Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 3:16:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Or members could just stop being whiny little bitches. You have to fucking try to get banned from this forum.

I swear, all the negativity about the site recently is from leftist plants trying to tear this place apart.
View Quote

This is where I'm at. At the end of the day, it's the internet. It's a stupid thing to get so worked up over a privately owned site operating as the owners see fit. The fact that there are even comments saying there should be term limits to staff, the members should vote on banned members coming back etc, is absolutely laughable
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 3:39:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just a thought for the Grievance Forum;

If member "xxx556" (hope there's not 1 here, lol), catches a ban & wants to challenge it.

One of the first things posted (before anyone jumps on the bandwagon, or starts circling the wagons),
is the members "record".  Not specifics (pictures, posts, etc...), but type of violation & date.

Which the member would agree to have posted (made public) & obviously if staff agrees to doing it.

Such as;

1/2017- coc#7

5/2017- coc#2

3/2018 - coc#4

etc...

That gives some transparency to what has occurred, w/o airing dirty laundry.

If xxx556 is a 15 yr member, & most of the members are unaware of his 16 warnings or locks, that gives some
insight into his patterns.  Might ease some of the thoughts of "unfair ban", before many jump on the bandwagon.

OTOH, if he has 2 warnings during that 15 yrs, that may tell another story.  

If xxx556 truly feels he was unfairly banned or locked, he should have no problem with his record being shown.

If he messed up, & knows he deserves it (presuming he understands accountability, choices & consequences), & has
a history, he's probably not going to want it aired.  

That may prevent some of the "15 yr member xxx556 was BANNED, this is **%%$$###***&" threads.

A couple of other things to go along with this -

1st - if a member gets a warning they believe is undeserved - grieve it, question it, go up the chain of command as has been mentioned
several times. Get an answer, get it resolved.

2nd - if this grievance forum comes to be - and there is a dedicated place to air this - don't allow threads such as the 1 I listed above
to carry on in GD.   They usually just cause more tension, stress, & spread a lot of misinformation.  

Just a thought, YMMV
View Quote

I'd rather see the violation in its original form.  A list of CoC 7 ,2, and 4 doesn't mean much without the context it was given in.  I also can't see how this would work if the thread the violation happened in was nuked.

Link Posted: 12/3/2021 4:33:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You would excel in the forum. You can see problems and express that problem.
View Quote

But if nobody listens, it just gets frustrating.

Based on my experience, no matter how much effort I put into explaining things, they won't listen. As I said earlier,  the wagons are already circled. I'm too old to think that beating my head against the wall feels good.

But, thank you anyway.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 4:45:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the sentiment but the two things I'm looking at are value added and potential detriments.

Is this going to help the forum overall or will this be a temporary feel-good measure?

How much time can mods really put into a new section dedicated to people expressing their grievances?

Should Arfcom look at "hiring" new mods specifically for this section or are they going to spread the workload across existing mods?

In regard to "When a member is not replying. A member is responsible for timely replies in the thread they started. If the member becomes absent repeatedly the right to post in the forum may be removed." What happens if/when a mod can't reply in a timely manner? Will another thread be created complaining about that? (I'm being facetious but you get the point)

Link Posted: 12/3/2021 4:52:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This is where I'm at. At the end of the day, it's the internet. It's a stupid thing to get so worked up over a privately owned site operating as the owners see fit. The fact that there are even comments saying there should be term limits to staff, the members should vote on banned members coming back etc, is absolutely laughable
View Quote

My first Warning was for responding to someone that had first attacked me. I didn't agree (and told the Mod so at the time) but I learned and moved on.

Warnings 2 - 4 were for cracking jokes that a Mod or Site Staff had their Feelz hurt over. Since cracking jokes is my raison d'etre for being here, that's when I realized that my Banning from the Kinder and Gentler Arfcom will sooner or later be inevitable. I've made peace with that.

