Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/3/2003 7:48:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/3/2003 7:51:34 PM EDT by Matt]
The stages of gun ownership/accumulation Over the years I think I have seen a few different “phases” of gun ownership pass. Types, prices, related accessories have come and gone mainly according to the amount of money I was willing to spend. First phase consisted of a few different SKS’s, a blackpowder revolver, and a Taurus 92, Accessories included a laser for the Taurus, some sort of folding stock and a 30 round mag for the last SKS. That lasted a few years. Next phase prices went up. A Springfield Mil-Spec, and my first Bushmaster AR. Many magazines for the AR, a Colt carry handle scope, hard case. After that AR left my possession the pace picked up. Norinco 84S-1, a couple milled Bulgarian postbans, another 84S rebuilt later into a SBR “krinkov,” an M1A, DSA SA58 FAL, 50-61 FAL, CMP Garand, CMP M1903, a few other AR types, Robarms M96, Beretta M9 and a couple bolt action C&R types. Untold accessories for all; mags, slings, scopes. Tried em all out, had fun, now they’re almost all gone. Most recent phase: the classics. Replaced the CMP with a Miltech Garand cause I missed it, got a M1917 Remington at a gun show, replaced the Springfield Mil-Spec, ordered a Norinco M97 trenchgun. Not many high cap mags or other doo-dads around to soup these up and that’s just the way I like it now. This phase is cheaper and feels more “authentic” than what passed before. What I have now duplicates the function and design of genuine military hardware even if it isn’t (Mil-Spec, Norinco) or it really is original (Garand, M1917). Any of this stuff is subject to replacement too, I suppose. There is a constant turmoil and turnover going on in my gun collection. You guys do this too?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:14:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:19:41 PM EDT
Like you, I worked my way up to more expensive guns. I also was a gadget freak, but I find guns hold their value better. I have sold guns, sometimes they were bad choices for myself, some didn't work as well as I wanted. The two I regret the most were an M1 Carbine and a AK-74 clone.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:23:30 PM EDT
I do the same thing... One month, it's handguns.. The next, EBR's.. The next, more bolt guns.. The next, shotguns.. The next, antiques... It's weird.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:46:16 PM EDT
my first phase was complete when I owned a 22, a 30-06, an AR, and a durned scattergun. Branched into pistols, then then old bolt action 22 and CF rifles. Next phase was curio and relics, 3 at a time. Keep them in boxes in the garage till I get the desire to clean them up. I don't think I will ever sell another gun if I have the choice. Regretted every baby I've ever sold to that uncaring world out there.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:02:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:05:16 PM EDT
Phase 1: Buy first gun for self defense, Good job Phase 2: buy another and justify it. Phase 3: Figure out how to keep justifying every new gun without getting kicked out of the house. Phase 4: I'll tell you all about it when I figure out phase 3! [stick]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:49:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By sherrick13: I've only had one stage. Buy guns and never sell them.
View Quote
That's my outlook too.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:10:25 AM EDT
My first phase lasted from birth up through the age of 21. In this phase I never had more than a hunting shotgun, a riot shotgun, a centerfire rifle and a few 22's. Once I hit 21 that's when I became an official gun nut. While I was saving money to purchase one gun, I would already be planning the next purchase! I do believe this is an addiction. So I think I am now in phase 2 and will probably remain in this phase until they plant me. But hey, I enjoy it. This is sort of like an adult version of baseball cards and action figures rolled into one...only more expensive! But we get pleasure from it, so it's a good thing. If it wasn't guns we'd just be blowing our money on worthless electronics or something anyway.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:53:23 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:39:07 PM EDT
Top Top