Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 10:39:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Wasn't there a world class free diver who went down in his final dive, 200+ft head first in the abyss, and was never seen again?
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 10:48:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My dive buddy and I found an obscure sink/spring outside of Gainesville.  We had to haul our gear about 100 feet down a slope, and then descend about 80 feet to the bottom, where we found a Cadillac, a van, and a motorcycle. We thought about trying to get into the trunk of the Caddy to look for a body but decided against it.

My buddy swam away from me at one point, and all of a sudden I saw him kicking really hard and making very little progress away from what looked like a cave entrance.  I motioned for him to swim sideways (like you would to escape a riptide) and he was able to get away from the suction current.

Turns out the hole led to a big tube that traveled about 1/4 mile under the main road separating where we were from a big lake.
View Quote

I may have dove that same spring back in the 80s.  Out past Hawthorne area, big silt mound in the middle?
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 10:52:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Probably just an old sea tale but I guess they also found hooked "beaks" imbedded in the steel. Supposedly these beaks are what is inside the suction cup of a squid or octopus. Normally they are tiny, these were several inches long.  Like I said, probably just a story made up to scare new Sailors........but still....
View Quote

U.S.S. Stien

USS Stein: The Ship Attacked by a Monster Squid. Original Documentary Footage

Link Posted: 12/11/2020 10:53:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Also
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:02:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That's a Humboldt Squid.  They're scary SOBs.  Their tentacles are full of suckers with sharp teeth, they travel in large groups, and even eat each other on occasion.  They can change color and even communicate with each other, and hunt cooperatively.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That's a Humboldt Squid.  They're scary SOBs.  Their tentacles are full of suckers with sharp teeth, they travel in large groups, and even eat each other on occasion.  They can change color and even communicate with each other, and hunt cooperatively.

I've seen a documentary about Humbolts.  One diver was grabbed by a Humbolt and pulled down quickly.  So quickly and so deep that his ear drums ruptured.  There's also stories of fishermen out fishing by themselves disappearing.....

Quoted:
Wasn't there a story of a Navy ship that collided with something at sea and when they got back to drydock they found huge gouges in the sonar dome and gigantic suction cup marks?

IIRC, it was on Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious World.  The best explanation is that a Giant or Colossal squid thought the sonar bulge was a whale and went after it.

When you get in the water, you drop several notches on the food chain.....
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:04:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Found a cool one on Reddit, not scary but cool nonetheless:

I dive, but I don't night dive. My father did, though, and he came back with this story. I've shared it before on Reddit, so you might have heard of it.

He was swimming in the darkness and he was dimly aware of someone next to him. Not exactly unusual. There were several people in the water, but he was concerned about why their light might be off. Without that light, there's nothing to see. It's just an empty void. Before he could shine his light on this person, he became aware of the fact that his dive partner was on his other side. So either whoever was next to him was separated from their dive buddy...

Or it wasn't a person at all.

The need to know caused him to shine his light, tentatively, at the shape, revealing a massive barracuda, keeping pace with him. Rightfully surprised, he moved back a bit, but the creature just kept near him. Dredging up some boldness, he moved towards it, and it moved away from him, always keeping that comfortable distance between them.

After a moment, my father continued on, trying to put the thought of the predator out of his mind as it continued to shadow him. It didn't take long for the beam of his flashlight to illuminate a fish, and then, in an explosion of speed and bubbles, the barracuda shot out of the darkness and intercepted the fish, retreating back into the inky waters, only to return to my father's side a few heartbeats later.

This kept up, for as long as the dive did. The barracuda stayed close, using my father's light for hunting. When at last the time came to return to the boat, the barracuda remained by his side until they reached the craft, then spun in the darkness and dove away.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:04:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Seeing Gray Whales swim by off of the coast of California during migration season isn’t that unusual. I had one swim 20 ft under me at San Clemente Island.