I don't bother arguing in the heated threads. Nobody will change their mind so there's no point in getting worked up. So I either just avoid the obviously confrontational threads or leave when they turn that way. None of that is that important to me. It's a mindset that had served me well... up until this year.

Link Posted: 12/3/2021 5:07:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My first Warning was for responding to someone that had first attacked me. I didn't agree (and told the Mod so at the time) but I learned and moved on.

Warnings 2 - 4 were for cracking jokes that a Mod or Site Staff had their Feelz hurt over. Since cracking jokes is my raison d'etre for being here, that's when I realized that my Banning from the Kinder and Gentler Arfcom will sooner or later be inevitable. I've made peace with that.

I don't bother arguing in the heated threads. Nobody will change their mind so there's no point in getting worked up. So I either just avoid the obviously confrontational threads or leave when they turn that way. None of that is that important to me. It's a mindset that had served me well... up until this year.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At the end of the day, you (the collective you), who are in control over your feelings, emotions, and actions. Getting worked up over a virtual space on the internet, baffles me. I've been here going I. 10 years. So far as I know I have absolutely no warnings. It's not hard to not get warned or banned, just don't do dumb shit
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 5:14:36 AM EDT
[#7]
The issue is the same people who can’t objectively and consistently enforce the coc now will be the ones enforcing your rules. It doesn’t fix anything. Your first rule will be used as a scapegoat to shut anything down.

Classic example:  mod makes an ass of himself, somebody wants to point it out, locked for mod bashing.

If previous behavior is any indication this won’t be any sort of fix.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 5:34:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

At the end of the day, you (the collective you), who are in control over your feelings, emotions, and actions. Getting worked up over a virtual space on the internet, baffles me. I've been here going I. 10 years. So far as I know I have absolutely no warnings. It's not hard to not get warned or banned, just don't do dumb shit
View Quote

You might be amazed.

Of my latest two Warnings, one was for posting "Missed it by that much." Not even the Meme, just those words.

Link Posted: 12/3/2021 5:57:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You might be amazed.

Of my latest two Warnings, one was for posting "Missed it by that much." Not even the Meme, just those words.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might be amazed.

That means nothing without context
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 6:00:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Motorcycle "daredevil" splatted himself during an attempted jump. Not an Arfcom member or relative or friend of one.

I made my post in response.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 6:23:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I have an organizational suggestion. It may be a good idea to have a main "grievance" forum and divide it into 2 subforums, a general forum and a forum strictly for appeals where only the aggrieved parties can post.

That gives you transparency for appeals so that members get a fair shake and mods/staff can't be misrepresented later. And a separate forum for members/mods/staff to hash out other issues, answer questions, and hopefully make progress on some things.

Anyway, I really like the idea. Once it settles in I think it'll help rebuild the relationship and understanding and ease some frustration. I hope GB can find a way to make it work.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 6:36:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Motorcycle "daredevil" splatted himself during an attempted jump. Not an Arfcom member or relative or friend of one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think making fun of someone dying had always been frowned upon here but I could be wrong
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 6:54:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I like the concept. Thanks for taking the time to formulate and post.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 6:58:23 AM EDT
[#14]
A little transparency goes a long way. Maybe Ben’s proposal will help facilitate that.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 7:15:31 AM EDT
[#15]
A separate forum would be like giving your kid brother a Nintendo controller that isn't plugged in. The only time they address anything is when it clogs up GD.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 8:05:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The main issue is to stop the war between SS/mods and members, if you don't it will cripple this place
View Quote

Communication between members and staff/mods is a good thing. Transparency on both sides is a good thing.

A forum such as this *could* be a positive step forward if people don't get absorbed by the minutia and try to be barracks house lawyers. Well, that and all the folks who see liberal commie shareblue plots behind every tree in the forest.

@m35ben thanks for your work on this and effort to put it together. More thoughts inbound.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 8:12:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 8:22:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Yer knot migh supervizor!!!

I say,  lettem crash.

It sounds like a civil pit.

It sounds like a good idea.

But whos gonna want to air grieviances / and whats the offender gonna want to do in an all member visible thread?

