BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:21:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is bigger than that. It isn't The Cloud, it is the society at large.

Ar15.com is in The Cloud. Did The Cloudcut them off? Nope. It was their registrar. Do you know the difference?

You go ahead and build your own web server, and your own firewall, and your own database server, and duplicate it across town, and set up servers around the country, or around the world to distribute your content. Then tell me what happens when your domain is removed from the registry, your certificates are invalidated, your ISP cuts you off and your landlord tears up your lease.

The Cloud isn't the problem. The sickness and hysteria, more deadly than COVID-19, AIDS, or the bubonic plague ever were has festered in our society. You think getting kicked off the internet is bad? You wait until your water gets shut off for having a Trump sign, or you can't get a car loan, or job because of who you voted for.

That's the end game. This is cultural revolution, baby...and they are in it to win it!
View Quote

"The Cloud" still has problems with data security, and that is not an insignificant issue.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:27:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If this site could be hosted 100% by Brownells, that would be SO much easier.

I totally understand the money and manpower involved in that, though. And why it may not be feasible for them. But if they could do it, they'd never have to worry about being de-platformed as they would hold 100% control over 100% of their content.
View Quote

It's been pointed out several times already, but I'm not sure people get it yet. In order to connect your servers to the net, you need access to a backbone trunk line and access to all the nodes for your traffic. It's not necessary to blockade the sea lanes when you can close the port.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:27:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

For me, moving workloads to the cloud is not about cost savings, which may or may not happen. It's about concentrating on my core business. Sure, I'm capable of building a datacenter, but I've installed enough operating systems and swapped enough hard drives for a lifetime. I have more important stuff to do, thank you very much.

Also, Brownells is hosted on Amazon.
View Quote

Amzon lives in google.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:31:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Nailed it. Coupled with the UBI that IS coming, we're heading towards a social credit system like China. Want to buy guns or ammo? Sorry your monthly "stimulus payment" doesn't allow for that. Want to support a conservative business? Sorry they're on the blacklist. Etc. Etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ar15.com is in The Cloud. Did The Cloudcut them off? Nope. It was their registrar. Do you know the difference?

You go ahead and build your own web server, and your own firewall, and your own database server, and duplicate it across town, and set up servers around the country, or around the world to distribute your content. Then tell me what happens when your domain is removed from the registry, your certificates are invalidated, your ISP cuts you off and your landlord tears up your lease.

The Cloud isn't the problem. The sickness and hysteria, more deadly than COVID-19, AIDS, or the bubonic plague ever were has festered in our society. You think getting kicked off the internet is bad? You wait until your water gets shut off for having a Trump sign, or you can't get a car loan, or job because of who you voted for.

That's the end game. This is cultural revolution, baby...and they are in it to win it!

Nailed it. Coupled with the UBI that IS coming, we're heading towards a social credit system like China. Want to buy guns or ammo? Sorry your monthly "stimulus payment" doesn't allow for that. Want to support a conservative business? Sorry they're on the blacklist. Etc. Etc.

And this will lead us to succession of a lot of states
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:05:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

And this will lead us to succession of a lot of states
View Quote

secession
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:54:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I made a thread regarding "Internet Bill Of Rights" 3 years ago and was firmly shouted down for being paranoid.  

Covered many of these same issues, along with others regarding privacy (or lack of) and tracking and not being able to see your won data that they save and profile you with.   They have run diagnosing various health problems from how you move and walk in test conditions (from phone data), that could be applied with opt in to get people to a doctor early, I mean, there's some "good" applications, but they are heavily outnumbered by the absolute surrendering of freedom to a private company that responds to nobody.

Right now with all the data they have, it's a Pre-crime system straight out of "Minority Report", hence the booting of anybody they see as denting their fragile ship preemptively.
View Quote

@brass

In my humble opinion, I don’t see how people are in any position to start building institutions that compete with the existing monopoly if they want them to remain true to their intent.

I see it like building a house. If they start now it’s like building on the shores of an ocean beach. If something is to be built that lasts, and remains true, it should be built on a solid foundation, far from these shifting sands, and ebbs & flows of history.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:58:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I feel this is getting closer to the reality of the situation, but I disagree with the motives, and end goals mentioned. Although those will be the surface reasons given for the first wave.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:08:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Please explain
View Quote

For personal home use, you can buy a NAS chassis and NAS hard drives, attach them to your home's internet router, install the operating software on the NAS, install the connection apps on any devices, and have your own "cloud server". On a box the size of a toaster oven.

