Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:59:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think there's an agreement in place that no country can do that sort of thing. Though I think that's dumb ass fuck.  If a American vessels travels there, lands, a human gets out and plants a flag, why the fuck shouldn't it be ours? And if someone else does it, same to them.
View Quote
There were other agreements we were party to before President Trump imposed America First and opted out.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:02:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

We have lab experiment level dusty plasma.
We have testbed space reactors, although not gas core.
We have a working testbed VASIMR.

NSWR is an interesting idea, but research is not as advanced and it is a harder to sell and much costlier. NSWR uses extremely expensive combined fuel/reaction mass. If we wanted to go interstellar, it might be the ticket, but we have a lot of stuff to do in the solar system first.

VASIMR and FFRE at lower estimates of Isp are >= a NSWR at theoretical max Isp.
View Quote
NSWR would be perfect for the solar system. Even a high thrust+Isp design would have long travel times to places like Titan, the Jovian moons, etc.

Vasimr and FFRE are very low thrust. You lose many of the advantages of high ISP if it takes you months to accelerate to useful speeds. NSWR is high thrust and high ISP.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I only brought up mining as in to dig out tunnels and make large chambers deep under the moon's surface, not really mining, so excavating I suppose.
View Quote
OK. Still mining as you would want to attempt to refine useful materials from the regolith for your moon base...
But it might be easier to seal up existing hollows (lava tubes).
I'm just not convinced of the utility of a Moon base over Mars exploration. The moon is an airless bunch of crater riddle Earth mantle material/solidified lava... and that is all it ever was. Mars might have been a living planet once.

The Moon's gravity well is plenty deep, but the dV you need to get there vs Mars isn't that different especially on account of Mars having an atmosphere for aerobraking.
Mars also has nice 12.3 hour long nights while the Moon has 328 hour long nights. Thermal management is much tougher on the moon because of the long days/nights combined with (near) vacuum.
The problem with Mars is the transit time to get there (and lag for emergent resupply) but nuclear propulsion reduces this problem a lot.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:03:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

No

and

No
View Quote
I welcome learning about it.

That’s just how I’ve understood it for a minute.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:05:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I have serious doubts about the profitability of a government-directed lunar base to jump start asteroid mining.

Which minerals are currently cost feasible to extract that way? (significantly cheaper than earth-mining), where are they/which asteroids, and what does the price have to be to make them profitable for the level of risk involved?

Remember, there's a shit ton of oil on earth that oil companies know exactly where it is but don't bother extracting... yet.  The price dictates which oil gets extracted first.

We don't even have all the necessary technologies developed to perform asteroid mining.  I have no doubt we'll develop them when the time comes.   But who should decide when the time is right?  The market or government?   Government's track record at these kinds of things generally sucks ass.    Government is the only business in the world that gets to avoid going out of business by threatening to shoot you if you don't do business with them.

Well... almost the only business that does that.  
View Quote
SpaceX BFR is aiming for price to LEO of under $100/kg. Asteroid mining by private companies likely becomes profitable at those levels. A lot of activity becomes profitable/affordable at those prices.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:05:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Correct, which means lots of mining and other construction that's just not realistic imo. Mars makes more sense, there is an atmosphere, closer to Earths gravity and a small amount of water left. My question is what happened to the Martian core? What caused the planet to lose it's magnetic field? (As I understand it, it has and that's why the solar winds are slowly but continuously stripping away it's atmosphere)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd settle for a permanent Moon base first.
the moon is a much much more hazardous environment for humans than mars

absolutely no atmosphere
everything has to be a pressure vessel
extreme low gravity
radiation
temperature differentials
micro meteor hazards
regolith sticks to everything and is carcinogenic