Which mod is gonna field reponses for general complaints?  It could get spicy.  Quick.

I imagine the powers that be would want to keep issues in a private discussion.

Just a couple thoughts.

And I like your initiative and desire to better the place.

Link Posted: 12/3/2021 9:03:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thank you Ben. Your points are well thought out. You are a true asset to the community. (Don't listen to him after 4am though )

What Stutzmech posted is the crux. Why people and the frequency are in that position can be addressed a little later. This could be a great start to right the ship.
View Quote
Stutz is worth listening to.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 9:03:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Nicely put together and thought out Ben
View Quote
Thank you
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 9:03:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Another pit?
View Quote
no
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 9:04:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just get rid of GD.
View Quote
no
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 9:05:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'd rather see the violation in its original form.  A list of CoC 7 ,2, and 4 doesn't mean much without the context it was given in.  I also can't see how this would work if the thread the violation happened in was nuked.

View Quote
Some things will need to worked out.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 9:06:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
But whos gonna want to air grieviances...
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/3/2021 9:07:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

But if nobody listens, it just gets frustrating.

Based on my experience, no matter how much effort I put into explaining things, they won't listen. As I said earlier,  the wagons are already circled. I'm too old to think that beating my head against the wall feels good.

But, thank you anyway.
View Quote
Remember the audience will be smaller in the forum and it will be harder to ignore.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 9:09:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You might be amazed.

View Quote

Cracking jokes is no laughing matter .
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 9:16:50 AM EDT
[#27]
The OP sounds as if he cares about the site and it’s members. Kudos to the OP. The future of Arfcom is up to GoatBoy. Let’s all hope he implements much needed change before it’s too late.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 9:20:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I like the sentiment but the two things I'm looking at are value added and potential detriments.

Is this going to help the forum overall or will this be a temporary feel-good measure?

How much time can mods really put into a new section dedicated to people expressing their grievances?

Should Arfcom look at "hiring" new mods specifically for this section or are they going to spread the workload across existing mods?

In regard to "When a member is not replying. A member is responsible for timely replies in the thread they started. If the member becomes absent repeatedly the right to post in the forum may be removed." What happens if/when a mod can't reply in a timely manner? Will another thread be created complaining about that? (I'm being facetious but you get the point)

View Quote
your 1st point: I think it can do good and not be a feel good thing.  Time can only tell.
2nd I have no idea and them talking about this will help to understand how to make time.
3rd I'm going to guess there will be some new mods and maybe staff. That is an admin thing though.
4th I think there could be another thread started but caution should be used as not to start being seen as abusing the forum or members or mods and staff.

Link Posted: 12/3/2021 9:22:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The issue is the same people who can't objectively and consistently enforce the coc now will be the ones enforcing your rules. It doesn't fix anything. Your first rule will be used as a scapegoat to shut anything down.

Classic example:  mod makes an ass of himself, somebody wants to point it out, locked for mod bashing.

If previous behavior is any indication this won't be any sort of fix.
View Quote
No on that. It will depend on how the mod acts of course. Having the thread in the forum can be used to show a pattern of behavior.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 9:25:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just get rid of GD.
View Quote

This place survives because of the knowledge base of the tech forums and the traffic that flows through GD. It's not going to survive without either. Traffic =  ad money. I'm sure they'd like to excise GD but they know they can't.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 9:25:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A separate forum would be like giving your kid brother a Nintendo controller that isn't plugged in. The only time they address anything is when it clogs up GD.
View Quote
This suggestion isn't the end all of all discontent. It will never be prefect but it will push problem solving forward.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 9:27:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That's been the downfall of several previous transparency attempts. I'm up for discussing things that I'm involved in where permitted, and don't mind hearing all opinions on it, but when it turns into an endless string of "how can you do this to X when Y clearly said the same thing in this archived post without being sanctioned at all?", I'm out.
View Quote
that is going to require work and time. Its one of the things I cannot write away with rules.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 9:27:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

" target="_blank">
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/3/2021 9:28:08 AM EDT
[#34]
GD really isnt very interesting anymore.

too much whining.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 9:28:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Yer knot migh supervizor!!!

