BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 105
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:54:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By OilfieldTrash78:
How does that code work if you can't order it online?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By planemaker:

47344769 gives you 50 bux off. That's the only one I've seen and it appears to work.
How does that code work if you can't order it online?
Eh? I went to the HF web site and it was on the front page. Added it to my cart, put in the coupon code, and it gave 50 bux off. Did that right before I posted. Are they out of stock on-line now? Dang, you guys are fast!
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:00:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Eh? I went to the HF web site and it was on the front page. Added it to my cart, put in the coupon code, and it gave 50 bux off. Did that right before I posted. Are they out of stock on-line now? Dang, you guys are fast!
View Quote

It says it will be available through the website in November.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:09:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoseCuervo] [#3]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/315898/IMG_2325-307074.JPG
View All Quotes

Maybe a preorder deal?  I wonder if you get charged now on your card.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:12:00 PM EDT
[#4]
The 3500 one looks good. Would look better under $500.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:12:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: planemaker] [#5]

View Quote
Interesting. I didn't notice that. It let me go thru the whole order thing up to putting in my payment info. Maybe they turned it on early due to the hurricanes?

ETA: It asked me for a zip code to calculate shipping as well. The shipping it quoted was like $6.99. Maybe they ship it to the closest store? That doesn't make any sense.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:18:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoseCuervo] [#6]
Question!  I saw this noted in the reviews, can anyone clarify what he made / means?

View Quote
Here is his full review:

View Quote
Thanks

Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:22:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoseCuervo] [#7]

Interesting. I didn't notice that. It let me go thru the whole order thing up to putting in my payment info. Maybe they turned it on early due to the hurricanes?

ETA: It asked me for a zip code to calculate shipping as well. The shipping it quoted was like $6.99. Maybe they ship it to the closest store? That doesn't make any sense.
View Quote
My order has shipping for the same price, to work (business / loading dock in a business district). For the $7 I'll grab it at work (assuming a delivery at that price) and load it in my car versus going to the store, lugging / carting it to the counter and then going through any potential coupon issues with the clerk, not to mention another loading to the car and traffic, straight up.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:22:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shrimpmoney] [#8]
Originally Posted By JoseCuervo:
Question!  I saw this noted in the reviews, can anyone clarify what he made / means?

Here is his full review:

Thanks

View Quote
Sure, take an extension cord, cut off the female end, and wire in an male end, plug it into the wall. It's dangerous as fuck, and how linemen get killed because of dumb shit like that. It's called back feeding.

The correct way is to install a transfer switch, or you can install a mechanical block off called an Interlock kit. It will block you from being able to flip on the main breaker for the panel, if you're using the generator to power the house through an empty slot located at the top of your panel. With the interlock kit, if the breaker slot you're using is on, and powering the panel, you cannot flip on the main breaker. It's one or the other.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:23:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Here is his full review:

Thanks

View All Quotes

I made my own backfeed cord powered everything in my home no problems except ac.
Here is his full review:

Like all Harbor Freight tools some are hit and miss. I purchased a 4000 watt Predator Generator about 4 months back and here in the midwest weather is also hit and miss. This last winter a nice little Ice snow and ice storm we lost power for about 10 hours and 15 degrees out it was very fun! I said never again. I purchased the 4000w shortly after that and soon enough we lost power over a bad storm, all and all paid for itself with the first outage. I made my own backfeed cord powered everything in my home no problems except ac. So based on the experience I decided to go for this new model from the old one. I got it for 399.99 with a coupon. I came home rechecked all hardware, fittings and connectors inside and out. Filled it with full synthetic Pennzoil 10w-30. Filled it with 89 octane fuel with Stabilizer. Started first pull, followed instruction on start procedure. I let it break in for about 10 min plugged in a heat gun 1000w and barely made a noticeable difference. Shut it down after about 15 min of running and let it cool and started again half way thru first pull. I plan on using it primarily for the RC plane field to charge batteries and maybe run other stuff at field where we have no power.
Thanks

Google suicide cord. Bad idea if you don't cut the mains, unless you want to kill a lineman.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:25:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Shrimp and Undefined, edited.