just to name a few

a moon base would need to be under ground with minimal activity on the surface
Correct, which means lots of mining and other construction that's just not realistic imo. Mars makes more sense, there is an atmosphere, closer to Earths gravity and a small amount of water left. My question is what happened to the Martian core? What caused the planet to lose it's magnetic field? (As I understand it, it has and that's why the solar winds are slowly but continuously stripping away it's atmosphere)
the latest "potential" discovery of lava tubes (31 miles long) on the moon has possibilities but still much harsher than mars

if i made a conjecture about mars core not moving anymore, possibly it could be the interaction of the sun's magnetic field and our iron core which keeps ours moving (sun mag field = stator , earth iron core = rotor, earth orbit = commutation  => in other words an electric motor)

where as mars is just far enough away (inverse cube law) that magnetic effects were not sufficient to keep its core moving
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

NSWR would be perfect for the solar system. Even a high thrust+Isp design would have long travel times to places like Titan, the Jovian moons, etc.

Vasimr and FFRE are very low thrust. You lose many of the advantages of high ISP if it takes you months to accelerate to useful speeds. NSWR is high thrust and high ISP.
View Quote
The "after burner" mode for a DP FFRE is high enough thrust to regain all those advantages and still keeps the costs well within what is acheivable with realistic budgets.

Sure, we won't get sizable fractions of c like the NSWR, but you can get a FFRE manned outer solar system mission up with 3 heavy launches (one of which carriers a well contained radioactive payload) instead of 10+ heavy launches (most of which carry a poorly contained radioactive payload).
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:09:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So enlighten me as to what we are cutting in order to make this economically feasible? Adding more to the national debt in order to skip around on the moon is not what we need right now.
New technologies spur economic growth.

If you want to cut costs, cut welfare.  Welfare is ripe with fraud; let the cleaned-up FBI start there and shut down able bodied people being on the dole.

NASA put men on the moon, multiple missions, using less than 5% of the national budget.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:11:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

New technologies spur economic growth.

If you want to cut costs, cut welfare.  Welfare is ripe with fraud; let the cleaned-up FBI start there and shut down able bodied people being on the dole.

NASA put men on the moon, multiple missions, using less than 5% of the national budget.
View Quote
We spend about $16b/year on NASA, which is equal to what we spend on welfare-type programs every 2-3 days.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:11:30 PM EDT
[#10]
The essential hurdle for humanity is getting enough manufacturing capacity out of the gravity well to become self-replicating.

It doesn't matter what the economic value of the commodities are on Earth, it only matters what they're worth in space.

Emerging technologies such as additive manufacturing, automation, AI, miniaturization, cheaper heavy lift, and so on are rapidly bringing the cost of clearing that hurdle down to Earth. It's just not quite there yet.

At some point we're going to clear it, and then it's just a matter of time before all the resources in the system that aren't too deep in a gravity well are exploitable.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:12:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

absolutely no atmosphere
extreme low gravity
radiation
micro meteor hazards

just to name a few

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

absolutely no atmosphere
extreme low gravity
radiation
micro meteor hazards

just to name a few

Imagine a radio telescope on the "dark" side of the moon.

Mars is no picnic either, with no magnetosphere to block the solar wind.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:14:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
"President Donald Trump[/img]
View Quote
And Bush also said the same thing about the moon. And Obama said the same thing about Mars. If we get to Mars, it probably will be Elon Musk who does it. I've got an article from 1986 that says NASA should be on Mars within a decade. At this point, I have more faith in SpaceX under Musk.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:16:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Might as well go full torchship and see if the Zubrin Nuclear Salt Water Rocket + Magnetic nozzles, or something along those lines, is realistic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually it increased under Obummer $wise, holding steady %wise despite federal dollars being redirected elsewhere.

W shouted for Mars too while killing the STS replacement program.

Let's see if Trumps shouting is backed by actual funding. I doubt it. Congress doesn't give two shits about the NASA goal. They only care about $ spent in their district.

I don't really care about the moon.

