Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 4:35:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I just finished reading "Artemis" by Andy Weir, author of the "The Martian".

It's set about 50 years in the future, in a working Moon city called Artemis.  The setup to how it was created is quite plausible, as is the tourism-based economy.  Power from nuclear reactors.  Aluminum for the dome construction from a smelter powered by the reactors, which also produce oxygen as a by-product.  Most everything is imported from Earth except "gunk" which is an awful algae-based food product grown on the Moon.

This isn't Moonbase Alpha silliness, instead it seems like something that could really happen.  I'll trust Weir got the science right or mostly right.

Link Posted: 12/11/2017 5:05:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Didnt we already put a base there in 99??  
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 5:10:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd settle for a permanent Moon base first.
View Quote
Moon Base Alpha would have been smarter than building the ISS...
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Those places could use some climate change.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it too soon to complain about Liberals screaming that we will cause "Climate Change" on the Moon and Mars?
Those places could use some climate change.
Or just some climate to begin with.

I suggest we send all the liberals there so they can make it the paradise they envision.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote
Tubi TV has all of the episodes.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OK. Still mining as you would want to attempt to refine useful materials from the regolith for your moon base...
But it might be easier to seal up existing hollows (lava tubes).
I'm just not convinced of the utility of a Moon base over Mars exploration. The moon is an airless bunch of crater riddle Earth mantle material/solidified lava... and that is all it ever was. Mars might have been a living planet once.

The Moon's gravity well is plenty deep, but the dV you need to get there vs Mars isn't that different especially on account of Mars having an atmosphere for aerobraking.
Mars also has nice 12.3 hour long nights while the Moon has 328 hour long nights. Thermal management is much tougher on the moon because of the long days/nights combined with (near) vacuum.
The problem with Mars is the transit time to get there (and lag for emergent resupply) but nuclear propulsion reduces this problem a lot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I only brought up mining as in to dig out tunnels and make large chambers deep under the moon's surface, not really mining, so excavating I suppose.
OK. Still mining as you would want to attempt to refine useful materials from the regolith for your moon base...
But it might be easier to seal up existing hollows (lava tubes).
I'm just not convinced of the utility of a Moon base over Mars exploration. The moon is an airless bunch of crater riddle Earth mantle material/solidified lava... and that is all it ever was. Mars might have been a living planet once.

The Moon's gravity well is plenty deep, but the dV you need to get there vs Mars isn't that different especially on account of Mars having an atmosphere for aerobraking.
Mars also has nice 12.3 hour long nights while the Moon has 328 hour long nights. Thermal management is much tougher on the moon because of the long days/nights combined with (near) vacuum.
The problem with Mars is the transit time to get there (and lag for emergent resupply) but nuclear propulsion reduces this problem a lot.
We seem to be in agreement, a moon base is silly.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I just finished reading "Artemis" by Andy Weir, author of the "The Martian".

It's set about 50 years in the future, in a working Moon city called Artemis.  The setup to how it was created is quite plausible, as is the tourism-based economy.  Power from nuclear reactors.  Aluminum for the dome construction from a smelter powered by the reactors, which also produce oxygen as a by-product.  Most everything is imported from Earth except "gunk" which is an awful algae-based food product grown on the Moon.

This isn't Moonbase Alpha silliness, instead it seems like something that could really happen.  I'll trust Weir got the science right or mostly right.

www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y55SB48
View Quote
Speaking of space nerd books, did anyone else pick up the new Expanse book this week?
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 5:19:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd like to see the dependents of our country launched to the moon / mars first, to begin colonization efforts with the program.  If they die, they benefit mankind on earth.  If they live, they benefit mankind in outer space exploration.  They will be heros to us all.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#10]
You can't embed if you want to start the video at 22 second - you need the original link to start at the beginning.

Goatboy should fix this...
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 5:22:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Those Eagles are still yet one of my top favorite sci-fi spacecraft.

