Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2003 7:48:17 PM EDT
The stages of gun ownership/accumulation

Over the years I think I have seen a few different “phases” of gun ownership pass. Types, prices, related accessories have come and gone mainly according to the amount of money I was willing to spend. First phase consisted of a few different SKS’s, a blackpowder revolver, and a Taurus 92, Accessories included a laser for the Taurus, some sort of folding stock and a 30 round mag for the last SKS. That lasted a few years. Next phase prices went up. A Springfield Mil-Spec, and my first Bushmaster AR. Many magazines for the AR, a Colt carry handle scope, hard case. After that AR left my possession the pace picked up. Norinco 84S-1, a couple milled Bulgarian postbans, another 84S rebuilt later into a SBR “krinkov,” an M1A, DSA SA58 FAL, 50-61 FAL, CMP Garand, CMP M1903, a few other AR types, Robarms M96, Beretta M9 and a couple bolt action C&R types. Untold accessories for all; mags, slings, scopes. Tried em all out, had fun, now they’re almost all gone. Most recent phase: the classics. Replaced the CMP with a Miltech Garand cause I missed it, got a M1917 Remington at a gun show, replaced the Springfield Mil-Spec, ordered a Norinco M97 trenchgun. Not many high cap mags or other doo-dads around to soup these up and that’s just the way I like it now. This phase is cheaper and feels more “authentic” than what passed before. What I have now duplicates the function and design of genuine military hardware even if it isn’t (Mil-Spec, Norinco) or it really is original (Garand, M1917). Any of this stuff is subject to replacement too, I suppose. There is a constant turmoil and turnover going on in my gun collection. You guys do this too?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:14:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:19:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Like you, I worked my way up to more expensive guns.
I also was a gadget freak, but I find guns hold their value better.

I have sold guns, sometimes they were bad choices for myself, some didn't work as well as I wanted.

The two I regret the most were an M1 Carbine and a AK-74 clone.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:23:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I do the same thing...
One month, it's handguns..
The next, EBR's..
The next, more bolt guns..
The next, shotguns..
The next, antiques...

It's weird.

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#4]
my first phase was complete when I owned a 22, a 30-06, an AR, and a durned scattergun.

Branched into pistols, then then old bolt action 22 and CF rifles.

Next phase was curio and relics, 3 at a time.  Keep them in boxes in the garage till I get the desire to clean them up.

I don't think I will ever sell another gun if I have the choice.  Regretted every baby I've ever sold to that uncaring world out there.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:02:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:05:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Phase 1: Buy first gun for self defense, Good  job

Phase 2: buy another and justify it.

Phase 3: Figure out how to keep justifying every new gun without getting kicked out of the house.
Phase 4: I'll tell you all about it when I figure out phase 3!

[stick]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:49:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've only had one stage.  Buy guns and never sell them.
View Quote

That's my outlook too.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:10:25 AM EDT
[#8]
My first phase lasted from birth up through the age of 21. In this phase I never had more than a hunting shotgun, a riot shotgun, a centerfire rifle and a few 22's. Once I hit 21 that's when I became an official gun nut. While I was saving money to purchase one gun, I would already be planning the next purchase! I do believe this is an addiction. So I think I am now in phase 2 and will probably remain in this phase until they plant me. But hey, I enjoy it. This is sort of like an adult version of baseball cards and action figures rolled into one...only more expensive! But we get pleasure from it, so it's a good thing. If it wasn't guns we'd just be blowing our money on worthless electronics or something anyway.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:53:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:39:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top