BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:47:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:48:24 PM EDT
[#2]
One of the biggest heads in my high school became an underwater welder. Never even knew they existed...he worked for ten years and retired at 30. Hugely well paid, if you survive.

Told us he was working about 150 feet down on an oil rig in the Indian Ocean when something "pushed" him fairly lightly in the back. He described it like being nudged by a steam locomotive...incredible mass, mostly curious to see exactly what he was, or maybe what he might taste like.

Said he caught a lot of shit for his voice on the intercom telling them to get him the fuck up - right now!
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:50:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You guys need to go find the 4chan/reddit saturation diver/"black carpet" stories.

Saturation and cave diving stories are my nopest.
View Quote
Ooo link for those of us not on the Chan's?
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:52:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
@Marie has gotta have some good stories.  I'm surprised she hasn't chimed in with "to hell with your oceans, this is why I dive the Great Lakes.  No sharks, too cold for gators!"
View Quote

I’m just now seeing this thread.

Haha. Pretty much, though!

There was a Haunted Great Lakes virtual presentation about a month ago as part of the Gales of November event out of Duluth. One diver was penetrating a shipwreck and went into a crew cabin. He saw a body on the bunk LOOKING AT HIM. He got the hell out of there.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:58:49 PM EDT
[#5]
A buddy of mine was diving a wreck we now call Jaws. It was in spring and the water was still cold. The site was in about 80 feet of water. He descended on the first dive of the day. There was a thermocline, and the water on top was 20’ of vis or so. As he was descending to the bottom, he saw something waving in the distance to one side. He thought it was a piece of fabric caught on the rack. As he came through the thermocline, the water on the bottom was more like 30-40’ of visibility. If you have never descended through a thermocline, the water clarity changes almost instantly. As he passed through the thermocline, he immediately saw that what he thought was something hung on the wreck was in fact the tail fin of a man eater sized tiger shark. He said the tail fin was 5 ft tall.. The shark completely filled his field of view in his mask. As far left as he could see was the shark’s nose and as far right was the tail. He said he and the shark met eyes and saw one another at almost the same time. The tiger flipped his tail once and turned straight for him, as he power inflated his bc, going to the top like a balloon. The tiger followed him all the way up and circled him at 15 feet until he was picked up.

This is a guy that dives a lot, and has been since the sixties. It took him several months to go back in. He estimated that it was around 16’ and a couple thousand pounds, the kind that could quite literally bite a man in half.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:59:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to regularly do a two mile swim in Cape Cod, and out and back in the Provincetown bay (the very tip of the curly-Q of MA). It gets just over 100' deep, and visibility in the summer isn't so great. More than once I had large shadows below me. Once, it turned out to be a pod of porpoises. Another time, I suspect it was a whale, although usually they wouldn't be in that shallow of water. Another time, a dark creature cruised past me, parallel and moving very quickly. It was either a seal or a shark.

One time I got down to the beach to start a swim to find the carcass of a juvenile seal washed ashore, chomped in half.

Fortunately my scuba diving has always been enjoyable and uneventful.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:05:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm just now seeing this thread.

Haha. Pretty much, though!

There was a Haunted Great Lakes virtual presentation about a month ago as part of the Gales of November event out of Duluth. One diver was penetrating a shipwreck and went into a crew cabin. He saw a body on the bunk LOOKING AT HIM. He got the hell out of there.
View Quote
I've heard a lot of guys prefer diving deep sea over the Great Lakes due to how creepy they can be for some reason
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:06:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
East pass, Destin.  I was diving in zero visibility testing out my nav skills.
I was standing on the bottom when I felt pressure on my back.  
I turned my head and just saw the side of something passing by me.
Also, over 100” down on a night dive off Destin my light imploded.  
Back in the 80’s.  
My gauges didn’t have a light.  
I watched my buddy’s light stick ( on his tank) disappear around some debris....
Very lucky I didn’t die.  Came up at the end of the rope also. Could’ve been a long night!
View Quote

If you were only down 100 inches on your night dive a light going out wouldn’t be too bad. One small jump and you’re at the surface.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I used to regularly do a two mile swim in Cape Cod, and out and back in the Provincetown bay (the very tip of the curly-Q of MA). It gets just over 100' deep, and visibility in the summer isn't so great. More than once I had large shadows below me. Once, it turned out to be a pod of porpoises. Another time, I suspect it was a whale, although usually they wouldn't be in that shallow of water. Another time, a dark creature cruised past me, parallel and moving very quickly. It was either a seal or a shark.

One time I got down to the beach to start a swim to find the carcass of a juvenile seal washed ashore, chomped in half.

Fortunately my scuba diving has always been enjoyable and uneventful.
View Quote
That shit sounds absolutely terrifying dude.

