Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/10/2017 10:59:33 PM EDT
https://www.wsj.com/articles/californias-breakup-with-the-nfl-1507650531?tesla=y

"StubHub Center is an apt name for the modest soccer stadium-turned NFL foster home for the Los Angeles Chargers. The tiny 27,000-seat stadium, named for a ticket-resale behemoth, has struggled to fill up for the country’s most popular sport.

In the Chargers’ first season back in L.A. after 56 years in San Diego, seats are noticeably empty at kickoff for home games. Many other seats are often filled by boisterous traveling fans of visitors like the Kansas City Chiefs. After a recent game against the Philadelphia Eagles, Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers said it didn’t feel like a home game.

Chargers fans knew that starting over in L.A. wasn’t going to be easy. “We’ve been moved from a city in San Diego that appreciated the team and the players,” said Chad Smith, a Chargers fan at a recent game here.

The Chargers aren’t alone in facing questions about their fan support. All four of California’s teams are struggling with identity crises.

While the Chargers struggle in the L.A. suburb of Carson, where they are domiciled until a permanent home is completed in 2020, the Los Angeles Rams, in their second season back in Southern California, have seen home attendance fall by more than 20,000 per game since last season.

In the Bay Area, the San Francisco 49ers offer fans the chance to wait in traffic, sit in uncomfortably hot seats and watch one of the worst teams around. The state’s most promising team on the field, the Oakland Raiders, is leaving soon after more than a half century in California for a glamorous new home in Las Vegas.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:11:51 PM EDT
[#1]
We have better shit to do.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:17:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Watching the shit-show the NFL has become......is more entertaining than the games.

Fuck the NFL.

I am cheering for the flaming death of the NFL with the same vigor that I previously expended on cheering for the Chargers.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:18:22 PM EDT
[#3]
BoooHooo
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:23:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow, 4 fucking teams in state with a lib population that doesnt give a shit about football or dropping a couple grand  to actually watch a game.

Im not a financial dude, but that looks thin to begin with.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:23:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Trump, my President 

4D chess that those dumbasses kneeing don't understand
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:23:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Being from Yuma I grew up a sorta-San Diego sports fan. It was close and in those days Arizona only had the Suns. For them to move the Chargers, where I saw my first NFL game, is sacrilege. I hope they fail in a Walter Mondale fashion. 
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:24:06 PM EDT
[#7]
They chose one hell of a time to fuck with their fans.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:24:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Reap what you sow
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:24:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Not surprising to me. I lived out there for a while. Everywhere I went, I met patriots, gun owners, hunters, etc.

They're outvoted by immigrants. Immigrants don't watch football.

Piss off conservatives, you won't see much difference in the polls in CA. But you'll damn sure see a difference in turnout for ball games.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:25:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Chargers have no fans... couple years ago i went to a chargers games because my steelers were in town.. San Diego that weekend looked like a Pittsburg home game!  Now add their "protest", NFL is lucky to have ANY fans left..

Proud to say I've been NFL for 2 solid weeks now finding so much to do around the house on sundays!
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:26:47 PM EDT
[#11]
There are many ways to "kneel".
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:27:09 PM EDT
[#12]
It is also noteworthy that hardly anyone cares enough to even comment in this thread.  People really are so weary of the crap from the NFL, that they don't even seem to want to take enough time to write nasty comments about them any more.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:29:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Small wonder, it must be miserable for the fans seated in some of those stadiums. Fans and players alike look like they are melting.

West Coast football was always a bad idea. Nobody travels really well for just one game. At least with baseball you play a few games before you have to travel again.

That and like another poster mentioned.....Mexicans don't do football.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:31:38 PM EDT
[#14]
It's expensive, our teams aren't that great (49ers are an embarrassment) plus all the kneeling bullshit.

Yeah not paying 1000 a ticket for that.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:38:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I have in-laws in CA.
Since I haven’t paid the slightest attention to pro football, I’d asked in what stadium the Chargers are playing.
I’d guessed either the Rose Bowl or Coliseum.

They told me ‘Home Depot Center’ (soccer stadium), and the place isn’t half full on game days.
I thought they were jerking my chain.  
Apparently not
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:39:38 PM EDT
[#16]
The Los Angeles San Diego Chargers stunt is bound to fail, just like the Los Angeles Oakland Raiders stunt failed.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:48:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I know some Cardinals season ticket holders.
They’ve told me that if this wasn’t Larry Fitzgerald’s last year, they wouldn’t go.

