").

2. Sit down at a Computer.

3. Before browsing post the Airing of Grievances, an opportunity to tell Staff how they have disappointed you in the past year.

4. Enjoy ARFCOMtivus posts.

5. Amid post, the Feats of Strength begin, where Staff must be trolled by other team members. The honor goes to someone in the thread.

6.  ARFCOMtivus is not over until the Sr Staff locks someone!
View Quote
The hell are you going on about"?
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:17:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What’s with all this civility? Where am I?
View Quote

I was just flinging poo with the other guy in NY, so there is that.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:17:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I, unfortunately, have a hard time forgetting things. I am too good, for my own good, at recognizing patterns.
View Quote
Patterns are what got me here.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:18:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not It!!!

View Quote
Does the phrase voluntold ring a bell?
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:19:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or crayon.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:20:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I love ya, Ben!

No Homo!!!

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:23:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Careful what you wish for.

View Quote
You know damn well at some point there needs to be an argument. If you want to be that part then I am game. No reason to dodge when you think you are right.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:26:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
No you are staff and have that experience that few of us have. I need staffers to say know on things that might be unhealthy. If not I'm calling Subnet in here and he will be the singular voice of staff.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:26:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Not at all and it has been covered.
View Quote

I was joking, he asked me to define shitbird in team.  Same as he did here.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:28:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What's with all this civility? Where am I?
View Quote
You are with the missile

The Missile Knows Where It Is...

Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:28:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ARFCOMtivusa Forum for the rest of us!

1.  Put a Bolt Face in a bag and nail it to the wall (which is considered "the true symbol of ARFCOMtivus").

2. Sit down at a Computer.

3. Before browsing post the Airing of Grievances, an opportunity to tell Staff how they have disappointed you in the past year.

4. Enjoy ARFCOMtivus posts.

5. Amid post, the Feats of Strength begin, where Staff must be trolled by other team members. The honor goes to someone in the thread.

6.  ARFCOMtivus is not over until the Sr Staff locks someone!

The rules for your, “Grievance”. Forum!

Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:29:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I was joking, he asked me to define shitbird in team.  Same as he did here.
View Quote
Yeah I saw that later
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:30:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The rules of you, "Grievance". Forum!
View Quote
Can you be a bit more direct
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:30:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Well, I'm surprised by the apathy so far. I guess it's more fun to bitch than make suggestions. Sorry, I'm a cynic.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:31:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Well, I'm surprised by the apathy so far. I guess it's more fun to bitch than make suggestions. Sorry, I'm a cynic.
View Quote
Its gone better than I thought it would. You have some points.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:35:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Thank you to everyone. I'm out to get some sleep.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:40:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ya, I am thinking at this point the whole thing is just a relief valve.

One question must be answered first :

Will this "grievance" forum be created ? Just need a yes or no.

We have not heard an answer, just a lot of patting on heads and good boy type of responses.

If we can't create this forum, this whole thread should be nuked ASAP because it serves absolutely no purpose at that point other than a relief valve.

Personally, I think that GB has already decided what he is going to do and is somewhat looking for ideas from us, but too much input would be seen as inmates running the asylum and SS/Mods will lose faith in Admin.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:46:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Ya, I am thinking at this point the whole thing is just a relief valve.

One question must be answered first :

Will this "grievance" forum be created ? Just need a yes or no.

We have not heard an answer, just a lot of patting on heads and good boy type of responses.

If we can't create this forum, this whole thread should be nuked ASAP because it serves absolutely no purpose at that point other than a relief valve.

Personally, I think that GB has already decided what he is going to do and is somewhat looking for ideas from us, but too much input would be seen as inmates running the asylum and SS/Mods will lose faith in Admin.
View Quote
The idea is there the group can push. Don't think that it cannot happen. I cannot make it happen but a large group can.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:48:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This just a suggestion and I would like some input from anyone who wants to on how to make this idea better. If you do comment please don't make this about attacking the site, mods, staff or admin. This is meant to help all of us.

If you like it say so. If you don't say why. If you want to add something please do and add why.  If you think something is wrong say why it is.

A suggestion for the grievance forum

I would like for anyone that wants to to come in here and help with the writing of rules, format and anything else that such a place will need.

Rules for the place

1 No bashing of any mod, staff or member.   This is probably the most important if such a place is to succeed.

2 It should be be open to all members and possibly banned members also.  There is no point in having discussions if relevant parties cannot attend.

3 As of right now the membership cannot overturn a decision made by mods, staff or admin. No point in trying to have a conversation if it can be undermined  by a mob.

4 What can be discussed in the forum. Its open to bans warnings and general problems.

5 What cannot be discussed here.  Membership problems. This will not be the place for problems between the general membership. That will just clog up the place and cause unneeded problems.

6 What can be done to those that cannot follow rules here. First asked to behave, second removal from thread and third if a member continues to be abusive or a consistent problem they may be removed banned from the forum. The forum will not be allowed to be used for abuse and general asshatery.

7 How long can a thread run. Threads will have one week to be discussed.  After the thread is closed unless progress is being made at which the thread may be allowed to continue.

8 What happens when a mod or staff is unavailable? If a mod or staff in unavailable then another mod or staff may step in and reply. The mod or staff that is the subject of the thread is always allowed to correct any statement of a substitute mod or staff.

9 When a member is not replying. A member is responsible for timely replies in the thread they started. If the member becomes absent repeatedly the right to post in the forum may be removed.

