Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/23/2021 8:23:25 PM EDT
Watching now on The History Channel.

Crossroads  (S1, Ep5)

It seems now that this was all a waste of lives and resources.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:25:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Why don't you own the blu-ray?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:26:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Still one of my favorites of all time.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:27:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

One could argue that statement describes war in general.

Great series, one of the very few things that made HBO not suck.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#4]
They did what they had to do for their time.  Now is your time...can you do as much?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Things would be much worse for the entire world had those brave men and women not sacrificed for us.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:34:22 PM EDT
[#6]
The assault on the MG-40 in this episode once again shows how good a tactician Dick Winters was.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Single best miniseries of all time. I really need to upgrade my DVD set to Blu-ray in case I ever cancel HBO.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:37:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The assault on the MG-40 in this episode once again shows how good a tactician Dick Winters was.
View Quote

Pretty sure that was an MG-42.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:37:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:37:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

One could argue that statement describes war in general.

Great series, one of the very few things that made HBO not suck.

View Quote

Watch their 2019 series Chernobyl. They even accidentally throw some pot shots at Communism. Plus it's darn compelling TV.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:39:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Crossroads  (S1, Ep5)

View Quote

Yeah; looks like we should have concentrated *everything* into Japan first, then attacked the Soviets from the East and let the Nazis and Soviets chew on each other a ton before eliminating them both.  

We also should have given McCarthy a LOT more credibility and resources.  

Hindsight, and all...
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:40:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the DVD boxed set.  Maybe time to get the Blu-ray.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:40:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Good series...

Great uncle (101st) died at Bastogne to a mortar.

My grandfather (Navy on an LST) was able to see him a few weeks prior to D-Day. When he witnessed the horrors of D-day he knew they’d never meet again.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Greatest thing ever filmed.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:42:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I've over a dozen book on the 101 in WW 2.  Guy Whidden is still alive and you can get his autographed book.  He jumped in Normandy and Holland where he was injured and became an instructor after that.  

He wa a machine gunner and it was in his book that I read about the issue of the M-1Carbine folder being a PoS (OK, he didn't say that, he said that it folded on him when shooting).  At Normandy he forgot the password (and couldn't find the clicker) and started speaking in English.  "I'm from xxxxxx and graduated from XYZ highschool!").

As an instructor, he had a lieutenant who decided not to do the log exercise (Pick up log, raise above head, lower to opposite shoulder, repeat).  The lieutenant objected stating he as an officer and would not take orders from an enlisted man (it was all paratrooper trainees that included enlisted, non-coms and commissioned).  Guy explained that while the officer was correct, he (Guy) was in command and that the lieutenant had to comply.  The Lt. refused.  Guy then pointed out that his buddies had to carry the weight he wouldn't carry and that was poor form for a teammate.  The Lt refused.  A more senior commissioned officer raised his hand asking for permission to speak.  Guy consented and the more senior officer pointed out that Guy was correct.  Then the captain in command came around and said, "Sergeant, is there a problem?"  Anyway, the captain took the reluctant lieutenant out of the group and got him discharged.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:44:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Members here are jacking it to AOC's tits.

This is bullshit.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:59:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Crossroads  (S1, Ep5)

View Quote

You'll understand when you get to the episode called, "Why We Fight."
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:04:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crossroads  (S1, Ep5)

It was a waste of effort considering that we now have a Totalitarian regime in control now.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:05:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's not Mozart
That's Beethoven
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:07:20 PM EDT
[#20]
He came back.

BAND OF BROTHERS - Lieutenant Speirs' run through the enemy lines (HD)
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:07:30 PM EDT
[#21]
The Western Allies should have kept the Eastern Front going as long as possible.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:13:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Things would be much worse for the entire world had those brave men and women not sacrificed for us.
View Quote

Yeah, thank God it prevented the rise of Soviet and Chinese communist superpowers. And Europe loves us too. We sure are lucky.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:48:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've over a dozen book on the 101 in WW 2.  Guy Whidden is still alive and you can get his autographed book.  He jumped in Normandy and Holland where he was injured and became an instructor after that.  