You put what you want on it. No data limits or pay-per-data. No sudden cloud provider going out of business and having to suddenly find another and move all your data.
Accessible from anywhere.

If you copy your DVDs or Blue Ray's to it, it becomes your own netflix.
Your files are accessible as long as you have internet connection and power to your house.

I use a Synology NAS along with a raspberry pi running OpenVPN & pihole, which gives us a VPN (which essentially makes any device you're using 'use your home's internet connection'), your own DNS adblocker (blocking the ad's ip address so you never even see them), and a cloud server. Very convenient when you're away from home as often as I seem to be lately.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

@Darkstar117 can you give me an overview of your build so I know what to buy? Assuming a NAS, and some sort of personal cloud software. A fixed ip address with your isp?
View Quote

We're using:
Synology 1618+, with 6 12TB WD Red drives in RAID5 config.
Raspberry Pi 4, with OpenVPN & PiHole.

The standard Synology software is easy to install and use. The access app is available for iOS and droid. Connecting another computer to it is easy with the included Synology Quick Connect software.

You don't really need the Pi, but we wanted the VPN & adblocking it allows.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

6 12TB WD Red drives in RAID5 config.

View Quote

holy shit you better have good backups
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:25:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

It supports a (one) complete drive failure, and the NAS will tell you when a drive is going bad.
If you're paranoid, then format RAID6.

WD Red Pro drives have a 5 year warranty. We'll most likely upgrade before then anyway.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:28:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It supports a (one) complete drive failure, and the NAS will tell you when a drive is going bad.
View Quote

You need to do a little research man, RAID 5 on huge drives is a really bad idea. This has been a thing for a bunch of years now.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:32:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Who can compete against Amazon, Microsoft, and Google?  Maybe one of them would piss off Elon enough for him to crank up his own cloud.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There seems to be a business opportunity for "politically agnostic" cloud providers. Are there none?

Who can compete against Amazon, Microsoft, and Google?  Maybe one of them would piss off Elon enough for him to crank up his own cloud.

Elon needs to create his own cloud company anyways to pair up with Starlink.
Problem is that Google is heavily invested in Starlink.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:33:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You need to do a little research man, RAID 5 on huge drives is a really bad idea. This has been a thing for a bunch of years now.
View Quote

Been doing it for years and never had a problem.

Had an old drive fail, and the replacement drive's restore from the parity worked just fine.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:40:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Been doing it for years and never had a problem.

Had an old drive fail, and the replacement drive's restore from the parity worked just fine.
View Quote

Sounds good, take care.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:53:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

For personal home use, you can buy a NAS chassis and NAS hard drives, attach them to your home's internet router, install the operating software on the NAS, install the connection apps on any devices, and have your own "cloud server". On a box the size of a toaster oven.

You put what you want on it. No data limits or pay-per-data. No sudden cloud provider going out of business and having to suddenly find another and move all your data.
Accessible from anywhere.

If you copy your DVDs or Blue Ray's to it, it becomes your own netflix.
Your files are accessible as long as you have internet connection and power to your house.

I use a Synology NAS along with a raspberry pi running OpenVPN & pihole, which gives us a VPN (which essentially makes any device you're using 'use your home's internet connection'), your own DNS adblocker (blocking the ad's ip address so you never even see them), and a cloud server. Very convenient when you're away from home as often as I seem to be lately.
View Quote

"If you copy your DVDs or Blue Ray's to it" - what format do you use?   mkv? mp4?   BUP, VOB and IFOs?   is that conversion a real headache with hundreds of legally owned DVDs?  Their different idiotic menuing systems, etc?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:54:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just stop working and paying taxes. If everyone collapsed it, shit would freeze.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:00:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There seems to be a business opportunity for "politically agnostic" cloud providers. Are there none?

It’s so warm...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:04:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Just stop working and paying taxes. If everyone collapsed it, shit would freeze.
View Quote

Not paying taxes might not work out well if you have land, but I only plan on using commerce enough to survive & not be put in jail..

The less I do it, the better I feel.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:18:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

WD Red Pro drives have a 5 year warranty. We'll most likely upgrade before then anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

RAID is not a backup solution.

Someone deletes the one copy of an important file you have on your RAID array and it's gone.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:31:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I run 3TB drives and a rebuild easily takes a day. I can't imagine what it's like on drives 5 times as dense.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:36:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have 100% avoided cloud storage personally and professionally since it became a thing.  It's fucking stupid and blatantly risky.
View Quote
25 years ago I routinely did daily, weekly and monthly memory backups onto tape.
Where does the Cloud go to for backups?