Back in the late 60’s me and a friend found a diver’s body on the ocean floor off of the Coronado Islands. We tried to recover it. The body separated at the waist as we were pulling it up on the swim step. We forgot to dump the weight belt. The bottoms half sank back down. We were so freaked out that we left it there. When we got the top back to San Diego, the Coast Guard took over.

It was kind of a big deal because we were in Mexican waters when we pulled it aboard. The boat belonged to my friend’s father; it was berthed at the marina three slips down from the Juarez, the Mexican Federal Police patrol boat. We got to know the Mexican Police who operated the boat quite well after that. They didn’t make a big deal about it.  We gave then the triangulation data.  I don’t think they found the other half of the body.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:08:07 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote
Cool as shit.

that brings back memories of when I would wait for my dad to get off his boat at 32nd street after finishing a deployment
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:09:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Anyone who lives near a big reservoir/dam has that one friend who has a friend who's uncle's 2nd cousins best friend is a diver. That diver went diving in so-and-so reservoir and saw a catfish the size of a VW bug and now refuses to dive there anymore.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:10:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
East pass, Destin.  I was diving in zero visibility testing out my nav skills.
I was standing on the bottom when I felt pressure on my back.  
I turned my head and just saw the side of something passing by me.
Also, over 100” down on a night dive off Destin my light imploded.  
Back in the 80’s.  
My gauges didn’t have a light.  
I watched my buddy’s light stick ( on his tank) disappear around some debris....
Very lucky I didn’t die.  Came up at the end of the rope also. Could’ve been a long night!
View Quote

You’re lucky that bull wasn’t hungry.  They’re assholes.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:28:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Anyone who lives near a big reservoir/dam has that one friend who has a friend who's uncle's 2nd cousins best friend is a diver. That diver went diving in so-and-so reservoir and saw a catfish the size of a VW bug and now refuses to dive there anymore.
View Quote
Lol right? I think every damned dam in America has this story. I think even Jeremy Wade would go out to these dams and try and fish out these huge catfish.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:31:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Another interesting one I found for those who are following:

Used to do saturation diving. I did work on oil rigs. It's pretty spooky down there. No particularly "spooky scary seamonster" stories, but it's not a nice place.

For one, it's dark as a MOTHERFUCKER. Pitch black and your lamp barely goes more than a few yards effectively. The water is filled with particles so it's kind of like shining a light into smoke. It's seriously like being in a void and the only things in this void are you and the rig. I never disconnected from it longer than I had to. It just feels like you can fall forever.

As for spooky scary seamonsters, I never really saw any. Don't get me wrong, you see shit a lot. The mixture you're breathing combined with the pressure can and will fuck with your senses. More than a few times I saw something big and fast moving just beyond my light. Sound doesn't travel well in water but you can hear the rig popping and other shit, always really deep tones.

You see a bunch of really weird fucking fish though. No joke, divers usually see a lot of fish that aren't identified. The aquanauts have to do that but they can never get the funding to come down and see what we see, so we just live with the aliens. We named a few but you don't really see them often and rarely more than two or three times. Some fish are drawn to the lamp, but others stay the fuck away from it.

I think the most interesting is what the mixture and depth does to your brain. When you've been out in the water for a while and literally only you and the piece of metal you're clinging to are the only things that seem to exist, your brain tries to fill the void. At least, I hope it was my brain doing that.

The rig popping is really ominous because it's like a bass drum that's all around you and the only sound in almost absolute silence. You can see things moving in the dark and when you look at them, your lamp only goes ten yards or so and all it's hitting are the particles in the water. This happens a few times and you're certain you're not alone down there. You feel like you're being hunted. A lot of guys die because they try and rush and that's something you can't do underwater, no matter how much you want to. You kind of got to get it in your head that "well shit I hope it doesn't eat me" and keep working. It can be hard not to panic. They teach you tactical breathing both to conserve and to keep you from losing it.

You start focusing really god damn hard on that tactical breathing when you swear you saw something on the edge of your vision, felt the water move against your back, and heard the shift.