I’ve been offered tickets, and I’ve thanked them for the offer, but nope.
I don’t care who is retiring.  NEVER again.  
Not even with gift tickets
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:50:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Good.  I'd be happy to see the whole fucking shooting match go out of business.  

The NFL isn't doing anything good for this country.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:55:49 PM EDT
[#19]
All of the CA teams have basically said fuck you to there base, we returned the favor.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 12:14:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All of the CA teams have basically said fuck you to there base, we returned the favor.
View Quote
Perfect comment
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 12:41:59 AM EDT
[#21]
In other news.... The Knights are up 5-1 against the Coyotes in their first ever home game. 
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 1:30:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Small wonder, it must be miserable for the fans seated in some of those stadiums. Fans and players alike look like they are melting.

West Coast football was always a bad idea. Nobody travels really well for just one game. At least with baseball you play a few games before you have to travel again.

View Quote
LOL. You live in Virginia, I’d probably hold off on the wide spread generalizations of one of the largest states in the country. Sure, recent immigrants don’t watch football (for the most part) but if it wasn’t for Hispanics there wouldn’t even be any fans at the games. I live in one of the most conservative parts of California and it’s still 50% non-white. Things are just different here, lots of immigrants from all over the country that bring their team preferences with them. Hard to root for a team that has moved 2-3 times in the last 30 years. No way to build generational support. You only see that kind of support with teams like the dodgers (and raiders to a degree.) Disclaimer: I don’t really watch football except when my wife forces me to watch the packers.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 1:42:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Not surprising to me. I lived out there for a while. Everywhere I went, I met patriots, gun owners, hunters, etc.

They're outvoted by immigrants. Immigrants don't watch football.

Piss off conservatives, you won't see much difference in the polls in CA. But you'll damn sure see a difference in turnout for ball games.
View Quote
The other football. Soccer is popular in San Jose
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 1:49:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Trump, my President 

4D chess that those dumbasses kneeing don't understand
View Quote
NFL players are entertainers. Modern day highly paid gladiators. The patriotic mob who indirectly pays their salaries doesn't care about their pet political opinions or grievances. The mob just wants to eat, drink, relax and watch a game. If they wanted, the gladiators could take their millions and buy advertising to promote their ill defined cause. But they are too cheap to do that. They want free air time to protest what they cannot articulate. Dumb gladiators is what they are. Live by the sword. Die by the sword. Now kneel before your emperor. Hail Trump, your new Caesar!
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 1:53:28 AM EDT
[#25]
I’ve been a Chiefs fan for 25+ years. I’m done with the NFL, forever. This anthem protest bullshit is just the last straw. They’ve pissed me off with their going on strike, concussion bullshit, flags for hitting too hard, flags for excessive celebration, instant replay adding an hour to every game, etc etc. screw it, I’m done.

I figure the Chiefs will finally win the Super Bowl, I won’t be watching.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 2:00:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Chiefs can't win post season. Lin Elliott cursed them.

Kneeling transformed into arms linked and is now transforming into the Black Panther fist raised salute. That will go over well with the fans. I won't be renewing my season tickets next year.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 2:09:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Football will be dead in 15 years. With all the sicence on head injuries and parents not letting their kids participate in it, myself included. This whole fiasco will be will only hassen its demises.

Also, athletes are OVERRATED. They get to much credit for what they are. Always talking about how hard they work. Bullshit. 99.9% is God given talent. 1% is breathing, talking, and just staying alive.

Bunch of over paid man boys to stupid to know how bless they are and to dumb to stay out of trouble.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 2:40:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Football will be dead in 15 years. With all the sicence on head injuries and parents not letting their kids participate in it, myself included. This whole fiasco will be will only hassen its demises.

Also, athletes are OVERRATED. They get to much credit for what they are. Always talking about how hard they work. Bullshit. 99.9% is God given talent. 1% is breathing, talking, and just staying alive.

Bunch of over paid man boys to stupid to know how bless they are and to dumb to stay out of trouble.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 2:52:09 AM EDT
[#29]
My mother lives 2 blocks from that stadium. Parking is a fucking nightmare for people going to events at that venue.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 2:55:22 AM EDT
[#30]
The Chargers leaving san diego is DUMB. Bad move that pissed off their fan base in SD.
LA doesn't need two NFL teams, and cant support two.

