Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 34
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 10:40:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Wouldn’t a tsunami dissipate most of its energy and size before hitting the USA from the Canary Islands?

Unless is some sort of massive super volcano ??
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 10:51:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wouldn’t a tsunami dissipate most of its energy and size before hitting the USA from the Canary Islands?

View Quote

If we are talking about a massive volcanic/earthquake event then no. Pretty sure in the geologic record this has happened before and it sent massive sweeping tsunamis across the ocean.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 11:11:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Still spewing...
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 11:20:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I don’t support anything I’m just here for the violence/ apocalypse
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 11:27:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Maybe we get lucky and California breaks off Into the ocean right after.
View Quote

2fer!

learn to swim!
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 11:45:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If Manhattan were gone, the liberal world would descend into chaos.
View Quote
So would the United States Financial system.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 11:46:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
After this, you should be able to get a great deal on vacation property on the Outer Banks.
View Quote
You mean the outter banks of Tennessee, right?
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 11:48:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They've done multiple studies on this specific location, so there's a general idea the east coast would be impacted, although the effects are debatable.

The first study in 2001 which probably spurred all the doom went with the worst case scenario, resulted in ~80' tsunami on the east coast.

Other people did a bunch of other studies and concluded the 2001 study wasn't necessarily accurate. There is debate about the size of the mads that could break off, the speed at impact, and how it would let loose, all at once or piece-meal. And the 2001 study used linear modeling which I guess is not as accurate as all the other modeling techniques they've done.

Ultimately it seems about 3-20 ft waves would hit the east coast based on a bunch of different scenarios.
View Quote

Scientists also laid out the worst case scenario for a quake in Japan, and somehow got it totally wrong as well in 2011.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 11:50:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Perhaps I should have been more specific. I meant a massive tsunami from the collapse of a section of La Palma. I know that very large earthquakes can generate them in some situations. This doom scenario was based off of bad research.
View Quote

Landslide tsunamis are capable of being larger than earthquake generated tsunamis.  There’s been research on the subject, and events in Alaska helped spur the research
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 11:50:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So would the United States Financial system.
View Quote

And the problem with a bunch of debt being washed away is what again?

Quoted:

Scientists also laid out the worst case scenario for a quake in Japan, and somehow got it totally wrong as well in 2011.
View Quote

I know, its almost like experts can be and are often wrong, uh?
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 11:51:02 PM EDT
[#11]
This thread is 4 pages of yawn.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 12:00:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Landslide tsunamis are capable of being larger than earthquake generated tsunamis.  There’s been research on the subject, and events in Alaska helped spur the research
View Quote

1700FT plus high wave that ruined everything in front of it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 12:29:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Someone’s been paying attention too
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 12:38:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Someone’s been paying attention too
View Quote

A lot of people don't really understand how landslides work, Lituya was a really big wakeup call.

Link Posted: 9/20/2021 12:54:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Don't be a wet blanket. There's dooming to do.

View Quote

Get yer doom on!
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 12:55:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Wall Street...banking...the UN...
View Quote

The trifecta, damn!
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 12:56:37 AM EDT
[#17]
?? LIVE: La Palma Volcano Eruption on the Canary Islands

Just a live stream of the volcano where the lava is fountaining.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 12:58:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Took a nap. Just woke up. Is the east coast gone yet? Are the lizards still in charge?
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 1:05:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Nothing will happen. Wish it would, but it won't. Would LOVE to see DC washed clean.

Updated Wiki link with a good explanation of what we're talking about

Link Posted: 9/20/2021 1:11:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Bunch of fucked up assholes on arf sometimes.

I don't think we'll see a 100 ft wall of water.

It's not something any of you want. Even a small tsunami could kill a fuckload of people and devastate nations.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 1:21:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

What does that even mean?
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 1:25:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Lots of rich and important people bought island and coastal properties on the East coast.  Many of the same were chanting the “climate change” mantra at every opportunity.   To them, I say:

“Surf’s up, pal!”

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/64530/28E4AB72-382D-4DD3-9C92-01817EEAD33E_jpe-2097311.JPG
View Quote

There was a Sledge Hammer/Miami Vice crossover episode!?!?!
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 1:44:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Will I be able to catch Yellowfin in PA afterwards?
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 2:10:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's not something any of you want. Even a small tsunami could kill a fuckload of people and devastate nations.
View Quote

Gallows humor is a thing, especially for those who’ve faced death before… Francis.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 3:04:32 AM EDT
[#25]
ok...

Could a large chunk of the island slough off and cause a catastrophic tsunami?
Yes.

High enough to over top all of Florida, wipe out the Eastern seaboard, and even effect states along the Gulf coast?
Yes.

Is it likely?
No.

