Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:07:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There isn't a law. I didn't talk about a law.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny you left out your own quote from my post.

A person walking out in at our e near cold in north Texas with a T-shirt on will get talked to.

You said that. Why would they get talked to? I'll ask again. Is there a law against walking in, at, or near record cold? You must be talking about a law since doing that gets a talking to. Oh no law? Then I guess there's no reason to get talked to is there?
There isn't a law. I didn't talk about a law.

@m35ben

I see you are using the cowardly tactic of not including your original quote when you respond, so people have to go dig for for it

You said:
Quoted:
I don't get the outrage here. A person walking out in at or near record cold in north Texas with a T-shirt on will get talked to.

Well you DID talk about a law.  Because there's a law that says why people can be detained, and being 'talked to' isn't lawful.  

And if you are going to stand and talk AT someone and they are going to ignore you and just keep on walking, that's not 'getting talked to'.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:12:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
See no one messes with Asians
View Quote

Ever heard of Asian privilege? It’s real
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:12:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Their actions were stupid. However, this place and society in general gets all wrapped up over videos. It's as if because they can see some events that are ridiculous enough to gather attention that the entire world operates that way all the time. It's a bizarre emotional reaction resulting in binary on off sort of thinking that isn't unique to this place. Ironically it's often the core of what people here complain about when referring to social media when it's a different topic.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for proving my point.
The cops were idiots, pointing that out is "having the vapors"? Why defend these dingbats?

Their actions were stupid. However, this place and society in general gets all wrapped up over videos. It's as if because they can see some events that are ridiculous enough to gather attention that the entire world operates that way all the time. It's a bizarre emotional reaction resulting in binary on off sort of thinking that isn't unique to this place. Ironically it's often the core of what people here complain about when referring to social media when it's a different topic.

That's because for a really long time people were saying cops were doing terrible thing X, Y and Z...and no one believed them.

Now, we have video proof that the cops are doing terrible things.  And yet cops are frequently still caught lying. Including in court.  And they aren't getting charged for perjury like they should be! And/or falsifying official documents!
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:13:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

@m35ben

I see you are using the cowardly tactic of not including your original quote when you respond, so people have to go dig for for it

You said:
Quoted:
I don't get the outrage here. A person walking out in at or near record cold in north Texas with a T-shirt on will get talked to.

Well you DID talk about a law.  Because there's a law that says why people can be detained, and being 'talked to' isn't lawful.  

And if you are going to stand and talk AT someone and they are going to ignore you and just keep on walking, that's not 'getting talked to'.
View Quote
No I just quoted single instead of quote all. Jesus fucking Christ all I was asking for was for people to have a bit more respect.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:14:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Dude I am living rent free in your head.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tell me if you hear your name enough times, if not I can repeat so you can feel important in case it is your day off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpFftAYbjUw
Dude I am living rent free in your head.

I notice a lot of cops use that phrase.  I am guessing you were all trained to say that.  Along with training to yelli 'stop resisting' and 'he's going for my gun!' no matter what is actually going on.  Hell, a cop could tackle a mannequin and he'd be yelling 'Stop resisting!  It's going for my gun!'
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:16:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Do you two want this thread locked? Because I think this is how you get a thread locked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bet you are stroking yourself to me right now.

Do you two want this thread locked? Because I think this is how you get a thread locked.

Well, now we know for sure how deviant Ben is.
But also, yes, cops like to get threads that show them in a bad light locked.  That's the purpose of him coming in here and attacking people rather than discussing the issue.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:17:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's because for a really long time people were saying cops were doing terrible thing X, Y and Z...and no one believed them.

Now, we have video proof that the cops are doing terrible things.  And yet cops are frequently still caught lying. Including in court.  And they aren't getting charged for perjury like they should be! And/or falsifying official documents!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The cops were idiots, pointing that out is "having the vapors"? Why defend these dingbats?

It's really quite tragic that cops started abusing people's rights and harassing them without reason immediately after they all got body cams.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:17:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I notice a lot of cops use that phrase.  I am guessing you were all trained to say that.  Along with training to yelli 'stop resisting' and 'he's going for my gun!' no matter what is actually going on.  Hell, a cop could tackle a mannequin and he'd be yelling 'Stop resisting!  It's going for my gun!'
View Quote
I am not a cop. Further more I give zero fucks on what you think or have to say.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:17:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No I just quoted single instead of quote all. Jesus fucking Christ all I was asking for was for people to have a bit more respect.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@m35ben

You said:
Quoted:

What's more disrespectful? Ignoring someone talking to you, or kidnapping a man?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:18:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thank Christ.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was in law enforcement for a little over 26 years and there's a reason black people are scrutinized more heavily; they statistically commit more crime.  Sorry if that pisses off the many libs here but it's a proven fact.

