Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/30/2017 3:08:23 PM EDT
I've never got one before in my life gf keeps saying I should whats does Arfcom think of the flu shot?
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:10:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Get one very year. Tomorrow is my day.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:11:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've never got one before in my life gf keeps saying I should whats does Arfcom think of the flu shot?
View Quote

I think it's a waste of time.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:12:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I get one every year.  Just got mine this morning.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:12:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I did flu shots twice. Caught flu both times.

I've not received a flu shot in 15 years after and I've only caught it twice in that span.  I forgo them.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:13:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I get it every year.  Never had a problem or the flu.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:13:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
I never did until my company started paying us $50/year for getting it done (and sending people to our offices to do it, so it's super-convenient). Now I get it every year. It's a day or two of arm-soreness in exchange for possibly avoiding a week of misery. I say go for it. 
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:18:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I get one every year.  My employer brings in someone to give us shots if we want them.  Plus I have kids and they bring a bunch of nasties home from school.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I take a drug that suppresses that part of my immune system.

Almost no vaccine will work.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:23:35 PM EDT
[#9]
November flu shots are the best time to get one - giving you leak protection at the seasonal peak of infection prevalence.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:25:06 PM EDT
[#10]
My entire family gets one every year.

Guess What?

No flu.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Guess What?

No flu.
View Quote
I never get one.

Guess what?

No flu.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:28:19 PM EDT
[#12]
What are you afraid of OP?

I get mine every year. I never get the flu. There will be luddites and conspiratards here shortly to screech about things they know nothing of.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Everyone in my household gets a flumshot every year.  In the 20 years or so during which Wife and I have been getting a flu shot, neither of has contracted the flu.  Although I did end up with pnumonia last winter, and that was plenty sick enough.  

I had received the pnumonia vaccine, but the doc said pnumonia is line the flu, or common cold in that there are many strains, and I obviously got a strain of pnumonia NOT in the vaccine I received.

I highly recommend getting a flu shot.  Even if you are merely hedging your bets, a flu shot is very good way to avoid at least some strains of the flu.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:29:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Guess What?

No flu.
View Quote
I never get the shot, guess what no Flu.

Your family was probably never exposed to it. I am not saying they shouldn't get them, just saying the lack of Flu isn't proof of anything
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:31:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I never get one.

Guess what?

No flu.
View Quote
Does your wife work in the public school system?

Does your child attend said public schools?
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:31:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm required to get one for work. Otherwise probably wouldn't go out of my way to get one.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:32:08 PM EDT
[#17]
They'll be in the office next week giving them out.  I always get one.  Insurance covers it and I just have to walk over to a conference room.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:33:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I never get the shot, guess what no Flu.

Your family was probably never exposed to it. I am not saying they shouldn't get them, just saying the lack of Flu isn't proof of anything
View Quote
No, we've been exposed to it.  I was, as a soldier, my wife was, multiple times, as a teacher, and who knows what my boy is being exposed to right now.

If you have kids in school, remember, the majority of parents only view the system as "free" babysitting while they're at work.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Last Tuesday for me...
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:34:56 PM EDT
[#20]
The last time I got the shot, I got the flu.  I stopped getting it, and haven't gotten the flu in years.

I may be a statistical anomaly, but I'm going with skipping it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:35:03 PM EDT
[#21]
First and last time I remember getting one was over 10 years ago.  I got sick as a result.  No thanks.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#22]
GD is full of tier one confirmation bias operators. This is not the place to ask about flu shots.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:39:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Did I make it before the mind controlling serum crowd? Or before those who "got the flu" from an attenuated/inactive vaccine?

Your choice, OP. I'll keep getting mine.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:40:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Get mine every year. It doesn't cause the flu.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:40:59 PM EDT
[#25]
The only time I ever had the flu, was the year I got a flu shot
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I get one every year during my fall physical.  Not my plan, the nurse usually ask and just say "Sure, why not".

Don't know if I every got the flu.  How does one know if they caught 'the flu' or it was just any number of other random illnesses?
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Last year, for the first time in a dozen years, I did not get a flu shot.

Last year, for the first time in a dozen years, I did not get the flu.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:43:14 PM EDT
[#28]
I've been on and off about the flu shot for years. Most years, it was a free employee sponsored shot. The last couple of years, there hasn't been any appointments (in house) for the 2nd and 3rd shift people, so I've been forgoing it.

A friend of a classmate got the flu bad last year, posted pics of him in hospital bed with respirator and other stuff hooked up to him. That decided for me to get one this year.

$20 at costco is the lowest price of anyplaces. Walmart, walgreens, sams, other chains, all charge $35-40 for the same shot.

