Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
The Official Bourbon Thread (Page 28 of 117)
Page / 117
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 9:31:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing goes with bourbon like my Mom’s homemade bourbon balls.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I just cracked open a bottle of 4 roses small batch select. Not bad at all, but not sure its worth the premium over regular small batch.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 10:01:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I entered a “lottery” today for 4 or 5 different batches/vintages of Pappy, a bottle of Blanton’s, and 3 different bottles of Weller’s.

We shall see if I win, and what I win the “privilege” of buying.  

Evidently this is necessary because of savages starting fights over booze.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 10:04:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Old forester used to be the sleeper bourbon. It was really good  and at 16.00 per fifth it was a deal.  Now it’s 26.00. Not expensive.  But not as cheap as it was.
Now we get a lot of boutique bourbons that charge a lot with fancy bottles but are very average . Very average.
I enjoy trying new bottles but so far many of the established names get my vote
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 10:07:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I like all the old Forrester dated bottles. Not sure I've tried the plain one.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 10:12:14 PM EDT
[#6]
What I am drinking tonight.   Only 60 proof, but it's smooth.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 10:20:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Long day today.

" />
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 10:23:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: triburst1] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Triggerstuck:
Long day today.

https://i.postimg.cc/g0m12WVG/IMG-4556.png" target="_blank">https://i.postimg.cc/g0m12WVG/IMG-4556.png
View Quote

Slumming it.

I only mix my Coke with Pappy 23.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 8:22:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By dogsbody:
Old forester used to be the sleeper bourbon. It was really good  and at 16.00 per fifth it was a deal.  Now it’s 26.00. Not expensive.  But not as cheap as it was.
Now we get a lot of boutique bourbons that charge a lot with fancy bottles but are very average . Very average.
View Quote

I agree 100%.  The market is overloaded with boutique brands.  I do a lot of reading before I try one as they tend to be pricey.

I will say that the Three Chords 12yr old is good.  Lots of butter/butterscotch/caramel.  I've got a barrel select of it that was aged 15yrs and it's got a hint more oak, but also very good.  Its sourced from George Dickel.

Sweeten's Cove, a joint venture between Peyton Manning, Andy Roddick, and Jim Nantz is underwhelming.  It's sweet and "oaky" and that's about it.  I got a bottle for dealer cost and it's just not worth the price, especially at retail.

I'm undecided on Sagamore Spirits bourbon.  I had a glass and haven't had another.  Not bad, not great...I need to try it again.

The biggest turd in the punchbowl i own is Rare Perfection 15yr.  Expensive and very polarizing...you either hate it or just kinda like it.  I get nothing but wood, grass, and disappointment from it.

Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:12:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By rob78:

I agree 100%.  The market is overloaded with boutique brands.  I do a lot of reading before I try one as they tend to be pricey.

I will say that the Three Chords 12yr old is good.  Lots of butter/butterscotch/caramel.  I've got a barrel select of it that was aged 15yrs and it's got a hint more oak, but also very good.  Its sourced from George Dickel.

Sweeten's Cove, a joint venture between Peyton Manning, Andy Roddick, and Jim Nantz is underwhelming.  It's sweet and "oaky" and that's about it.  I got a bottle for dealer cost and it's just not worth the price, especially at retail.

I'm undecided on Sagamore Spirits bourbon.  I had a glass and haven't had another.  Not bad, not great...I need to try it again.

The biggest turd in the punchbowl i own is Rare Perfection 15yr.  Expensive and very polarizing...you either hate it or just kinda like it.  I get nothing but wood, grass, and disappointment from it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

A huge percentage of those boutique brands are sourced from big distilleries like MGP, Dickell, etc. and put in a fancy bottle with a clever name and sold for several times the price.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:45:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By triburst1:

A huge percentage of those boutique brands are sourced from big distilleries like MGP, Dickell, etc. and put in a fancy bottle with a clever name and sold for several times the price.
View All Quotes

Well aware.

But they're selecting casks based on a flavor profile and sourced or not, can be very good.  Not to mention the blending they do.  I know Three Chords sources their product from Dickel, but I've not had a bottle of Dickel that tastes like their 12yr old product.

Some of these tiny labels are pushing a garbage product no doubt, but we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 10:08:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hater] [#12]
oops
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 10:10:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Slumming it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/34777/5A16521B-7E75-4DBC-B0ED-26EFBCBDFB4B_jpe-1752876.JPG
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/29/2020 11:26:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Well aware.

But they're selecting casks based on a flavor profile and sourced or not, can be very good.  Not to mention the blending they do.  I know Three Chords sources their product from Dickel, but I've not had a bottle of Dickel that tastes like their 12yr old product.