Another story came to mind: I was out doing my job one time in the absolute darkness of the void. I had been out a good thirty or forty-five minutes when I saw something swish over the top of my vision really fast. I looked around, couldn't see anything. Spooked me good and so I just focused on my tactical breathing and not losing my fingers. A minute passed and I saw something go a little behind the pylon and down. I was 100% sure it was a kraken or some shit. Another minute passes and then this two or so foot fish comes swimming up to me. Weird looking motherfucker. Pale and long and skinny with BIG eyes and a bigger mouth. It just kind of darted around me for a bit, just hanging out with me while I worked. When I was done, he took off. Cool fish bro.

I told the story to a buddy of mine and he suggested that the fish hung around me because of my light. A lot of things don't approach the light down there. He was probably using me for shelter from something bigger and meaner. How terrifying.

On the topic of death: The pay was good but the only place it could really get you was dead eventually. I know of many people who died and I personally knew two. One panicked while he was working, as I understand, and fucked himself up. Getting hurt down there is a death sentence. You can't get back up in time to get patched up. My other buddy died because they fucked up his mixture. You can't put too much oxygen in the tank because it doesn't react well at depth. He went down and had a seizure due to it. Big investigation after that one.

I think the closest I ever came to dying was when I went on an excursion, which is where you go to a different depth than the bell is at, and was about to come back up when I got tangled in my gear really bad. I lost track of it as I went back and forth around the pylons. Normally it's pretty easy to get out of, but it got caught under my helmet which is bad for a variety of reasons. Also, when you're tangled and it's not taut, you can fall or rise without noticing. So basically I had to carefully unweave myself without snapping any harness or locks while I fell into this bottomless abyss. It was actually pretty terrifying. Tactical breathing at its finest. I obviously made it out okay.
View Quote

But did you die?

Cool story bro (seriously it’s neat)
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:34:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I saw a banded sea krait one time when I was snorkeling in the Philippines. I think they are one of the most poisonous snakes in the world. It was near the bottom in about 15 ft of water and they are not aggressive. Still, I kept my eye on it as I put as much distance between myself and it as I could.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:40:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Another interesting one from Reddit:

I worked on the flight deck of a carrier for three years. Two deployments to Arabian Sea, also transited the Suez.

Felt the "call of the void" as Ive heard it called. Would be smoking on a weather deck watching the sea speedy by. Leaning against the railings, sometimes the thought of jumping over would materialize in my mind. For the briefest second its almost comforting, like a faint magnetism to just do it. Then its gone. It never even disturbed me, so much as baffled me.

Also, the ocean is alien. Its unbelievably vast, deep and barren, on the surface anyways. I would often ponder what was going on below us, and obviously fantasize about deep sea monsters, ghost ships, creepy paranormal stuff. The vast size always unnerved me. Its just something you have to experience, being hundreds of miles from land..its crazy.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:41:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I've recovered two divers and one swimmer, with the swimmer being just after sunset with the light going fast. That one was the worst as she was stuck in the reef at 30ft or so. Her BF saw her go after something and never come back up. Learned he was arrested for killing her about a month later. Apparently he confessed. Her recovery for some reason always creeped me out. No idea why.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Running out of air at 90 feet, even though the gauge still showed plenty.
View Quote

How was that ascent?

At that depth you might get two more little breaths as you ascend.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:44:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
In on one.. going to Florida next week
View Quote

Fuck deep water...word to a warning,  do NOT go near any freshwater, trust me. Gators are all over in bodies of water you wouldn't think they can be. Lived there a long time...did alot of bass fishing. Its all good if you can see them, once they go down get away from the edge.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:47:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:49:24 AM EDT
[#19]
My wife and I were doing a night shore dive outside the La Ceiba Hotel we were staying at in Cozumel.  Towards the end of the dive, we noticed that I was covered in green Phosphorescence the likes we had never seen before.  The amount I had on me was incredible.  We were in awe.  Then I realized my cylume stick had broken.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:54:46 AM EDT
[#20]
No stories, but I've always been fascinated by caves in Florida.  Supposedly extremely dangerous to dive in them as they can be incredibly complex to navigate.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:55:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Another interesting one I found for those who are following:

Used to do saturation diving. I did work on oil rigs. It's pretty spooky down there. No particularly "spooky scary seamonster" stories, but it's not a nice place.

