Meanwhile on my beat

"Hey man it's pretty cold outside, you doing okay?"

*Ignores me*

"Have a nice day", get 10-8.

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:37:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The “community caretaker” doctrine has been expanded to allow arrests? Tell us more?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Under the "community caretaker" doctrine there is a responsibility to care for those unable to care for themselves. So they could be beholden to a guy in a t-shirt in certain circumstances. Not saying that was the case in this instance, but in others there might be.

The “community caretaker” doctrine has been expanded to allow arrests? Tell us more?

Please don't conflate the two. There was most certainly a caretaker responsibility to check on some guy walking down the street in a t-shirt in snow. However, as soon as it's ascertained that the guy is not in any emotional, mental or physical distress, which would be figured out inside of ten seconds, the contact should have been ended.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:44:17 AM EDT
[#3]
walking while black....
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:45:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most people have first hand experience with traffic stops and don't need to rely on Youtube videos to form an opinion.  
And so most people know traffic stops exist mainly for two reasons - a pretext for looking for contraband/warrants or a revenue raising operation.
I'm a middle aged white guy who's normally wearing business clothes and my limited interaction with the police generally has not been positive.  
So I can imagine how much worse it is for a black teenager.
View Quote
I'm a "middle-aged white guy. Dress neat, drive a decent car.
In the last 10 years, I've been pulled over twice. Once I got a warning, once I got a summons.
Both times, the cops were professional and courteous, and I was courteous right back.
I can't help but feel like you might have something to do with your interactions being so negative.
Maybe you're being a dick? I don't know.
View Quote

@runcible

What factors beyond the law should cops be allowed to reference when they themselves decide to turn up the pressure , unnecessarily throw around their power, or be rude, or be condescending themselves?

Is it okay to do that because the person is wearing a blue shirt and the cop's favorite color is green?
Is it okay to do that because the person has a Team X bumper sticker and the cop is a fan of Team Y?
is it okay because the person is of faith A and the cop is of faith B?
How about 'cultural' differences?  If the cop was raised strict Mormon and swearing wasn't tolerated, but the person pulled over grew up watching Andrew Dice Clay, and every third word from his mouth is a swearword - does that make it okay?

To me, behavior that is lawful even if the cop doesn't particularly care for it should not impact how the cop interacts with people.
View Quote
Well, you can think that all you want. In the real world, your behavior is usually mirrored by the person you're dealing with.
This phenomenon comes into play in car stops all the time. Like I said, I've been pulled over twice in 10 years, and once I only got a warning.
In that instance, I was guilty of the traffic infraction that the officer pulled me over for. If the cop had written me, I'd have just paid the ticket.
Further more, I guarantee you, the cop that pulled me over has written people summonses for doing exactly what I did.
And yet... I only got a warning.
Now, let's rewind the tape. The cop approaches my window, and I say, "What are you pulling me over for, fuck shoes? Don't you have any real criminals to catch?"
Probably not getting off with just a warning.

The phenomenon also works the other way. In the neighborhood where I worked, the people were rude, hostile, and combative almost as a rule.
If I pulled someone over (rare, in and of itself) and they were polite, I most likely wasn't going to write them.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:50:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am not a cop. Further more I give zero fucks on what you think or have to say.
View Quote

1. Yet you are responding to him.

2. Police officers can lie to citizens without any blowback.

Point #1 indicates you are clearly lying, which lends to the idea you are a cop.

...and yeah, from your entry into this thread you "picked" a side.

Question for you: Did the police do the right thing in this instance? If yes - ok.

If no, at what specific point did they cross the line?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:54:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Under the "community caretaker" doctrine there is a responsibility to care for those unable to care for themselves. So they could be beholden to a guy in a t-shirt in certain circumstances. Not saying that was the case in this instance, but in others there might be.
View Quote

But not kidnapped kids?