Volcanoes can and do have catastrophic flank collapses.  There are massive debris fields on the ocean floor around Hawaii that show that several such collapses have occurred there in the past.  As for La Palma... there is a rather concerning fault line running through it... but I'm not aware of any massive collapses in its history.  Evidence for such a tsunami causing collapse would have been found all over the East coast if it had happened in the past.  Just like evidence for larger tsunamis that have struck the West coast in the ancient past has long been found and even rather specific dates determined for the events.

I'm not saying it can't happen due to not having happened in that location before.  I mentioned Hawaii because evidence there shows it can happen if the conditions are right.

Are the conditions right in La Palma now?
I don't know.  Maybe.

most likely
An eruption... same as has happened before.  Lava, ash, earthquakes.  Local destruction and nothing more.
less likely
an eruption or strong earthquake which causes a slow crumbling collapse and produces small tsunami's that mostly only effect  the surrounding area.
unlikely
an eruption or strong earthquake which causes a bigger faster collapse which produces a larger tsunami that adversely effects the East coast.
and finally the technically possible but very unlikely
catastrophic collapse which destroys the whole Eastern seaboard and continues far inland.

Scientists don't talk in absolutes... they talk in probabilities.  Just because something is unlikely doesn't mean it can't happen.  Be prepared.  Keep an eye out for the signs that something will happen and evaluate for your self what level of risk you are willing to accept.

Link Posted: 9/20/2021 5:21:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Best way to prepare for a tsunami is to get vaccinated now, like right now. Vaccines turn you into wood and wood floats, so you must be a duck and ducks must be witches so you can fly to safety. Get the jab!
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 5:54:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If we are talking about a massive volcanic/earthquake event then no. Pretty sure in the geologic record this has happened before and it sent massive sweeping tsunamis across the ocean.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Supposedly…? There is some geological evidence in the Caribbean or Bahamas that a mega tsunami hit there previously and completely flipped over or washed the tops off some portions of islands.
Apparently limestone strata forms in a specific way and they found vast areas where the strata lines were upside down. Leading to the notion that the sea receded and as it rushed back in broke off entire portions of reefs and islands. The direction the waves came from points back towards that area.

So….it is plausible such an event is possible. Probably as rare as Yellowstone mega eruptions.
Once every several hundred thousand years thing.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 5:56:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

That has to wait for New Madrid.

Link Posted: 9/20/2021 6:39:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Gallows humor is a thing, especially for those who’ve faced death before… Francis.
View Quote

I think he's referring to the fact that it's perfectly acceptable to wish for death and destruction to ravage either coast on here, but if anyone makes the slightest joke about something like tornadoes in the midwest, the ban hammer comes out.  Pretty sure a number of members caught CoCs for joking about the Texas freeze last winter.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 6:46:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Challenge will be: chili (or chilly)
Response will be: beans
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm headed to Kennebunkport in a week. If we could either speed it up or slow this down until after I leave Bar Harbor...

https://media.makeameme.org/created/that-would-be-b241cc2b3f.jpg

We're headed to Bar Harbor next weekend too. If it hits we'll have to build an official Arf raft.

Challenge will be: chili (or chilly)
Response will be: beans

Or 45.

Link Posted: 9/20/2021 6:53:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
All the live feeds just dropped out, I'm 4.5 ft above sea level, and 4.5 miles from the beach.
Been nice knowing you all!
View Quote

Dibs on guns! (be a gentleman and give them a good coat of cosmoline before the wave hits)
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 7:03:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

My gut instinct tells me we would have no warning, but then there are A LOT of important people who live in that area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder if they will panic on Long Island and the cape up here if they hear of a collapse of the flank of the volcano?, even if no big wave hits

I sort of think govt would do everything in their power to make sure as few knew abt it as possible.

One way or the other, millions would die.
Better to get word out amongst the elite and connected so they could get out of harm's way as easily as possible.

My gut instinct tells me we would have no warning, but then there are A LOT of important people who live in that area.

Somebody near Martha's Vineyard needs to let us know if Obama suddenly gets evacuated. If that happens it's on.

Link Posted: 9/20/2021 7:15:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's contempt of a region based off nothing but politics made palatable with snarky one liners.  arfcom was flooded with apathetic quips of blue states during the 2020 rioting/wildfires, this is no different.

gallow humor is finding hilarity in shared misery.  joe blow gd living safely in montana jacking off to thoughts of nyc being wiped off the map?  yeah, that aint gallow humor.

that is, unless we're allowed to make fun of texas snow storms... because that was pretty funny (even though it was admittedly distasteful).  