For one, it's dark as a MOTHERFUCKER. Pitch black and your lamp barely goes more than a few yards effectively. The water is filled with particles so it's kind of like shining a light into smoke. It's seriously like being in a void and the only things in this void are you and the rig. I never disconnected from it longer than I had to. It just feels like you can fall forever.

As for spooky scary seamonsters, I never really saw any. Don't get me wrong, you see shit a lot. The mixture you're breathing combined with the pressure can and will fuck with your senses. More than a few times I saw something big and fast moving just beyond my light. Sound doesn't travel well in water but you can hear the rig popping and other shit, always really deep tones.

You see a bunch of really weird fucking fish though. No joke, divers usually see a lot of fish that aren't identified. The aquanauts have to do that but they can never get the funding to come down and see what we see, so we just live with the aliens. We named a few but you don't really see them often and rarely more than two or three times. Some fish are drawn to the lamp, but others stay the fuck away from it.

I think the most interesting is what the mixture and depth does to your brain. When you've been out in the water for a while and literally only you and the piece of metal you're clinging to are the only things that seem to exist, your brain tries to fill the void. At least, I hope it was my brain doing that.

The rig popping is really ominous because it's like a bass drum that's all around you and the only sound in almost absolute silence. You can see things moving in the dark and when you look at them, your lamp only goes ten yards or so and all it's hitting are the particles in the water. This happens a few times and you're certain you're not alone down there. You feel like you're being hunted. A lot of guys die because they try and rush and that's something you can't do underwater, no matter how much you want to. You kind of got to get it in your head that "well shit I hope it doesn't eat me" and keep working. It can be hard not to panic. They teach you tactical breathing both to conserve and to keep you from losing it.

You start focusing really god damn hard on that tactical breathing when you swear you saw something on the edge of your vision, felt the water move against your back, and heard the shift.

Another story came to mind: I was out doing my job one time in the absolute darkness of the void. I had been out a good thirty or forty-five minutes when I saw something swish over the top of my vision really fast. I looked around, couldn't see anything. Spooked me good and so I just focused on my tactical breathing and not losing my fingers. A minute passed and I saw something go a little behind the pylon and down. I was 100% sure it was a kraken or some shit. Another minute passes and then this two or so foot fish comes swimming up to me. Weird looking motherfucker. Pale and long and skinny with BIG eyes and a bigger mouth. It just kind of darted around me for a bit, just hanging out with me while I worked. When I was done, he took off. Cool fish bro.

I told the story to a buddy of mine and he suggested that the fish hung around me because of my light. A lot of things don't approach the light down there. He was probably using me for shelter from something bigger and meaner. How terrifying.

On the topic of death: The pay was good but the only place it could really get you was dead eventually. I know of many people who died and I personally knew two. One panicked while he was working, as I understand, and fucked himself up. Getting hurt down there is a death sentence. You can't get back up in time to get patched up. My other buddy died because they fucked up his mixture. You can't put too much oxygen in the tank because it doesn't react well at depth. He went down and had a seizure due to it. Big investigation after that one.

I think the closest I ever came to dying was when I went on an excursion, which is where you go to a different depth than the bell is at, and was about to come back up when I got tangled in my gear really bad. I lost track of it as I went back and forth around the pylons. Normally it's pretty easy to get out of, but it got caught under my helmet which is bad for a variety of reasons. Also, when you're tangled and it's not taut, you can fall or rise without noticing. So basically I had to carefully unweave myself without snapping any harness or locks while I fell into this bottomless abyss. It was actually pretty terrifying. Tactical breathing at its finest. I obviously made it out okay.
View Quote

I have read many, many stories in my 18 years here.  