Fuck those open water swims. Id rather go for a daily jog through griz country everyday
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:08:12 PM EDT
[#10]
In Hawaii on the swim back into the beach I had to swim over top parts of underwater lava, and these black and white poisonous sea snakes would dart upwards at me out of the holes in the lava.

Seriously one of the most terrifying things I've encountered.   Fuck that so much!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:09:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ooo link for those of us not on the Chan's?
View Quote

Chan story - /x/ - Deep sea threads & dive anon stories
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:09:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
East pass, Destin.  I was diving in zero visibility testing out my nav skills.
I was standing on the bottom when I felt pressure on my back.  
I turned my head and just saw the side of something passing by me.
Also, over 100” down on a night dive off Destin my light imploded.  
Back in the 80’s.  
My gauges didn’t have a light.  
I watched my buddy’s light stick ( on his tank) disappear around some debris....
Very lucky I didn’t die.  Came up at the end of the rope also. Could’ve been a long night!
View Quote

I was freediving/spearing off Destin in about 50'.  

Vis was near zero. So bad I never actually made it to the bottom but believe I was close based on the compression I felt.  

That was most definitely creepy as fuck.  

Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:10:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I know NPR sucks but if you look up This American Life episode 515 and skip to act 3 there’s a good story about Bushmans Cave. Someone died exploring it and some other guys put their lives on the line to dive down and recover his body. For me the only thing scarier than caves is caves that are filled with water.
View Quote

We have a few cave divers here. I'm one of the newbies! Just got my cavern/intro to cave cert Thanksgiving weekend. Never thought I'd do wet rocks in the dark, but instructor urged me to do it as the skills will transfer well to my wreck diving and this way I get to dive all winter. Dive site is a former lead/zinc mine in SW WI that closed in the 60s. Originally opened in the early 1900s. Piquette Mine. It's been explored back by divers about a half-mile and they were on rebreathers and scooters. Max depth is 110ft. I got to about 70ft in class. Saw a few artifacts, such as a shovel and a dynamite box. Others have seen an ore bucket and old bottle further back.

The mine pics were taken by a friend. I'm not in them. First post-class dives this weekend.

Diving Piquette Mine By Omer Labrecque

Diving the Kiss Sidekick Sidemount Rebreather at Piquette MIne 3/4/17. By Omer Labrecque
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:13:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Those pics in the OP are making my heart beat faster.  Deep water is a fear of mine.  
View Quote

As long as I can see the bottom, or I'm on a wreck, I'm fine. Wall diving at one of the regional quarries? No bueno. I get really discombobulated.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:16:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Jesus f**** christ OP! Can't be posting those images without a warning to thalassophobians.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:17:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
rather large lady, slathered in jewelry was standing in about chest deep water talking with some other people standing up on the beach.

Big ass barricuda was only a couple of feet from her submerged hand covered in jewelry, just studying it...

View Quote

Oof.

I'm gonna remember that story next time I see someone dressed like a fishing lure at the beach.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:17:27 PM EDT
[#17]
My buddy was fishing a lake off the highway of tears and noticed a “ball” of fish a little deeper down in the middle of the lake. His friend jumped down with his mask on and swam down. The fish swam away and he saw a native woman’s corpse chained to some cement.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:18:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've heard a lot of guys prefer diving deep sea over the Great Lakes due to how creepy they can be for some reason
View Quote

It's colder - bottom temps can be around 40 even in the depth of summer. Plus, it can be darker. However, in the past 20 years or so due to the zebra mussels, the water is much clearer so visibility is greatly improved.

There's nothing in there that can eat you and you don't have to rinse your gear after (salt has to be rinsed off).
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#19]
fuck the ocean.

I'll go out waist deep. THAT IS IT!
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:19:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

We have a few cave divers here. I'm one of the newbies! Just got my cavern/intro to cave cert Thanksgiving weekend. Never thought I'd do wet rocks in the dark, but instructor urged me to do it as the skills will transfer well to my wreck diving and this way I get to dive all winter. Dive site is a former lead/zinc mine in SW WI that closed in the 60s. Originally opened in the early 1900s. Piquette Mine. It's been explored back by divers about a half-mile and they were on rebreathers and scooters. Max depth is 110ft. I got to about 70ft in class. Saw a few artifacts, such as a shovel and a dynamite box. Others have seen an ore bucket and old bottle further back.

The mine pics were taken by a friend. I'm not in them. First post-class dives this weekend.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/279183/6AC9E14C-BFEE-4861-B085-18FE90A9802A-1725915.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/279183/56F6C4DE-2F49-4690-8A07-ABD75C027ACB-1725916.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/279183/69897EED-6E9D-4007-90D8-6D9D4B44BDA7-1725918.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0ygH6cnReI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kThr4ZeuqvY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtHrDIYs8H8
View Quote
Awesome
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Jesus f**** christ OP! Can't be posting those images without a warning to thalassophobians.
View Quote

That squid scared the fuck out of me. Catfish are my fear in freshwater. I've come across a 6' one, huge around the head at a quarry in southern IL (Mermet Springs). That's Charlie, the resident large catfish. Fuck that. I refuse to dive there again.