He wa a machine gunner and it was in his book that I read about the issue of the M-1Carbine folder being a PoS (OK, he didn't say that, he said that it folded on him when shooting).  At Normandy he forgot the password (and couldn't find the clicker) and started speaking in English.  "I'm from xxxxxx and graduated from XYZ highschool!").

As an instructor, he had a lieutenant who decided not to do the log exercise (Pick up log, raise above head, lower to opposite shoulder, repeat).  The lieutenant objected stating he as an officer and would not take orders from an enlisted man (it was all paratrooper trainees that included enlisted, non-coms and commissioned).  Guy explained that while the officer was correct, he (Guy) was in command and that the lieutenant had to comply.  The Lt. refused.  Guy then pointed out that his buddies had to carry the weight he wouldn't carry and that was poor form for a teammate.  The Lt refused.  A more senior commissioned officer raised his hand asking for permission to speak.  Guy consented and the more senior officer pointed out that Guy was correct.  Then the captain in command came around and said, "Sergeant, is there a problem?"  Anyway, the captain took the reluctant lieutenant out of the group and got him discharged.
View Quote

That's great, that's classic.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:52:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Wow can't believe it's been twenty years since it came out....
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:06:21 PM EDT
[#25]
"Why We Fight"
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:21:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Great series, I have the metal box set. Lots of good bonus features. I need to get the blueray set as well.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:16:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yeah, thank God it prevented the rise of Soviet and Chinese communist superpowers. And Europe loves us too. We sure are lucky.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?  Nazi-ism and Japanese imperialism were defeated in WWII. They were the major threats at that time.
Nixon's visit to Red China in '73 is what put the Chicoms on the road to being a superpower.
You should do a little bit of homework before you start spouting off about stuff.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:17:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It was a waste of effort considering that we now have a Totalitarian regime in control now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crossroads  (S1, Ep5)

I wonder how many descendants of Holocaust survivors in the US have voted Communist Democrat.    
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:23:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I own BOB and The Pacific box set. I get giddy every year when I break it out to watch it

Best series eva
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:25:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Great series, I have the metal box set. Lots of good bonus features. I need to get the blueray set as well.

View Quote
I have the metal box DVD set.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:37:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Checking Sobel on Wikipedia revealed this:

Sobel returned to the United States in 1945, and was honorably discharged from the Army on 18 March 1946. He worked as an accountant before being recalled to active duty during the Korean War.[9] He remained in the Army National Guard, eventually retiring at the rank of lieutenant colonel.[citation needed] He later married and had three children.[10]

In 1970, Sobel shot himself in the head with a small-caliber pistol in an attempted suicide.[11] The bullet entered his left temple, passed behind his eyes, and exited the other side of his head. This severed his optic nerves and left him blind.[11] Soon afterward, he began living at a VA assisted-living facility in Waukegan, Illinois. He died there of malnutrition on 30 September 1987.[11][12] No memorial services were held for him.[11]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:13:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Checking Sobel on Wikipedia revealed this:

Sobel returned to the United States in 1945, and was honorably discharged from the Army on 18 March 1946. He worked as an accountant before being recalled to active duty during the Korean War.[9] He remained in the Army National Guard, eventually retiring at the rank of lieutenant colonel.[citation needed] He later married and had three children.[10]

In 1970, Sobel shot himself in the head with a small-caliber pistol in an attempted suicide.[11] The bullet entered his left temple, passed behind his eyes, and exited the other side of his head. This severed his optic nerves and left him blind.[11] Soon afterward, he began living at a VA assisted-living facility in Waukegan, Illinois. He died there of malnutrition on 30 September 1987.[11][12] No memorial services were held for him.[11]
View Quote

Any time Band of Brothers gets its own thread, this sad story gets mentioned.  

Even though Easy Company despised Sobel, many members of the company still sought to include him in their reunion organization; one E Company member (I forget who) even paid his annual dues for a time (Sobel never attended any reunion events).  

Yes, he was/would've been a terrible combat leader; yes, he was quite a jackass of a training environment leader, too- but, many E Co members credit his actions with contributing to the Company's success.  His aggression and severity made the men of the company bond so well that they were especially equipped to endure tremendous hardships and fight with distinction during every single campaign in the war.  Sobel was an unlikable jerk, but his works did yield fruit- it's a tragedy that his end went the way it did.  