This story is the nopiest nope-nope story I have ever read, even more than the Creepy Thread.  Nope, not gonna do that anytime soon!   FUUUUUUUUCK that stuff!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:56:36 AM EDT
[#22]
@Marie has gotta have some good stories.  I'm surprised she hasn't chimed in with "to hell with your oceans, this is why I dive the Great Lakes.  No sharks, too cold for gators!"
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#23]
A few years ago, drove out to Oceanside, was somewhere north of Oceanside and still south of Dana Pointe, found a small pull off to access the beach. I was getting my scuba gear out of a jeep (AZ Tags) but a surfer dude told me hey, you can’t shore dive from here, they’ll fine you and take your shit...I’m thinking bullshit, but hey it’s California so...I was in the water in just a shortywetsuit and snorkel for about ten minutes and I see what looks like a vw bus approach me and then veer away, thought it was time to get out...the few people on the beach didn’t act as they had seen anything.

It was a few weeks later I was reading an article where they mentioned a pod of several Orcas that frequent the area! Began to wonder if the long haired surfer dude was really Jesus.

Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:02:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Diving into an upside down yachts cabin to extract a body.  Seat cushions and other crap in the way then you bump into mr dead guy.  Always a special treat.
View Quote

Had one like that on a shrimp boat 20 miles out, rough as hell the guy was a big boy all tangled up in all kinds of shit.  While trying to get him you get tangled up in everything.
Worst one was squeezing up into a small cave someone had just died in to set up a gate to block it off, some rocks shifted and when we went back out I got wedged in for a few minutes. I couldn't back up, couldn't go forward, I could roll enough to get my arm under me and release my shoulder straps and buckle on my bc and work myself backwards back into the cave. I pulled as many rocks out as I could and handed them back to my partner and pushed sand out in front of me and went through with no problem. We didn't see anything slide down or any obvious rock fall while we were in there measuring. All we could figure is that the limestone was crumbling in from the sides as air bubbles were going through the opening. Went back again about a year later and the entrance to that little system is just about closed off completely with limestone.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:04:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm not a diver (I'd like to be) but when I was a kid, maybe 5-6 years old, we were snorkeling in the protected part of the Florida keys and I swam maybe 300' from the boat, and as I swam back I saw a huge barracuda between me and the boat. Spooky for a kid.

I was swimming about 200' from shore on Dauphin Island, I think it was the same year Katrina hit, the island was trashed and nobody was there, October 1 and the water was perfect - then as I head back towards shore a school of fish surfaces in front of me, and a shark breaks the surf, chasing down fish. Time to leave.

On my honeymoon the wife and I went fishing offshore of Costa Rica. The charter captain and I tried spearfishing (he swam around on bottom like the SEAL he was, while I floated uselessly near the surface, though I did get to shoot *at* one fish) and the wife and boat's mate tried bottom-fishing. As I made my way back to the boat they pulled up a huge Moray eel. Both the eel and I were out of our elements at the moment we saw each other.

I don't know that I was ever in danger during any of those events, but they all got my heart racing.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:13:43 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a few stories.

1) While learning to scuba dive in late 80's, we were in a local swimming hole. <5ft viz, creepy feeling the whole time.  They pulled a body out of it later that afternoon that had been there for several days.  Dunno what I would have done had I found it.

2) Swimming below the dam at Lake Travis.. Again, poor viz. You can hear the power generation equipment as a low sounds.

3) Great Blue Hole in Belize - shaft starts at 30ft and opens at 100ft but I went down towards the bottom of the staglagtites (maybe another 50+ft) and got narced.. Looking at jack fish that were smiling at me.. Realized there was a group of sharks swimming between me and the rest of the group 30+ feet above me. Cool, surreal.

