User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:28:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah, thank God it prevented the rise of Soviet and Chinese communist superpowers. And Europe loves us too. We sure are lucky.

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:29:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
FPNI, also grabbed generation kill set for cheap from hbo awhile back. Solid!
View Quote

Generation Kill - Freddie's Letter
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:56:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Still one of my favorites of all time.
View Quote

I have watched the first one over and over, something about the Sobel stuff that fascinated me. I had a boss like him when I was a kid.
I own the BluRays, Amazon wants 3.99 per episode or something like that to watch it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#4]
On Why we fight, did anyone catch the three dot sights on the 1911 pointed at the baker?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:25:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Did you forget your Luger, Ya' frickin' Mick?  Want me to go get it for ya'?

OK, one question that has bothered me about the Foy scene, when Easy re-occupies their previous foxholes.
Joe Toy complains that someone shit in his foxhole.
Gaurneer (sp) says something like, looks like they didn't want to spend a lot of time above ground. (all the exploded trees and whatnot.)

My question- Didn't the Army have e-tools/shovels?  Why would you leave feces in your hole when you could easily sling it out, without exposing yourself, with the shovel (ala lacrosse)?

Heck, it was so cold, just wait til it freezes and throw it out.

I know, i think about weird stuff, all my time in was spent on ships so we didn't have to worry about waste-disposal- but hygiene was HUGE.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:29:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Members here are jacking it to AOC's tits.

This is bullshit.

View Quote

Well, not right now...
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

OK, one question that has bothered me about the Foy scene, when Easy re-occupies their previous foxholes.
Gaurneer (sp) says something like, looks like they didn't want to spend a lot of time above ground. (all the exploded trees and whatnot.)

My question- Didn't the Army have e-tools/shovels?  Why would you leave feces in your hole when you could easily sling it out, without exposing yourself, with the shovel (ala lacrosse)?

I know, i think about weird stuff, all my time in was spent on ships so we didn't have to worry about waste-disposal- but hygiene was HUGE.
View Quote

Mabye they were doing that while they were living in it but just before they were being rotated out, somebody decided to drop a present for the guys replacing them as a joke.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:33:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have the metal box DVD set.

View Quote

With the accordion?

Still one of the best series ever a decade later
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:46:28 PM EDT
[#9]
War is only worthwhile for the bankers and corporations.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:54:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I heard Mike Rowe’s podcast talking about beethoven last week and he mentioned why we fight and it made me start watching the series again. Every time i hear the pre jump commands  i get goosebumps.

Attachment Attached File

I took this photo in november of 2019 in Ste Marie Du Mont it is the monument in the background of some of the photos of easy company. I think every American should go there and see those beaches and swamps and hedgerows to understand the true gravity of what those men did.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:55:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Watching now on The History Channel.

Crossroads  (S1, Ep5)

It seems now that this was all a waste of lives and resources.

View Quote

Same could be said for most sacrafices that are needed to obtain something positive eta: that ends up being lost.

This is one reason liberals initially win.

Liberals always look to the future and figure out what they need to do in the present to mold the decades ahead to their desired ends.

When conservatives look forward they are focused on what could have been and end up lamenting the past. Instead of forcefully applying those lessons to the present, they sit and wait thinking their day will come.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:02:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
War is only worthwhile for the bankers and corporations.
View Quote

Friend only to the undertaker.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:05:07 PM EDT
[#13]
My son and I went to the Findlay, Ohio hamfest some years back, and on the way over, we listened to some of the D-Day radio coverage from my old radio broadcast collection. So, it was serendipity that we met Hank Grycz selling some gear in the flea market.

Besides the old radio gear, his table had a few books and a 101st Airborne patch, and I told my son that it was an amazing coincidence to find that patch, since we were just listening to those broadcasts. And then Hank said, "I was there." We enjoyed a nice long talk with him, and I remember one thing in particular, these many years later: he said that when he jumped into Normandy on D-Day, he weighed 105 pounds and was carrying 110 pounds of gear.

They were a different breed of man.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:22:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well this thread made me order the Blurays.

I've been wanting to watch it lately. I thought it used to be free on Prime but it appears it no longer is.
View Quote

Aaaand in less than 6 hours it was on my porch...

Guess I'm watching them tonight.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:23:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Best thing ever put on film or video.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:27:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
I took that as someone shit in it rotating out as one of those fucked up pranks that often happen in situations like that.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:17:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I do work for a living. I'm also an avid student of WW II, the Soviet Union and Communism in general.

Of course it could be worse. But in hindsight and when looking at where we are today, it seems clear that the American lives that were lost in Europe were lost in vain. It is not at all lessening their sacrifice in saying so.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Around the time B.O.B. came out, I was traveling alone in France and I made a journal entry while I was having a little picnic overlooking the remnants of the D-day landings on the beach at Arromanches.

I wrote about how all of the efforts, death, destruction....were all worth it.