I want to see NASA proiritize and achieve over the next 15 years:

1. Dusty Plasma Fission Fragment Propulsion
2. Nuclear gas core reactors to power VASIMR
3. Manned missions to asteroids and Mars (Requires #2)
4. Asteroid/Comet Redirect Mission (Requires #1/#2)
5. Launch landers for Europa, Callisto, Titan, and Enceladus (requires #1)

If NASA funded those missions while using private sector launch systems to get them out of atmo, that would be the optimal way to go. I'd support 2% of the federal budget for that instead of the 0.5% NASA has been getting.
Might as well go full torchship and see if the Zubrin Nuclear Salt Water Rocket + Magnetic nozzles, or something along those lines, is realistic.
Might want to wait for the results of NASA putting an EM drive into orbit.  EM drive would be the ideal solution to getting around the inner system IF it works.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:16:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The essential hurdle for humanity is getting enough manufacturing capacity out of the gravity well to become self-replicating.

It doesn't matter what the economic value of the commodities are on Earth, it only matters what they're worth in space.

Emerging technologies such as additive manufacturing, automation, AI, miniaturization, cheaper heavy lift, and so on are rapidly bringing the cost of clearing that hurdle down to Earth. It's just not quite there yet.

At some point we're going to clear it, and then it's just a matter of time before all the resources in the system that aren't too deep in a gravity well are exploitable.
View Quote
I really wouldn't surprised it at some point in the far future, the moon is one giant industrial park servicing Earth.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:17:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No

and

No

1. See my post on this page comparing Mars vs Moon as feasible and beneficial exploration targets.

2. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is cool and all that, but mass driver bombardment of Earth from the Moon is only sensible if one first flies up gobs and gobs of material and develops a massive mining facility over decades to include a nuclear/solar maglev launcher to return refined materials to Earth... that is nuts. Remember the gravity well maxim: never go down a gravity well to get something that you get find without going down the gravity well. We can mine more profitably on asteroids, so the moon mine maglev launcher never gets built and the moon commands nothing. Say you did build the maglev launcher, such a device would be under the tightest controls and probably have self-destruct fail-safes built in plus a backup plan to nuke it from orbit in case a madman seized control.

Back to the original premise: owning the high ground... if I wanted to bombard the Earth, I don't need to go to the moon. There are plenty of rocks to redirect from unpredictable directions at much higher velocities.... or just put something in Earth orbit and drop it on command (much faster response time). Lastly, as long as nuclear submarines remain highly survivable, there is little reason to pursue deterrence weapons in outer space.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:18:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?t=22s&v=PtBy_ppG4hY

ETA: apparently I am too dumb to post YouTube videos
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So enlighten me as to what we are cutting in order to make this economically feasible? Adding more to the national debt in order to skip around on the moon is not what we need right now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?t=22s&v=PtBy_ppG4hY

ETA: apparently I am too dumb to post YouTube videos
[youtube]watch?t=22s[/youtube]
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:18:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Might want to wait for the results of NASA putting an EM drive into orbit.  EM drive would be the ideal solution to getting around the inner system IF it works.
View Quote
EM drive is most likely bunk, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#18]
You want Technology?

'Cause that's how you get Technology.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:21:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Shortly after Obummer cancelled the space shuttle and said we will use the Russians one I was at NASA taking a tour.

The guy doing the presentation of course mentioned this, and tried hard to spin it as a positive.

I commented "Isn't that kinda like relying on your neighbor (who you are pretty sure is stealing your paper) to get to work every day?"

The color drained out of that poor dudes face. Some of the other NASA workers were grinning so hard they had to look away.

CSB
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:21:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:21:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hope the US claims Mars
I'd settle for both and repealing and voiding the space treaty that bans nations from claiming shit.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:21:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think there's an agreement in place that no country can do that sort of thing. Though I think that's dumb ass fuck.  If a American vessels travels there, lands, a human gets out and plants a flag, why the fuck shouldn't it be ours? And if someone else does it, same to them.
View Quote
The US can't claim the Moon or Mars, per the 1967 Outer Space Treaty and host of other agreements signed in the 60s.