4) Biggest sense I had truly fucked up.. In Caymans, planned quick dive direct to 200ft with a long ascent back up with a buddy who was going much deeper. So dumb, but I was young. I stopped at planned 200ft and turned around as he went over the edge to his planned depth. I narc'ed and suddenly had the biggest feeling of dread that he wouldn't come back. How was I going to explain it to everyone? Intense sound of the ocean in my head as I worked my way back to my planned stops. He caught back up to me at 100ft as planned and my head had cleared by that point.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:14:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Lots of weird and or unusual stuff. It happens.

One time we went out past the light ship (+/- 22 miles) to do some deep sea fishing on a wooden cabin cruiser and a really dense fog moved in. It was like sitting in a tube with about 100 yards of visibility then nothing but a solid wall of fog. No big deal really except after  about 30 minutes or so a navy ship passed through the bank. Then another, and another. Kind of humbling on the stretch of water that day.

A funny one was my uncle was out and another fog bank rolled in but much thicker. It was a very calm sea, just very foggy. He decided to head in but really couldn't get his bearings beyond a compass setting so he decided to wait it out as he got about where he was going. As he's sitting there he heard a splashing. He looks over and a guy on a horse rode by. I guess he was closer than he thought.

Another one that always bugged me. A really strange day. We decided to rent a canoe on New River in N.C.. Yes, Lejeune. We'd go and follow the small inlets and byways till they petered out and then try another. Anyway on this one day as we were going along the main part, I looked down into the water and saw a back fin. It was a lightish green in color, kind of floppyish, not stiff looking but the odd thing was it was as long as the canoe. Going on for a while and passing a bunch of reeds, something shot out and hit the canoe. All's I saw was a white flash, no sound except for the canoe being hit hard. What ever it was put a softball size dent in the canoe and spun it 90°. One last thing on that day was we ended up at the end of an inlet. I was in the front. There was only inches of water under the canoe and banks on both sides about 2 feet away. I had the paddle across my legs. We were about to head back and up underneath the canoe and onto the bank comes the biggest water moccasin I've ever seen. Had to be 5ft minimum, black and thick as hell. It curled up and sat there starring at me. As it was on the bank, we were about eye level and as I said about two feet away from each other. I didn't say a thing and slowly took the paddle and pushed it against the bank. The guy in the back saw it to thankfully and didn't move at all. The canoe started to slowly back out all the while that thing just sat and stared, following me as we headed out. After all that I was done and headed back.

I've tons of stories. The best ones were the ones that the old sailors used to tell us as kids. I always loved hearing them spin a few.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:15:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Probably just an old sea tale but I guess they also found hooked "beaks" imbedded in the steel. Supposedly these beaks are what is inside the suction cup of a squid or octopus. Normally they are tiny, these were several inches long.  Like I said, probably just a story made up to scare new Sailors........but still.

Someone here mentioned the Tacoma narrows bridge. When I was stationed at Ft. Lewis I met a couple of old fishermen who told me a story of a giant Octopus that lives in the debris field left behind by the collapse of " Galloping Gerty". Heard the same story from an experienced diver sometime later who claimed to have seen it. Both stories said the thing was something like 50 feet across from one tentacle tip to another.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ooo would love more info on that one.

I remember hearing about 5 submarines from four different countries all disappearing the same day or two and no one knows what happened or it was covered up.

Probably just an old sea tale but I guess they also found hooked "beaks" imbedded in the steel. Supposedly these beaks are what is inside the suction cup of a squid or octopus. Normally they are tiny, these were several inches long.  Like I said, probably just a story made up to scare new Sailors........but still.

Someone here mentioned the Tacoma narrows bridge. When I was stationed at Ft. Lewis I met a couple of old fishermen who told me a story of a giant Octopus that lives in the debris field left behind by the collapse of " Galloping Gerty". Heard the same story from an experienced diver sometime later who claimed to have seen it. Both stories said the thing was something like 50 feet across from one tentacle tip to another.

I watched a documentary on the humbolt squid, dud was diving with them....had to wear armor as apparently they can really fuck you up with their beak.....like take large chunks out
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#29]
I was on a midnight dive and got lazy with my navigation.
I surfaced over a mile away from the boat, i could barley make out the lights.