I realized long ago that my assessment was shallow, and I don't think I have ever been more wrong.

Not to criticize, certainly not you in particular, but to mention people who feel this sentiment.

Do y’all work for a living? No matter how bad it is, it could ALWAYS be worse. One of my toolies used to say “It doesn’t get any better than this. It could, it just doesn’t.”

Be happy for your blessings and quit lessening the Sacrifices of our predecessors.

I do work for a living. I'm also an avid student of WW II, the Soviet Union and Communism in general.

Of course it could be worse. But in hindsight and when looking at where we are today, it seems clear that the American lives that were lost in Europe were lost in vain. It is not at all lessening their sacrifice in saying so.

Do you think the world would be a better place today if America had just sat back and watched Hitler take Europe? What do you think the world would be like if America hadn't joined the Allies against the Axis powers.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:28:17 AM EDT
[#18]
I used to like it when I was younger, but rewatching it again this weekend made me realize just how bad the acting was. It's almost on par with those low budget WW2 movies that keep getting cranked out by no-name studios nowadays.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:48:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I used to like it when I was younger, but rewatching it again this weekend made me realize just how bad the acting was. It's almost on par with those low budget WW2 movies that keep getting cranked out by no-name studios nowadays.
View Quote

Wrong.   Do you try to be wrong about everything?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:11:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I watched Ep1 tonight, I didn't have a problem with the acting.

The CGI of the planes flying was a little rough, but not terrible for its age.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:27:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Things would be much worse for the entire world had those brave men and women not sacrificed for us.
View Quote

Would they?
They bought us about 6 good decades.  
I'm thankful for their sacrifices, but glad so many of them didn't last to present day to see this bullshit we've become as a nation.
Would have broken their hearts.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:38:23 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

I was going the post this.  "The Breaking Point" is my favorite episode.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:47:28 AM EDT
[#23]
The whole show is great though.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:05:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Do you think the world would be a better place today if America had just sat back and watched Hitler take Europe? What do you think the world would be like if America hadn't joined the Allies against the Axis powers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Around the time B.O.B. came out, I was traveling alone in France and I made a journal entry while I was having a little picnic overlooking the remnants of the D-day landings on the beach at Arromanches.

I realized long ago that my assessment was shallow, and I don't think I have ever been more wrong.

Not to criticize, certainly not you in particular, but to mention people who feel this sentiment.

Do y’all work for a living? No matter how bad it is, it could ALWAYS be worse. One of my toolies used to say “It doesn’t get any better than this. It could, it just doesn’t.”

Be happy for your blessings and quit lessening the Sacrifices of our predecessors.

Better, worse, the same. You can speculate until the cows come home but there is no way to know.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:17:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This is bullshit.

View Quote

There is a thread to aoc tits? Link please :-)
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:03:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Met a few of the Easy Co guys long time ago - long long before the series was even thought about
Used to go to St Mere Eglise to meet the 505 PIR guys & the 327 Glider Riders
Had a few really good friends among the veterans

Saw the 101 guys in St Marie Du Mont
There used to be a little shop near the main square there run by an old woman with a ratty looking dog.
I guess she'd been around as a youngster when D-Day took place.
Her stuff was not cheap but she usually had a few items from the war that were worth looking at & mulling over buying while sipping come cider or Calvados

A mate was an extra in BoB - he had some good stills photos of himself in various uniforms and scenarios

Very good TV series.
Brave men all...
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:32:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
On Why we fight, did anyone catch the three dot sights on the 1911 pointed at the baker?
View Quote

Yes I did, one of many goofs to be found.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, but it's with hate.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:49:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Better, worse, the same. You can speculate until the cows come home but there is no way to know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, way to cop out. You're equivocating like some weak-kneed young leftist student.
I KNOW that the world is a better place because America and the Allies defeated the Nazis and Fascists in WWII.  The American sacrifices were not in vain.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:22:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

LOL, way to cop out. You're equivocating like some weak-kneed young leftist student.
I KNOW that the world is a better place because America and the Allies defeated the Nazis and Fascists in WWII.  The American sacrifices were not in vain.
View Quote

Sure thing, chief.

You don't KNOW shit......and I don't give a fuck about your opinion.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:49:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Sure thing, chief.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure thing, chief.

Tell me how you think things would be in Europe today if the US hadn't fought Hitler.  You've studied WWII, and suggested that America's losses in the ETO may have been in vain. You shouldn't make statements like that if you don't want to back them up.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:53:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

The only bad acting is by Jimmy Fallon. He pulls me right out of the movie.  Thankfully he is only in one scene.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:23:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You'll understand when you get to the episode called, "Why We Fight."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Watching now on The History Channel.

Crossroads  (S1, Ep5)

It seems now that this was all a waste of lives and resources.

You'll understand when you get to the episode called, "Why We Fight."

This is not a discussion worth having in GD.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top