The motivations behind such agreements should be obvious.  Although they made a good plot device in "Meteor", you really don't want orbital missile launchers.

Also, while it's fun to think about it, the bottom line is that the US government isn't going back to the Moon. There is no real motivation and nothing to "win". Private enterprise would be much better at figuring out useful things to do in space than government supported efforts.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:22:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Moon base is a necessary step if we ever get off this rock. Also he who owns the moon controls earth as far as i understand. Sits at the top of our gravity well and can drop little presents down to us with impunity.
View Quote
That's a nice theory, but in practice you don't have enough energy available on the moon to lift enough mass to be a threat to a nation on Earth.  On the other hand, any nation with spacelift capability on Earth could threaten an installation on the moon with a rocket carrying a payload not much heavier than the Apollo missions.  Heck, the lift capacity required to build on the moon would be higher than the capacity required to pose a threat to it.  You woulnd't even have to attack it directly - simply ensuring no supplies can get there would be enough to let everyone there die in relatively short order unless the installation was completely self-sufficient, to include manufacturing of necessary goods and especially food.

A moon base is NOT required for a Mars mission.  In fact, putting a payload on Mars takes less fuel than putting the same payload on the Moon, since you can use Mars's atmosphere for braking.  It takes longer, but does not require more fuel.  As noted, the surface of Mars is much more hospitable for a base, and raw materials for life support and fuel are much more readily available on Mars than on the Moon.

The Moon may (eventually) be a useful location for supporting large scale exploration/exploitation of the solar system at some point, but for the short term it would take more effort to build a useful support system on the Moon than it would to just go to where ever we plan to directly.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

absolutely no atmosphere
extreme low gravity
radiation
micro meteor hazards

just to name a few

View Quote
We still need to claim it as our own.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:26:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
That is retarded. Radio telescopes work in the day. Let's pretend you meant visible or IR. Well, the "dark side" is only dark half the time.

Instead of launching a telescope to the moon, paying for the extra rocket to have it soft land, then deploying it, and launching a lunar communications satellite network to get data from it when it out of line of site with earth... itwould be about a gajillion times better to send it to a Sun-Earth L2 halo orbit.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:27:47 PM EDT
[#26]
MAGA. America was at her best during the “Space Race.” Whole new technologies invented to send a man to the moon, time for another challenge.

In before the cats that bitch about government spending on such things.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:28:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That's a nice theory, but in practice you don't have enough energy available on the moon to lift enough mass to be a threat to a nation on Earth.  On the other hand, any nation with spacelift capability on Earth could threaten an installation on the moon with a rocket carrying a payload not much heavier than the Apollo missions.  Heck, the lift capacity required to build on the moon would be higher than the capacity required to pose a threat to it.  You woulnd't even have to attack it directly - simply ensuring no supplies can get there would be enough to let everyone there die in relatively short order unless the installation was completely self-sufficient, to include manufacturing of necessary goods and especially food.

A moon base is NOT required for a Mars mission.  In fact, putting a payload on Mars takes less fuel than putting the same payload on the Moon, since you can use Mars's atmosphere for braking.  It takes longer, but does not require more fuel.  As noted, the surface of Mars is much more hospitable for a base, and raw materials for life support and fuel are much more readily available on Mars than on the Moon.

The Moon may (eventually) be a useful location for supporting large scale exploration/exploitation of the solar system at some point, but for the short term it would take more effort to build a useful support system on the Moon than it would to just go to where ever we plan to directly.