I realized last week how fucking weird I am. Scared to death of catfish, yet I'll cave dive.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:21:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
fuck the ocean.

View Quote
He waded into waist-deep water. Then came the shark attack, Florida officials say
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:22:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Picking up dead people off the bottom in pitch black conditions.  Nothing but black to see.  You have to feel for them.
View Quote

Jesus.  I don't understand how some of you guys do this.  It's like something out of a nightmare.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:23:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Not creepy but upped the level of awareness; small hammerheads inside the San Diego. Little buggers seemed more curious than aggressive. Still odd to see them appear in the light and pass by.

Should have been creepy but seemed like just another day on the boat. Everyone eating dinner from their coolers with two dead divers (in full dress sans doubles and ponies) at their feet. Just like a normal lunch! Cheese, crackers, veggies, sandwiches, as normal as any other trip.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:23:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Dove at the Pinnacles at Pyramid lake 20+ years ago. Since closed to the public, as it's a very spooky and religious spot for the Paiute's. Beautiful day, clear water in the little cove and I could see the bottom 20 feet down. I straighten up and let air out of my bc and went down with my partner. Instead of touching the bottom it got darker and darker, and when I looked at my gauge, I was at 80 feet and going down FAST. I inflated my bc and still couldn't go up so I started aggressively kicking. It felt like something had hold of my fins! I broke loose and made it up. When I surfaced, I was 200 yards around the other side of the jutting pinnacles! Two hundred yards in less than a minute! I, and my dive partner, who also had the exact same experience were absolutely freaked! Needless to say, we never went back. Read up on Pyramid Lake. A strange place.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:23:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
fuck the ocean.

View Quote

Come to the Great Lakes. Huge bodies of fresh water, but no weird marine life and nothing that can eat you!

Kinda cold, though.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:24:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Should have been creepy but seemed like just another day on the boat. Everyone eating dinner from their coolers with two dead divers (in full dress sans doubles and ponies) at their feet. Just like a normal lunch! Cheese, crackers, veggies, sandwiches, as normal as any other trip.
View Quote

Had they done body recovery and were having lunch on the way back?
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Harrison Okene: Moment divers find man alive in sunken ship off Nigerian coast

Nothing would top this.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:26:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Jesus.  I don't understand how some of you guys do this.  It's like something out of a nightmare.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Picking up dead people off the bottom in pitch black conditions.  Nothing but black to see.  You have to feel for them.

Friend of mine is a public safety diver in IA. There they are all volunteers, no teams for police or fire departments. Friend has been in rivers and other bodies of water before looking for something and come across very cranky, large catfish on the bottom. You're searching by feel and just come across them. Yuck.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:31:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Had they done body recovery and were having lunch on the way back?
View Quote

Dinner was actually a missed lunch at the end of a long day.

Our trip, sport dive, 145ft, two missing, four of us did search and recovery as CG would not dive the wreck with their local teams.

Bodies sent up on a line, swimmer out with a line to drag back while we completed our hang time.

Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:43:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It's colder - bottom temps can be around 40 even in the depth of summer. Plus, it can be darker. However, in the past 20 years or so due to the zebra mussels, the water is much clearer so visibility is greatly improved.

There's nothing in there that can eat you and you don't have to rinse your gear after (salt has to be rinsed off).
View Quote

that's nuts!  I won't even get into my pool unless it's 89F or higher!
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:45:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My buddy was fishing a lake off the highway of tears and noticed a “ball” of fish a little deeper down in the middle of the lake. His friend jumped down with his mask on and swam down. The fish swam away and he saw a native woman’s corpse chained to some cement.
View Quote

Ain't nobody gonna top this shit....might as well end the thread.

That's straight out of a Hollywood horror film.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:48:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what the drysuit, warm undies, and heated vests are for.

Water temp in the mine I know dive is 50F year round. I hate heat and you hate cold.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:50:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Water temp in the mine I know dive is 50F year round. I hate heat and you hate cold.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know all about warm undies and heated vests, it's winter in Florida!
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:51:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My brother was boogie boarding off the coast of Oregon and bumped into something. A few seconds later a fun popped up.

