Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/25/2017 2:21:16 PM EDT
Seen a lot of debate in the media, on line and even here about the professional athletes exercising their 'first amendment right' to protest the anthem.

Curious to see people's opinion on the issue...
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:25:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe. But the NFL could tell the players to SHUDDAP!!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:26:45 PM EDT
[#2]
The constitution lists things that the government can't take away like freedom of speech.  However, if I go to work and say a bunch of stuff they don't like I can be fired.  The field is their Job.  They should do their job while at work.  Just my $0.02
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:27:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:28:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The constitution lists things that the government can't take away like freedom of speech.  However, if I go to work and say a bunch of stuff they don't like I can be fired.  The field is their Job.  They should do their job while at work.  Just my $0.02
View Quote
I'm going with this as the right answer.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:29:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Sure they have right to protest but everyone else also has right to criticize them and stop watching or doing business with them.

It's funny when the protestors get offended because others find their actions offensive...the irony is rich...

Those NFL idiots think they are immune to holding the same stadards the rest of us are held to.  If we started protesting at work and pissed off half our company's customers we would all be fired!
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:30:56 PM EDT
[#6]
You're free to protest anything you want.  You just can't do it in your workplace.  Employers can set reasonable standards for that sort of thing.  At the end of the day, the players are simply employees.  

One of the oddities of this situation is there is an NFL rule that says players have to stand for the anthem.  At least according to Facebook.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:31:56 PM EDT
[#7]
they have the right to kneel, their owners have the right to fire them, and I have the right to stop watching.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:32:28 PM EDT
[#8]
It is covered by the first amendment. However, every employer has a right to set their own code of conduct. That includes banning certain actions that could be considered political in nature, disruptive to good order and discipline, as well as negatively impact the business.  ex. If you want to protest something...do it on your own dime...not while you're on the clock.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#9]
No it isnt and anyone who says it is has a critical lack of understanding of both our constitution and the rights of businesses and therefore has no business speaking on the matter at all.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:35:00 PM EDT
[#10]
How many people have been fired because of a twitter, facebook social media post that their company decided was inconsistent with their own message and strategy?  LOTS.  This is no different.

The First Amendment only applies to the relationship between the government and the citizen, and limits what the government can and cannot do with regards to speech.  It has zero bearing on what two individuals and/or companies decide between themselves in a contract.  IF the contract says "in exchange for monetary compensation (your job), you will NOT speak ill of the company in any capacity.  Violation will result in disciplinary action, up to and including termination", that is perfectly legal.  These players have agreed to a "code of conduct" as part of their contract, so if the team and/or league decided to ENFORCE that code of conduct, they'd be within their rights.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:35:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Not while they are on the clock.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Exactly.

They're employees of a private company. This isn't the government telling them they can't protests on their own time, this is them choosing to be asshats on company time. If they want to get together for a players march on their own time they should be able too, with no repercussions from their employers, but when you're working do what the boss tells you or you can be fired.

None of those hypocrites were bitching when the IRS was targeting conservatives, which is actual retaliation by the government for protected speech.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:39:58 PM EDT
[#13]
So, if some asshat stands in your living room and takes a position that you don't share and you put him to the curb, have you infringed on his 1ST Amendment rights? They want to make this a 1ST Amendment issue when it isn't, and the only time we see them in public other than at a game is for some BS in their lives like booking photos, dog fighting, wife/other beating, etc.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:41:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
they have the right to kneel, their owners have the right to fire them, and I have the right to stop watching.
View Quote
This is my sentiment too.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:50:18 PM EDT
[#15]
It is.

They have voiced their hatred for the U.S. and their employer allows them to do it on company time. They both have a 1A Right to do this and the .gov couldn't and shouldn't' do anything about it.

However, I ALSO have a 1A Right and exercise it buy refusing to patron their business or buy their sanctioned products. I hope they all go broke (well they all go broke anyway because they are stupid jocks).
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It is covered by the first amendment. However, every employer has a right to set their own code of conduct. That includes banning certain actions that could be considered political in nature, disruptive to good order and discipline, as well as negatively impact the business.  ex. If you want to protest something...do it on your own dime...not while you're on the clock.
View Quote
No Sir, it is not....   

The amendments in the BOR are simply constraints on the federal government.   

The NFL is not the federal government, therefore the amendments do not apply.   

The NFL owns the system (as well as their players contract) and can demand behavior that is not otherwise illegal (such as respect for the flag, or no sack dancing).   

The players are free to sack dance also, they simply choose not to because of the fear of punishment.  

This is not governmental, these clowns are not protected from their employer's retribution by the BOR.  They are constrained only by the NFL's rules.   
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:55:47 PM EDT
[#17]
If they want to protest they can Quit.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:56:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
No it isnt and anyone who says it is has a critical lack of understanding of both our constitution and the rights of businesses and therefore has no business speaking on the matter at all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
What does that have to do with the question at hand?  These people have the right to protest their heart away...right to the unemployment line (if their employer has a problem with it).

Quoted:

No Sir, it is not....  

The amendments in the BOR are simply constraints on the federal government.  

The NFL is not the federal government, therefore the amendments do not apply.  

The NFL owns the system (as well as their players contract) and can demand behavior that is not otherwise illegal (such as respect for the flag, or no sack dancing).  

