BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 105
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:13:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:

Probably some Engrish going on there.  I'd guess they meant to say to do a break-in change at 8 hours, then every 6 months or 100 hours after that.
View Quote
After looking at the Honda Manual, that's how I read it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:17:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By klinc:
I like the quietness of those littler inverters. I do not like the price tag of them, though. 

I'll keep my 5550/8500 noise maker that was free and my 3500/4000 that was $225 which both are getting major workouts this week. 

I'll go sit in the corner over here and be poor. 
View Quote
Lol   (on your poor comment, not having to run your generator)
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:18:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I ran the refrigerator/fan/laptop/phone charger for 9.5 hours today and the fuel gauge is 1/8-1/4 tank and started with a full tank. Kill A Watt showed 2.2 KWA over that 9.5 hours so average load was only 230W. Probably could have gone longer but I fired up the big generator to run my well pump so I switched everything over to that.

My refrigerator uses about 200 watts when the compressor isn't running and 600-700 when the compressor kicks on. Not sure exactly what the startup surge pulls but both the generator and a 900W rated UPS on battery only have been able to handle it. Sticker shows Full Load Amperage of 6.5A.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:19:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By FOX184:
Why are you carrying around a generator if you have an injured back?
View Quote
Hahahaaa!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:20:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:
I'd like to know more about the oil change interval.  If true that would be a deal-breaker for me.  Achilles heel of China-made stuff.
View Quote
i don't know about the hf ones, but other 2kw gen sets usually have one at 8 hrs, then every 100 hrs. the honda has their first one at 20 hours, then every 100 hrs
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:27:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By danpass:
Nice, good to hear.

My Champion Inverter Genny 75531i 2800/3100 which was supposed to be delivered last Friday, was delivered today, which is the day after power came back on.

In the meantime I made do with my dirty-power, smoke and noise generator, which turned out to have a bad carb float and flooded the crankcase and cylinder (and carb), twice; because I didn't recognize what it was the first time, despite changing the oil, pulling the spark plug and cranking the fuel out of the cylinder.

Am I bitter that I wasn't able to use a nice, quiet, gas sipping, clean-power inverter genny when I needed it most?  Am I bitter that UPS decided to hold up the shipment on LITERALLY THE LAST FUCKING DAY!!!!!

No, I'm not bitter ... ********s.
View Quote
Sounds like you shouldn't have ordered a generator during a hurricane....
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:28:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By FL_Roscoe:
I ran the refrigerator/fan/laptop/phone charger for 9.5 hours today and the fuel gauge is 1/8-1/4 tank and started with a full tank. Kill A Watt showed 2.2 KWA over that 9.5 hours so average load was only 230W. Probably could have gone longer but I fired up the big generator to run my well pump so I switched everything over to that.

My refrigerator uses about 200 watts when the compressor isn't running and 600-700 when the compressor kicks on. Not sure exactly what the startup surge pulls but both the generator and a 900W rated UPS on battery only have been able to handle it. Sticker shows Full Load Amperage of 6.5A.
View Quote
And you have the 2000 watt?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:31:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Can these be converted to propane? Cars don't run regular so I can't really cycle/rotate fuel.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:32:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By OilfieldTrash78:

And you have the 2000 watt?
View Quote
Yes
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:35:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Skibane:

The 2KW Champion regularly goes on sale for $500 or so, and comes with a standard 3 year warranty.

Unlike HF, Champion has a reputation for good build quality, and excellent customer support.

http://chainsawjournal.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Champion-power-equipment-parallel-kit-73536i-2.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Skibane:
Originally Posted By AKCory762:
I messed my back up this week so i've been home icing it.

Well I got sick of sitting in the house so I was waltzing around HF yesterday. End up grabbing one of the 2000 watt extra quiet little guy generators. $550ish out the door and they gave me a free 2 year full replacement warranty.

I stopped at my land to try and be productive. So fired this little guy up. Wow is it quiet.

I threw on 3 LED work lights and my radio. Ran for about 6 hours and barley came off full tank.

Who else is using one??? Anything else i should grab for it?

https://i.imgur.com/z0CKzSW.jpg

The 2KW Champion regularly goes on sale for $500 or so, and comes with a standard 3 year warranty.

Unlike HF, Champion has a reputation for good build quality, and excellent customer support.

http://chainsawjournal.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Champion-power-equipment-parallel-kit-73536i-2.jpg
I would have went Champion also, for any part you just call their CA office and get them fast. I love mine buts it's just a regular 3000/3500 however I'm thinking on adding one the invertors.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By THE_BUSHMAN:
6 gallon boat tank is your friend. I made my own setup.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By THE_BUSHMAN:
Originally Posted By Ford302:

I recommend getting the 5 gallon extended run tank setup.
6 gallon boat tank is your friend. I made my own setup.
Could you expand on that?  I have a Honda 2000eu, and was thinking about getting one---had it saved in my amazon wish list---somehow gone now. . . came with all the hoses, etc. . 
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:04:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll take a few videos tonight so you guys can hear the noise level of you would like.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:24:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll take a few videos tonight so you guys can hear the noise level of you would like.
View Quote
I would like to see/hear a vid!
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:27:25 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote
Please do.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:28:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I just bought one.  All you have to do is go the the main web page and scroll down they are on sale for $399 when you add it to the cart.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:33:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I would get one that has enough startup amperage for a sump pump, and a fridge.

