Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/7/2001 5:16:59 AM EDT
I've been freakin' overrun with carpenter bees - the kind that drill these perfectly round holes in your house.

they also seem to have made a colony in a dirt bank near my house.

One person told me diesel gas is the way to go - soak 'em down and let 'em die. At least for the dirt bank.

Any thoughts here?? Need help bad...being overrun...FALL BACK!!!!!!...FALL BACK!!!!!......
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 5:20:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 5:21:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Garand Shooter:
A 50-50 mixture of diesel and gas, throw in a little motor oil to thicken it, dump in after dark when they are all inside, and ignite fromn a safe distance with a tracer.
View Quote

Hey - you have a milsurp store -

Got any napalm????

[:D]

Link Posted: 5/7/2001 5:44:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Petrolium disstolate,or gas diesel fuel.Kills them deader than Julius Ceaser.You dont have to light it .But if safe maybe after a half hour to burn it off.Im in constrution and the sob's never show up until youe on a ladder or scaffolding.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 5:50:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Some good old soapy water.  It will kill every insect/bee out there.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 5:54:56 AM EDT
[#5]
8 inch naval gunfire or cluster bombs.

Maybe you can get your hands on one of those backpack nukes that Osama bin Laden got from the Russians.

Have you considered learning ninjutsu from my 16-video set, then attaching flyswatters to each end of a pair of nunchaku?

Link Posted: 5/7/2001 6:37:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 6:37:30 AM EDT
[#7]
[img]http://www.tupics.com/members/flight553/flame-sm.jpg[/img]  Own your own Wehrmacht Flamethrower, only $12899.99 from [url]www.gunsforkids.com[/url]

There you go.
Kharn
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 6:44:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I recommend using an old tennis racket as a giant flyswatter. Stake out the holes and let 'em come to you. Loads of fun. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 6:44:13 AM EDT
[#9]
garandman,

Check out this link,

[URL]entowww.tamu.edu/extension/bulletins/l1826.html[/URL]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:05:06 AM EDT
[#10]
You're some sick bastards!!  Don't you know bees are people too???  Are they feral bees??

Oh wait,   wrong thread...

Anyway, I'm with Admiral Crunch - we use badmitten rackets and just have a great time.
The highest score goes to the longest trajectory after swatting. Sometimes they just split into halves when hit.  For real fun, get two people and hit them at each other!!  
Once you get good at it, stop by my house - I need some Hornets removed....

[:-)]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:17:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Oh Jeez!!

Call a professional before you burn your house down!

Home remedies for insect control never work, they just make the problem worse.

You have two types of bees. The ones in the wood are Carpenter Bees, the ones in the ground are Bumble Bees. They have different MO's.

Bumble Bees have a nasty sting and will use it if you mess with them, carpenter bees are too dumb to sting, they just bite with their powerfull jaws.

I have had more problems with bee and wasp nests that people have attacked with gas and diesel fuel and got themselves stung as a result.. I charge them twice what I would normally charge to remove a nest. Stupidity doesn't pay!

Geoff Ross
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:25:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:30:16 AM EDT
[#13]
garandman,

I take a pie pan or two insert a med size chunk of fish (up here they love salmon) fill the pan up with water so it covers half of the fish which is in the center of the pan. Add a couple drops of dish soap to decrease the surface tension of the water.

The bees come and eat till they can't fly and they roll off into the water and drown.

I have used these traps to rid my property of millions of bees every summer and I never have to mess with the nests.

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 9:10:42 AM EDT
[#14]
200lbs of tnt, plant it in the mound, wire it and light it off!

No seriously, I would call in a professional, dumping the fuel on the dirt bank might not seep in far enough, usually the profs use a gas, spray and bait.  Works much better.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 9:40:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Forget the fuel mixture-or we will read about you in the next "darwinism awards"
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 9:45:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Are bees covered under PETA, well anyways whatever they suggest[:D]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 9:47:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Use a shop vac.

Link Posted: 5/7/2001 9:51:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#19]
BAIT! Did someone say BAIT?

Well, I hope to hell these are feral bees, and not some child's pet.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
BAIT! Did someone say BAIT?