Link Posted: 9/20/2021 8:13:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep when 80% of the body is necrotic surgery is no longer an option...
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 8:18:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
BS meter pegged, because to get displacement like that, you'd have a lot stronger quakes
View Quote

The theory is not that it will be caused by earthquakes, but that the island is stratified and the tsunami will be caused by the displacement of large parts of the island falling into the sea, aided by volcanic pressures.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 8:25:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 8:58:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:10:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The most suprising thing in this is that people were building houses so close to a known active crater.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/211087/000_9N69U4-2097991.jpg
View Quote
Cheap land.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:17:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It's contempt of a region based off nothing but politics made palatable with snarky one liners.  arfcom was flooded with apathetic quips of blue states during the 2020 rioting/wildfires, this is no different.

gallow humor is finding hilarity in shared misery.  joe blow gd living safely in montana jacking off to thoughts of nyc being wiped off the map?  yeah, that aint gallow humor.

that is, unless we're allowed to make fun of texas snow storms... because that was pretty funny (even though it was admittedly distasteful).  

View Quote

Unplug from the interwebz dude... you're doing it wrong. This ain't for keeps, just a pressure release. Reality is double digit inflation, foreign invasion, abandonment of US air bases and citizens, lockdowns, restrictions on liberties, unlawful detainment, etc.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:20:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Best way to prepare for a tsunami is to get vaccinated now, like right now. Vaccines turn you into wood and wood floats, so you must be a duck and ducks must be witches so you can fly to safety. Get the jab!
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:23:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Supposedly…? There is some geological evidence in the Caribbean or Bahamas that a mega tsunami hit there previously and completely flipped over or washed the tops off some portions of islands.
Apparently limestone strata forms in a specific way and they found vast areas where the strata lines were upside down. Leading to the notion that the sea receded and as it rushed back in broke off entire portions of reefs and islands. The direction the waves came from points back towards that area.

So….it is plausible such an event is possible. Probably as rare as Yellowstone mega eruptions.
Once every several hundred thousand years thing.
View Quote

@Number1gun:

Have a link to anything (published papers, etc) on this? I found a bit from Ramalho et al about a tsunami in the Africas which lofted very large limestone boulders...but nothing in the Caribbean.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:25:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Unplug from the interwebz dude... you're doing it wrong. This ain't for keeps, just a pressure release. Reality is double digit inflation, foreign invasion, abandonment of US air bases and citizens, lockdowns, restrictions on liberties, unlawful detainment, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Using GD as a proverbial punching bag to calm the inner angst of issues that life throws at you is fine and all, until you realize that punching bag is actually comprised of other members.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:25:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

IIRC that was a very isolated event in a narrow inlet/bay with high canyon walls and the water had nowhere to go but up. Never happen like that across open ocean.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:33:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
that crazy thing with a tsunami, is if you just get in a helo coptor or plane or haul ass in your boat to meet the wave before it gets close you can survive.

This is why I really want an 4 seat ultra light I can use to take off from my street in case of tidal wave
View Quote

Find a boat or plane that keeps you safe from the tsunamis of financial collapse, SARS, and totalitarianism, Those are far more likely to end you than La Palma.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:39:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:40:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Using GD as a proverbial punching bag to calm the inner angst of issues that life throws at you is fine and all, until you realize that punching bag is actually comprised of other members.
View Quote

It's GD. You're in the wrong place for delicate feelz. I live 100 miles from the Yellowstone caldera. It comes up a lot on here as well. BFD. Only the greater Yellowstone area isn't exporting douchebags and douchebag policies and destruction across the entire country. The red tsunami of misery has been laying waste to the country for decades.

ETA: find me the Arf members who'd poke fun of victims of such natural disasters after they actually happened and then we can agree that things have gone too far Francis.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:42:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
After this, you should be able to get a great deal on vacation property on the Outer Banks.

Then you could have a house in Knoxville Bay
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:44:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It's GD. You're in the wrong place for delicate feelings. I live 100 miles from the Yellowstone caldera. It comes up a lot on here as well. BFD. Only the greater Yellowstone area isn't exporting douchebags and douchebag politicians and destruction across the entire country. The red tsunami of misery has been laying waste to the country for decades.

ETA: find me the Arf members who'd poke fun of victims of such natural disasters after they actually happened and then we can agree that things have gone too far Francis.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's GD. You're in the wrong place for delicate feelings. I live 100 miles from the Yellowstone caldera. It comes up a lot on here as well. BFD. Only the greater Yellowstone area isn't exporting douchebags and douchebag politicians and destruction across the entire country. The red tsunami of misery has been laying waste to the country for decades.

okay.  enjoy the reciprocal apathy then.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:45:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

okay.  enjoy the reciprocal apathy then.
View Quote

Oh I will. I'm sure it'll keep me awake at night.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:52:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The most suprising thing in this is that people were building houses so close to a known active crater.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/211087/000_9N69U4-2097991.jpg
View Quote

When was the last eruption? when there is no personal experience it becomes something that happened in the past and the threat is forgotten.
Page / 34
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top