Yikes!
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:28:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Dominion21:

Is there a propane/dual fuel version?  Conversion possible?
View Quote
I haven't found a thing about converting these since my attention was aroused by this thread. Being able to do propane would be nice.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:36:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Has anyone actually ordered the 3500 with the coupon code, and gotten order confirmation?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:41:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By shrimpmoney:

The correct way is to install a transfer switch, or you can install a mechanical block off called an Interlock kit. It will block you from being able to flip on the main breaker for the panel, if you're using the generator to power the house through an empty slot located at the top of your panel. With the interlock kit, if the breaker slot you're using is on, and powering the panel, you cannot flip on the main breaker. It's one or the other.
View Quote
Shrimpmoney,

Am I correctly interpreting this comment that with the proper equipment I could plug the HF Predator into my house directly and get a lot of things (within the capabilities of the genny) powered up, just like that?

Can you provide a link? That would be the shit. I have several electrical contractor buddies, if I could buy the kit, RTG, I would be all over that. Sounds fucking awesome, which means I am reading that wrong.

Again,

Thanks-
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:43:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Has anyone actually ordered the 3500 with the coupon code, and gotten order confirmation?
View Quote
They had the 3500 in stock at the stores. If you have a coupon code just bring it in the store. Always worked for me. Or screen shot it in your car with the discount and they'll figure out how to add it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:48:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's a video I took tonight.

Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:48:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Shrimpmoney,

Am I correctly interpreting this comment that with the proper equipment I could plug the HF Predator into my house directly and get a lot of things (within the capabilities of the genny) powered up, just like that?

Can you provide a link? That would be the shit. I have several electrical contractor buddies, if I could buy the kit, RTG, I would be all over that. Sounds fucking awesome, which means I am reading that wrong.

Again,

Thanks-
View Quote
Yes. With a transfer switch, you're limited to 6, 8, 10, breakers that you can power up. So you have to choose which areas of your house you'll most likely need to use.

With an interlock kit, about $40-$70, it takes up two spots on your electrical panel. It'll have to be the ones at the top, so it can block off the main breaker. You can flip on any breaker controlling any area of the house you want,up to the limit of what your generator can handle of course.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:52:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By saturnsport8k:

https://i.imgur.com/pVYvvYL.jpg
View Quote
If anyone wants to see the whole series, it's here.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:57:26 PM EDT
[#18]
tagging
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:58:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Think I'm going to pick one up next year for the cabin.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:58:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes. With a transfer switch, you're limited to 6, 8, 10, breakers that you can power up. So you have to choose which areas of your house you'll most likely need to use.

With an interlock kit, about $40-$70, it takes up two spots on your electrical panel. It'll have to be the ones at the top, so it can block off the main breaker. You can flip on any breaker controlling any area of the house you want,up to the limit of what your generator can handle of course.
View All Quotes

Shrimpmoney,

Again,

Thanks-

I was under the impression you can only power your whole panel with a two-slot interlock breaker if your generator is 240v / 120v split phase capable, like the panel is typically fed with. With only a single hot I thought you'd only get every other breaker in the panel live, and obviously no 240v stuff, correct? Also, do any of the HF units even offer 240v / 120v split phase capability? I thought that was typically only offered on "large" residential units like when you start getting up to the 6kW+ range.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:02:40 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote
Thanks. You could actually plug the genny into the panel directly, like with a fat cord? Any links? I know you can do anything with the right cash. This sounds like a great business oportunity to me after what has happened.. For "X" dollars you are never SOL. Plug this extension cord onto that, flip that switch, pull this cord, go inside and grab a beer. 