Thank Christ.

That's true.

However, even when given extra scrutiny to the man walking in the road because he's black, there's STILL nothing there to justify a detention.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:23:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It doesn't take much evolution to stop yourself from typing "Police don't investigate crimes anymore". It's ignorant as saying no trash services run anymore becuse they forgot to stop at your house this week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was black so they figured there was a chance he had a warrant.  Had it been a white guy they would have cruised on past.

Exactly this.  Police don't investigate crimes anymore, they just fuck with people who look guilty to fish for warrants

Here's a good example of the emotional binary response.

You believe you're so highly evolved that it is beneath you to type on opinion on a video, but you type your fingers bloody trying to get anyone to notice how evolved you think you are by having an opinion on other people's opinions.

Most neckbeard shit I've ever seen.  Do you greet women with M'lady as well?

It doesn't take much evolution to stop yourself from typing "Police don't investigate crimes anymore". It's ignorant as saying no trash services run anymore becuse they forgot to stop at your house this week.

Well, except for the problem that there have been a lot of anecdotes discussing that very fact, even among police.  And there have been a lot of articles written about that.  AND there have been a lot of statistical studies that have backed up that claim.  Things like how many non-drug crimes actually get solved (answer - pretty much none) and when looking at serious crimes, how many times when there's no reward to calls providing information get logged, average number of people canvased on crimes, etc all are bottoming out.

Although there has been an increase of cops checking out social media.  Generally they aren't investigating a crime, they are instead just casting a wide net hoping to see some evidence of any crime.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:38:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Is that your fantasy or something?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Imagine being a patient in a hospital and the police come into your hospital room and arrest you.  Except you're not the person they're looking for, don't look anything like them, and the cops aren't even at the right hospital.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWe9qapXgmY

Is that your fantasy or something?

Are you off your medication again?

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:38:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I really don't care.
View Quote
Well you cared enough to come here and post that.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:39:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't get the outrage here. A person walking out in at or near record cold in north Texas with a T-shirt on will get talked to. If he had rolled back the attitude he would have gone home.
View Quote

It’s that last part, the attitude thing.

Having a bad attitude and running your mouth isn’t basis for an arrest. You’re right, which is why most of us could have done the same thing (walking in the cold) and been fine. Because we don’t walk around with an openly adversarial FTP attitude. But when your walking around with a chip on your shoulder and you run into a thin skinned cop, there’s a halfway decent chance your gonna...be collecting a check...particularly in this political climate.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:41:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:48:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It wasn't their job to take care of him.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the government did take care of that young man, just not legally, so what exactly is your point?

It wasn't their job to take care of him.

And yet the government tried to take care of him, and couldn't accept the answer that he just wanted to be left alone, so they 'took care of him' by harassing him, forcing an incident, and throwing him in jail.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:51:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Having a bad attitude and running your mouth isn’t basis for an arrest. You’re right, which is why most of us could have done the same thing (walking in the cold) and been fine. Because we don’t walk around with an openly adversarial FTP attitude. But when your walking around with a chip on your shoulder and you run into a thin skinned cop, there’s a halfway decent chance your gonna...be collecting a check...particularly in this political climate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't get the outrage here. A person walking out in at or near record cold in north Texas with a T-shirt on will get talked to. If he had rolled back the attitude he would have gone home.

Sometimes free men don't want to doff the cap to the kingsmen.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:55:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This was covered in the video, and as a Northerner I can confirm.  After a snowstorm, when the streets are plowed and the sidewalks haven't been shoveled, you walk in the street.  Because there's really no other option.  Not sure why anyone would think this was a big deal unless they were looking for any excuse to defend cops.
View Quote

Big deal in what way?
For cops to check on the guy? Or for cops to arrest the guy?
There a significant escalation in probable cause between the former to the latter.

Dressed inappropriate for the weather and walking in the middle of the street is going to garner a justifiable contact at least. What happens from contact on is a different story.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:58:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I spent most of my life in the Northeast. Walking down the street in the snow, wearing just a T-shirt wasn't "normal behavior" where I lived.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what is normal behavior in most of the nation is considered a stoppable offense in Texas because you rarely get snow....

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/322205/retardedsir_jpg-1838307.JPG
I spent most of my life in the Northeast. Walking down the street in the snow, wearing just a T-shirt wasn't "normal behavior" where I lived.