Can't remember where I read the above: it was either Ambrose's account of the company, the Biggest Brother account of Winters, or the account written by Donald Malarkey (I think that was called Easy Company Soldier).
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:54:17 PM EDT
[#33]
in the series,
Band of Brothers: interview&flashbacks
I think the most poignant scene was when Winters sat down with the general

sorry about the poor quality.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:00:17 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

Balls of steel. That man had em.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:00:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Brecourt Manor? That was textbook awesomeness.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:03:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:14:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Around the time B.O.B. came out, I was traveling alone in France and I made a journal entry while I was having a little picnic overlooking the remnants of the D-day landings on the beach at Arromanches.

I wrote about how all of the efforts, death, destruction....were all worth it.

I realized long ago that my assessment was shallow, and I don't think I have ever been more wrong.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:28:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Any time Band of Brothers gets its own thread, this sad story gets mentioned.  

Even though Easy Company despised Sobel, many members of the company still sought to include him in their reunion organization; one E Company member (I forget who) even paid his annual dues for a time (Sobel never attended any reunion events).  

Yes, he was/would've been a terrible combat leader; yes, he was quite a jackass of a training environment leader, too- but, many E Co members credit his actions with contributing to the Company's success.  His aggression and severity made the men of the company bond so well that they were especially equipped to endure tremendous hardships and fight with distinction during every single campaign in the war.  Sobel was an unlikable jerk, but his works did yield fruit- it's a tragedy that his end went the way it did.  

Can't remember where I read the above: it was either Ambrose's account of the company, the Biggest Brother account of Winters, or the account written by Donald Malarkey (I think that was called Easy Company Soldier).
View Quote

That was Wild Bill that paid his dues. He spoke openly about how he hated his techniques but credited his results. I believe Sobel's son attended at least one reunion.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:35:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Around the time B.O.B. came out, I was traveling alone in France and I made a journal entry while I was having a little picnic overlooking the remnants of the D-day landings on the beach at Arromanches.

I realized long ago that my assessment was shallow, and I don't think I have ever been more wrong.
View Quote

Not to criticize, certainly not you in particular, but to mention people who feel this sentiment.

Do y’all work for a living? No matter how bad it is, it could ALWAYS be worse. One of my toolies used to say “It doesn’t get any better than this. It could, it just doesn’t.”

Be happy for your blessings and quit lessening the Sacrifices of our predecessors.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Spiers! Get yourself over here!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:40:33 PM EDT
[#41]
One of my favorite scenes.

Band of Brothers-German General's Farewell Address
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:42:05 PM EDT
[#42]
OP, you don’t own the box set?

I’m reassigning you to Chilton Foliat.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Well this thread made me order the Blurays.

I've been wanting to watch it lately. I thought it used to be free on Prime but it appears it no longer is.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:51:32 PM EDT
[#44]
I knew a person from Easy Company, he was my high school shop teacher for electricity / electronics.  A real hero.

Forrest Guth
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Not to criticize, certainly not you in particular, but to mention people who feel this sentiment.

Do y’all work for a living? No matter how bad it is, it could ALWAYS be worse. One of my toolies used to say “It doesn’t get any better than this. It could, it just doesn’t.”

Be happy for your blessings and quit lessening the Sacrifices of our predecessors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do work for a living. I'm also an avid student of WW II, the Soviet Union and Communism in general.

Of course it could be worse. But in hindsight and when looking at where we are today, it seems clear that the American lives that were lost in Europe were lost in vain. It is not at all lessening their sacrifice in saying so.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:11:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Pretty sure that was an MG-42.
View Quote

No it was an MP42
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:16:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Twattyers......
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Spiers! Get yourself over here!
View Quote

To me, that's one of the best scenes in the entire series.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:23:32 PM EDT
[#49]
FPNI, also grabbed generation kill set for cheap from hbo awhile back. Solid!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:23:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Assholes being assholes.

Graffiti & Vandalism at Band of Brothers Site!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top