Thanks, great thread considering. 
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:13:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By AKCory762:
Here's a video I took tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtmKlHTlaEc
View Quote
Thanks for following up with the video. Very comparable to a Honda. Might even be a tad bit quieter.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:15:28 AM EDT
[#23]
When Harvey our house was without power for almost 3 days....borrowed my dads Lincoln Generator/Welder 8,000watt for about 4 hours to recharg 2 fridge/freezers...then neighbor lent me his Honda 2000 the next day for a few to do the same.

He had a INVERTER ONLY setup with 5,000 watts.....hooked it up to his truck with jumper cables and was running in minutes....I see them on ebay if anyone is interested....

Now to figure out how many watts to start and run my ac system.....that's the biggest concern when the power goes out from a storm here in Texas as it gets fucking hot.

There's also another brand of Inverter(generator) like these from Harbor Freight on ebay for around $350 shipped on ebay with 2,200 watts...yeah i know...take your chances but figured i'd mention it.
Quip-All 2200
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:16:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By astro_wanabe:
I was under the impression you can only power your whole panel with a two-slot interlock breaker if your generator is 240v / 120v split phase capable, like the panel is typically fed with. With only a single hot I thought you'd only get every other breaker in the panel live, and obviously no 240v stuff, correct? Also, do any of the HF units even offer 240v / 120v split phase capability? I thought that was typically only offered on "large" residential units like when you start getting up to the 6kW+ range.
View All Quotes

Shrimpmoney,

Again,

Thanks-

You can feed both sides of the panel if you bridge the two sides of the 240 in your plug from generator to generator input that goes to the interlocked breaker.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:26:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Has anyone taken these apart yet? There's a reason the Honda is so much now and it's not because of the name, completely anyway.

All the cheaper generators come with shitty inverter units that go bad quickly. I had two Generac inverter gens die in the last 3 years.

YMMV...I'll pay $300 more for a Honda with a 3-year warranty at Northern Tool.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:57:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:

You can feed both sides of the panel if you bridge the two sides of the 240 in your plug from generator to generator input that goes to the interlocked breaker.
View Quote
Ok I see what you mean. You'd be able to power all the 120v stuff, but wouldn't be able to run 240v stuff (unless you somehow invert the phasing 180 degrees on one of the feeds). I guess you probably wouldn't damage any 240v stuff if you accidentally tried turning it on since it would just see the same phase on both legs, and any part of the device that took a leg to neutral to run a 120v component would see normal power. Meaning I guess the controls might activate IF they run leg to neutral, but the motor / heating element / whatever that uses the 240v would just sit there doing nothing as there would be no potential from leg to leg.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:07:42 AM EDT
[#27]

Thanks. You could actually plug the genny into the panel directly, like with a fat cord? Any links? I know you can do anything with the right cash. This sounds like a great business oportunity to me after what has happened.. For "X" dollars you are never SOL. Plug this extension cord onto that, flip that switch, pull this cord, go inside and grab a beer. 

Thanks, great thread considering. 
View Quote
Generally on such an installation the "plug into the panel" part is done by having a MALE wall-mounted plug on the outside of your house in a weather-resistant enclosure, and you would run a typical RV style (depending on the plug style / size that's appropriate for your load) extension cord from the wall to your generator. The wall plug is male so that you don't have to use a male-male "suicide cord" as they are something that should never, ever be made or used. You don't literally plug into the panel.

It also requires permanent installation of a sliding sheet metal plate (the interlock that prevents the generator input and main power line input from being connected at the same time), a breaker, and probably moving whatever breaker(s) are at the top of your panel currently.

Just google / youtube some combination of generator, breaker panel, and interlock and you'll find plenty of demo installation videos. You'll need a kit with a plate designed to fit the style of whatever make / model distribution panel you have, and I suppose your local electrical code / homeowner's insurance may want you to use one that is UL listed.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:20:56 AM EDT
[#28]

Generally on such an installation the "plug into the panel" part is done by having a MALE wall-mounted plug on the outside of your house in a weather-resistant enclosure, and you would run a typical RV style (depending on the plug style / size that's appropriate for your load) extension cord from the wall to your generator. The wall plug is male so that you don't have to use a male-male "suicide cord" as they are something that should never, ever be made or used. You don't literally plug into the panel.