Computer memory is so cheap these days I wonder why people need to back things up on the cloud.
Redundant redundancy can be so cheap.

Flash drives routinely hold more information today than the Big Boys and their massive Hard Drives when I first got into IT.  I remember looking at a tape cartridge and reading it specifying it could hold up to 800 MB.  "Tape backups are so cheap" I was once told.  300 tapes used per night.  Most of those tapes never got past a quarter full.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:59:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Synology has solutions for almost all the vulnerabilities brought up in this thread (assuming you’re not a big business).
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:12:58 PM EDT
[#24]
What if your cloud provider doesn't censor, but one day, they just go bankrupt?  Or one of the companies they rely on for services or storage goes bankrupt?

Can't pay the electrical bills or the staff salaries.  Is a judge going to order them to keep things up and running for a time?  Seems like a gamble.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#25]
There is no cloud, it’s just someone else’s computer.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:27:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Synology has solutions for almost all the vulnerabilities brought up in this thread (assuming you’re not a big business).
View Quote

RAID 5 on huge drives isn't a Synology problem, their products are fine.  It's a drive problem.  But maybe the whole industry is wrong and some guy running a NAS at his house knows better than everyone else.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:34:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
There is no cloud, it’s just someone else’s computer.
View Quote

Yeah, I get that. Someone else's computer (actually a colo or datacenter) may be in another country. Or your data may be in Ireland and replicated in Greece and Japan. Part of it may be here or there and change on a daily basis.

I'm not even sure Amazon has control of where it physically resides or if it's REALLY erased when you decide to stop using them.  Way too much loss of control.  Plus, what laws dictate how that data is treated depending on what its location is?

If Amazon de-platforms someone and some of their data is on a server farm in Spain because an administrator decided to click and drag it over there, did they violate any laws in Spain when they de-platformed someone?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Someone deletes the one copy of an important file you have on your RAID array and it's gone.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Huh?
Are you confusing me saying that a RAID protects from a hard drive failure with saying that a RAID is somehow a data backup?

Quoted:
RAID 5 on huge drives isn't a Synology problem, their products are fine.  It's a drive problem.  But maybe the whole industry is wrong and some guy running a NAS at his house knows better than everyone else.

I have the feeling that somehow I have ruffled a Jimmy or two in this thread.
I'm well aware of the risks.
Let it go.
It's not your problem how I run my NAS.

But in the spirit of this thread, and truly meaning no disrespect:
Explain to the rest of the us about data error rates with large drives, regardless of RAID type.
Explain the actual (and not "industry estimated") occurances of such, how many detrimental cases you personally have come across, and solutions to such.
Explain what a good home NAS should consist of, and how it should be set up.
Please use your experience to actually educate instead of "I know more" and "you must know better than everyone else".
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
"If you copy your DVDs or Blue Ray's to it" - what format do you use?   mkv? mp4?   BUP, VOB and IFOs?   is that conversion a real headache with hundreds of legally owned DVDs?  Their different idiotic menuing systems, etc?
View Quote

I usually try to use .mkv, but if too much of a pain I'll use .mp4.

There are plenty of good ripping programs out there.
There are several review comparisons on youtube.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:09:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Explain the actual (and not "industry estimated") occurances of such, how many detrimental cases you personally have come across, and solutions to such.

View Quote

Obviously since I haven't seen it happen, it must be a hoax.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:15:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Obviously since I haven't seen it happen, it must be a hoax.  Good luck.
View Quote

Never ever said it was a hoax.
You still have two more questions to answer.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Putting the cloud in quotes is the most boomer thing I've seen today
View Quote

Kinda puts a new spin on old man yells at cloud though, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Never ever said it was a hoax.
You still have two more questions to answer.
Good luck.
View Quote

I'm not going to argue with someone who doesn't know what they're doing.  If you want to believe I'm making this up, go ahead.  RAID 5 on big drives is commonly known to be a bad idea.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:50:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm not going to argue with someone who doesn't know what they're doing.  If you want to believe I'm making this up, go ahead.  RAID 5 on big drives is commonly known to be a bad idea.
View Quote

I am not arguing and mean no disrespect.
I know you're not making it up, as I read those same pages before I made my decision. I never said it was a false issue.
They're there for a reason, but so are entire websites devoted to saying 5g is communist mind control.