Well, I hope to hell these are feral bees, and not some child's pet.
View Quote

One way or the other, these are gonna be DEAD bees!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 10:07:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Those of you that pour gas/fuel on them.  I hope nobody has a well near you.  It will take 100 years for the gasoline taste to get out of the water.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 10:07:47 AM EDT
[#22]
OK, HERE'S THE PLAN SO FAR -

this Op will take place at nite.

I'm gonna dress up in my mall ninja outfit [:D] and sneak up on the bees.

Next,

I'm gonna take some pieces of cloth, and cover the whole dirt bank. This way, they can't get away. Or sting me.

Then

I will soak the cloth in diesel fuel, and let it set for a day or so.

Then, (during the day) I will light 'em up, take a dump on them, and spit on them, etc - uh, maybe not necessarily in that order.

Sound like a plan??? I hate bees.

Link Posted: 5/7/2001 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#24]
22 rat shot gets the low flyers up to about 12-15 feet...after you shoot a while with rat shot they will hover at roof level (i have a two story) so then you break out the 410 w/#9 shot...works like a champ.....i've been particlularly vigilant now that i have new cedar trim on my house--the old trim was full of tunnels and bees--that was OK until the giant woodpeckers heard them buzzing in there--shortly thereafter my trim looked like you had been beating on it with the claw end of a claw hammer.....now i just keep a good watch on the little bastards and when i find a hole i squirt in caulking and plug with 3/8 plug....As for me "Killem all and let mother nature sortem out"...Dick
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 10:36:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 10:36:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Imbroglio,

The shop vac is not the right tool for [b]all[/b] of life's little problems.  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 10:37:04 AM EDT
[#27]
we had som ebees in the grounsd by the driveway-we poured gas on it and lit it-kinda funny watching the bees try to fly into the hole but get torched.  I would NOT recommend this procedure.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#28]
NO NO NO! ALL WRONG.

Garandman, all you will need is a broomstick, a copy of the New Testament and Divine Faith. You WILL be fine. He will protect you from the heathen bees.[:D]

Ok I'm sorry, I just had to give you a shot for giving the girl a hard time.

Do you have any flashbangs? Won't get rid of them but will be seriously funny. Of course the camcorder goes without saying right?
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 11:20:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
NO NO NO! ALL WRONG.

Garandman, all you will need is a broomstick, a copy of the New Testament and Divine Faith. You WILL be fine. He will protect you from the heathen bees.[:D]

Ok I'm sorry, I just had to give you a shot for giving the girl a hard time.

?
View Quote

'
Steyr -

Jesus could do miracles. I gotta take care of business the old fashioned way - hard work. [:D]

Yeah, sorry about yer girl. We see the world a bit differently.

You know me - NOT one to pull my punches.

BTW, the bees aren't heathens, they are a pestilence. YOU GUYS are "heathens" and I don't plan on being quite so rough on y'all as I will be on them bees.  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 11:28:05 AM EDT
[#31]
But you are still gonna use flash bangs or M-80s right?
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 12:09:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
But you are still gonna use flash bangs or M-80s right?
View Quote

Unfortunately, I'm all out of flash bangs.

See my post above describing the Op.

Link Posted: 5/7/2001 12:24:42 PM EDT
[#33]
I had the same problem with a huge hornets nest near my house. The kind that live in the ground, or at least make some sort of hive on ground level. Their hive was HUGE. About 4 feet across and at least 2 feet deep. Apparently they had a hard time getting along with my dogs.

I got a half dozen of those holiday foggers. With a LONG stick, I poked 6 starter holes in the mound. Poke a hole, run like hell, poke another, run like hell. You get the idea. After I had 6 holes, and the hornets were a little less pissed off, I stuffed a holiday fogger in each hole and, again, ran like hell.

They will each spray for about 10 minutes, filling every internal space with pure hornet/bee/wasp killing gas.

Next morning, it was all over. There wasn't a single survivor.

