BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:41:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
People that work on cars are the most angry assholes in the world.

Most customers are complete dumbasses so you get lumped in there with all of them.

Same thing with every profession... aka my baby dindu nuffin.
View Quote
Correction parts department people are the most angry a-holes in the world

The rest of it is true
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:42:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The service writer that answers the phone isn't a mechanic
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:42:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Dealing with the dick public makes them that way?
View Quote
That, and having to work on stuff designed by dick-engineers working to specs given by dick-EPA regulators who are given a free hand to do wtf they want to by dick-lawmakers put into office by the dick-voting-public.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:42:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Because a lot of customers are ignorant and stupid.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:43:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You dropped off a vehicle with a full tank of gas that poor mechanic now has to drop to replace the sending unit.

Don't be surprised if you need to fill up again when you pick your truck up.

Or could be the fuel gauge is at fault.

View Quote
My truck might have 14 or 15 gallons in it now. And filling it back up after the poor mechanics do their job without being shitty to the customer is fine with me.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:43:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
because now they gotta pull the tank to replace a sender with a full tank of fuel, which requires draining the tank first and that pretty much sucks no matter how good your gas caddy is.
View Quote
Fuck draining the gas, tie straps and a tranny table.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:43:42 PM EDT
[#7]
The dealership has technicians answering the phones?

Thats fucked up. They should have service writers doing that.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Need year make model 4cyl or V6, 2wd, 4wd etc...
View Quote
2013 Tacoma V6 4x4
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:46:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Lots of the reasons already given have validity but I will ad that you don't get paid shit for the amount of skill, knowledge and experience it takes to be a good mechanic.  The amount you have to spend on tools is ridiculous also.
View Quote
That too
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Anyone with any idea about how fuel systems work could have an idea of what's wrong. And fixing the problem isn't beneath me. It is however outside the scope of my abilities given that I live in a building with mandatory valet parking, lack of tools for the job, and I already said that I know my place and I'm not a mechanic. I'm definitely not treated like a mouth breather when I take the jet in for work.
View Quote
That's a thing?
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:48:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That too
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lots of the reasons already given have validity but I will ad that you don't get paid shit for the amount of skill, knowledge and experience it takes to be a good mechanic.  The amount you have to spend on tools is ridiculous also.
That too
What's ballpark pay for an auto mechanic at a dealership?
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:49:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That's a thing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone with any idea about how fuel systems work could have an idea of what's wrong. And fixing the problem isn't beneath me. It is however outside the scope of my abilities given that I live in a building with mandatory valet parking, lack of tools for the job, and I already said that I know my place and I'm not a mechanic. I'm definitely not treated like a mouth breather when I take the jet in for work.
That's a thing?
It is in my building.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

2013 Tacoma V6 4x4
View Quote
Sending unit bad, seen plenty of them come through, both tacos and tundras.

Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:49:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I had the same problem at a Ford dealer service department trying to get an engine knock diagnosed.

I’m mechanically inclined and know my way around the drivetrain of a vehicle, but I usually go in trying not to sound like a “know-it-all” as I’m sure they get that all the time.  They tried to diagnose the knock as everything under the sun, aside from the actual issue that I knew it to be.

I finally presented them with evidence, documentation, and the necessary steps to diagnose the issue as the lower end knock that I knew it to be and their “head engine tech” basically told me I was a retard and that it was a normal noise made by the catalytic converters (there were a lot more issues too, like them telling me they originally couldn’t recreate the noise, until I showed up to pick the truck up, let it warm up in the lot until it started knocking, then having to go and get the assistant service manager).

I ended up taking it to a different dealership 35mi away who correctly diagnosed the issue in 48hrs. and had a new shortblock in the truck inside of a week.

ETA:  I ended up emailing a copy of my receipt from the new dealer (showing the shortblock replacement) to the service department manager at the old dealership.  I know he probably didn’t give two shits, but it was at least a little cathartic.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2013 Tacoma V6 4x4

Any guess as to how long I should plan for the truck to be down?
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:52:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
After working with the general public for a good few years.....  People made me a dick.