Some of these tiny labels are pushing a garbage product no doubt, but we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
View All Quotes

Well aware.

Agreed. Some are great, some are shit. Like all things in life.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 3:18:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Triggerstuck] [#15]
Not a bourbon, but kinda close except for the corn.  I've read quite a few times lately that the Barrel Proof JD Rye was supposed to be good.  I like Rye, so I picked up a few today to try.  The JD Barrel Proof Bourbon I tried was good, so I figured  I'd give these a try.  Love the proof. I drink all my whiskey neat.

" />

Link Posted: 12/29/2020 4:23:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Not a bourbon, but kinda close except for the corn.  I've read quite a few times lately that the Barrel Proof JD Rye was supposed to be good.  I like Rye, so I picked up a few today to try.  The JD Barrel Proof Bourbon I tried was good, so I figured  I'd give these a try.  Love the proof. I drink all my whiskey neat.

https://i.postimg.cc/76gz50sf/IMG-2021.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.postimg.cc/76gz50sf/IMG-2021.jpg

View Quote

Definitely post your thoughts. I have tried several different rye whiskeys. So far Sazerac is my favorite, followed by High West Double Rye, Knob Creek Rye, and then Woodford Rye.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 4:28:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Triggerstuck] [#17]
Originally Posted By OIF_Vet08-09:

Definitely post your thoughts. I have tried several different rye whiskeys. So far Sazerac is my favorite, followed by High West Double Rye, Knob Creek Rye, and then Woodford Rye.
View Quote

I had the Knob Barrel Proof and I liked it.  The Wilderness Trail, Bulleit and Michters ryes were kinda meh.  I like the Sazerac, especially in a Sazerac.  Not bad neat either.

ETA-This JD Rye is really good.  Off the chart with fresh cut wood, caramel and raisins.  $60.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 10:27:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Attachment Attached File

ER tonight
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 10:36:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Woodford and Jefferson’s tonight.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 3:53:15 AM EDT
[#20]

I had the Knob Barrel Proof and I liked it.  The Wilderness Trail, Bulleit and Michters ryes were kinda meh.  I like the Sazerac, especially in a Sazerac.  Not bad neat either.

ETA-This JD Rye is really good.  Off the chart with fresh cut wood, caramel and raisins.  $60.
View All Quotes

Sounds delicious. If I find it up here I’ll definitely grab some.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 4:12:12 AM EDT
[#21]

Slumming it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/34777/5A16521B-7E75-4DBC-B0ED-26EFBCBDFB4B_jpe-1752876.JPG
View Quote
I so want a bottle of this, just so I can do a fresh cork pop and record it making a mixer to post on bourbon pages...sit back and watch everyone blow their shit
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 4:13:44 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote
My opinion...the 14 year is better than the 15 year
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:08:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Libertas:
My opinion...the 14 year is better than the 15 year
View Quote

I've heard that same thing.  Just not willing to pony up the asking price and potentially get burned again.

You chose wisely, I did not.  Shoulda gotten the 14yr.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:19:10 AM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

https://i.postimg.cc/76gz50sf/IMG-2021.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.postimg.cc/76gz50sf/IMG-2021.jpg

One of my favorite rye whiskeys, and the only JD product I really like is their Tennessee Tasters Selection Barrel Proof Rye.  The first thing that hits you is bananas foster with rye spice on the back end. I keep 2 bottles of it at all times.  Makes a he'll of an old fashioned.

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 7:47:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:28:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By justsayin:
Trying the MM CASK Strength again.....

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/135145/20201230_162644-1755488.jpg
View Quote

I got a bottle of that for Christmas. Looking forward to trying it.

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:47:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By TGrant:

https://i.imgur.com/Rx1QO58l.jpg
View Quote

Need to try this.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:38:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Cannot wait to kiss 2020 goodbye.
Cheers my friends

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:40:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Picked up a whistle pig single barrel rye tonight.  (For a gift so i won’t be able to try it out)

I’m personally having knob creek 9yr 120 proof.  Great stuff
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:30:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 3:09:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Libertas] [#32]

I've heard that same thing.  Just not willing to pony up the asking price and potentially get burned again.

View Quote
We visited the Distillery in November, and were able to try both, along with some very old St. Nick.  Both my wife and I agreed the 14 yr was way better than the 15 year.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:02:10 AM EDT
[#33]
We visited the Distillery in November, and were able to try both, along with some very old St. Nick.  Both my wife and I agreed the 14 yr was way better than the 15 year.
View All Quotes

I've got two bottles of VOSN 12yr.  Its good IMO and is best sipped neat.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 7:01:49 PM EDT
[#34]
What are decent prices for Weller?