I'm not saying this is the best way, but it worked like a charm for me.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 2:36:19 PM EDT
[#34]
I had the same problem, but they did'nt drill my house. poured gas and flamed them. you have to cook them really good or they will start to smell.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 2:54:20 PM EDT
[#35]
In response to Paul's reply, I actually shot one of these things yesterday with a 12 ga.
Stopped at a friends house and a bunch of the guys were hanging around his barn with a shotgun shooting the carpenter bees, let me have a shot and I scored on my first (and only) try. I was actually impressed how well this worked. Their hit ratio was quite high. Have problems with these critters myself at the house and I am going to smoke them with the 12.
Needless to say this method is not the best for in town, or probably heavy infestation.
Tuco
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#36]
How ever you do it is fine with me. Just make sure you kill every last one of them. I hate those little bastards too.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:44:43 PM EDT
[#37]
I'd think seriously of the exterminator as advised by others here.  And make sure they give you proof of their insurance.

What do these bees look like?

[red][size=4]P.R.K.

Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:56:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Matt VDW:
Imbroglio,

The shop vac is not the right tool for [b]all[/b] of life's little problems.  [:D]
View Quote

Just the one he's most conscious of......
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:56:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Garandman:

Your info and plan thus far is right on the money but I did not see anyone mention the difference in the bees you have.

Yep.........sounds to me like you got two kinds of bees.

The carpenter bees you already know about but the bees in the ground..................???

Ground bees we call those here in TN.

They are nastier by far and , at least here, have a real pissy attitude about being messed with.

They are the same colors but if you get a chance look more closely and you will see that they are quite a bit larger.  

The sting compared to a carpenter bee is like comparing a mosquito bite to a honeybee IMO.

They hurt like heck and will sting you over and over for the pure crap of it all.

Diesel always worked for us.

Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:03:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Diesel fuel will kill'em deead ina heartbeat, and it is not all that flammable.  If you don't like the idea of Diesel fuel, use diazenon.  We get overrun with mud dabber wasps and hornets up here, and the petroleum products work best.  The fun part is blasting the hornet's nests witha 12 ga. loaded with no.9.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:23:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Ugh... here's another household tip, never leave cardboard boxes out in the open, even with cover over them... I live in a two story house and noticed increased bee activity, and one day, I was standing on the second floor porch and noticed 4 bees (what I thought they were at the time) flying a patrol patern around the covered boxes I had from my Dell Lease ('sposed to keep the boxes for the return). Well, I had some oil-based bug spray and sprayed a little in the air. Bad idea. Bad, bad idea. Many flying angry bugs, this fat man ran like Flo-Jo getting back into the house. I called an exterminator, he pointed out that these were not bees, but yellowjackets. Very pissed yellowjackets. He said he's never seen them build nests inside cardboard, but he figured it provided a perfect place for them. So, I said "Kill them." That is where we encountered a problem, he said the only way to easily kill them was with this hose thing attached to his truck, and it wouldn't reach up there, and if he had to do it manually, it would be mighty costly. I bought various foggers, I figured that they wouldn't like a big mix of the nasty chemicals. I strapped on my gas mask and triple layered in sweats and heavy coats, I had 10 foggers total, I got two poles, strapped 5 foggers on each one in a cirle, looked like a speed loaders for a giant revolver. I went on the porch, quickly activated them and went to town, I could barely see what I was doing, but I managed to pull the tarp off the boxes and totally overpowered them with the deadly smoke. I didn't notice any flying around, I don't think they knew what hit them, after about 5 minutes, the foggers wore off, and my floor was covered with what had to be thousands of dead and dying yellow jackets. I got out the Bee and Wasp Killer bug spray and coated the ground and tore the boxes apart, spraying any survivors. I kinda felt bad about it, but there were plenty of other places to nest, and when I found out that it will cost me about $300 to have someone come out from Dell with new boxes to pack up my system in the fall, I wished I could've killed them twice.

Better Living Through Chemicals.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:57:31 PM EDT
[#42]
I wonder if Garandmans house looks like the final scene from Caddyshack by now.

Carpenter bee cong!
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm laughing my damned ass off here.

Why haven't I heard any suggestions for bug zappers?   Let's get some Tim Allen types going here and we'll crank up the wattage on the bug zapper mesh.

Then you can do what my buddies and I did and remove the protective screen that limits the size of the bugs that can and cannot fly into the electric fence.