In general I was polite to a fault, But some days I know I was a dick as much as I tried to avoid being one.
View Quote
Tis the Season and Sis works retail. A lady was going total ape shit over something and basically cursed everyone around. As she left in a huff, Sis hollered out "Have a blessed day!".
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
No more than 2hrs if the part is in stock and there isn't anyone else ahead of you.

We charge from 2-2.5hrs for sending units.

Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:57:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
No more than 2hrs if the part is in stock and there isn't anyone else ahead of you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, that's easy! Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:58:16 PM EDT
[#19]
1- customers insist they know what is wrong with their vehicles, but still need to bring to a mechanic for some reason

2- people seem to think fixing cars are easy and cheap

3- friends, aquaintances, family, neighbors, anyone who sees you 1 time think you owe them something and want their car fixed for free, or free diag over a forum or phone

if customers know so much better about cars, then why are you bothering calling a repair center?

and if you do bring in for repair...CLEAN THE GOSH DARN CAR OUT OF YOUR GARBAGE, STANK, DIRTY ASHTRAYS, OLD FOOD, DILDOS, AND THAT NASTY ASS SMELL
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:58:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Flat rate, everyone already knows whats wrong with their vehicle and how to fix it. This is the only business where the customer can come in complain tell us when and how were going to work on their vehicle even if they are dead wrong on the concern. Dealer principles have destroyed the business through flat rate and the warranty processes I work in a commercial/diesel shop and I cant tell you the amount of time my guys spend on warranty concerns and end up not getting paid for are ridiculous. Its a business like a doctors office should be but ran like a restaurant. In short years of mismanagement dumb ass dealer principles Have made this business shit the groups and manufactures have gained more money while employees took the hit. In turn anytime the phone rings I already hate who ever is calling off principle. Especially at the holidays.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:58:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I have encountered a lot of odd balls who write up estimates. My money usually flows to the places who know how to act like a human. I don't really care if your last customer complained to you for 15 minutes about a "noise". This is your job. It's all you have to do. Just be good at it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:59:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Customers are broke ass idiots who want something for nothing.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Most mechanics HATE people that understand how cars work, even moreso if they can turn wrenches themselves and are bringing their vehicle to a shop because they lack the time, space or motivation to do the job themselves. Or it is something that isn't in their wheelhouse.

I have encountered it several times as a pretty hardcore shadetree wrench. I farm out things like internal transmission work, alignments, differential setup and the like. I also don't do heavy work on the girlfriend's car (Lexus are a nightmare to work on).

For the most part I STFU about my ability and let them talk. Kind of a holdback to make sure I am not being bullshitted.

A lot of mechanics are socially awkward and don't like people much.
View Quote
Every person who came in claiming to know what they were talking about on a car barely knew anything, but for some reason thought they knew more than I do.  My favorite was a guy telling me the coolant bleeding procedure for his car.  Claiming you had to hook up a charger and bleed it electronically and posting a review saying I was obviously not facotry trained since I had no idea what he was talking about.  He was absolutely wrong by the way.  His engine has a mechanical pump, he was confused by the bleed procedure for the in line six engines.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:02:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I had a guy tell me he refused to rebuild the rear differential on my 2000 chevy S10 because the cost of repairs would exceed the value of the vehicle. (Pinion bearing went out)
I told him that's not the point, the vehicle is paid off, it's my daily driver and not an insurance claim. I want it fixed.

I guess he didn't want my money.