They are the most realistic as far as function and design to something that would be useful.   Dont need wings in space.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 5:22:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
the latest "potential" discovery of lava tubes (31 miles long) on the moon has possibilities but still much harsher than mars

if i made a conjecture about mars core not moving anymore, possibly it could be the interaction of the sun's magnetic field and our iron core which keeps ours moving (sun mag field = stator , earth iron core = rotor, earth orbit = commutation  => in other words an electric motor)

where as mars is just far enough away (inverse cube law) that magnetic effects were not sufficient to keep its core moving
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the moon is a much much more hazardous environment for humans than mars

absolutely no atmosphere
everything has to be a pressure vessel
extreme low gravity
radiation
temperature differentials
micro meteor hazards
regolith sticks to everything and is carcinogenic

just to name a few

a moon base would need to be under ground with minimal activity on the surface
Correct, which means lots of mining and other construction that's just not realistic imo. Mars makes more sense, there is an atmosphere, closer to Earths gravity and a small amount of water left. My question is what happened to the Martian core? What caused the planet to lose it's magnetic field? (As I understand it, it has and that's why the solar winds are slowly but continuously stripping away it's atmosphere)
the latest "potential" discovery of lava tubes (31 miles long) on the moon has possibilities but still much harsher than mars

if i made a conjecture about mars core not moving anymore, possibly it could be the interaction of the sun's magnetic field and our iron core which keeps ours moving (sun mag field = stator , earth iron core = rotor, earth orbit = commutation  => in other words an electric motor)

where as mars is just far enough away (inverse cube law) that magnetic effects were not sufficient to keep its core moving
Wow, I have never thought about that! I wonder if that sort of thing is taken into account when searching for other Earth like planets?
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 5:22:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm all for it, but I'm at a loss as to how he thinks we'll pay for it.  Give up the wall...for starters?
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 5:26:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?t=22s&v=PtBy_ppG4hY

ETA: apparently I am too dumb to post YouTube videos
View Quote
I just learned you don't have to be very bright to catch geese.

Link Posted: 12/11/2017 5:29:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Page three, in before a flat earther!

Link Posted: 12/11/2017 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wow, I have never thought about that! I wonder if that sort of thing is taken into account when searching for other Earth like planets?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the moon is a much much more hazardous environment for humans than mars

absolutely no atmosphere
everything has to be a pressure vessel
extreme low gravity
radiation
temperature differentials
micro meteor hazards
regolith sticks to everything and is carcinogenic

just to name a few

a moon base would need to be under ground with minimal activity on the surface
Correct, which means lots of mining and other construction that's just not realistic imo. Mars makes more sense, there is an atmosphere, closer to Earths gravity and a small amount of water left. My question is what happened to the Martian core? What caused the planet to lose it's magnetic field? (As I understand it, it has and that's why the solar winds are slowly but continuously stripping away it's atmosphere)

maybe there's more too the "goldilocks zone"  than just not too hot not too cold

maybe the zone also has ideal field strength conditions for that particular star
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#17]
1) Fire up one of the old apollo landers.
2) Go to moon and annex it for MURICA
3) With the rail gun in the cargo compartment.
4) 10 years from now you couldn't toss a beer can away without it hitting Chinese, Indian and Russian astronauts.
5) Presiously fantastical technologies will suddenly become commonplace. Just like the first space race.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 6:21:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I loved that show.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I loved that show.
The special effects crew from that show basically became Industrial Light and Magic for Lucas. They pioneered "optical printing" and the motion control camera. They used these tools to make squadrons of spacecraft for which there was only one scale model.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
With an FFRE you could probably push a decent space telescope way out to the edge of the solar system, maybe an outer planet lagrange point.

would probably take a few years but who give a fuck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And how radio "bright" is Earth at 1 million miles?
With an FFRE you could probably push a decent space telescope way out to the edge of the solar system, maybe an outer planet lagrange point.

would probably take a few years but who give a fuck.
I think the limiting factor is bandwidth  back to Earth... but if you have a nuclear reactor to power a high gain instead of a dinky RTG...
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 6:59:41 PM EDT
[#20]
The next Democrat President will simply rescind the order and we'll be back right here again.

You know, like Hussein did.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:13:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So enlighten me as to what we are cutting in order to make this economically feasible? Adding more to the national debt in order to skip around on the moon is not what we need right now.
View Quote
Shifting funding from Muslim outreach programs.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:28:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Moon base is dumb. Permanent space station in L1 is smart.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#24]
President Donald Trump on Monday will sign a directive aimed at sending Americans back to the moon
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:40:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:51:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
No sense in worrying about space when we can't even send the illegals back.
View Quote
I think it will be pretty hard for illegals to make it to the moon or Mars.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:08:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
We spend about $16b/year on NASA, which is equal to what we spend on welfare-type programs every 2-3 days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

New technologies spur economic growth.