I highly doubt that the standard light bulbs that are in your typical bug zapper will work so you might have to find some other way to bait them into there, perhaps that fish thing that somebody else recommended.

I HIGHLY SUGGEST THAT YOU GRAB YOURSELF A SIX PACK OR A CASE OF YOUR FAVORITE BEVERAGE!

My buddies and I must have sat outside watching the bug zapper and drinking beers for 3-4 hours one night, it's grade "A" entertainment.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 10:01:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Shoot them with a .22 Hornet. I also like using some of that bug spray with the twenty foot range, and then make more effective by putting a torch in front of it! [sniper] [pyro]

Kyle

BTW, if you like having two hands don't do the wasp spray idea.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 10:23:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
Use a shop vac.

View Quote

It doesn’t work that well.

Our summer home has a bee’s nest IN one of the eves.
I call a pro, they killed a bunch but never finished them off.
Spayed all kinds of toxic crap into there, kills a bunch but never all of them.
Plugged the holes up, but they just chew’em a new one.

Was getting really pissed so I rigged up the shop vac so is sucked the bastards in.
Been sucking up gallons of the little yellow buggers for about 5 years now.

I’m not kidding, I mean a lot of them, doesn’t seem to slow them down, but it’s
good for laughs sitting out on the deck watching ‘em get sucked in the vac.

I’ve been told they are honey bees.  Every time I call an exterminator and tell
them I have bees, they always say no, you’ve got wasps or yellow jackets or
something.  Then they show up and are surprised to find bees. The bees are not
very big, maybe ½ an inch long and 3/8 in diameter.

For the life of me I can’t figure out how to get rid of them.
If anyone has any real ideas short of burning down the house, I’d like to hear it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 10:42:02 PM EDT
[#46]
LOL, I almost forgot to mention something.

Out here in Ca. we get lots of honey bees but we also get wasps and hornets.

While swimming at a buddies house we had are pellet guns near by so that we could shoot the wasps off the surface of the pool when they landed to get some water.   The funny thing was when I realized that the wasps were a perfect 22caliber diameter to fit into my Benjamin pump pellet gun's 22caliber bore.   I picked up the wasp by the wings and my friends thought I was nuts for holding it, as I walked over to my pellet gun they caught on REAL quick what I was about to do.   I fed that little yellow bastard into the chamber of the pellet gun, closed the bolt, and gave it just 2 pumps.    When I was locked and loaded I looked over to my friend and told him to go inside the house and watch the impact on the sliding glass window from the other side, taking careful aim about 1 foot off to the right of my friends shoulder and both of us standing about 5 feet back away from the glass I let loose with what must have been a 150fps wasp projectile.   That insect splattered all over the glass leaving about a 1 1/2 inch diameter muck mark.

AND YES!   I did check the pellet gun fully before putting the wasp into the pellet gun, it was an empty gun before the wasp was loaded into it.   I was fairly confident that a wasp wasn't going to shatter the glass from a couple feet away and that it would only splatter.   Still though, could you imagine what we'd try to say to my friend's parents if the window had broken?   "gee, sorry but we wanted to shoot a wasp at the window with our pellet gun, stupid sumabitch broke the glass!  No, not us, it was the wasp's fault"
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#47]
If you can get ether it works well.  Just make sure the family is out of the house.

My dad had the problem and one tretment took them all out.

Link Posted: 5/7/2001 11:07:15 PM EDT
[#48]
ether huh, I'll look into it.
How about Nitrous-Oxide?

Ugly, I’ll be laughing about the .22 hornet for days, bahahahaha
What is it about growing up that makes you lose the ability to come up with those
kind of things?  
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 9:21:38 AM EDT
[#49]
This is too funny! ROFLMAO with the .22 Hornet HA
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 4:04:10 PM EDT
[#50]
The absolutly best stuff in the world to use on bees, hornets, wasps, flies and other assorted insects is good old Brake or Carb Cleaner. All you have to do is just get close to them with that stuff, and it will knock them right out of the sky. It absolutly turns them into shriveled up carcases in secs.
I have knocked out nests with it and it really works.
Everything else is just asking for a stinging in my book.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top