*laughs in Colorado*
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:59:27 PM EDT
[#20]
So, what was the reason for the seizure?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:00:50 AM EDT
[#21]
So now not wearing a clothing suitable to the weather is reason for a stop? Jesus.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:02:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Im starting to see why black people hate the police.
View Quote

It's not a black thing.
Plenty of police abuse to all races.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:04:50 AM EDT
[#23]
I've read the whole thread and am amazed the two most rabid defenders of police (LEOs themselves) no matter how egregious the act or behavior have not come in to defend the police in this thread. That either says something or it's just a coincidence.

Either way the cops in this case fucked up, the victim didn't, and hopefully he gets paid while the cops are fired and can't work in LE again (yeah right huh).
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:07:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So now not wearing a clothing suitable to the weather is reason for a stop? Jesus.
View Quote

You're also expected to walk through 3 feet of snow piled up on the sidewalk.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:07:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Actually the cops were sued for violating the woman's right to due process. And the courts ruled that the  state's failure to protect an individual from violence by a private citizen is not a violation of the Due Process Clause.  
It's not the governments fault if someone is the the victim of a crime. The government protects society as a whole and isn't beholden to individuals unless a special relationship exists.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lady had a messy divorce and got a restraining order against her husband.  Her husband kidnapped her daughters.  She called the cops.  They did nothing.  She went to the station to plead with the cops.  They did nothing.  The dad killed the 3 daughters and then drove to the Police Department where he did suicide-by-cop.

Cops were sued for not enforcing the restraining order and not acting on the kidnapping report.

(BTW, the case is Castlerock v Gonzlez)
Actually the cops were sued for violating the woman's right to due process. And the courts ruled that the  state's failure to protect an individual from violence by a private citizen is not a violation of the Due Process Clause.  
It's not the governments fault if someone is the the victim of a crime. The government protects society as a whole and isn't beholden to individuals unless a special relationship exists.

Yup, so they sure as hell aren't beholden to a man who chooses to wear a T-shirt while walking in the snow.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:14:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

How are you getting that conclusion from my answer? Have you been using any drugs today?

Bennie asked a simple question, and I answered with my opinion.
I dont believe walking around and being a dick is the correct way to talk to people. Do you?

1. I absolutely dont think it should be illegal. How would you even enforce that?

2. Cops need to take whatever verbal abuse and ass hat behavior they recieve, up until a crime is committed, with a smile on their faces.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unreal.
So being a dick is the correct way to talk to people?

Nope.
Being polite will get you a long way in this world.

So you are saying it should be illegal to be rude?

That cops should dole out more punishment if someone isn't polite enough to meet their tastes?

How are you getting that conclusion from my answer? Have you been using any drugs today?

Bennie asked a simple question, and I answered with my opinion.
I dont believe walking around and being a dick is the correct way to talk to people. Do you?

1. I absolutely dont think it should be illegal. How would you even enforce that?

2. Cops need to take whatever verbal abuse and ass hat behavior they recieve, up until a crime is committed, with a smile on their faces.

Because why even bring it up in regards to an unlawful detention?

I believe in wearing a jacket in the snow, fresh underwear daily, and being polite to people WHO DESERVED IT.

When a telemarketer calls, I don't say 'I'm sorry, I'm not interested' I say 'CLICK' as I hang up - which is absolutely rude.

When someone comes knocking at my door trying to sell me boxes of frozen steaks, or to seal my driveway, ignoring my 'no solicitation' signs, I say 'Fuck Off'

Same thing if I was walking home and some cops come over.  No need to be polite.

The fact that you were giving 'advice' about being polite in the context of that interaction absolutely did imply that you thought it was relevant to how law enforcement interacted with the individual.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:16:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I believe in wearing a jacket in the snow, fresh underwear daily, and being polite to people WHO DESERVED IT.

When a telemarketer calls, I don't say 'I'm sorry, I'm not interested' I say 'CLICK' as I hang up - which is absolutely rude.

When someone comes knocking at my door trying to sell me boxes of frozen steaks, or to seal my driveway, ignoring my 'no solicitation' signs, I say 'Fuck Off'

Same thing if I was walking home and some cops come over.  No need to be polite.

The fact that you were giving 'advice' about being polite in the context of that interaction absolutely did imply that you thought it was relevant to how law enforcement interacted with the individual.
View Quote

The fact that politeness is even being discussed in this situation is fucked up to begin with.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:18:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Watched it. Absolutely ridiculous.