If you want to cut costs, cut welfare.  Welfare is ripe with fraud; let the cleaned-up FBI start there and shut down able bodied people being on the dole.

NASA put men on the moon, multiple missions, using less than 5% of the national budget.
We spend about $16b/year on NASA, which is equal to what we spend on welfare-type programs every 2-3 days.
In 2011, the US military spent $20 Billion just on air conditioning.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:11:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Moon Base Alpha would have been smarter than building the ISS...
View Quote
not sure about smarter but it would've been a hell of a lot cooler

Also I watched the ISS fly by the other night...
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:56:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Gotta get off this rock and colonize others. Furthermore we need to add territory to the US. Entire astrological bodies seems fitting.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:57:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Presiously fantastical technologies will suddenly become commonplace. Just like the first space race.
View Quote
The "technology spin off" argument for space program investment is very old and very stale.  There were some on the 60s but arguably their time would have come regardless.

There have been some materials science spin offs from the Shuttle program but not since the 80s.

Computer and the related technologies? Nope.

You don't have a thing in your house or car that is a spin off from 1985+ space program investment. Perhaps if we build it, that will come but I doubt it.

Me, I want an EM drive and a fusion reactor not a new flag on the moon.  That will only happen with private investment not .gov program.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 10:51:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I think it will be pretty hard for illegals to make it to the moon or Mars.
View Quote
The penalty for stowaways is spacing.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 11:05:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The "technology spin off" argument for space program investment is very old and very stale.  There were some on the 60s but arguably their time would have come regardless.

There have been some materials science spin offs from the Shuttle program but not since the 80s.  Computer and the related technologies? Nope.

You don't have a thing in your house or car that is a spin off from 1985+ space program investment. Perhaps if we build it, that will come but I doubt it.

Me, I want an EM drive and a fusion reactor not a new flag on the moon.  That will only happen with private investment not .gov program.
View Quote
ETA: I was mostly meaning "manned spaceflight" not all the other research NASA has done over the years.  But you can read about spin-offs here and judge for yourself:
https://spinoff.nasa.gov/
https://www.nasa.gov/offices/oct/40-years-of-nasa-spinoff
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 11:14:25 PM EDT
[#33]
How is he going to get that to happen? Hollywood doesn't support him.

Link Posted: 12/11/2017 11:16:21 PM EDT
[#34]
WE'RE FUCKING BROKE.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 11:17:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
WE'RE FUCKING BROKE.
View Quote
we're always going to be fucking broke. Might as well make fun and interesting.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 11:21:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WE'RE FUCKING BROKE.
So we all have to want what you want?

I get sick of people who want to spend my money and my kids' and grandkids' money on shit they think would be cool.  It's no better than liberals who want to force everyone to pay for health care.

If it's so great, then pay for it yourself.  Or STFU and realize you're not willing to put your money where your mouth is.

If government sucks at everything it does, why do we need it to go to space?  Why?
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 11:25:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 11:28:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 11:29:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 11:30:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

so youd rather allow the russians or chinese have a stronger foothold in space than the united states?

it WILL be militarized sooner or later im just throwing that out there. and id rather we write the book on it than our competitors.
View Quote
Is a moon base and colonizing Mars part of that mission?
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 11:37:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I get sick of people who want to spend my money and my kids' and grandkids' money on shit they think would be cool.  It's no better than liberals who want to force everyone to pay for health care.

If it's so great, then pay for it yourself.  Or STFU and realize you're not willing to put your money where your mouth is.

If government sucks at everything it does, why do we need it to go to space?  Why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
WE'RE FUCKING BROKE.

Aside from all the science and technology benefits, how about national pride?
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 11:40:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
So enlighten me as to what we are cutting in order to make this economically feasible? Adding more to the national debt in order to skip around on the moon is not what we need right now.
View Quote
Its a national security issue that spans generations.  The historical advantages if naval and air superiority will eventually pale in comparison to space superiority.

Whoever gets the first mover advantage in space in terms of a permanent manned presence will dictate the direction of our solar system for centuries to come.

Look at our own hemisphere. It is what it is because of those who blazed the trail 500 years ago.  Eastern cultures can't take that back and declare a redo in order to have another shot at it.  What's done is done.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 11:51:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Aside from all the science and technology benefits, how about national pride?
View Quote
Space is cool.  It has science and technology benefits.  I don't need space to have pride in my country.  Do you?

