Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:14:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Until they force all motorcyclist to wear a fucking helmet and full reflective neon pink clothes - I wont be wearing a damn seat belt. The only reason for a seat belt law is revenue and to give a cop a reason to pull you in case he wishes to harass you; it is not for safety. The only reason we dont have helmet laws is senators dont want to wear the damn things and the cops can already see in the vehicle without a unconstitutional stop.

Tint your windows and dont wear the belt! Simple.

I have rolled up on a roll over far to many times just to see the drivers head smashed like a grape because the seat belt pinned their head between the seat and the roof. No thank you, I dont need big brother.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If your state wants Federal Highway Funding then you need a Seatbelt Law .
View Quote
Fuck that.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:21:50 PM EDT
[#3]
If i remember correctly when MI first passed the seat belt law, not wearing one could not be the reason you were pulled over. After a few years this obviously changed.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I received a ticket for one after the cop watched me take it off when he told me to get my registration out of the glove box.
View Quote
I did too.
NHP said I had to remain buckled unless I was asked to exit the vehicle.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:25:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Seatbelts keep your ass planted in the driver's seat during sudden maneuvers and crashes.  You can't control you vehicle well if you're sliding around or out of your seat.

Insurance is the main reason for the laws I'm sure.  In most (all?) states, everyone is required to carry automobile insurance (for good reason, IMO).  When someone dies in a crash because they were not wearing their seat belt, everyone's rates go up.  So really, it's not just about you when you don't wear your seat belt.  

That said, I'm still pretty indifferent on seatbelt laws.  They do undoubtedly save lives and prevent injury, it's pretty stupid to not wear them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:31:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I received a ticket for one after the cop watched me take it off when he told me to get my registration out of the glove box.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's really sad that people are so retarded we need to make a law to get them to wear their seat belts.
I've recieved a ticket for not wearing a seat belt ...
FFS...
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:33:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Until they force all motorcyclist to wear a fucking helmet and full reflective neon pink clothes - I wont be wearing a damn seat belt. The only reason for a seat belt law is revenue and to give a cop a reason to pull you in case he wishes to harass you; it is not for safety. The only reason we dont have helmet laws is senators dont want to wear the damn things and the cops can already see in the vehicle without a unconstitutional stop.

I have rolled up on a roll over far to many times just to see the drivers head smashed like a grape because the seat belt pinned their head between the seat and the roof. No thank you, I dont need big brother.
View Quote
https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/seatbelts/facts.html

Do what you want, but it seems unbelievably stupid to "prove a point" to the man by risking your life for absolutely ZERO reason. The man doesn't give a fuck if you live or die, and despite what you've seen the statistics show seatbelts save lives.

I'll continue to wear mine, not because anyone told me to, but because I like to be alive and I don't care to risk my life to prove a point nobody will get anyway.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#8]
the law's needed for stupid people, intelligent people realize wearing a seatbelt is a good thing. 
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:35:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
FFS...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's really sad that people are so retarded we need to make a law to get them to wear their seat belts.
I've recieved a ticket for not wearing a seat belt ...
FFS...
Fuck that in particular. Cop should be fired for that shit.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:39:01 PM EDT
[#10]
 The purpose is to save lives.......at least that's what all the signs on the interstate say.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:39:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Agreed. The right thing to do would be if the car companies took it upon themselves to make vehicles that won't operate without the seat belt engaged. Then people would have to pay with their wallet for being stupid because insurance likely wouldn't cover you if you did a work around to stock safety equipment.
View Quote
Ever ride in a Fury?

The one Dad drove had a buzzer that would go off if there was a weight on one of the front seats and no belt engaged.

These days sure cars have those ding ding ding bells, but they've got nothing on the annoyance factor of that buzzer.  ... Especially when I found out if I pressed on the middle seat hard enough I could set the buzzer off...
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:10:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
How about this for a reason to wear a seat belt.  You get into a crash your fault or not and launch your ass through the windshield...DRT.  in my state you just tied up 2 cops for a minimum of 3 hours doing the on scene investigation.  One of those 2 then spend the rest of their shift doing a fatal crash report. And another 2 cops to show up at your next of kin to do a death notification.  How's that for for not reaching over your shoulder and clicking something on.  

But oh I forgot your an internet tough guy.  Go back to eating your Cheetos in mom's basement and let the real adults talk.

Moral of the story wear your fucking seatbelt so myself or one of my friends don't have to scrape your dead ass off the road and tell someone your not coming home.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 2:51:09 AM EDT
[#14]
There was a case recently where a guy was ticketed for undoing his seatbelt at a red light to give some change to a homeless guy. Turns out, the "homeless guy" was a cop looking for "violations". It was for his own safety I guess...

IIRC, NH is the only state where seatbelt use is not required by law.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 3:04:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Derrick Thomas.

Made an impact for my seat belt usage.