I say,  lettem crash.

It sounds like a civil pit.

It sounds like a good idea.

But whos gonna want to air grieviances / and whats the offender gonna want to do in an all member visible thread?

Which mod is gonna field reponses for general complaints?  It could get spicy.  Quick.

I imagine the powers that be would want to keep issues in a private discussion.

Just a couple thoughts.

And I like your initiative and desire to better the place.

View Quote
The poption for emails and IMs should always be thre if there is a privacy concern.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just get rid of GD.
View Quote

Lol. GD is this place’s moneymaker. It’s never going away.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 9:29:22 AM EDT
[#37]
A big bole should be in the background of the forum.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 9:30:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Okay I'm off to work. I'll try to check in during the day.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 10:02:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The poption for emails and IMs should always be thre if there is a privacy concern.
View Quote
That's how I envisioned it.

Question: If a member opts to take an appeal public, does his private correspondence on the issue then become admissible?

Link Posted: 12/3/2021 10:41:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nods sagely, thinking if the lifer thread.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 11:17:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Why would you spend you time helping someone else get rich and do it for free? In the last 20 years this site has grown and shrunk. Limiting free speech and zealous member banning is the final nail in the coffin.

You would be better off starting your own forum and finding a way to focus on members, not advertisers.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
That's how I envisioned it.

Question: If a member opts to take an appeal public, does his private correspondence on the issue then become admissible?

View Quote
I think that could be if only the member brings it up.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 11:40:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Why would you spend you time helping someone else get rich and do it for free? In the last 20 years this site has grown and shrunk. Limiting free speech and zealous member banning is the final nail in the coffin.

You would be better off starting your own forum and finding a way to focus on members, not advertisers.
View Quote
I don't care  if the owners are making money. That is their concern not mine and frankly none of our business.
The free speech is a different issue than what we are tackling here.

Edited for better clarity.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 12:34:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You're right you're no attorney
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not necessarily,  I'm no attorney, but if you keep charging for the same apparent crime and it keeps getting appealed  maybe you stop trying to charge for that apparent crime.

You're right you're no attorney

Wait, I thought he had a good point there.

Based on what I've read, if I'm reading it right, this idea sounds a lot like our judicial system.

If a cop kept arresting people for yelling wolverines as they drove by, and the charges kept getting thrown out, and arrestees got a 6 month to a year free membership for their trouble, maybe arrests would decrease?
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 12:37:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I think this would be a good idea, as long as staff and moderators aren't allowed to move threads into the grievance forum.  I wouldn't want it to become a dumping place for threads they don't want to deal with in GD.
View Quote
Just now seeing this thread; got some catching up to do.

But I wanted to note I like this idea, as well as the idea you need to be a registered member to see this forum.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 12:44:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This occurred to me: include rules similar to Team forum rules:

Don't post anything in here that is a direct, obvious CoC violation.

Don't post anything in here that any reasonable human wouldn't say to another human being face to face when meeting them for the first time.

That's it. Really. Be nice, respectful, offer good solid informed advice, keep your mouth shut when you have nothing of actual value to add to a conversation, and you will never have a problem with us
View Quote
And that would preclude moving threads from GD as they would likely contain some non-complaint posts.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:14:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Arfcom could stand to learn a thing or two from watching Family Guy.

Bob: Outrageous, How dare he say such blasphemy! I've got to do something.
Man: Bob, there's nothing you can do.
Bob: Well I guess I'll just have to develop a sense of humor.

Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:52:07 PM EDT
[#48]
I think it's a good idea. Thanks for the effort Ben.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 2:13:55 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm going to have to chew on this one a while, but I'll offer some off the cuff feedback.