Reminds me of the stupid Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 3:43:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
There are many ways to "kneel".
View Quote
Well said!!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 3:49:28 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm sure the liberals that are cheering player protests are going to pick up the viewership and attendance slack.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 5:00:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The Los Angeles San Diego Chargers stunt is bound to fail, just like the Los Angeles Oakland Raiders stunt failed.
View Quote
LA Raiders played in Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum seating 93,000.
NFL blackout rules required 85% of seats to be sold by Thursday before the game could be televised.
The Raiders fans base didn't get paid until Friday.

A bunch of us from work would drive down to San Diego to watch the game

Raiders list seven 90,000 crowds in the Los Angeles Coliseum.
They played to as few as 32,111--five weeks before they won Super Bowl XVIII--and 10,708, for the first "replacement" game during the 1987 strike...

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-03-13/sports/sp-263_1_raider-lose-year
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 5:08:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Wow, 4 fucking teams in state with a lib population that doesnt give a shit about football or dropping a couple grand  to actually watch a game.

Im not a financial dude, but that looks thin to begin with.
View Quote
Good point. A state with the population of Canada can’t even support a handful of teams.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 5:19:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of guys.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 5:52:43 AM EDT
[#36]
I won't be watching the Raiders when they make it here either.

FNFL
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:17:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:18:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The NFL sucks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is also noteworthy that hardly anyone cares enough to even comment in this thread.  People really are so weary of the crap from the NFL, that they don't even seem to want to take enough time to write nasty comments about them any more.
The NFL sucks!
Yeah, I never cared for it.  I do enjoy college ball, and if the NFL goes and nothing replaces it, college ball will likely go down as well.  Maybe not, but most likely, IMO.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:30:04 AM EDT
[#39]
After how the NFL treated us here in STL.  The political theater going on in it just added the exclamation point to "fuck the NFL!"  Used to be a thing where everyone could come together to enjoy a sport and forget our differences.  Now it's just another medium to jam politics down Americans throats.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:32:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Nothing new. Exact same reasons la rams v1.0 failed. Same reasons the la raiders went back to oakland. los angeles prefers to support rainbow warriors and kiddie diddlers, not pro football.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:39:08 AM EDT
[#41]
The kneeling debacle was the final straw for me, but even before that the NFL had been slowly turning into a shit show.  Between blackout rules, TV deals, moving of teams, dilution of the product, 4-hour games with constant interruption, constant tinkering with the rules, inconsistent officiating, and a general alienation of its core fan base, the NFL has presented a stunning example of how you run a wildly successful franchise into the ground.  I wonder if anyone will learn from it...
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:47:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Exactly. Both teams had solid, dedicated local fan bases and the NFL shit all over them. Even when the Raiders came back they never gained those old fans back, who felt betrayed.

The Chargers had a hell of a lot of local support and shit all over them as well. Why they think they can be successful in LA is beyond me.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:51:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
The opposite of love isn't hate it's ambivalence. 
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:53:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Their billion dollar stadium probably doesn't feature enough diversity and inclusion.

What California needs to do is build a two billion dollar stadium which will address the gender, sexual orientation, religious, cultural, gender-identity and marital status needs of their fanbase.  

Of course, it would also include a ban on Republicans.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:57:47 AM EDT
[#45]
As football dies in the high schools, so goes the NFL. Football fans are made in the high schools. All the kids sought to get on the team as a way to boost their social status and get girls.

Those days are going away. Now a kid can be just as popular being the on-line video game kingpin. No need to play real sports at all.

The boys don't want to play, the girls don't chase guys on the team, and no one is interested in watching the games unless it's their friends playing or the parents have a kid on the team.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 7:03:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Changing demographics in Commiefornia.

Also, people are tiring of the NFL's shit.

Its a bad combination.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 7:18:36 AM EDT
[#47]
CA hasn't had a team worth fucking watching in years....
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 7:32:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

¿Que?

Notice the respect for the anthem.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 7:33:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The kneeling debacle was the final straw for me, but even before that the NFL had been slowly turning into a shit show.  Between blackout rules, TV deals, moving of teams, dilution of the product, 4-hour games with constant interruption, constant tinkering with the rules, inconsistent officiating, and a general alienation of its core fan base, the NFL has presented a stunning example of how you run a wildly successful franchise into the ground.  I wonder if anyone will learn from it...
View Quote
Well said.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 7:36:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Reap what you sow
View Quote
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top