Look, I'm asking you for an educated opinion, because we only have those web pages to go on.
Some seem a wholey alarmist, and some seem to say it's no big deal.
Yes, I'm not the best with servers. That is no secret. This is your perfect chance to educate us.
Real world occurances outside of bench tests, internet forums, tech conventions, and theoretics.
We would rather trust an educated person here more than those pages.

Again. Not arguing, or intending any disrespect.
I'm just asking for a better explanation of the risks and how common the data error problem is in dense HDDs.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:02:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Don’t trust RAID for file storage.  You can get some disk performance benefits from RAID and you can get some file redundancy, but there is a lot of risk involved.  Anything important should have another backup away from the array.  This could be to a USB drive, tape, or cloud storage.  My main job is recovering servers with failed arrays.  Primarily RAID 1 and RAID 1+0 arrays.  Hard drives don’t always die one at a time.  Sometimes the controller or the backplane goes out.  There are a bunch of things that will corrupt and toast your array.  It sucks balls when it happens.  You are best prepared when you plan for it and assume it will happen at the very worst time possible.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:03:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'm just asking for a better explanation of the risks and how common the data error problem is in dense HDDs.
View Quote

It's spelled out pretty plainly in a lot of those links.  You can only lose one drive in a RAID 5, and the bigger the drives get, the longer the array is going to take to rebuild.  If you have aging drives, and especially consumer SATA drives, the chances of having a read error during that long rebuild is pretty high.  When that happens, you've lost the whole array.  

Now, that doesn't mean that it won't ever work, or that every time you lose a drive you're going to lose the whole array.  But the risk is higher.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:06:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Don’t trust RAID for file storage.  You can get some disk performance benefits from RAID and you can get some file redundancy, but there is a lot of risk involved.  Anything important should have another backup away from the array.  This could be to a USB drive, tape, or cloud storage.  My main job is recovering servers with failed arrays.  Primarily RAID 1 and RAID 1+0 arrays.  Hard drives don’t always die one at a time.  Sometimes the controller or the backplane goes out.  There are a bunch of things that will corrupt and toast your array.  It sucks balls when it happens.  You are best prepared when you plan for it and assume it will happen at the very worst time possible.
View Quote

RAID is not backup, it never has been.  No one who knows what they're doing would ever suggest you go without backups, no matter what you're using for primary storage.  

But aside from that, are you really suggesting against redundancy?  Do you think redundant power supplies are bad too, because one of them might fail?  
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:10:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Amazon specifically has a clause in their contract that they can shut you down with minimal notice for any or no reason at all without recourse.  literally nobody else has that.  

you have options, I suggest you use them;

co-locate on your own hardware
run your own datacenter (Remember when hillary had a mail server in her bathroom.  Amazon wasnt shutting that down now were they!)
run on containers in the cloud so you can be portable
but whatever you do, DONT code to AWS serverless infra..  that is the kiss of death.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:12:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
While not cheap, you can put together your own server for around the price of a well-equipped AR.
You can have your own personal netflix and cloud.

It's one of the best decisions we have ever made.
View Quote

My Brother built his own server for his business, multiple off line back ups, daily physical drive swap.

His company got ransom wared by some Russians. Pfft. Page back up in hours, website rebuilt in a day or so.

Fuck the Cloud.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:20:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

RAID is not backup, it never has been.  No one who knows what they're doing would ever suggest you go without backups, no matter what you're using for primary storage.  

But aside from that, are you really suggesting against redundancy?  Do you think redundant power supplies are bad too, because one of them might fail?  
View Quote

I didn’t make a case against redundancy.  Hard to get more redundant than having mirrored drives.  Just pointed out that anything important should be backed up and stored elsewhere.  RAID does work most of the time to keep your system running while you source and replace a failed/failing drive.  But the exceptions will bite you if you are not prepared with a current backup of the data stored on an array.  It doesn’t take much to screw up an array.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:29:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I didn’t make a case against redundancy.  Hard to get more redundant than having mirrored drives.  Just pointed out that anything important should be backed up and stored elsewhere.  RAID does work most of the time to keep your system running while you source and replace a failed/failing drive.  But the exceptions will bite you if you are not prepared with a current backup of the data stored on an array.  It doesn’t take much to screw up an array.
View Quote

I agree, but don't forget about RAID 10.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:30:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
So you're a business looking at the de-platformings and site shutdowns and bannings going on because of one's politcal views, affiliations or associations. Literally Blackmail.