It also requires permanent installation of a sliding sheet metal plate (the interlock that prevents the generator input and main power line input from being connected at the same time), a breaker, and probably moving whatever breaker(s) are at the top of your panel currently.

Just google / youtube some combination of generator, breaker panel, and interlock and you'll find plenty of demo installation videos. You'll need a kit with a plate designed to fit the style of whatever make / model distribution panel you have, and I suppose your local electrical code / homeowner's insurance may want you to use one that is UL listed.
View Quote
Thanks.   I want a link to either a kit to buy to have installed or a website for a complete installed system. Am I the only one who sees a market here? 

Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:32:09 AM EDT
[#29]

Thanks.   I want a link to either a kit to buy to have installed or a website for a complete installed system. Am I the only one who sees a market here? 

View Quote
Have fun: https://www.interlockkit.com/

Generally "kits" are just the make / model of distribution panel specific parts - interlock plate, mounting screws, warning stickers, etc. The breaker and all hardware outside the panel - external male wall mounted plug, weather resistant enclosure, conduit, cable - are generally sold separately and partially installation specific as to length of conduit / cable and load expectations (breaker / plug / wire sizing).
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:33:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Ok I see what you mean. You'd be able to power all the 120v stuff, but wouldn't be able to run 240v stuff (unless you somehow invert the phasing 180 degrees on one of the feeds). I guess you probably wouldn't damage any 240v stuff if you accidentally tried turning it on since it would just see the same phase on both legs, and any part of the device that took a leg to neutral to run a 120v component would see normal power. Meaning I guess the controls might activate IF they run leg to neutral, but the motor / heating element / whatever that uses the 240v would just sit there doing nothing as there would be no potential from leg to leg.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gamma762:

Correct. Also just had a thread discussing it:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/SAFELY-power-both-legs-with-a-120V-generator-/17-690289/
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:00:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Tag
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:53:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Strikeforces:
He had a INVERTER ONLY setup with 5,000 watts.....hooked it up to his truck with jumper cables and was running in minutes
View Quote
5,000 watts is around 42 amps at 120 VAC - Or around 420 amps at 12 VDC.

The average truck alternator isn't capable of supplying anywhere near 420 amps at 12 volts - And any current that the alternator couldn't supply would have to come from the truck battery instead.

So, your neighbor's inverter might have been capable of supplying 5,000 watts - but only for the several minutes it would have taken to completely discharge the truck battery.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:38:06 AM EDT
[#33]
I have a regular generator with 9000 running watts.  I have to keep reminding myself, I have never had to use it for an outage, but if I do, I won't really be too worried about the neighbors.  I don't need to spend 700 bucks on another, quieter generator, that I probably won't need for years, if at all.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:59:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Skibane:

5,000 watts is around 42 amps at 120 VAC - Or around 420 amps at 12 VDC.

The average truck alternator isn't capable of supplying anywhere near 420 amps at 12 volts - And any current that the alternator couldn't supply would have to come from the truck battery instead.

So, your neighbor's inverter might have been capable of supplying 5,000 watts - but only for the several minutes it would have taken to completely discharge the truck battery.
View Quote
Hold my beer, and watch my reply.

He idled the truck motor.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:59:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By kinglou0:
Thanks for following up with the video. Very comparable to a Honda. Might even be a tad bit quieter.
View Quote
Not a problem. I'm very happy with the noise levels or lack thereof.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:19:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fl-ar-fan] [#36]
So, would the 2000 watt be enought to run a fridge, and maybe a couple of lamps?  and maybe a fan too?
View Quote
My Honda 2000 ran a French door fridge/freezer, TV, Dish receiver, table lamp and coffee pot for two days at my parents house. Used about  3gallons of gas.