Get the fuck outta here with that warped shit.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:55:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Except for the lord I suppose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
No I just quoted single instead of quote all. Jesus fucking Christ all I was asking for was for people to have a bit more respect.

Except for the lord I suppose.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:57:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Cops dont like being told you dont want to talk to them, because that ends their fishing expedition.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:05:35 AM EDT
[#9]
The problem is that the cart is full.  There is no good way to own or do anything in this country today without upsetting the cart.  You can protect people all you want to and the big majority will take advantage of you.  T shirt should have just dropped the racial chip if he was not hiding anything.  He acted like he just read the King George playbook and need a little fame.  Being cordial most always pays off.  T Shirt is walking with a shroud that his own people created and the same goes for the Police.  Don't look for things to get any better anytime soon.  Just pray the economy don't fail with the current attitude of people today, no telling what will happen.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:10:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

When you are cold as hell and just trying to get home, stopping to talk to ANYONE tends to piss you off, especially when the other person is ordering you to stand around because of some BS ''we care about you'' speech.

Oh, and I hope the Karen who called ran into a telephone pole while trying to call the cops. If she was Sooooooo worried about the guy, why didn't SHE offer to drive him home?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We're gonna protect you and serve you whether you like it or not!

Worry about the guy being cold. Tackle him down into the snow.

Cops were out of line from the onset. Dude could've been a little more cooperative but cops over re-acted.

When you are cold as hell and just trying to get home, stopping to talk to ANYONE tends to piss you off, especially when the other person is ordering you to stand around because of some BS ''we care about you'' speech.

Oh, and I hope the Karen who called ran into a telephone pole while trying to call the cops. If she was Sooooooo worried about the guy, why didn't SHE offer to drive him home?
I don't give a shit either way but reading what I bolded wouldn't a sane person be like "officer <whatever reason you're walking in the snow> could you give me a ride home in  your warm car since you stopped me?"
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:34:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't give a shit either way but reading what I bolded wouldn't a sane person be like "officer  could you give me a ride home in  your warm car since you stopped me?"
View Quote

Accepting the offer of a ride home would have almost certainly led to a patdown/search followed by a request for ID.  Everything is a fishing expedition.  I don't blame the kid for just wanting to be left alone.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:40:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There was a thread here about a woman who was out for a walk. a Texas cop came up to her and started bothering her. She figured he was a perv so she ran away, he tackled her and arrested her for walking in the street, or walking on the wrong side . He then claimed he thought this suburban lady out for a walk "was a lookout for a burglary ring" There was much defense of charging people
for walking the wrong way on the edge of the road as a "investigative technique" "I do that all the time"
View Quote

WTF.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Im starting to see why black people hate the police.
View Quote

Meh...in 87% of these circumstances the cop is just an asshole, not a racist IMO.  

The difference is when a white guy gets harrassed by a cop he says "that guy was an asshole."  When a black guy gets harrassed by a cop he says "that guy was a racist."
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:01:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You aright you don't have to talk. I don't see why telling people to eff off is a polite thing to do. Much of the time if you are polite to people things will go much better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I'm not committing a crime and I tell you to eff off, then eff off.     You can talk to me all you'd like.  I don't have to answer.
You aright you don't have to talk. I don't see why telling people to eff off is a polite thing to do. Much of the time if you are polite to people things will go much better.

Luckily being rude isn't against the law.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:13:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't give a shit either way but reading what I bolded wouldn't a sane person be like "officer  could you give me a ride home in  your warm car since you stopped me?"
View Quote

Wow I'm not sure you meant that comment to be funny... But that is hilarious...??????

You think the average black dude is going to ask a cop for a ride home because he got stopped.... ??????

Wow!!!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:24:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Great! There isn’t a law. Then I guess there wasn’t a reason to stop the kid either seeing how he wasn’t committing a crime.

I guess in my mind if a crime is or has been committed then either write the ticket or arrest; if you’re not going to do that then don’t bother stopping the person. Pretty simple, really.