I used some air to get my BC dialed in for a long back stroke watching the midnight stars and dodging jelly fish.

Kind of eerie being alone miles off shore and over a mile from the boat in the middle of the night.

One of the best moments i have had.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:29:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Was snorkeling off the beach on Grand Cayman out to about 75 yards out, and would occasionally see barracuda zooming out at the edge of my periphery. Very clear water, and drops off quick.

Coming back in and this rather large lady, slathered in jewelry was standing in about chest deep water talking with some other people standing up on the beach.

Big ass barricuda was only a couple of feet from her submerged hand covered in jewelry, just studying it... 100% sure it could have taken it clean off if it wanted to. I splashed towards her/it and the 'cuda kinda looped away slowly - she looked at me dumbfounded when I told her what was going on.

Saw her later and she didn't have the jewelry on at the beach

Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:45:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:47:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am not sure what that sign intends to convey. OP can you spell it out for us?
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#33]
For as many years as I have been diving, cave diving has no interest for me at all. Respect for those that do and their level of training and knowledge, but all the things I love about reef and ocean diving, none of that is present in a cave!
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:51:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Nothing too incredibly scary, or "that was close" but I've been a support diver for body recovery from the caves here in N Florida a couple of times....
View Quote

User name fits.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:51:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I know NPR sucks but if you look up This American Life episode 515 and skip to act 3 there’s a good story about Bushmans Cave. Someone died exploring it and some other guys put their lives on the line to dive down and recover his body. For me the only thing scarier than caves is caves that are filled with water.
View Quote

This is the story of David Shaw’s last dive trying to recover a dead diver out Bushmans Cave.  He was using a rebreather at depth over 200 meters.  Interesting but tragic story.
scuba, cave diving ''The Big Black'' The last dive of David Shaw 21 43, XviD format
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:53:31 PM EDT
[#36]
I've been to gennie springs many times. Very creepy feeling diving into the caves. I only ever free dove them, I'd go down, take a look and come back. So many divers have died in those caves.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:57:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I am not sure what that sign intends to convey. OP can you spell it out for us?
View Quote
I believe it's outside the entrance to a popular underwater cave people like to Leeroy Jenkins to
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Diving into an upside down yachts cabin to extract a body.  Seat cushions and other crap in the way then you bump into mr dead guy.  Always a special treat.
View Quote

No thanks.  Police boat operator.  I let the braver guys do that as I like an air atmosphere when I see stuff that makes me gasp.  I have been blessed that all my work was with fresh losses, no soft bobbers.  Sometimes you can just see them laying on the bottom.   Only once did we find a gent hanging in a thermocline on top of the really cold layer.   Was erie watching him suspended while the divers got their gear on.  

Too many stories of lost bodies showing up weeks later floating in river boathouses.  The guy who trained me had more than a handful of those on the same river sector I worked, I took his spot when he retired.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:58:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Years ago when the boy was 8 years old we took him for his first snorkel.

Upon seeing his first nurse shark up close he ended up standing on his mother's back.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:59:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Running out of air at 90 feet, even though the gauge still showed plenty.
View Quote

Bad gage?  frozen regulator?   (not a diver)
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:59:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Lol right? I think every damned dam in America has this story. I think even Jeremy Wade would go out to these dams and try and fish out these huge catfish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The version I heard was from one of the das on the Columbia and it was several sturgeon big enough to swallow your leg that just hang out with their mouths open sucking in anything that went through the impellers and out the exhaust flow.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:01:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Reminds me of this sign under the Lesner Bridge @Lynnhaven Inlet in VaBch
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:03:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Just reading this thread freaks me out, always stay in the boat
View Quote

Me too. We're gonna need a bigger boat...
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Another one pulled from a diving forum group:

On one other occasion we were recovering a military aircraft. When we arrived, naval ships were on scene waiting for us to recover it for them. We were quickly briefed that they had lost communication with the pilot and wanted us to recover it so that they could investigate. I was sitting comms and logs (communicate with divers and monitor depth & bottom time) when the divers reached the project. They reported that the plane was intact. We were all surprised. The supervisor asked how extensive the damage was. And they explained it was completely intact. As in, there was no visible damage at all. It was just resting on bottom. Even stranger, the aircraft canopy was still in place. That means that the cockpit is still sealed, in other words the pilot did not eject. But there was no sign of the pilot. We recovered the plane and the military took custody of it. We never heard about it again
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:21:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Love reading about this stuff.  Used to dive in the Gulf of Mexico all the time in college.  Night dives, day dives, inland spring dives, whatever.  Never got spooked by anything, but now that I'm twice as old for some reason the idea of doing any of that again really freaks me out so the most I'll do is swim these days.  The one thing that was always a hard NO for me was the idea of cave diving.  Fuck that noise.  Claustrophobia and drowning independently suck, but mix the two?  hell no
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:22:30 PM EDT
[#46]
I dive in Destin a lot.  Had a pucker moment when a really big bull came very close and took some of our catch from spearing.  It was the largest shark I've been that close to.  

On another dive, I volunteered to drop in to check vis and on the way down ran into some sharks chasing a fish around, vis was terrible.  I turned around and went back up and advised that the vis wasn't good.  

Did some night dives here, those are really fun.  Nothing creepy about that.

Dove in Pompano when there were known GWs in the area, one was being tracked.  I dropped in and saw a huge shadow down below me so I powered straight at it while clearing, it moved off pretty quick and I never got a good view.  I was hoping I would see a GW in the open water.  No luck.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:24:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Picking up dead people off the bottom in pitch black conditions.  Nothing but black to see.  You have to feel for them.
View Quote
My dad used to do that for the local fire dept back in the 50s.

In the Delaware river.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:30:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Fuck deep water...word to a warning,  do NOT go near any freshwater, trust me. Gators are all over in bodies of water you wouldn't think they can be. Lived there a long time...did alot of bass fishing. Its all good if you can see them, once they go down get away from the edge.
View Quote

I agree fuck deep water, but for the most part gators give two shits if they are under water. I have dealt with them for 40 years or so in Florida and I have had a lot more bad encounters on land. I'm convinced they hate bubbles, maybe bubbles mess with their ears or something. We dive in shit hole waterways and canals all the time on searches and see them on the bottom, or cruising around on probably every dive.  They project body language just like every other  dangerous animal.  Now, its not uncommon to see them chewing on victims of drownings, but as soon as we go out and get on scene they leave. The only oh shit moment I had was once while walking in a weedy ass lake in my gear I put both feet on the back of a giant fucker, probably 9 or ten footer. Gator flipped out and took off, it was knee deep so it was a lot of water flying around and it threw me off.   I still dove the exact spot, once i found my fins that i threw trying to stand up wearing 70 pounds of shit on my back.  
If we show up and have a big bull in the water acting all  jacked up and vibrating the water acting like an asshole we have them removed before we go in. It has only happened a couple times in 20 or so years. We try not to do it, due to the fact that trappers have to kill them to move them now,and the gator is just living there probably not having any other human contact.

Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:31:57 PM EDT
[#49]
I was working on my open water certification and was diving to 100’ in Lake Travis (near Austin).  Visibility at that depth in the lake was about 1’...maybe.  I had my dive light and was following the wall of an underwater cliff down to depth and I started hearing (and feeling the subsonic vibration) what sounded like a thwump thwump thwump...It was coming from the intakes / hydro power generation gear at the damn.  Freaked me the fuck out, and I ascended as quickly as I could - decomp stops notwithstanding.  Turns out I was still hundreds of yards away from anywhere near the damn, but that was the last time I ever dove anywhere near it
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:35:00 PM EDT
[#50]
You guys need to go find the 4chan/reddit saturation diver/"black carpet" stories.

Saturation and cave diving stories are my nopest.
Page / 11
Top Top