Besides, is government the best hope for us to get into space?

Again, if government sucks at everything, why do we need it for this?  If there is so much to gain economically by getting to Mars, is government the best thing to get us there?
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 12:04:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Its a national security issue that spans generations.  The historical advantages if naval and air superiority will eventually pale in comparison to space superiority.

Whoever gets the first mover advantage in space in terms of a permanent manned presence will dictate the direction of our solar system for centuries to come.

Look at our own hemisphere. It is what it is because of those who blazed the trail 500 years ago.  Eastern cultures can't take that back and declare a redo in order to have another shot at it.  What's done is done.
View Quote
Rome grew way too large, and got their dicks slapped.  Persia grew way too large, and got their dicks slapped.  Britain grew way too large, and got their dicks slapped.  We are already doing too much.  And all of those countries saw a quality of life drop compared to what they used to have.  Which country colonized successfully and permanently beyond having another group of people that spoke their language?  Mexico rebelled successfully against Spain.  The US vs Britain.  India vs the UK.  Etc, etc.

Why will we be better for it?

Are you ready to fight Mars when they have Gadsden flags flying?  Why the fuck would they keep the US around once they're self sufficient?

Strategically, I think it's more important for us to be a prosperous nation NOW.  How much money should we sink into trying to get to Mars when effectively we're doing the R&D for China to simply copy later?

We.  Are.  Broke.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 12:18:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Pissing away tax dollars on some masturbatory science fiction fantasy is winning?
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 12:28:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Pissing away tax dollars on some masturbatory science fiction fantasy is winning?
View Quote
It's the Climate Change of the Right.

"Science!  You must fund it!  Or we're DOOOOMMMMED!!!!"
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 12:37:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Rome grew way too large, and got their dicks slapped.  Persia grew way too large, and got their dicks slapped.  Britain grew way too large, and got their dicks slapped.  We are already doing too much.  And all of those countries saw a quality of life drop compared to what they used to have.  Which country colonized successfully and permanently beyond having another group of people that spoke their language?  Mexico rebelled successfully against Spain.  The US vs Britain.  India vs the UK.  Etc, etc.

Are you ready to fight Mars when they have Gadsden flags flying?  Why the fuck would they keep the US around once they're self sufficient?

Strategically, I think it's more important for us to be a prosperous nation NOW.  How much money should we sink into trying to get to Mars when effectively we're doing the R&D for China to simply copy later?

We.  Are.  Broke.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We.  Are.  Broke.
I'm glad you bring up the example of the U.S. rebelling against Britain because it only illustrates my point.

Who has been Britain's most valuable ally over the past century?  The U.S.

Why?  Language and culture.

How did that happen?  Because they colonized this land first.

Zooming further out, why is English spoken almost every where in the world whereas nobody gives a fuck about Swahili?  Empire.

So yeah, I'd be happy to sign up for the rise and fall of an America empire in space if only to leave our footprint in terms of language and culture.

"We are broke" is a bullshit cop out.  We are so rich that we pay people to stay home and farmers not to farm.  We have every ability to prioritize a grand strategic plan for exploration over a million other things if we choose to.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 12:48:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'm glad you bring up the example of the U.S. rebelling against Britain because it only illustrates my point.

Who has been Britain's most valuable ally over the past century?  The U.S.

Why?  Language and culture.

How did that happen?  Because they colonized this land first.

Zooming further out, why is English spoken almost every where in the world whereas nobody gives a fuck about Swahili?  Empire.

So yeah, I'd be happy to sign up for the rise and fall of an America empire in space if only to leave our footprint in terms of language and culture.

"We are broke" is a bullshit cop out.  We are so rich that we pay people to stay home and farmers not to farm.  We have every ability to prioritize a grand strategic plan for exploration over a million other things if we choose to.
View Quote
Then choose to.  With other people who agree with you.  Don't force everyone else to.  Otherwise you're no different than a liberal trying to force your vision of a perfekt Amerika.

And nobody is answering the question.  If government sucks at everything, why are they best suited for this?

And in what universe is "We are broke" a bullshit cop-out, but "We are broke and we already waste a lot of money so let's waste more" is a sound strategy?
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 1:03:56 AM EDT
[#49]
@woodsie your avatar bothers me... the spent shells should not arc down Z... they should fly straight up the Y axis. I try telling myself the RCS is translating up the Z axis, but I'm not buying it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#50]
SpaceX FTW
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top