View Quote

I would include "inform the person they are or have committed a crime but let them off with a warning" but otherwise agree with this.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:50:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Good grief. Blue squad does it again.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:51:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Meh...in 87% of these circumstances the cop is just an asshole, not a racist IMO.
The difference is when a white guy gets harrassed by a cop he says "that guy was an asshole."  
When a black guy gets harrassed by a cop he says "that guy was a racist." 
View Quote
Well, let's be honest, that's how it is with *everything* in America.
"Black on White" is never assumed to be racially motivated.
"White on Black" is *always* assumed to be racially motivated.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:06:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The problem is that the cart is full.  There is no good way to own or do anything in this country today without upsetting the cart.  You can protect people all you want to and the big majority will take advantage of you.  T shirt should have just dropped the racial chip if he was not hiding anything.  He acted like he just read the King George playbook and need a little fame.  Being cordial most always pays off.  T Shirt is walking with a shroud that his own people created and the same goes for the Police.  Don't look for things to get any better anytime soon.  Just pray the economy don't fail with the current attitude of people today, no telling what will happen.
View Quote

The cops was clearly in the wrong and your defending them. Thats not doing them any favors.
If they dont get their pee pee slapped they'll continue to do it until they eventually kill someone for not bowing low enough.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:11:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well, let's be honest, that's how it is with *everything* in America.
"Black on White" is never assumed to be racially motivated.
"White on Black" is *always* assumed to be racially motivated.
View Quote

I keep telling people, imagine all the assholes you meet...then realize if you were black they would be racists instead.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:19:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I’m supposed to believe that the police were just trying to check on the poor kid to make sure he was physically and mentally not a danger to himself.  Yet100’s of thousands of homeless, who are clearly mentally and/or physically compromised are avoided like the plague daily by the police.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:08:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Had to watch the vid again with all this "he was rude" talk.

No he wasn't fucking rude in the beginning. He just told them he was good and leave me alone.

Fuck every single one of those kidnapping ass fucks, and you gotta be a special kind of fucking shit stick to defend it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:10:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
T shirt should have just dropped the racial chip if he was not hiding anything.  He acted like he just read the King George playbook and need a little fame.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
T shirt should have just dropped the racial chip if he was not hiding anything.  He acted like he just read the King George playbook and need a little fame.

Mr Reese just wanted to go home.  He didn't have a "racial chip", he had a "leave me alone" chip.  He acted like "I wanna go home", because he did.

Being cordial most always pays off.

But it shouldnt have to.  Do your fucking job the right way, everytime.  Consistent.

T Shirt is walking with a shroud that his own people created and the same goes for the Police.

Mr Reese seemed to be walking in the shroud of "I just pulled 16 hours at Walmart, its cold outside, I want to go home".  He wasnt doing anything wrong, he was cold, tired, and wanted to go home.

Don't look for things to get any better anytime soon.  Just pray the economy don't fail with the current attitude of people today, no telling what will happen.

They wont, as long as people continue to not mind their own fucking business and feel the need to interject the man in other people's lives, and their own.

With all that red on your ass, maybe its time go be a firefighter.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:32:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Meanwhile on my beat

"Hey man it's pretty cold outside, you doing okay?"

*Ignores me*

"Have a nice day", get 10-8.

View Quote

Thank you for being decent. Many cops are, and we need more of you.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:32:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So being a dick is the correct way to talk to people?
View Quote
"Being a Dick" isn't a crime. I'm 100 percent in agreement these officers F'd up royally.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:02:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cops were out of line from the onset. Dude could've been a little more cooperative but cops over re-acted.

1. ID first
2. searched first. [any cop that's a cop is going to search you before you get in his car]
3. a couple minutes from home, quicker to walk then to jump thru hoops.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:05:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

1. ID first
2. searched first. [any cop that's a cop is going to search you before you get in his car]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. ID first

"Don't invite the man into your life."
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:41:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Page / 12
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top