The cops should be fired. Doubt they will be. Actually no, they should be fired and prosecuted.

Still think they will stand up for your rights and the Constitution
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:20:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Virtually all cops do this with alarming regularity.

Attitude during an investigation is a huge factor on how shit is going to fall when there's room for wiggle one way or the other.

Even in cases where a cop where say they don't do this, I'd bet a million dollars they do it subconsciously and don't even realize it.

It's human nature. Nice people get the carrot, dick heads get the stick.

That said, in a perfect world, telling a cop to fuck off during a welfare check should pretty much end the encounter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unreal.
So being a dick is the correct way to talk to people?

Nope.
Being polite will get you a long way in this world.

So you are saying it should be illegal to be rude?

That cops should dole out more punishment if someone isn't polite enough to meet their tastes?
Virtually all cops do this with alarming regularity.

Attitude during an investigation is a huge factor on how shit is going to fall when there's room for wiggle one way or the other.

Even in cases where a cop where say they don't do this, I'd bet a million dollars they do it subconsciously and don't even realize it.

It's human nature. Nice people get the carrot, dick heads get the stick.

That said, in a perfect world, telling a cop to fuck off during a welfare check should pretty much end the encounter.

Yea, and if you swear at your waiter he might spit in your food - which is a crime.

If I was at a store and I paid for a $8.99 item with a $20, and I said 'fucking hurry up' the cashier wouldn't be able to keep some of my change in retaliation.  Well they could, but that would be a crime.

If my bank teller didn't like that I was wearing a shirt that said 'Fuck the Federal Reserve' they'd not be able to slap me with false overdraft charges.  Well, they could, but that would be a crime.

Yes, cops absolutely DO that.  And they get away with it.  But in the rest of the world when you are doing your job you don't get to harm people just because of your own personal grudges or displeasures.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:23:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@m35ben

You said:
Quoted:

And when asking that as a condition of not being harassed by the police - that's out of line.

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:23:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Defund now!
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:23:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It's really quite tragic that cops started abusing people's rights and harassing them without reason immediately after they all got body cams.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol!
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:24:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I am not a cop. Further more I give zero fucks on what you think or have to say.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that was true you would have just shrugged and gone about your life.  But you chose to reply.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:25:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Defund now!
View Quote

Agreed.
They have been showing their loyalties ever since Covid in a big way. And it isn't for the people or the constitution.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:27:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The fact that politeness is even being discussed in this situation is fucked up to begin with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.  

Back in the day when people use to mail checks to the IRS, I know lots of people who in the memo would write something like 'fuck taxes' or 'fuck the IRS' when they sent it in.

Can you imagine people saying 'when you sent your check to the IRS, make sure you write a nice little note in the memo section about how much you appreciate the IRS, or they might go out of their way to harm you'
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:28:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@m35ben

You said:
Quoted:

Really? Let's rewind that just a little bit to what you first posted:
"I don't get the outrage here. A person walking out in at or near record cold in north Texas with a T-shirt on will get talked to. If he had rolled back the attitude he would have gone home."
You just said "all I was asking for was for people to have a bit more respect" (my emphasis).
Yet your first post referenced just the "person walking out in at or near record cold in north Texas with a T-shirt on".

Not "people". Just T-Shirt Man.

Police are people. Do you think the police in this encounter should have rolled their attitude back and had a bit more respect?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:35:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yup, so they sure as hell aren't beholden to a man who chooses to wear a T-shirt while walking in the snow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lady had a messy divorce and got a restraining order against her husband.  Her husband kidnapped her daughters.  She called the cops.  They did nothing.  She went to the station to plead with the cops.  They did nothing.  The dad killed the 3 daughters and then drove to the Police Department where he did suicide-by-cop.

Cops were sued for not enforcing the restraining order and not acting on the kidnapping report.

Under the "community caretaker" doctrine there is a responsibility to care for those unable to care for themselves. So they could be beholden to a guy in a t-shirt in certain circumstances. Not saying that was the case in this instance, but in others there might be.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:49:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@m35ben

You said:
Quoted:

Except for the lord I suppose.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:59:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Under the "community caretaker" doctrine there is a responsibility to care for those unable to care for themselves. So they could be beholden to a guy in a t-shirt in certain circumstances. Not saying that was the case in this instance, but in others there might be.
View Quote

The “community caretaker” doctrine has been expanded to allow arrests? Tell us more?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:13:02 AM EDT
[#40]
I just need to know if one can walk down the street in Texas or not, because the video and some posters in this thread would have me believe that is a serious offense.