Now, you can be a flooring company, a pet groomer, a dental office, or a fortune 500 company.  Over the years, you've slowly shut down your company server rooms and transferred everything in to "the cloud" with some provider:  Amazon, Digital Ocean, Rackspace, Softlayer or whoever.  You've moved your employee records, your financial statements, your intellectual property, your company websites and your data in to someone else's control.

At anytime in the future, you can be cancelled because of something an employee or a supplier posts! It may not even be deemed bad today, but in the future, who knows.  You can literally lose your business because of something someone says. EVEN A COMPETITOR CAN SET YOU UP FOR A FALL. They pose as one of your employees, post some unsavory stuff, and you are cancelled. Your livelihood gone. Do you think a judge is going to protect you?  Do you think a Internet Service Provider is going to honor contracts?  Don't count on it.

I wonder how long before software licenses are cancelled because you are not politically correct?

If I'm a business today, I'm buying my own servers, IT infrastructure and in-house IT staff, and getting my data out of the cloud, out of the colo, out of the datacenters and back under MY control in MY server room on MY property if I'm able to before that big anvil in Silicon Valley falls on me and puts my company under and all my employees out of work. I may go overseas for registration of domain names, get multiple paths to the intertubes just to stay on line.

Your business depends on it.  The United States has become very unpredictable.  Why risk your livelihood to knuckleheads on a power trip with an ever changing agenda and an iron-fisted appetite to destroy anyone who doesn't agree with them???
View Quote

28 years in that industry. Hell yes brother, own, manage. operate your own hardware! Good move!
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:47:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Digital Ocean, IBM, Oracle, Rackspace.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:54:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You can't compete with the prices.   The big companies operate these systems with a few H1B's in the USA, and an unlimited supply of $5/hour workers offshore.  

My dentist recently got rid of software running on a 10 year old server in his closet.  Now he's paying $500/month for access to cloud software that manages his billing, files all his claims, manages his patient records.  
He no longer has any software to update, no server maintenance, no server problems...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I'm a business today, I'm buying my own servers, IT infrastructure and in-house IT staff, and getting my data out of the cloud, out of the colo, out of the datacenters and back under MY control in MY server room on MY property....

You can't compete with the prices.   The big companies operate these systems with a few H1B's in the USA, and an unlimited supply of $5/hour workers offshore.  

My dentist recently got rid of software running on a 10 year old server in his closet.  Now he's paying $500/month for access to cloud software that manages his billing, files all his claims, manages his patient records.  
He no longer has any software to update, no server maintenance, no server problems...  
This, if you believe the "solution" is simply "buy our own equipment"....you might want to just retire.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:58:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't make a case against redundancy.  Hard to get more redundant than having mirrored drives.  Just pointed out that anything important should be backed up and stored elsewhere.  RAID does work most of the time to keep your system running while you source and replace a failed/failing drive.  But the exceptions will bite you if you are not prepared with a current backup of the data stored on an array.  It doesn't take much to screw up an array.

I see a total array failure of raid 10 a few times a year. And that's on enterprise level gear. Nothing is perfect.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:01:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I see a total array failure of raid 10 a few times a year. And that's on enterprise level gear. Nothing is perfect.
View Quote

My point is that mirroring is also RAID, not that RAID 10 is magic.  I hope that the comment "Don't count on RAID" just meant RAID 5.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:07:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

My point is that mirroring is also RAID, not that RAID 10 is magic.  I hope that the comment "Don't count on RAID" just meant RAID 5.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

inzane123 is pretty spot on with his statement. No matter the raid setup backups are important. Some setups are better than others but they can and will fail.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:11:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
inzane123 is pretty spot on with his statement. No matter the raid setup backups are important. Some setups are better than others but they can and will fail.
View Quote

I have to admit I didn't think there was anyone left who didn't know that.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:13:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I'm a business today, I'm buying my own servers, IT infrastructure and in-house IT staff, and getting my data out of the cloud, out of the colo, out of the datacenters and back under MY control in MY server room on MY property....

And the part that a lot of people miss is that this is all well and good until they get massively fucked by those H1B's/cheap labor, or some other aspect (like deplatforming).   Bunch of people act like it can't or won't happen.  Well, it's happening.

Quoted:

I believe China is near there now.

CA is already shutting off utilities as a punitive measure for various things.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:15:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Yep, amazon especially just killed a lot of trust.
View Quote

Sounds like a potential business opportunity....unclouding businesses.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top