He just said come get your truck. Fuck that guy.
View Quote
Had it happen often enough that when I repair a vehicle and the cost of the repair goes higher than the value of said vehicle the customer refuses to pay. I wouldn't have done it either unless paid for in cash up front.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:03:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Flat rate, everyone already knows whats wrong with their vehicle and how to fix it. This is the only business where the customer can come in complain tell us when and how were going to work on their vehicle even if they are dead wrong on the concern. Dealer principles have destroyed the business through flat rate and the warranty processes I work in a commercial/diesel shop and I cant tell you the amount of time my guys spend on warranty concerns and end up not getting paid for are ridiculous. Its a business like a doctors office should be but ran like a restaurant. In short years of mismanagement dumb ass dealer principles Have made this business shit the groups and manufactures have gained more money while employees took the hit. In turn anytime the phone rings I already hate who ever is calling off principle. Especially at the holidays.
View Quote
I worked retail long enough to hate customers. But what would you do if the customers stopped calling and went away? I have worked for several world class asshole billionaires but I still did my job and said yes sir because that was my job.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:03:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not the service bulletin fix, but sometimes easier to pop the bed on a pickup.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:04:36 PM EDT
[#27]
My mechanic is a former teammate. He has always treated me well.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
1- customers insist they know what is wrong with their vehicles, but still need to bring to a mechanic for some reason

2- people seem to think fixing cars are easy and cheap

3- friends, aquaintances, family, neighbors, anyone who sees you 1 time think you owe them something and want their car fixed for free, or free diag over a forum or phone

if customers know so much better about cars, then why are you bothering calling a repair center?

and if you do bring in for repair...CLEAN THE GOSH DARN CAR OUT OF YOUR GARBAGE, STANK, DIRTY ASHTRAYS, OLD FOOD, DILDOS, AND THAT NASTY ASS SMELL
View Quote
As to #1, I happen to live in a Townhouse complex that doesn’t allow vehicle maintenance in the parking lot and my truck is too big to fit in the garage and still have room to work.  Also, I work 50-60hrs. per week (sometimes more) and I don’t have the time/energy to perform major maintenance on my vehicles on most days/weeks.

I understand that you probably get a shit ton of know-it-all’s who really don’t know anything, but there are plenty of guys out there who do know their shit and can tell when they’re being given the runaround.

In any case, there are plenty of reasons why a mechanically inclined person would farm out major automobile maintenance to a repair shop.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:04:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It's a miserable occupation.

If you can tolerate the many levels of bullshit associated with that job, good for you. But you get shit on from all angles.
View Quote
and the hours and pay are so great

oh, wait, no they aren't
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:05:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
because now they gotta pull the tank to replace a sender with a full tank of fuel, which requires draining the tank first and that pretty much sucks no matter how good your gas caddy is.
View Quote
Pull the bed. Its usually like 6 bolts and a couple wire connectors.
I did this when I replaced the pump / sending unit on my ranger because the pump went out with a full tank.
Super easy, less messy, and way faster
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/374309/fuel_pump-387825.JPG
View Quote
This is how I do it.   I leave the back 2 bolts in with just a few threads and I have a board I cut to just the right length so that it tilts the bad up as I let the lift down.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:07:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That too
Snort.

10 an hr, hourly for lube techs.  Up to 35 hr, flat rate for a master tech.  There are a few diesel techs making more but they are few and far between.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:07:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Tons of people think they are the scum of the world for not fixing your car for free.

Same with HVACR. People need your help call you to diagnose the problem then are like

“well that’s easy, why does it cost that much though.”
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:07:55 PM EDT
[#34]
I would rather deal with the person fixing my vehicle-the mechanic- directly than being up sold and BS'd by a service writer.
I have a good friend who was a service writer for a big Ford dealership in Milwaukee.
He finally quit due to what he was told/expected to do do customers.
Moved up north to no where and turns wrenches at a Farm implement dealer.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:09:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The rest of it is true
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
People that work on cars are the most angry assholes in the world.

Most customers are complete dumbasses so you get lumped in there with all of them.

Same thing with every profession... aka my baby dindu nuffin.

The rest of it is true
hold on there fella, you don't know me

Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Service writers never pass on useful info to the mechanics.