Say what you will about PA, but I can walk down a residential street.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:15:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I just need to know if one can walk down the street in Texas or not, because the video and some posters in this thread would have me believe that is a serious offense.

View Quote

It depends on whether or not there is a sidewalk ans if you’re walking in the proper direction. You can be arrested for it.

I asked a Native Texan why and he said “black people cant always afford cars, so we need a way to keep them from walking to our neighborhoods.”
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:26:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol.

I have learned that it's pretty standard to copy / paste the stature, rule , or regulation.

And go see.. That guy's is a CRIMINAL!!!!!!! !
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:32:15 AM EDT
[#43]
T shirt guy ought to be glad he didn't run into these guys:

Two teenagers walking home from a party are killed in an El Paso, Tex. drive-by shooting in 1993. Through coercive tactics (including threatening prison rape and the electric chair), officers obtain witness statements implicating a 16-year-old and then a confession from him (that he recants within hours). No physical evidence implicates him, but loads of evidence point to two brothers. The teen is convicted, sentenced to two life sentences. Texas courts overturn his convictions; he's tried again and acquitted. All told, he spends nearly 20 years in prison for crimes he did not commit. Fifth Circuit: His lawsuit against the officers can go forward. (More details on the case from the district court opinion.)

https://ij.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/villegas-district-court.pdf
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:50:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope

1. there must be objective, specific, and articulable facts that lead an experienced officer to believe that a citizen might be in need of help or in danger.
  2. if the citizen is in need of assistance, the officer may take appropriate action to mitigate the danger or render assistance to the citizen.
  3. once the officer is assured that the peril is no longer present, any actions beyond that constitute a seizure subject to Fourth Amendment review.
On the first point - what are they claiming, he was near death due to exposure?  Based on what specific articulable facts? Wearing a T-shirt in the snow?  Nope.  

But let's say that somehow the first hurdle is overcome.  If they are worried about exposure, then their activities related to where he is walking would be moot.  If they are worried about exposure, the appropriate actions would be to provide him with more adequate clothing (a rescue blanket from the back, giving up their duty jacket for him to wear'.  Offering a ride might work, but I don't think you could compel him to ride if it would require him to be searched.   But basically they mentioned a ride once and then went off onto their power-trip so that doesn't count

How about the 3rd point?   The man said he was all right, and was just a few minutes from home.  That assurance does a couple things.  He's showing no evidence of hypothermia which gives people a foggy mind.  He's not shivering uncontrollably, he's not turning blue, etc.  If there was a legit thought of him being in peril, once they spoke to him it was clear he wasn't in peril.  So community caretaker is a nogo.

But a lot of cops who are out fishing try and stretch community caretaker to cover interactions blatantly done to detect illegal activity not due to actual concern for the individual.

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:07:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Big deal in what way?
For cops to check on the guy? Or for cops to arrest the guy?
There a significant escalation in probable cause between the former to the latter.

Dressed inappropriate for the weather and walking in the middle of the street is going to garner a justifiable contact at least. What happens from contact on is a different story.
View Quote

I have no issue with the cops rolling up on him and asking "hey man, is everything ok?"  But the instant he indicated that he was fine, lived down the street, and didn't want to talk to them that should have been the end of the encounter and they should have driven away.

Also, for the love of god, would people stop with the "OMG he was walking in the street" bullshit.  For the millionth time the sidewalks were covered in snow and the street was the only place he could walk, it was perfectly reasonable and legal to do so.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:14:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

If he was wearing a heavy winter jacket they would have said "we stopped him because we believed he might be concealing drugs or weapons under that unnecessarily bulky garment".

Like in Baltimore where the same cops have used both the "he made direct eye contact with me" and "he avoided making direct eye contact with me" as reasons to stop and detain people.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:33:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depending on the situation?  Yes.  (Like sitting on a park bench in just basketball shorts when its -20 out at 2am)

In this situation?  Hell no...
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:07:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

He was black so they figured there was a chance he had a warrant.  Had it been a white guy they would have cruised on past.
View Quote

No, if he had been white the same thing would have happened but you
would not have heard anything about it.

same thing happens to whites all the time but nobody cares,
 more whites  than blacks are killed by cops every year but
you just don't here about it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:19:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Always has been. Hot weather and some teen hanging around the high school in a long coat? Yeah, he's going to get stopped.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:27:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Indeed. If you start your comment with "well, the guy could've done X", then you're part of the problem.

Its also ignorant because the guy started out not being rude, simply matter of fact. But he wasn't polite enough...
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top