Mike
View Quote
Solar power + Coilguns/linear accelerators

dV from lunar surface to Earth transfer is only 2.54km/s
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:30:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Wait I thought nasa had to big up Muslims who’s going to do that now
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:30:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

And Bush also said the same thing about the moon. And Obama said the same thing about Mars. If we get to Mars, it probably will be Elon Musk who does it. I've got an article from 1986 that says NASA should be on Mars within a decade. At this point, I have more faith in SpaceX under Musk.
View Quote
Exactly. Every President since Kennedy has been spouting off about going to Mars... and ever administration actually kills or ignores programs that would actually do it starting when Nixon killed the nuclear space propulsion program in 1972 (we were going to put a NERVA upper stage on a Saturn V and go to Mars in the 1970s).
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:37:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Exactly. Every President since Kennedy has been spouting off about going to Mars... and ever administration actually kills or ignores programs that would actually do it starting when Nixon killed the nuclear space propulsion program in 1972 (we were going to put a NERVA upper stage on a Saturn V and go to Mars in the 1970s).
View Quote
Meh NERVA is barely better than hydrolox rockets anyway.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:40:48 PM EDT
[#31]
I really don't see another bout of exploration like we had in the 60s.

We had a clear mandate, we had motivation to do it to honor the assassinated president who gave us the mandate, we had serious competition from the USSR, we were only hiring the best and brightest not trying to fill diversity quotas, and the public gave a shit.

I don't see this repeating itself. We care more about which celebrity tweeted what, obamaphones, and pointless bullshit.

Its a fucking shame. If they kept up the optempo from the 60s until today we would have a base on mars and routine space tourism.

Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:43:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably, since it appears to violate known principles of physics.

However, there were enough anomalies in testing on the Earth that NASA wants to put one in orbit for further testing.  I'm keeping an open mind.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:45:36 PM EDT
[#33]
The scene...  NASA announces the impending arrival of a large meteor that will strike Earth within ten years.  The U.S. starts on an ambitious project to transport our best and brightest to a temporary safe zone on the planet Mars.  The government discloses that they have secretly been preparing this base for many years.  All the faculties of prestigious universities fight to get their place on the space ship.  As does our political elite ruling class.  Workers, southerners, and mid westerners are noticeably excluded.   The media crows about how the elite is poised to remake the planet when it is safe to return.

On launch day, President Trump in his second term, pushes the button at the end of the count down.  The space ship soars off.  A general asks The President why he chose to stay behind and not go to the safe zone on Mars.  "Safe Zone on Mars?  Are you crazy?  Who said anything about a Safe Zone?"  And everyone rejoiced.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#34]
@Neotopiaman here are 3 pdfs worth looking at FFRE:
FFRE Mission Profiles for Mars and Jupiter manned missions 2014
FFRE v VASIMR Presentation 2012
FFRE Report 2011

If you have similar on NSWR I'd be keen to read.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:51:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Mike
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Moon base is a necessary step if we ever get off this rock. Also he who owns the moon controls earth as far as i understand. Sits at the top of our gravity well and can drop little presents down to us with impunity.

Mike
I disagree.  One of the most vital things that could be learned from establishing a lunar base is how to make that base self sufficient.  Oh sure, the initial setup won't be organic, but once you're set up with a minimum population and solar panels/batteries you can start working on aquaponics tunnels, see how your fish would grow in a 1/6 g environment.  You've got mostly free energy from solar/battery so that's one advantage you have over Mars or Earth.  There may or may not be enough minerals readily available on the moon to start doing organic construction there.

Someone upthread said that regolith is carcinogenic.  This is the first I've heard of that.  I know it's incredibly abrasive, but carcinogenic?  Can I get a citation on that?
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:51:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Meh NERVA is barely better than hydrolox rockets anyway.
View Quote
I'm no big fan of a NERVA style NTR, but it was quick and dirty 50s tech to get to Mars in the 70s. I wouldn't advocate it now.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:53:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Agreed to a point ,but it's so much more than skipping around the moon. Hell, just watching When we left Earth makes me want to design and create things, that whole period was inspiring.

We are a nation of angry little kids obsessed over what the kid next to us has done to offend us. We to need to be told and shown that it's of ok to dream and learn the knowledge to make that dream a reality.