I have a Yamaha EF2000is, but it cost $980. Power hasn't gone out since I bought it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By FL_Roscoe:

Yes
View Quote
Do you think it would run the fridge without the ups?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:35:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Think I'm gonna get one to augment my Powermate (assuming I can get it running making power again). Just did a quick test and it came in at 80dB @ 23'.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:36:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a coupon for this for 399 at the moment. Tempting.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:36:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Can it support a frig?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Chaingun:
Can it support a frig?
View Quote
I have been running two fridges on one Honda 2000 for 3 days.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:51:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Be advised that there is a negative review on HF's website regarding the suitability of these generators for use with communications equipment. Poor RF filtering is often a problem with inexpensive electronic equipment like this one. If the review is accurate, by using one of these you're probably going to not have the ability to use AM radio, any HF/shortwave radio or receiver, CB, and might even have interference with FM, broadcast TV, marine, or NOAA weather receivers. You might also cause interference to others in your area trying to use such communications services.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:00:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks OP, just ordered one. Should have ordered one about 2 weeks ago.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:05:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cpt_Kirks] [#24]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
Be advised that there is a negative review on HF's website regarding the suitability of these generators for use with communications equipment. Poor RF filtering is often a problem with inexpensive electronic equipment like this one. If the review is accurate, by using one of these you're probably going to not have the ability to use AM radio, any HF/shortwave radio or receiver, CB, and might even have interference with FM, broadcast TV, marine, or NOAA weather receivers. You might also cause interference to others in your area trying to use such communications services.
View Quote
How hard would it be to make a simple, well grounded Faraday Cage to go around the generator?

You might also need chokes on any power cord plugged into it.

Also, run the comm gear with a UPS.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:08:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By GunLvrPHD:
Would it be safe to run one on a condo balcony?
View Quote
Cant imagine why it wouldn't be.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:27:47 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote
Let's see. Save a freezer full of food and run some lights or play radio. I guarantee that with the power off throughout my neighborhood that the noise floor will be ultra low and whatever hash/emissions that arise from this generator would be moot.

That review specifically mentioned a field day environment during the winter. I bet that these geniuses had the generator in their laps. I rarely believe those type of reviews without personally knowing the amateur that posted it. Lot of appliance operators out there.

The Honda that I've borrowed to top off batteries during various field day events has never been an issue and I bet this Honda clone wouldn't be an issue either.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#27]
I have two Yamaha, ef2000is that I can run parallel for bigger draw or single for smaller draw.
Pretty sure someone makes a cord for the HF model
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:42:03 PM EDT
[#28]
I have the 3500 watt one, it runs good and quiet. It hasn't even hiccuped when I keep plugging more crap in to test it out. Id get the 3500 over the 2000 because its only $200 more and you wont have to worry about using a parallel cable and itll run a whole camper with A/C versus bridging two of them. Use 10w30 full synthetic and change it at 5 hours, 25 hours and then every 25-50 after that depending on environment and how long it sits.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Nootropics:
I have the 3500 watt one, it runs good and quiet. It hasn't even hiccuped when I keep plugging more crap in to test it out. Id get the 3500 over the 2000 because its only $200 more and you wont have to worry about using a parallel cable and itll run a whole camper with A/C versus bridging two of them. Use 10w30 full synthetic and change it at 5 hours, 25 hours and then every 25-50 after that depending on environment and how long it sits.
View Quote
What's the fuel use at low and high loads? Have you timed how long a gallon will get you under different loads?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:57:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By mitsuman47:
What's the fuel use at low and high loads? Have you timed how long a gallon will get you under different loads?
View Quote
It holds 2.4 gallons, Ive ran it for about 14 hours and it still hasn't used the first tank, I had a fridge, dishwasher (1 full cycle), box fan, LED light and router plugged into it. Just for testing and left ECO mode on, never hiccuped. I would say ill get 18-20 hours on a tank on a moderate load.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:01:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoseCuervo] [#31]
Originally Posted By Nootropics:

It holds 2.4 gallons, Ive ran it for about 14 hours and it still hasn't used the first tank, I had a fridge, dishwasher (1 full cycle), box fan, LED light and router plugged into it. Just for testing and left ECO mode on, never hiccuped. I would say ill get 18-20 hours on a tank on a moderate load.
View Quote
Do you use an extension cord and splitter? I can't picture this running between  in the kitchen and laundry room.  ETA:, was thinking washing machine.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:05:02 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote
So I can use it as either a generator or frequency jammer?  Sounds like a plus to me.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:14:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Absolutely best deal by far on a 2K watt inverter genny. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Champion-Power-Equipment-1-700-2-000-Watt-Recoil-Start-Gasoline-Powered-Portable-Inverter-Generator-73536i/203791700

Great warranty and company support. Fukkers are bulletproof.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:24:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By nowgrn4:
Absolutely best deal by far on a 2K watt inverter genny. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Champion-Power-Equipment-1-700-2-000-Watt-Recoil-Start-Gasoline-Powered-Portable-Inverter-Generator-73536i/203791700

View Quote
Bummer. It tells me out of stock online, not sold in stores. It does look like a deal. 
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:27:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Coupon code for the 3500?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:29:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By JoseCuervo:

Do you use an extension cord and splitter? I can't picture this running between  in the kitchen and laundry room.  ETA:, was thinking washing machine.

Thanks
View Quote
Yep just a basic tangle of extension cords, my main one into the house is a big fat one though.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:31:23 PM EDT
[#37]
You guys are hard on my wallet!!!

Just ordered for $399

Thanks OP
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:05:51 PM EDT
[#38]
This thread reminded my to change the oil in all three of my gennys.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:11:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Bummer. It tells me out of stock online, not sold in stores. It does look like a deal. 
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By nowgrn4:

Same here. 

I had my credit card ready... 
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:24:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FerrousDueler] [#40]
The 2000 watt HF inverter  (and WEN 2000w) is mechanically the same as a Yamaha model. Some where there are photos comparing them, the others are just missing the yamaha lettering on the engine. I bought one of the HFs last year. It's pretty quiet, but I haven't had a reason to use it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:25:18 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote
I'm guessing they didn't have it grounded properly and got a bunch of RF noise as a result. Poor grounding, both electrical and RF, can cause problems regardless of the type of generator used.

I got a Honda eu2000i at the Gander Mountain implosion sale. Got a great discount. Still plan to get one of the 3500s because it would be so much quieter than the 5500W and 7500W non-inverter units that I have. BTW, HF claims that with their parallel unit that they sell for $49, you can parallel two HF2000 or an HF2000 and a Honda or two Hondas.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:32:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Hitman9921:
Coupon code for the 3500?
View Quote
47344769 gives you 50 bux off. That's the only one I've seen and it appears to work.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:34:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By HappyCamel:
Can these be converted to propane? Cars don't run regular so I can't really cycle/rotate fuel.
View Quote
Is there a propane/dual fuel version?  Conversion possible?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:41:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Cpt_Kirks:

The first time I saw one of those little Honda generators, I honestly thought the sound was a breeze blowing leaves.  It was that quiet.

Just exactly how quiet is your Predator?  How far away can you hear it at all?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cpt_Kirks:
I messed my back up this week so i've been home icing it.

Well I got sick of sitting in the house so I was waltzing around HF yesterday. End up grabbing one of the 2000 watt extra quiet little guy generators. $550ish out the door and they gave me a free 2 year full replacement warranty.

I stopped at my land to try and be productive. So fired this little guy up. Wow is it quiet.

I threw on 3 LED work lights and my radio. Ran for about 6 hours and barley came off full tank.

Who else is using one??? Anything else i should grab for it?

https://i.imgur.com/z0CKzSW.jpg

The first time I saw one of those little Honda generators, I honestly thought the sound was a breeze blowing leaves.  It was that quiet.

Just exactly how quiet is your Predator?  How far away can you hear it at all?
My Honda eu3000is is very quiet,and about as loud as a my RV air conditioner.  But it is a bit heavy to load in my truck.  And it always starts right up.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:45:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By planemaker:

47344769 gives you 50 bux off. That's the only one I've seen and it appears to work.
View Quote
How does that code work if you can't order it online?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:49:13 PM EDT
[#46]
My Honda eu3000is is very quiet,and about as loud as a my RV air conditioner.  But it is a bit heavy to load in my truck.  And it always starts right up
View Quote

I have the same Honda, it does get a little heavy.  

I'd be interested in hearing how the HF compares with the Honda, its quiet enough to sit just about beside it and carry on a conversation.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:51:22 PM EDT
[#47]
ost
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:51:44 PM EDT
[#48]
I have been reading the reviews for the last hour, having already bought one,  and many folks mention during the start up / break in period not exceeding 75% load per the manual. How are they measuring that do you think? A meter / Kill A Watt? Calculations? I didn't see a meter on the unit. Just curious.

Thanks 

Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:52:49 PM EDT
[#49]
I have the 2500 model. Got it last summer. They don't make it anymore but it is solid.  2000 wouldn't start my trailer A.C. without tripping sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:54:26 PM EDT
[#50]
OST
Page / 105
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top