Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 12:01:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Not jaikbroken, don't care
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 12:11:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well the firesticks arrived today and all i can say is its a big fat waste of fucking money.
Went through all the kodi bullshit... which took fucking hours... only to find that most of the shit i click on takes forever to load, or wont load at all.

I dont have the fucking patience for this stupid bullshit.

I want to turn the goddamn tv on, pick a program and watch it.

What a waste of time.

My wife is now on the www trying to figure out how to use the damn thing since im now done with it.
View Quote
I have 2 firesticks (1st gen and 2nd gen) and they were laggy as hell and didn't do well with a marginal wifi signal. Added bonus with the 1st gen when it got too hot it just shuts down

The Amazon Fire box was a huge step up in terms of performance.

I'm with you on the rental fees also on cable boxes too. With taxes and fees it ends up being over $50/month. I think they even charge me a remote rental fee
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 12:27:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Cell data is kinda sketchy for HD streaming. You may want to do some testing first. Forget about 4K.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our cell phone plan has unlimited data.
We can use that to access www... essentially for free since we already pay for the cell phone plan.
Cell data is kinda sketchy for HD streaming. You may want to do some testing first. Forget about 4K.
For us we found it's just the opposite. Our dsl is only 6 megabytes per second . Our Sprint unlimited LTE data is as high as 75 megabytes per second.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 12:31:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Unless it's jailbroken you just bought another cord
View Quote
A YouTube video from Dr. Venture and 20 minutes and you'll have a Kodi 17.6 installed with the No Limits Build.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 12:32:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The device is just a way to display streamed content on your TV screen.  You can do the same thing using something like a chromecast, Roku, or an HDMI cable running from your computer to your TV.  Kodi is software that can run on the firestick, your computer etc that can be used to organize your own content or stream content, from both legitimate legal sources or....elsewhere.  You have to intentionally configure Kodi to go search for specific questionable sources, it's not something you will do by accident.

It sounds like elsewhere has recently changed, I don't know the details of the latter.  Two people I know ended up getting notices from Comcast/content creators (in this case MTV) to "knock it off" in their mail after using bit torrent and other...sources to stream video.  The notices contained references to what they had sourced, one being Teen Mom 2 of all fucking things.  He admitted he did download a season of it via bit torrent for his wife.  Apparently Comcast has some sort of strike system and after X strikes they will cut service for a year.  That's what the notice said anyway.

In addition to having my own personal morals on the topic, I use my connection for my job and my employer pays for it.  As such, I stick to legitimate sources and pay for content if I want to see it bad enough.

Kodi itself, like a peer to peer sharing platform such as bit torrent are perfectly legitimate.  Things just get hairy when people use them to do things that are questionable.

This topic has been known to lead to lengthy discussions about what is legal, who is at fault, the host or the client, who the host is, considering it is almost always fragmented etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is this where you drop Net Neutrality in?  I don't know what fire stick really does, have a kodi box but quit using it about a year ago.
The device is just a way to display streamed content on your TV screen.  You can do the same thing using something like a chromecast, Roku, or an HDMI cable running from your computer to your TV.  Kodi is software that can run on the firestick, your computer etc that can be used to organize your own content or stream content, from both legitimate legal sources or....elsewhere.  You have to intentionally configure Kodi to go search for specific questionable sources, it's not something you will do by accident.

It sounds like elsewhere has recently changed, I don't know the details of the latter.  Two people I know ended up getting notices from Comcast/content creators (in this case MTV) to "knock it off" in their mail after using bit torrent and other...sources to stream video.  The notices contained references to what they had sourced, one being Teen Mom 2 of all fucking things.  He admitted he did download a season of it via bit torrent for his wife.  Apparently Comcast has some sort of strike system and after X strikes they will cut service for a year.  That's what the notice said anyway.

In addition to having my own personal morals on the topic, I use my connection for my job and my employer pays for it.  As such, I stick to legitimate sources and pay for content if I want to see it bad enough.

Kodi itself, like a peer to peer sharing platform such as bit torrent are perfectly legitimate.  Things just get hairy when people use them to do things that are questionable.

This topic has been known to lead to lengthy discussions about what is legal, who is at fault, the host or the client, who the host is, considering it is almost always fragmented etc.
I found the inexpensive kodi box I got to be a bit glitchy from time to time, hence it collects dust.  There were a few cool sources pre installed, dumb, but web cams from various cities, other things I would have never thought to look for. I prefer The Bay for non copyrighted material streamed from laptop, to PS3, to tv for ease of use.  With Tivo, I haven't wanted or had the time to watch anything other than it records in a long time.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 12:38:03 AM EDT
[#6]
There are ways to adjust the codec on the Fire Stick to make it stream better. Just look on YouTube for a tutorial on kodi buffering fire stick.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 12:42:20 AM EDT
[#7]
We have two Firesticks and a Amazon Fire TV. They are all pieces of shit, but the Firesticks are the biggest pieces of shit of all. At least for Playstation Vue, which is primarily what we use them for, they are horribly slow and require restarts a couple times a day. The Amazon Fire TV is faster, but requires the same regular restarts. I got myself a PS4 for Christmas, Im going to use that for one TV, and I'm going to try two Rokus, hope they perform better.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 12:43:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have Firestick and Roku.

The Firestick is an inferior product by a wide margin.
View Quote
I have Firestick and would agree.  Nothing can have a worse interface with more garbage than this.  Wife bought it for me for Christmas last year and I really wish she'd gotten Roku instead.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 12:51:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't understand how TV isn't free. What other medium is 60% commercials that you have to PAY to watch? It's bizarre.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have Firestick and Roku.

The Firestick is an inferior product by a wide margin.
View Quote
I have both as well.  The Roku kicks the Firestick's butt every time.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 12:08:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I
Our cell phone plan has unlimited data.
We can use that to access www... essentially for free since we already pay for the cell phone plan.
View Quote
Lol.

Right up until you get throttled trying to run 3video sources
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 12:09:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Unless it's jailbroken you just bought another cord
View Quote
You keep using that but i dont think you know what it means.

It takes a couple of minutes to allow 3rd party apps
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 12:32:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Then you should stick with your normal TV.  Going 100% streaming requires a little effort to find what you want to watch.  Once you find your shows though you can sit down, pick one with a new episode and be watching TV in a few seconds.  I don't have a firestick, I use chromecasts but lots of people use firesticks.  It sounds like your internet connection is not fast enough to keep up or you have some sort of problem with the wireless in your home.

You also sound like you are very easily frustrated with technology if it doesn't work right the first time.  There is nothing wrong with that and your bitch is valid, but you should stick with normal TV.  Cutting normal cable TV takes some tweaking and adjusting of technology sometimes.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 1:53:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well the firesticks arrived today and all i can say is its a big fat waste of fucking money.
Went through all the kodi bullshit... which took fucking hours... only to find that most of the shit i click on takes forever to load, or wont load at all.

I dont have the fucking patience for this stupid bullshit.

What a waste of time.

My wife is now on the www trying to figure out how to use the damn thing since im now done with it.
View Quote
I find Kodi almost worthless.  Takes 30min to load a damn movie (after multiple attempts to load non-handycam files, typing in the link on your cell phone, etc)...
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 1:57:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Should have gone with a Roku.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 4:03:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Should have gone with a Roku.
View Quote
Can you load Kodi on a Roku? I have both Roku and Firesticks
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I find Kodi almost worthless.  Takes 30min to load a damn movie (after multiple attempts to load non-handycam files, typing in the link on your cell phone, etc)...
View Quote
I don't have this problem in general. Are you using a VPN? What is your download speed?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top