The players are free to sack dance also, they simply choose not to because of the fear of punishment.  

This is not governmental, these clowns are not protected from their employer's retribution by the BOR.  They are constrained only by the NFL's rules.  
They are not, which I believe I covered in the rest of my post.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:57:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
this is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:59:02 PM EDT
[#20]
The crybulliesget to kneel.
I get to say "FUCK FOOTBALL" and stop all manner of involvement.
If more people follow me, the NFL, colleges, and Texas high schools will pay a price.
Add to it jellybrains and their class actio against the league...
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:59:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:00:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Who is the target here and where is this coming from?

Did one of these American-haiting special snowflakes wake up one day and say, "I think I'll protest the National Anthem because I'm a spineless maggot."

No.  They were agitated.

"Amerikanski Yankees claim justice for all, but your multi-million salary aside, land is not free, da comrade?"

Mental midget, spineless weenie hears this, and is motivated to make a publicity stunt out of it.

If they don't like it here, they can leave.  Go experience other countries where you literally have no rights at all.

Then get back to me with your petty grievances.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:01:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Not while they are on the clock.
View Quote
The clock has nothing to do with whether it's a 1st amendment issue.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:03:47 PM EDT
[#24]
I can't goto my job and carry around "Vote For Trump" or "Vote for Hillary" signs.

Technically these guys punched in, on the "clock".
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:06:41 PM EDT
[#25]
People say the N word is offensive and should be  eliminated from our language, as they are so rightfully OFFENDED by the words. I feel the same offense  when people shit on our flag and National anthem...
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:08:59 PM EDT
[#26]
This is worse than giving a "Google, it's a motherfucker" answer.

The Ten Amendments, the First Amendment, it's a motherfucker.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

It really is that simple.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:10:11 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't know and I don't care.

The only sport I care about is baseball, and after some reflection I decided that I am not going to give up baseball or being a Tigers fan if they all start kneeling for the national anthem. If I boycotted every entertainment entity that did shit I don't agree with then I'd be bored.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Their boss condones it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:12:51 PM EDT
[#29]
No.  1st amendment doesn't protect you from doing shit while at work or suffering the consequences from the rest of the publics opinions.  If I did the same shit at work, protesting something that had nothing to do with my job while on the clock and bringing a negative light to my employer I'd be written up and/or fired.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#30]
If they want to protest while at work, go for it.

But, they need to remember that actions have consequences.

The Dixie Cunts found that out.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:13:42 PM EDT
[#31]
It's a private business' issue.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:15:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
This seems to cover it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:15:38 PM EDT
[#33]
It could be, if it wasn't already agreed upon in their contracts.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
So you would mean that this is freedom of speech, but the player's are subject to discipline by their employer.
I would agree.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:17:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, this is my point of view.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:17:53 PM EDT
[#36]
When I'm at work, I represent my employer.
I don't get paid to express my personal views, and would expect to be fired for doing so.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It could be, if it wasn't already agreed upon in their contracts.
View Quote
No, it really couldn't.   Unless they're being threatened with arrest or other punishment by the government, it will never be a 1st amendment issue.   Period. Full stop.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:18:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Seen a lot of debate in the media, on line and even here about the professional athletes exercising their 'first amendment right' to protest the anthem.

Curious to see people's opinion on the issue...
View Quote

In this thread we see who actually has read the Constitution, and specifically the Bill of Rights.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:18:34 PM EDT
[#39]
This really shouldn't be confusing at all.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:20:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same here. The league is not just allowing, but encouraging behavior that pisses off their fans. The NFL and owners could simply update their players' code of conduct, if they wished to. You wear the uniform, you represent the team. You piss off your fans while wearing the uniform, you cost the team. Buh-bye.

Of course, the NFL will do nothing but continue to swirl the drain.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:23:18 PM EDT
[#41]
They can on their free time.  What they do on the field/clock is subject to the rules imposed by their employer.

If their employer want to allow their employees to disrespect the country, then the fans need to make their opinions known with their wallets.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:26:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:29:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
They can on their free time.  What they do on the field/clock is subject to the rules imposed by their employer.

If their employer want to allow their employees to disrespect the country, then the fans need to make their opinions known with their wallets.
View Quote
What does any of the above have to do with the 1st amendment?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Yes but only with regards to government preventing the speech in question.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:32:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Who are the 28 people who don't understand the First Amendment of the Constitution?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:37:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Your first amendment is protected against Goverment limitations, not against market limitations.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:42:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

No, it really couldn't.   Unless they're being threatened with arrest or other punishment by the government, it will never be a 1st amendment issue.   Period. Full stop.
View Quote
Can a private business refuse to hire Jews?  Or Muslims?  Or Christians?  Why or why not?

Hint:  1A applies to private industry, too.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:43:27 PM EDT
[#48]
The government is not infringing on their right to do anything.  Certain players have chosen to make political statements at work and their various bosses - Coach, Owner, Commissioner, have chosen to allow it.  Pretty simple.

Other stakeholders like the fans or sponsors may choose to treat them differently and again that is their decision to make.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:48:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Can a private business refuse to hire Jews?  Or Muslims?  Or Christians?  Why or why not?

View Quote
No, it doesn't.

The things you mention are illegal, but not because of 1st amendment.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:51:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lol, no.  

Hint: You have no idea what you're talking about.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top