This was a suggestion for a change on 8

8 What happens when a mod or staff is unavailable? If a mod or staff in unavailable then another mod or staff may step in and reply. The mod or staff that is the subject of the thread is always allowed to correct any statement of a substitute mod or staff."  I think there is a distinction to be made between Staff who sets policy and Mods who execute policy. Mods should only speak to "here is the policy we execute, and here's the guidance Staff gives us about how to execute those policies."  Only Staff should speak to "here's why the policy is this way."  Think of it as the difference between cops and legislatures.  Legislature passes the law, cops enforce the law.  Each is going to have a different perspective on why the law is versus how to execute the law -- and you get nowhere arguing with a cop for a change in the law.  Similarly, you get nowhere arguing with a Mod for a change in policy.  That's Site Staff's job.
View Quote

Good work. I like it.

I like the change to 8.

I think 4 and 5 may need clarifying. Describe the difference between general problems and membership problems.

Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:50:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 2:04:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Just a thought for the Grievance Forum;

If member "xxx556" (hope there's not 1 here, lol), catches a ban & wants to challenge it.

One of the first things posted (before anyone jumps on the bandwagon, or starts circling the wagons),
is the members "record".  Not specifics (pictures, posts, etc...), but type of violation & date.

Which the member would agree to have posted (made public) & obviously if staff agrees to doing it.

Such as;

1/2017- coc#7

5/2017- coc#2

3/2018 - coc#4

etc...

That gives some transparency to what has occurred, w/o airing dirty laundry.

If xxx556 is a 15 yr member, & most of the members are unaware of his 16 warnings or locks, that gives some
insight into his patterns.  Might ease some of the thoughts of "unfair ban", before many jump on the bandwagon.

OTOH, if he has 2 warnings during that 15 yrs, that may tell another story.  

If xxx556 truly feels he was unfairly banned or locked, he should have no problem with his record being shown.

If he messed up, & knows he deserves it (presuming he understands accountability, choices & consequences), & has
a history, he's probably not going to want it aired.  

That may prevent some of the "15 yr member xxx556 was BANNED, this is **%%$$###***&" threads.

A couple of other things to go along with this -

1st - if a member gets a warning they believe is undeserved - grieve it, question it, go up the chain of command as has been mentioned
several times. Get an answer, get it resolved.

2nd - if this grievance forum comes to be - and there is a dedicated place to air this - don't allow threads such as the 1 I listed above
to carry on in GD.   They usually just cause more tension, stress, & spread a lot of misinformation.  

Just a thought, YMMV
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 2:07:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Overall, I like it. It's a good place to start.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 2:11:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I felt a disturbance in the force...

Nobody wants me to be the final word on anything.

It's late, and I don't have anything intelligent to add right now. I will tomorrow. But I will say this - I really appreciate what you're doing, and why you're doing it. You rock. More thoughts tomorrow.

And again - Thank you.
View Quote
Yes I used the Subthreat
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 2:14:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Just a thought for the Grievance Forum;

If member "xxx556" (hope there's not 1 here, lol), catches a ban & wants to challenge it.

One of the first things posted (before anyone jumps on the bandwagon, or starts circling the wagons),
is the members "record".  Not specifics (pictures, posts, etc...), but type of violation & date.

Which the member would agree to have posted (made public) & obviously if staff agrees to doing it.

Such as;

1/2017- coc#7

5/2017- coc#2

3/2018 - coc#4

etc...

That gives some transparency to what has occurred, w/o airing dirty laundry.

If xxx556 is a 15 yr member, & most of the members are unaware of his 16 warnings or locks, that gives some
insight into his patterns.  Might ease some of the thoughts of "unfair ban", before many jump on the bandwagon.

OTOH, if he has 2 warnings during that 15 yrs, that may tell another story.  

If xxx556 truly feels he was unfairly banned or locked, he should have no problem with his record being shown.

If he messed up, & knows he deserves it (presuming he understands accountability, choices & consequences), & has
a history, he's probably not going to want it aired.  

That may prevent some of the "15 yr member xxx556 was BANNED, this is **%%$$###***&" threads.

A couple of other things to go along with this -

1st - if a member gets a warning they believe is undeserved - grieve it, question it, go up the chain of command as has been mentioned
several times. Get an answer, get it resolved.

2nd - if this grievance forum comes to be - and there is a dedicated place to air this - don't allow threads such as the 1 I listed above
to carry on in GD.   They usually just cause more tension, stress, & spread a lot of misinformation.  

Just a thought, YMMV
View Quote
valid points all of that should considered. I'm tired and can't think in straight enough terms to answer you well. If I don't give an answer tomorrow quote me and lets do it again.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 2:15:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Overall, I like it. It's a good place to start.
View Quote
That ois what this is a starting point.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 2:15:57 AM EDT
[#44]
I'd want to be able to see the entire discipline record the the account being grieved. Context and record matters.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 2:26:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'd want to be able to see the entire discipline record the the account being grieved. Context and record matters.
View Quote

You're correct, but I figured that probably wouldn't fly
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 2:31:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
That is very much part of it. Also if a banned person is crying without real cause they get exposed also.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's about bringing a little openness to the locking/ banning process, if mod or SS can't back it up publicly then it's a shitty lock/ban, most members wouldn't submit themselves to an open process if they behaved in a shitty way as well as a mod/staff member
That is very much part of it. Also if a banned person is crying without real cause they get exposed also.

Thank you Ben. Your points are well thought out. You are a true asset to the community. (Don't listen to him after 4am though )

What Stutzmech posted is the crux. Why people and the frequency are in that position can be addressed a little later. This could be a great start to right the ship.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 3:02:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Nicely put together and thought out Ben
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 3:09:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Good work Ben.  A great starter package there.  You have put considerable thought into this.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/3/2021 3:13:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Another pit?
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 3:15:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Just get rid of GD.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top