We need to be shown that drive, creativity and talent are not dead in this country.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:53:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
kill off welfare and it would 100% funded with money left over.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:53:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
That is retarded. Radio telescopes work in the day. Let's pretend you meant visible or IR. Well, the "dark side" is only dark half the time.

Instead of launching a telescope to the moon, paying for the extra rocket to have it soft land, then deploying it, and launching a lunar communications satellite network to get data from it when it out of line of site with earth... itwould be about a gajillion times better to send it to a Sun-Earth L2 halo orbit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

What is a radio telescope listening for?  What is the "brightest" source of that near every other radio telescope we currently have?  What is the "dark" side of the moon ALWAYS dark to?
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This.  It's a total waste of money and the original moon landings were more to score political points and bragging rights.   There was never any real scientific reason to send humans there or anywhere else.

All the necessary science and and should be done by robots.
View Quote
That canon ball on mars is one reason to send humans. A robot takes a picture and moves on. A human would go over and pick it up.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:54:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
@Neotopiaman here are 3 pdfs worth looking at FFRE:
FFRE Mission Profiles for Mars and Jupiter manned missions 2014
FFRE v VASIMR Presentation 2012
FFRE Report 2011

If you have similar on NSWR I'd be keen to read.
View Quote
There isn't really much info on NSWRs, unfortunately.

FFRE would pretty much be the ultimate for space probes though.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:55:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
+ the moon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hope the US claims Mars
+ the moon.
damn right
Dominate earth and space!

for the the galactic children
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:56:32 PM EDT
[#43]
That's all well and good, but there's no money for it. The NASA budget would need to be increased 10 times to scratch the surface.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:56:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I have serious doubts about the profitability of a government-directed lunar base to jump start asteroid mining.

Which minerals are currently cost feasible to extract that way? (significantly cheaper than earth-mining), where are they/which asteroids, and what does the price have to be to make them profitable for the level of risk involved?

Remember, there's a shit ton of oil on earth that oil companies know exactly where it is but don't bother extracting... yet.  The price dictates which oil gets extracted first.

We don't even have all the necessary technologies developed to perform asteroid mining.  I have no doubt we'll develop them when the time comes.   But who should decide when the time is right?  The market or government?   Government's track record at these kinds of things generally sucks ass.    Government is the only business in the world that gets to avoid going out of business by threatening to shoot you if you don't do business with them.

Well... almost the only business that does that.  
View Quote
if it is already up there, we don't have to spend the money to get it there. If we build the manufacturing and refining capacity on the moon / orbit, then mining metallic asteroids would be profitable for building stuff in space.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

absolutely no atmosphere
extreme low gravity
radiation
micro meteor hazards

just to name a few

View Quote
With a moon base we could easily build a rail gun/launcher and drop moon rocks at high velocities on lil Kim and his nuclear launchers.

SCORE!
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:59:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Mars is no picnic either, with no magnetosphere to block the solar wind.
View Quote
there is no dark side, at least not in a permanent sense. the entire surface of the moon sees sunlight at some point in its rotation.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:59:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Really?

What is a radio telescope listening for?  What is the "brightest" source of that near every other radio telescope we currently have?  What is the "dark" side of the moon ALWAYS dark to?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

And how radio "bright" is Earth at 1 million miles?

I'll argue for a telescope at 550AU that uses the Sun as a gravitational lens over a radiotelescope on the moon.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 4:03:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

And how radio "bright" is Earth at 1 million miles?
View Quote
With an FFRE you could probably push a decent space telescope way out to the edge of the solar system, maybe an outer planet lagrange point.

would probably take a few years but who give a fuck.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
And then when the next democrat is elected they will shut down everything due to "cost" and nasa will be back to researching global warming.
View Quote
I think you mean, "running a muslim outreach program." Isn't that what the previous administration did with NASA?

(I still prefer private, commercial solutions to spaceflight over state solutions though.)
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 4:08:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top