Saw this on fb. What do you all think?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Should be "purpose of seat belt *laws*"

Purpose of seat is pretty self-evident.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 4:56:03 PM EDT
[#2]
It's really sad that people are so retarded we need to make a law to get them to wear their seat belts.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 4:56:41 PM EDT
[#3]
They have a monopoly on violence.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Should be "purpose of seat belt *laws*"

Purpose of seat is pretty self-evident.
View Quote
Great point!  I'll edit the title
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 4:59:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Dumb.

I'd assume that playing "six degrees of fucking with the police" over anything will have an above 50% probability of turning out bad for you...
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 4:59:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's really sad that people are so retarded we need to make a law to get them to wear their seat belts.
View Quote
Nobody *needs* to make those laws. You don't want to wear them and prefer to take your own personal risk? Fine by me.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:00:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've recieved a ticket for not wearing a seat belt ...
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:02:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well, we really don’t need to.

Getting in Darwin’s way, that’s for sure.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#9]
When motorcycles have seatbelts
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nobody *needs* to make those laws. You don't want to wear them and prefer to take your own personal risk? Fine by me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Agreed. The right thing to do would be if the car companies took it upon themselves to make vehicles that won't operate without the seat belt engaged. Then people would have to pay with their wallet for being stupid because insurance likely wouldn't cover you if you did a work around to stock safety equipment.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:06:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's really sad that some people think making a law to protect dumb people from themselves is a good idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's really sad that some people think making a law to protect dumb people from themselves is a good idea.
I would say that because of seat belt laws, their use has become far more common. Lots of laws are bad laws, this one isn't terrible, especially for drivers that are underage (and typically even dumber than adults)
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:08:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

Can also keep you in your seat in an accident so that you can still control and apply brakes to the car to avoid hitting anyone if possible
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:09:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Insurance companies
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:11:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This.

Can also keep you in your seat in an accident so that you can still control and apply brakes to the car to avoid hitting anyone if possible
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

I make passengers in my vehicles wear their seat belts. One guy said he was fine with it if we got in an accident. I told him I didn't want his 200 lb carcass smashing into me multiple times if we rolled it over.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:13:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I’m fine with not having seatbelt laws so long as first responders note who wasn’t wearing one and people who weren’t wearing belts aren’t treated or transported until they prove their ability to pay for the treatment.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd be dead if it weren't for a seatbelt, but yeah it shouldn't be law.  If you want to play the odds and more likely die, great!  And of course getting ticketed from a bike cop for this just adds irony.   Now litterers, why don't we generate $ off these filthy heathens?
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

I agree.

People not wearing their seatbelt can hurt me and my family.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:30:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I imagine it’s so they don’t have to go looking for bodies. Keeping them strapped into the vehicle is pretty convenient.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Not a fan of seatbelt laws at all, my personal safety is my business. Requiring me to have minors in my vehicle belted? OK. I do wear mine usually now though after 2 seatbelt tickets (My only tickets in 16 years of driving)
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:34:34 PM EDT
[#21]
If your state wants Federal Highway Funding then you need a Seatbelt Law .
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Saw this on fb. What do you all think?
View Quote
The officer shouldn’t have made joinder with a soveign citizen.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:38:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Public service is required to respond to mva with injuries. These are undeniably higher when people dont wear restraints.

I will trade seatbelt laws if that means public service doesnt have to render aid to those injured not wearing one.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:51:31 PM EDT
[#24]
If all traffic infractions were changed where there is no monetary fine, instead jail time or community service were the only fine possible, would the frequency in traffic stops change?

It would be interesting to find out.

We sure have a butt load of laws in this 'free' country.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
But did you die?
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
When motorcycles have seatbelts
View Quote
Meh, the *ONLY* thing staying with a motorcycle in an accident will do for you is get you pinned under a 500lb, 400deg chunk of metal.

See those MotoGP guys bailing off their bikes when they know they've lost it?

You don't see F1 drivers clambering out of their cockpit while they're sliding into the wall.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I received a ticket for one after the cop watched me take it off when he told me to get my registration out of the glove box.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Seat belt laws are the biggest crock of shit ever. All they are are another excuse for you to get pulled over to see if they can catch you with anything else. States that don't require a helmet to ride a motorcycle but require a seat belt to ride in a vehicle. Yeah. They really care about our safety.