There’s a story of a man that worked for the Point Defiance Zoo and was out one morning in Ouget Sound near the Tacoma Narrows bridge. Supposedly a great surfaced and skimmed the side of his boat. No idea if true or not. I’ve never heard of a great white in puget sound.
View Quote

I’ve seen Great Whites and Grays in northern Puget Sound near Sequim. I haven’t seen them personally near the Tacoma Narrows but think I remember a beached whale in that AO at some point. I may be wrong on the latter.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:52:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm diving this weekend at the mine. Snow, wind, we use a snowblower or shovel as necessary to clear the parking area and the path to the water.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:56:44 PM EDT
[#37]
I don't post much , I was diving on the Duane in Key Largo with a English guy. The current was ripping so we got down as quick as we could. We entered the room on the port side to get out of the current and a monster eel was in there with a Goliath grouper. It turned in to a shit show quickly .

He went out the window and got blown off the ship. I went directly after him , we got picked up about a mile away after stops
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:56:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'm diving this weekend at the mine. Snow, wind, we use a snowblower or shovel as necessary to clear the parking area and the path to the water.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:00:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm one of those people.  The Great Lakes are creepy.  Like a cold barren desert.  Tropical oceans seem inviting by comparison.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:01:28 PM EDT
[#40]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://media.giphy.com/media/Ax1JUM9QI942Y/giphy.gif

A friend said it was -11F air temp with -40F windchill when he did his full cave class a couple of years ago. We think the only thing that would stop the instructor is a blizzard with everything else shut down. She just keeps going!
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
having a gigantic grouper sneak up on me on a deep dive off the coast of NJ gave me a spook one time.  otherwise, that feeling when you look down into the depths at a shelf - cool as shit but always eerie.
View Quote

Grouper are sneaky bastards for their size.
One flat day we were snorkeling in the mouth of a lagoon, just kinda screwing around and I ran headlong into a person sized grouper. We both stopped and looked at each other for a second, almost having a staring contest, before he slowly swam past me.

I posted this in the Hawaii shark attack thread, it kinda belongs here too.

Every surfer and ocean swimmer knows this term for ocean conditions.

"Sharky"

Being out in those conditions (sunset, grey day, out alone) and that feeling that you are definitely NOT at the top of the food chain is, umm, interesting.

Buddy of mine and I were out in November, catching last waves right after sunset. Cold, cloudy, big with a little chop. Everybody else had called it, we were the only two people out as far as the eye could see.
Already started getting a hinky vibe and was basically gonna call it my last ride.
I paddled out after a wave to make fun of my buddy (because the fucker tried to snake me and ate shit).
He had smacked his nose on his board and had blood streaming down his face into the water.
Was joking around with him about it when I felt something bump my leg, followed by a large grey boil near the water's surface.

I damn near stood up and ran like Jesus across the surface of the ocean. Never gotten out of the water so fast in my life.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:02:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm one of those people.  The Great Lakes are creepy.  Like a cold barren desert.  Tropical oceans seem inviting by comparison.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For wreck heads, the wooden wrecks aren't found much elsewhere.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:05:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Dove at the Pinnacles at Pyramid lake 20+ years ago. Since closed to the public, as it's a very spooky and religious spot for the Paiute's. Beautiful day, clear water in the little cove and I could see the bottom 20 feet down. I straighten up and let air out of my bc and went down with my partner. Instead of touching the bottom it got darker and darker, and when I looked at my gauge, I was at 80 feet and going down FAST. I inflated my bc and still couldn't go up so I started aggressively kicking. It felt like something had hold of my fins! I broke loose and made it up. When I surfaced, I was 200 yards around the other side of the jutting pinnacles! Two hundred yards in less than a minute! I, and my dive partner, who also had the exact same experience were absolutely freaked! Needless to say, we never went back. Read up on Pyramid Lake. A strange place.
View Quote
So you were 20ft from the bottom the suddenly it was bottomless?

ETA: Holy shit what a cool place

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.onlyinyourstate.com/nevada/sinister-story-popular-nevada-lake-chills/amp/
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:07:01 PM EDT
[#44]
I dove a local quarry that was behind some old businesses.
The bottom was really rolling like hills and valleys from 18'~35' and visibility was about 12".

We were following the hills and valleys and rolled right up to a HUGE electrical box / panel that looked like it was set in place on the bottom.
LOTS of wires sticking out of the side and the kicker was it looked fairly new.

You never know what you are going to find.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:10:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Not a diver myself, but came within inches of killing a couple. I was idling into the boat ramp when two heads popped up in my wake maybe two boat lengths back.  They had entered the water off of the ramp without a flag or float.

Twin 200 hp Yamahas passed over them in about 6' of water. Clearance to the bottom of the skeg is about 28".  Some guy teaching his GF how to dive for the first time. I told her to find a smarter boyfriend that won't kill her.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:11:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:12:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truth.  Probably the best preserved wrecks anywhere besides the Black Sea.

I dove a couple Lake Michigan wrecks but never really go into it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look up the Sandusky wreck on YouTube. It’s in the Straits of Mackinac. Built in 1848, sank around 1856. I dived her this summer. Absolutely awesome.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top