Sylvan is a pretty smart guy and he said something a while back during a conversation about DoD acquisitions that kind of stuck with me.  Paraphrasing, he basically said that everyone gets it wrong because they get focused on purchasing a product instead of purchasing an effect.  In the end they spend a bunch of money for a product that never seems to fit the role for which it was intended.  I kind of feel like that is where we are at with this idea.  It looks good on paper, but what is the specific effect that is desired, and will this solution deliver that effect?  It is okay if the answers to those questions are "I don't know" and "No" at this point because this is all being fleshed out.

I would like to propose a concept of something similar, but different.  Use a new forum as an analog of the recycle bin on your computer.  Locked/banned account goes in and has a chance to work the situation out with mod/staff participation, hopefully directly with the particular mod/staff that did the lock/ban.  If the situation gets resolved in a satisfactory manner, the account is removed from the 'recycle bin' and rejoins the general population.  If the situation cannot be resolved then the lock/ban stays in place.  For locks, that would last for the duration of the lock.  Bans would become permanent, or as permanent as 'permabans' are as they exist today.  Goatboy has assured us that there is a path to redemption in most cases.

In practice this could be implemented by locking the locked/banned account out of everything except the recycle bin, or making that the only forum visible to the account.  The notification message for the lock/ban could be amended to direct the member to the forum and encourage their participation if they wish to appeal or discuss the disciplinary action.  Staff could potentially oversee and notify mods that their presence is required if they are not hatching the forum.  Actually, I like the concept of Staff directing traffic for this use case as it takes it out of the hands of mods who would most likely be engaged directly in conversation with testy users.  I think it would potentially add an insulating layer that may allow for a more dispassionate view on how things progress.

This would specifically address the issue of users emailing or IM'ing a mod or staff about their action and having that correspondence go into a black hole.  This places it out in the open, with Staff oversight.  

Obviously there is a lot more work to do to flesh it out before it resembles a solution to anything, but I present it as an idea and basic concept framework.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 2:26:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'm going to have to chew on this one a while, but I'll offer some off the cuff feedback.

Sylvan is a pretty smart guy and he said something a while back during a conversation about DoD acquisitions that kind of stuck with me.  Paraphrasing, he basically said that everyone gets it wrong because they get focused on purchasing a product instead of purchasing an effect.  In the end they spend a bunch of money for a product that never seems to fit the role for which it was intended.  I kind of feel like that is where we are at with this idea.  It looks good on paper, but what is the specific effect that is desired, and will this solution deliver that effect?  It is okay if the answers to those questions are "I don't know" and "No" at this point because this is all being fleshed out.

I would like to propose a concept of something similar, but different.  Use a new forum as an analog of the recycle bin on your computer.  Locked/banned account goes in and has a chance to work the situation out with mod/staff participation, hopefully directly with the particular mod/staff that did the lock/ban.  If the situation gets resolved in a satisfactory manner, the account is removed from the 'recycle bin' and rejoins the general population.  If the situation cannot be resolved then the lock/ban stays in place.  For locks, that would last for the duration of the lock.  Bans would become permanent, or as permanent as 'permabans' are as they exist today.  Goatboy has assured us that there is a path to redemption in most cases.

In practice this could be implemented by locking the locked/banned account out of everything except the recycle bin, or making that the only forum visible to the account.  The notification message for the lock/ban could be amended to direct the member to the forum and encourage their participation if they wish to appeal or discuss the disciplinary action.  Staff could potentially oversee and notify mods that their presence is required if they are not hatching the forum.  Actually, I like the concept of Staff directing traffic for this use case as it takes it out of the hands of mods who would most likely be engaged directly in conversation with testy users.  I think it would potentially add an insulating layer that may allow for a more dispassionate view on how things progress.

This would specifically address the issue of users emailing or IM'ing a mod or staff about their action and having that correspondence go into a black hole.  This places it out in the open, with Staff oversight.  

Obviously there is a lot more work to do to flesh it out before it resembles a solution to anything, but I present it as an idea and basic concept framework.
View Quote
A good idea. Maybe it could be separate from the other and just for banned members.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top