Don't need more laws though.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 3:12:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why do you hate freedom bro.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 3:20:27 AM EDT
[#17]
to reduce the cost of scraping your butt off the road.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 3:27:05 AM EDT
[#18]
To collect money for the state.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 3:51:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I as well as the guy that hit me would be dead without seat belts. It was a high speed collision and I had to extract him from his vehicle as it burned. The first thing I do when I get a vehicle is put on the belt.

That said, I don't agree that it should be a law for adults.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 4:26:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Moral of the story wear your fucking seatbelt so myself or one of my friends don't have to scrape your dead ass off the road and tell someone your not coming home.
View Quote
^^^ This, I spent seven years cleaning up after dickwads who didn't wear their belts, am a office jock now but the teams I manage now do exactly what I used to do.

Yes, laws are in place to protect the stupid, the law of averages dictate that there are a great number of them, and many believe themselves to be smarter than what they actually are.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 4:42:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Click it or.....ticket..

Seems crystal clear on why the law exists
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:49:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
When motorcycles have seatbelts
View Quote
Or school busses.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:52:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Public service is required to respond to mva with injuries. These are undeniably higher when people dont wear restraints.

I will trade seatbelt laws if that means public service doesnt have to render aid to those injured not wearing one.
View Quote
Which is funny because the other day GD was in a huff over first responders complaining about dealing with junkies and ODs.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:52:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Window tint laws are yet another example of a bogus law written to give cops PC for a fishing trip.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:56:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Fuck that in particular. Cop should be fired for that shit.
View Quote
I have heard of it happening a few times with people I know. Seems fairly common.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:03:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Nobody *needs* to make those laws. You don't want to wear them and prefer to take your own personal risk? Fine by me.
View Quote
This ^^^..... Seat belt laws are about one thing...a concerted effort to reduce Ins. co. liability & payouts.

Why do you think helmet laws aren't mandatory for motorcycles ?? 'Cause a funeral is cheaper to pay for than long term medical care after a bike wreck, on everybody. Gov.t doesn't worry about cyclist applying for SSD since being fucked up in the wreck, Ins. pays out a one-time negotiable death settlement instead of huge lifetime payout for injuries. If biker fucks up and it's one party wreck they don't payout much as it it rolls over to life ins. at that point.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:05:36 AM EDT
[#29]
And here I thought it was a compromise that kept the car companies from having to put air bags in cars for a couple of years. 
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:09:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Seat belt laws are the biggest crock of shit ever. All they are are another excuse for you to get pulled over to see if they can catch you with anything else. States that don't require a helmet to ride a motorcycle but require a seat belt to ride in a vehicle. Yeah. They really care about our safety.

And no, I haven't gotten a seat belt ticket. I wear mine, just pisses me off the bull shit that gets passed to make the cities/states more money.
View Quote
100% this.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This.

Can also keep you in your seat in an accident so that you can still control and apply brakes to the car to avoid hitting anyone if possible
View Quote
Bullshit...explain to the class how you maintain control of the vehicle when your input (contact patch of tires) for said control is no longer applicable since after impact the car is being directed by sheer brute physical force in a direction you can't discern until the spinning stops and your brain can process what the hell is happening.

Bottom line: in the seconds after impact you're not controlling a damned thing, you're just along for the ride at that point.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:10:38 AM EDT
[#32]
I have first hand experience of why there are seat belt laws.  Bear with me please.

1.  Generally speaking, a person has a higher chance of surviving a crash when they are wearing their seat belt.

2.  The seat belt law has nothing to do with just saving lives.

In a normal crash, injuries but no deaths, police and first responders show up.  An ambulance might take away an injured driver, the police officer will take information, maybe get measurements, and try to get driver statements.  Usually 30 minutes from start to finish with clearing a crash.

In a fatal car collision, blood needs to be drawn from every involved driver, highway shutdown and traffic diverted, exact measurements of the roadway, vehicles, skid marks, etc. must be taken and documented, pictures taken in a certain way must be taken and logged, death notifications, nothing at all can be moved until every single thing is documented, and the list goes on and on.  A fatal collision will normally take 12 to 24 hours to fully process, and there needs to be about 4 times the amount of LEOs and first responders on scene.

So the real reason is, wearing your seatbelt, you survived, the crash takes about 2 hours of total man-hours from all involved first responders (30 minutes each, cop, tow truck, ambulance, fire dept).  You don't wear your seatbelt, you die due to your own negligence, you are now going to take HUNDREDS of man hours to clear the crash.  12-24 hrs for the cop to document and do reports, hours upon hours each for the tow truck drivers, other LEOs to do death notifications, ambulances, nurses at the hospital, personnel at the mortuary, assisting LEOs to block traffic, the list continues, you get the idea.