And no, I haven't gotten a seat belt ticket. I wear mine, just pisses me off the bull shit that gets passed to make the cities/states more money.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:02:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Am I being detained?
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Am I being restrained detained?
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:04:38 PM EDT
[#31]
You are an idiot if you dont use a seatbelt. I am sure plenty of 1st responders will vouch for this.

But i dont think we need laws to tell us this.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Public service is required to respond to mva with injuries. These are undeniably higher when people dont wear restraints.

I will trade seatbelt laws if that means public service doesnt have to render aid to those injured not wearing one.
View Quote
Public service is required to respond to shootings.These are undeniably higher when people have high capacity weapons.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:06:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

We sure have a butt load of laws in this 'free' country.
View Quote
This.

Laws,rules,regulations,taxes,fees,licenses,registrations,mandates,et cetera et cetera et fucking cetera............
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Some people are just stupid.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:08:05 PM EDT
[#35]
I know a guy who would have been killed if he was wearing his seat belt.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:08:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I received a ticket for one after the cop watched me take it off when he told me to get my registration out of the glove box.
View Quote
Same here.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:09:45 PM EDT
[#37]
There should be a law that you must chew your food completely before swallowing. This would reduce choking deaths.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:10:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Insurance companies
View Quote
This is the reason.
Everything else is rationalization.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:11:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
yeah, we should probably have someone from the government stop by and make sure you brush your teeth before bed.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
There should be a law that you must chew your food completely before swallowing. This would reduce choking deaths.
View Quote
If it saves just one life...............

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.It is the argument of tyrants,it is the creed of slaves.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:15:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I know a guy who would have been killed if he was wearing his seat belt.
View Quote
I'm sure you understand this proves absolutely nothing, because on the large scale seatbelts save more lives than they take. Whether or not there should be a law about it is a different subject.

I tend to think that as long as first responders are paid with tax money I don't really want my taxes spent saving your dumb ass for not wearing a seatbelt... I hate nanny state bullshit, but at the same time you're retarded if you don't wear a seatbelt.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Meh, the *ONLY* thing staying with a motorcycle in an accident will do for you is get you pinned under a 500lb, 400deg chunk of metal.

You don't see F1 drivers clambering out of their cockpit while they're sliding into the wall.
View Quote
da fuq does motogp have with Joe blow riding to the circle k to get a Powerball ticket?
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

da fuq does motogp have with Joe blow riding to the circle k to get a Powerball ticket?
View Quote
The point is that staying with the bike is more dangerous than getting away from it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:25:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Florida doesn't require helmets for motorcyclists.

Seat belt laws vs helmet laws.
What is your opinion on that?
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:28:47 PM EDT
[#45]
In CA that’s true.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:47:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Not a fan of seatbelt laws at all, my personal safety is my business. Requiring me to have minors in my vehicle belted? OK. I do wear mine usually now though after 2 seatbelt tickets (My only tickets in 16 years of driving)
View Quote
Secure your load includes you IMHO.  200 lbs of asshole flying at an innocent person or their property can mess stuff up.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:56:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same here.

I drive a 6000 lbs four-wheeled vehicle, surrounded by instantaneousy inflated airbags and I have to wear a fucking strap BY LAW, yet someone riding a 2-wheeled, less than 1000 lbs vehicle can do so in shorts, t-shirt and flip-flops and NO HELMET.

Helmets have been as proven to save lives as a seat belt, yet NOT all states mandate wearing them, yet EVERY state mandates using and wearing a fucking seat belt or you get a- very costly- ticket.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:03:43 PM EDT
[#48]
"Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me"*

*wears seatbelt, but not because the man says so
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:09:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
nails it.  

The number of people I have to TELL (not ask) to put their seatbelts on in my vehicle is amazing.  Im talking grown 40, 50 year old men who should know better.  They are more than welcome to do what they want in their vehicle, but my vehicle my rules and I don't want to have someones death or disability weighing on me if I were to get into an accident.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:10:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well, physics, mostly.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Florida doesn't require helmets for motorcyclists.

Seat belt laws vs helmet laws.
What is your opinion on that?
You should be free to wheelie your Hayabusa all the way to the Circle K, buck naked past the police without getting a second glance if you aren't hazarding other people.

I buckle my seatbelt in the driveway and won't wear anything less than a full face helmet on my bikes.

If an idea is actually a good idea, it doesn't need to be mandatory.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top