Downside is a bit of wait time for the pharmicist to catch up and get to you. About 45 minutes for me, that was with a pre-filled form.

ETA: I've had the flu, for real, once in my life. Other times might have been a bad cold/infection with flu-like symptoms.

Its quite possible that those who go the flu in spite of the shot either got a strain not covered by the shot, or got it too late to be effective. Or suffered from a bad cold/infection with flu like symptoms.

Every year, it's a guess as to which strains of the flu will be widespread, they can't cover them all. The shot I got covered 4 strains.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:45:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I heard it gives you the flu.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:45:08 PM EDT
[#30]
... annual flu shots have been good for me
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:45:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never get one.

Guess what?

No flu.

Gross!  No!  

I don't go out of my way to get it but if someone is offering a free flu shot, then I do it.  I got one this year because my HRT doc was giving them away.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:45:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:45:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The only time I ever had the flu, was the year I got a flu shot
View Quote
How long did this "flu" last?
Where you physically capable of working?
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#34]
It was free so why not?
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#35]
We did this a couple of weeks ago.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Had mine last week.  Felt slightly sick the next day. Felt back to normal the following day. 
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:57:55 PM EDT
[#37]
I prefer the one with the computer chip in it.

I got mine at first of this month.  Do or don't but statistics show you will be fine if you do.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 4:04:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I get one every year during my fall physical.  Not my plan, the nurse usually ask and just say "Sure, why not".

Don't know if I every got the flu.  How does one know if they caught 'the flu' or it was just any number of other random illnesses?
View Quote
If you caught real influenza you would know.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#39]
The wife got one last year. Now we're trying to figure out if she got GB from it, or MS that just happened to start showing symptoms at the same time.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 4:12:24 PM EDT
[#40]
I've never had a flu shot and I worked face to face with the public, sharing pens with every Sneezy, Wheezy, and Coughy who came in, handling money, etc. for 12 years and I've never had the flu.  

My 3 kids have never had a flu shot and have been in public school for 11 years.  One of them got the flu once.  Had a headache and a fever for a couple of days, the rest of us never got it.  

I don't get the people who say/think they get the flu all the time.  Statistically it doesn't add up.  For this month, 25,777 specimens for *flu like illness* have been tested and only 596 (2.3%) have been positive for the flu.    

I just don't buy that everyone is running around catching the flu.  It's likely a once-in-a-lifetime deal for most people.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 4:14:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Get one very year. Tomorrow is my day.
View Quote
I got my first one since '76 a week or two ago. I'm still alive and healthy so the shot didn't kill me.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 4:15:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Got the shot twice both times i got the worst flu i've ever had. The shot didn't cause it was just that they didn't get it right that particular year. A friend of mine who is a nurse tell's me that they have a 20 to 70 percent probability of getting it right. 
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
We did this a couple of weeks ago.
View Quote
I believe we did it twice a couple weeks ago.

Link Posted: 10/30/2017 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Flu shot cures autism...

...if you mainline it!

Link Posted: 10/30/2017 4:41:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Had mine last week.  Felt slightly sick the next day. Felt back to normal the following day. 
View Quote
That's normal.

It means your immune system is working.

I felt the same way after my DTAP vaccine.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 4:44:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I've never had a flu shot and I worked face to face with the public, sharing pens with every Sneezy, Wheezy, and Coughy who came in, handling money, etc. for 12 years and I've never had the flu.  

My 3 kids have never had a flu shot and have been in public school for 11 years.  One of them got the flu once.  Had a headache and a fever for a couple of days, the rest of us never got it.  

I don't get the people who say/think they get the flu all the time.  Statistically it doesn't add up.  For this month, 25,777 specimens for *flu like illness* have been tested and only 596 (2.3%) have been positive for the flu.    

I just don't buy that everyone is running around catching the flu.  It's likely a once-in-a-lifetime deal for most people.  
View Quote
It's like wearing your seat belt in a car.

It's another layer of safety.

You don't always wreck, but when you do, the seat belt may save your life.

For example, meningitis kills very few healthy aged people a year. Yet my friend died from the bacterial type when we were in college. A simple cheap shot (his parents had good insurance) would have prevented him from dying.

You don't always die from the flu, but for example, I had a friend in school that caught the flu and then due to the flu she developed Type I diabetes.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 4:51:19 PM EDT
[#47]
I got one about a month ago. Felt like crap the next day but was told that was normal. Now I have autism.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I got one about a month ago. Felt like crap the next day but was told that was normal. Now I have autism.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 4:56:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Did I make it in before autism?
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 5:02:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
First and last time I remember getting one was over 10 years ago.  I got sick as a result.  No thanks.
View Quote
The virus that is in the shot is dead, You probably got the flu that was NOT included in the strain released in said such needle.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top