Once I was having an intermittent A/C fan issue. I did a bunch of shit and never could figure it out, so I brought it to a local mom and pop shop. I typed up and printed out a clear, concise bullet point list of the symptoms and what I did to alleviate them, and taped it to the A/C panel in the car.

When I came back to pick it up the mechanic actually came up to the desk and shook my hand and thanked me profusely.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:18:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Every person who came in claiming to know what they were talking about on a car barely knew anything, but for some reason thought they knew more than I do.  My favorite was a guy telling me the coolant bleeding procedure for his car.  Claiming you had to hook up a charger and bleed it electronically and posting a review saying I was obviously not facotry trained since I had no idea what he was talking about.  He was absolutely wrong by the way.  His engine has a mechanical pump, he was confused by the bleed procedure for the in line six engines.
View Quote
don't you just love the "I used to own a 69 beetle and I used to work on them for a living, so I know everything about my Q7 and your wrong" types.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:19:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:20:39 PM EDT
[#39]
It sounds like a lot mechanics are predisposed to dislike people who have a bit of mechanical knowledge. Does that change when the customer is super polite and defers to your experience? That's how I am when I take anything in for service. I just don't appreciate being treated like a second class citizen for bringing my business.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The service writer that answers the phone isn't a mechanic
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:22:37 PM EDT
[#41]
The last "service writer" I had to deal with made the mistake of getting snarky with me when I told him I had rotated my own tires.

He repeated the same words I had just told him, but with an incredulous "you did WHAT???" like I had just performed surgery without being a surgeon.

I told the snippy little fuqq, in NO uncertain terms, that I had rebuilt my first engines DECADES before he was even a dirty look in his daddy's eye.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:24:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Medical Service Folks are generally arrogant as hell too...
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It sounds like a lot mechanics are predisposed to dislike people who have a bit of mechanical knowledge. Does that change when the customer is super polite and defers to your experience? That's how I am when I take anything in for service. I just don't appreciate being treated like a second class citizen for bringing my business.
View Quote
They are just burnt out from know it alls. Doesn't make it right, but it is what it is.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:25:04 PM EDT
[#44]
99% of the time it's the customers fault.  They go in already thinking they're going to get fucked so are predisposed to treat the service manager/mech like shit.  I've never really had a problem with them.  I fix most of my own shit unless it's under warranty.  If I have to go to a mechanic, I treat them fairly and get the same back.  Same with dealership warranty work or mechanic shit. Too many customers are pricks and blame their prickness on everyone else because pricks don't know they're pricks.

Not saying that's your case.  Maybe a one of, if so, you should use another dealership/mechanic.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:25:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
don't you just love the "I used to own a 69 beetle and I used to work on them for a living, so I know everything about my Q7 and your wrong" types.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dude, I owned a 1992 Golf VR6.  It's basically the same thing as the one in the Q7.  I used to wrench on that when I was a kid, it wasn't hard.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:26:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Tons of people think they are the scum of the world for not fixing your car for free.

Same with HVACR. People need your help call you to diagnose the problem then are like

“well that’s easy, why does it cost that much though.”
View Quote
Because we are going to cheat you up your Wazooo...

And you are going to LIKE IT!!!

Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
This guy gets it
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:27:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Medical Service Folks are generally arrogant as hell too...
View Quote
Oh lawdy yes.

Try telling them something you researched and know a bit about and they will act like "I am a DOCTOR, how DARE you question my infinite knowledge, you ignorant scumbag"

I have met exactly TWO medical persons (one Doc, one LPN) that didn't act like this.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:28:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That too
Our Master Tech makes close to 40 an hour I think on flat rate, I'm doing near MasterTech level work with certain stuff such as electrical but I only get paid 12 an hour hourly, that will change fairly soon though I hope
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Huh, neat, hell on some of our kias we don't even have to drop the tank their is a accessport that you can pull the fuel pump out of
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top