If you just can't be bothered to wear your seatbelt, then your chances of death increase if involved in a collision.  Your negligence can turn a 30 minute crash into an all day / all night ordeal and that also reduces the amount of police and first responders available to take other calls.  Seat belt fines are a deterrent to get people to wear them to reduce the number of fatal collisions to have to work.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:15:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This.

Laws,rules,regulations,taxes,fees,licenses,registrations,mandates,et cetera et cetera et fucking cetera............
View Quote
Eventually we will have to change the country's motto to " Land of the FEE, and the home of the SLAVE"...
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

How about this for a reason to wear a seat belt.  You get into a crash your fault or not and launch your ass through the windshield...DRT.  in my state you just tied up 2 cops for a minimum of 3 hours doing the on scene investigation.  One of those 2 then spend the rest of their shift doing a fatal crash report. And another 2 cops to show up at your next of kin to do a death notification.  How's that for for not reaching over your shoulder and clicking something on.  

But oh I forgot your an internet tough guy.  Go back to eating your Cheetos in mom's basement and let the real adults talk.

View Quote
So you're uncomfortable about certain aspects of your job ??...Then quit your hall monitor job and find something else that's more agreeable to you. No one has a gun to your head making you stay there... Don't whine about it here.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:25:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Revenue and probable cause.

Likewise with cellphone laws. It is now to the point where looking down while stopped at a red light is PC for a traffic stop.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:25:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:28:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
the law's needed for stupid people, intelligent people realize wearing a seatbelt is a good thing. 
View Quote
No doubt ... as evidenced by some of the idiots responding here.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:29:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

So you're uncomfortable about certain aspects of your job ??...Then quit your hall monitor job and find something else that's more agreeable to you. No one has a gun to your head making you stay there... Don't whine about it here.
View Quote
He never said he wasn't comfortable with it.  Did you even read the post?  It's similar to mine.  It ties up LEO and first responders from taking other calls for hours upon hours because someone couldn't take 2 seconds out of their busy schedule to click their seat belt.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:30:26 AM EDT
[#39]
100% agree with the sentiment of OP's meme. Same logic can also be applied to drug laws and to the impending bump stock legislation.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:33:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:34:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Agreed. The right thing to do would be if the car companies took it upon themselves to make vehicles that won't operate without the seat belt engaged. Then people would have to pay with their wallet for being stupid because insurance likely wouldn't cover you if you did a work around to stock safety equipment.
View Quote
I am actually surprised that the car makers haven't gone that route yet...

Your seatbelt has to be both stretched or unrolled from its spool AND clicked into its "socket" before the car's computer will allow you to start it.

A seatbelt interlock if you will.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:34:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This.

Can also keep you in your seat in an accident so that you can still control and apply brakes to the car to avoid hitting anyone if possible
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

^this.

I want your passengers belted in so that when you lose control of your car they don't fly around and interfere with your ability to regain control of the vehicle.

I want you belted in so that you can maintain/regain control of your vehicle after a sudden and unexpected high-g-force event.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:36:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

He never said he wasn't comfortable with it.  Did you even read the post, it's similar to mine.  It ties up LEO and first responders from taking other calls for hours upon hours because someone couldn't take 2 seconds out of their busy schedule to click their seat belt.
View Quote
I read and understand the post. It's clear he doesn't like that aspect of the duty and would rather not have to perform it. Like it or not that's part of the job YOU signed on for. Whether or not it takes 30 mins. or 30 hrs. is of no concern. I'm not in favor of trading personal liberty to ease the state's obligations. Adults have already had parents and don't need you or your agency playing mommy to them. Their life, their choice in how they live it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#46]
It's not a primary violation in PA so you can't be stopped for not wearing your seat belt alone. I really don't care if you don't wear it, but I've seen plenty of accidents that would people would have likely walked away from with minor injuries turn into major injuries and even fatal accidents.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:39:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Florida doesn't require helmets for motorcyclists.

Seat belt laws vs helmet laws.
What is your opinion on that?
View Quote
They both serve the exact same purpose. To reduce the cost of treating injuries of those in accidents. If your wearing a seatbelt you are much less likely to be injured at all in an accident. If your on a bike and crash with no helmet, it's a lot more likely all your going to need is a box instead of hospital.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:41:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I am actually surprised that the car makers haven't gone that route yet...

Your seatbelt has to be both stretched or unrolled from its spool AND clicked into its "socket" before the car's computer will allow you to start it.

A seatbelt interlock if you will.
View Quote
Pull belt out, secure it to housing with sheetmetal screw. Cut buckle from belt and place in latch. Problem solved. Or construct simple circuit to create same electrical values to ECM, install upstream on seatbelt assembly.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:43:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
Seems like it would be a self correcting problem for those who don't want to wear one and get wrecked and ejected from their vehicle.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:43:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It's really sad that some people think making a law to protect dumb people from themselves is a good idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's really sad that some people think making a law to protect dumb people from themselves is a good idea.
Ain't it tho..
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top