I ask because I found a store that has all three. Never have seen them before in person. Prices were ridiculous.

Special Reserve: $159
Antique 107: $199
Weller 12: $299

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/31/2020 7:04:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By NoEffects6:

I ask because I found a store that has all three. Never have seen them before in person. Prices were ridiculous.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/EgcB5I3-51.gif

View Quote

Those prices are basically double what they should be, recently saw the 107 for like $80
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 7:08:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Picked up Old Forester 1910 and Eagle Rare. Excited to try both.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 7:09:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Glockgirl26:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/79290/20201229_202951-1754313.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Glockgirl26:
Originally Posted By justsayin:
Trying the MM CASK Strength again.....

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/135145/20201230_162644-1755488.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/79290/20201229_202951-1754313.jpg

That’s a damn good bourbon
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 7:11:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By evo7011:

Those prices are basically double what they should be, recently saw the 107 for like $80
View Quote

I figured. They had a row of all three plus a row of Blanton’s. I knew it was too good to be true. No wonder they are in stock because they never sell the shit.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 7:18:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Sazerac: When marketing overtakes the bourbon.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#40]

I figured. They had a row of all three plus a row of Blanton’s. I knew it was too good to be true. No wonder they are in stock because they never sell the shit.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By evo7011:

A 750mL Weller SR should be around $25.

It’s just ok, it’s not a great bourbon.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

I’ve only ever been able to buy the Weller 12 in Ohio and it took me winning the chance in a lottery.  Paid $50 for it and traded for about $200 worth of easier to find bourbons.  I’ve been gifted the 107 and the special reserve.  Haven’t opened my 107 but the special reserve is one of my favorites.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:03:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:06:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Does this count?

Honestly, this is the best expression of Bourbon County I’ve ever had. (And I’ve tried them all)

Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:07:48 PM EDT
[#44]

One of my favorite rye whiskeys, and the only JD product I really like is their Tennessee Tasters Selection Barrel Proof Rye.  The first thing that hits you is bananas foster with rye spice on the back end. I keep 2 bottles of it at all times.  Makes a he'll of an old fashioned.

https://cdn.webshopapp.com/shops/268070/files/316356875/image.jpg
View Quote

@rob78 fun fact. The Tennessee Taster bottles are the same as the barrel proof rye you quoted. The Tennessee Tasters are the samples pulled during the selection process for the single barrel barrel proof rye. Historically the samples were tossed after the hold period or given away to employees then someone got the idea to bottle and sell them.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:17:34 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

SR is $25 and the W12 is $30 here when I've seen it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:56:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TN-MadDog] [#46]

View Quote

I have seen it priced like that locally and about got thrown out of the liquor store for taking photos of it. Probably didn’t help that I was laughing while taking the photos.

None of the 12 or 107 will be seen on the shelf around here. I will see the special reserve sitting out every now and the but prices are pretty high.

I did get lucky and found two bottles of the special reserve recently in a nearby town for $33.99 each.

At bourbon drops and raffles around here this year I have seen special reserve for around $40, 12 year old for around $60 and 107 for $80-$100.

Photos I took recently

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:01:03 PM EDT
[#47]

SR is $25 and the W12 is $30 here when I've seen it.
View Quote

Balls....not fair
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By TN-MadDog:

I have seen it priced like that locally and about got thrown out of the liquor store for taking photos of it. Probably didn’t help that I was laughing while taking the photos.

None of the 12 or 107 will be seen on the shelf around here. I will see the special reserve sitting out every now and the but prices are pretty high.

I did get lucky and found two bottles of the special reserve recently in a nearby town for $33.99 each.

At bourbon drops and raffles around here this year I have seen special reserve for around $40, 12 year old for around $60 and 107 for $80-$100.

Photos I took recently

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/35314/956ED67C-A7EB-4D24-A6B0-7625789F632D_jpe-1757535.JPG
View Quote

Damn
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:28:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Popped the top on this tonight, been saving it for a special occasion. I guess leaving 2020 behind is a good enough excuse..

Happy New Year!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote
About the same as a local place here wanted today, plus they had a bottle of Weller Cask Strength for $699. I got excited when I walked in and the first thing I saw in a case was a bottle of Blanton's Gold.....I probably would have shelled out a couple hundred for that but then I saw that they had it priced at $999 lol
Page / 117
The Official Bourbon Thread (Page 28 of 117)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top