If the HF Predators are half as good as the Honda, they're worth every penny.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:26:37 AM EDT
[#37]
This is my setup.

Runs one leg of the panel so I have to shut down any 240 breakers. I have all of the stuff I want to run on the powered leg.

Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:40:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: danpass] [#38]
Originally Posted By Ford302:
This is my setup.

Runs one leg of the panel so I have to shut down any 240 breakers. I have all of the stuff I want to run on the powered leg.

https://i.imgur.com/SQsTcJF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JsSzhbc.jpg
View Quote
But what manner of sorcery did you use to connect the typical wall outlet to that NEMA plug?

Every Y-adapter I see out there has the wall pattern side as female.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:43:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By danpass:
But what manner of sorcery did you use to connect the typical wall outlet to that NEMA plug?

View All Quotes
This is my setup.

See the RV sized plug on the generator on the right.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:47:59 AM EDT
[#40]

View Quote
Ah.  Twas not very clear that it was the 'other' model of eu2000i.

Potato pic and all ...
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#41]
This is my setup.

View Quote
That is what I did with my EU3000. Installing a main breaker interlock is not hard. You can even buy a panel cover that has it. Or cut in a 100 Amp 16/20/24 circuit panel under you existing panel and have a dedicated emergency power panel. Half a day tops and your all set.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:12:23 AM EDT
[#42]

View Quote
3 wire 240VAC appliances (L1, L2, GND) would see 0VAC with L1 and L2 bridged.  So nothing would happen and no damage.
4 wire 240VAC appliances (L1, L2, NEUT, GND) would see 0VAC across the 240V portion and 120VAC across the 120V portion.  So something like a dryer, the control panel would operate, but the drum would not turn and the heating element would not heat.  Should not damage anything.

But prudent practice would be to turn off all 240V breakers when bridging L1 and L2 like this.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By phatmax:
I have a regular generator with 9000 running watts.  I have to keep reminding myself, I have never had to use it for an outage, but if I do, I won't really be too worried about the neighbors.  I don't need to spend 700 bucks on another, quieter generator, that I probably won't need for years, if at all.
View Quote
A smaller, inverter, generator would consume less fuel.  
That would give you options when your power demands were lower and extend your fuel supply longer.

That's why I have two Honda EU2000s and a HF8750/7000.  Flexibility.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:20:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Desert_AIP:

A smaller, inverter, generator would consume less fuel.  
That would give you options when your power demands were lower and extend your fuel supply longer.

That's why I have two Honda EU2000s and a HF8750/7000.  Flexibility.
View Quote
Stopppppppp.... you aren't helping!!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:23:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Desert_AIP] [#45]

Potato pic and all ...
View Quote
I would buy the "companion" model as your first EU2000 because of the ease of hooking it to an interlock due to that plug.
Then, if I bought a second one later, I would buy the standard model.

Also, you can parallel them with a suicide cord (male plugs on both ends) instead of through the parallel ports (the outputs of the standard power outlets and parallel ports are wired together).
You just have to be aware that if one end of that cord is plugged into a running generator the other end will be live.  So plug both ends into their respective generators before starting either one.
This method joins the grounds more easily than using the screw terminals.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:26:38 AM EDT
[#46]

Potato pic and all ...
View All Quotes

Potato pic and all ...
Totally Potato!
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:34:02 AM EDT
[#47]
OP, I paid $410.00 on fathers day weekend.  I have probably 200 hours on it and I am happy so far.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#48]
I was wondering how  you guys were setting up...just an octopus of cords running around the house?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:13:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Did you guys opt for the extended service plan on the HF generators?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:15:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Krauss] [#50]
Did you guys opt for the extended service plan on the HF generators?
View Quote
there's a coupon for 2 year free. I got it on the one i got. The lady scanned it out of the little catalog?
Page / 105
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top